News Forum - Thailand U-turns on Covid-19 vaccine entry requirement

Thaiger

15 hours ago, BBY said:

I guess the Chinese partnered hotels will be full. Probably of infected people after a short time

Sounds like a good way to contain the threat - bring them in and then close the doors stopping them from moving among 'clean' people and infesting them.

15 hours ago, Danbrooks2k said:

As a paramedic, being stuck in an elevator with people coming from a viral hotspot with zero restrictions sounds like a nightmare!

The same race as has been seen/videoed

spitting on elevator buttons in the hope they are contagious...

15 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Does this mean that anyone in Thailand coming in contact with tourists from China will be at heightened risk of Covid I wonder?

Rhetorical question, surely. The only possible answer is a resounding YES! The only one who apparently doesn't (or refuses to) see this is the power-hungry Anutin.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

The same race as has been seen/videoed

spitting on elevator buttons in the hope they are contagious...

This is actually not such a rare phenomenon.  There was a video of a man in Thailand putting his hand down his pants and then pressing the buttons in an elevator in Bangkok.  The news reports didn't mention his nationality.  I assume he was Thai.  I have seen similar reports of this behaviour in other countries as well.  

19 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

This is actually not such a rare phenomenon.  There was a video of a man in Thailand putting his hand down his pants and then pressing the buttons in an elevator in Bangkok.  The news reports didn't mention his nationality.  I assume he was Thai.  I have seen similar reports of this behaviour in other countries as well.  

I never press elevator buttons with my bare hands for this very reason. Always use the edge of the key card or a car/motorbike key. I tend not to put either of them anywhere near my mouth.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I never press elevator buttons with my bare hands for this very reason. Always use the edge of the key card or a car/motorbike key. I tend not to put either of them anywhere near my mouth.

Same same for me.  If nothing else, Covid has taught us to be little more mindful.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

It's better to acknowledge & revert a bad decision and be laughed at than to stubbornly stick with it in an attempt to reduce the amount of laughter.

From that perspective, Anutins choice is quite admirable: sense prevailed over loss of face and what's more: it took mere hours instead of the weeks I was expecting. Perhaps this experience is used as a motivation to  think things through & consult first before deciding next time, but I'm afraid that's hoping for too much.

It's one thing for government to be responsive to sensible, constructive criticism; that is commendable, no argument there. 

It's the apparent lack of professional acumen on display when the Thai Government goes wide on a significant policy, seemingly without thorough consideration and a sanity check by an adult in the room.  They court being mocked and losing face the same way, over and over again. 

The last unsolicited brain fart from the Good Idea Fairies in BKK was an effort to attract foreign tourists back to Thailand by publicly announcing foreign tourists would be charged more for their hotel rooms in Thailand.  :classic_blink:

Now, some of us would ass-ume through our western filter that this had been socialized with the Chiefs of the hospitality industry in advance.   Their stunned silence and wide, unblinking eyeballs suggested otherwise, as did their very diplomatic response.  And then all you can do is wait for it to die a quick death in the media churn cycle and hope nobody remembers. 

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 6:44 AM, Rookiescot said:

Yeah but cynical old farangs know the difference between what were sensible covid precautions and simply letting the disease rip through an entire population which is unprepared for it.

you need to step away from your TV and go outside 🤣  I.  Its ok to step outside and start living our life again.  

These butt heads haven't a clue how to manage tourism. Desperation is driving most of the illogical rules and procedures. These friggen Chinese are going to bring a wave of infections, and start the whole  quarantine process over again.  Wait until they start hitting the BTS and MRT systems which are incubators for spreading the omnicron strain.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Congratulations Thailand....90% of the HENAN province populations has been infected by covid as at 9th Jan 2023....

That's actually good news, because those people won't be contagious anymore on Chinese New Year - assuming the majority of tourists from China come around then. I am sure Thailand will still "win" quite a few new infections anyway as a result of opening legs arms to them - but hopefully by the time the real masses come the percetage infected will be lower than the reported 30% landing in Korea/Taiwan/etc currently.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Soidog said:

Use your knuckle.

You can inadvertently touch your mouth or rub you eye with a finger but you are far less likely to use your knuckle.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Use your knuckle.

You can inadvertently touch your mouth or rub you eye with a finger but you are far less likely to use your knuckle.

Or your toe 😂😂

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Or your toe 😂😂

"Woman uses her foot to press elevator buttons in China"
While I shouldn't post a link to this in the news, search the phrase above on Yahoo, it's in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

"Woman uses her foot to press elevator buttons in China"
While I shouldn't post a link to this in the news, search the phrase above on Yahoo, it's in there.

No, you should provide a link to an article inferred as fact.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, Pompies said:

Or am I being a cynical old farang

All old farang are cynical, but we - WE - have seen it time and again, not only in the Land of Smiles, but home countries as well. The best adjectival group I can come up with for the long-tailed PM wannabe is village idiot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Use your knuckle.

I actually do use my knuckle if no card or key. Just did this at my hotel in Bangkok. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I actually do use my knuckle if no card or key. Just did this at my hotel in Bangkok. 

I tend to do the same. But using your index finger knuckle is normally the one you use to scratch or stroke the bottom of your nose when it’s itchy ! 

All about percentage chance and reducing risk of catching a virus to spoil you week as best you can. 

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I tend to do the same. But using your index finger knuckle is normally the one you use to scratch or stroke the bottom of your nose when it’s itchy ! 

All about percentage chance and reducing risk of catching a virus to spoil you week as best you can. 

How bigs your bloody nose if you have to use a clenched fist to scratch it? 😛

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

How bigs your bloody nose if you have to use a clenched fist to scratch it? 😛

😂😂. Actually I meant the joint on your finger, not knuckle. But to answer your question. Pretty big, like my knuckle. So watch it 😂😂

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2023 at 12:11 PM, Manu said:

Well then that makes 88 millions Chinese safe to come to Thailand virus free in 14 days...

You have a point. And it should be no problem if China had been less deceiving until now. But there is a small chance that something bad could emerge from the sheer number of infections that happened. The way their crematoriums are overloaded isn't too reassuring.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

Actually I either use my sleeve part on my wrist or if no jacket then the top part of my wrist. I have this thing about public showing of fingers near on on or in your nose loooking like about to dig or are digging for gold. If anyone is going to pick the nose or even scratch the bottom of the nostril area, then they need to do it where it cannot be seen.

• Haha 3