News Forum - Thailand U-turns on Covid-19 vaccine entry requirement

Thaiger

Just days after Thailand reintroduced the two-dose Covid-19 vaccine entry requirement, Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul says the requirement will be dropped with immediate effect. However, the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has informed airlines globally that unvaccinated tourists must provide either proof of recovery from Covid-19 in the past six months or a doctor’s note explaining why they are not vaccinated. Airlines are under current instructions not to let unvaccinated passengers board the plane to Thailand unless they have either of the aforementioned documents. If Anutin’s most recent statement is true, perhaps the CAAT is in the process of […]

The story Thailand U-turns on Covid-19 vaccine entry requirement as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

As I mentioned earlier.....first it was "breaking news" and it becomes "break the breaking news" and now it is "break the break the breaking news".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, feelmyrhythm said:

Was just about to post on this after hearing about the U-turn on the  BBC World Service

Yes, the whole world is now laughing at this laughing stock. Do Thais understand the concept of Loss of Face? They claim it to be central to their culture. I think they’ve misunderstood what it means. 

Does the following definition ring any bells with them I wonder? Doubt it.

6F7B7632-8F3A-40C6-BFAA-A3F6D53D9878.jpeg

• Like 3

Is it a coincidence that when this latest clusterfup from the MOPH is announced a certain Prayuth is being graciously installed as the leader of a certain political party? It sure makes Anutin look like a complete bungling fool who cannot be trusted to become the next PM at the General Election whenever that might be. Or am I being a cynical old farang!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Pompies said:

Is it a coincidence that when this latest clusterfup from the MOPH is announced a certain Prayuth is being graciously installed as the leader of a certain political party? It sure makes Anutin look like a complete bungling fool who cannot be trusted to become the next PM at the General Election whenever that might be. Or am I being a cynical old farang!

Normally I would agree that this is a cynical political move. Only problem is that 99.9% of Thais are oblivious to this nonsense. If they know of it, they won’t be comprehending the damage this is doing. They won’t question the credibility of those causing it. The travel industry and the travelling public have been in turmoil with it over the past week, but to most Thais they won’t care. They won’t look at this and then relate it to all the other issues that do affect them and conclude Anutin can’t be trusted. I’m afraid the saying that people get the government they deserve is very applicable in Thailand. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pompies said:

Possibly. It doesn't matter either way to the 'cynical old farangs' as they can do nothing about it, apart from stew in their own frustration. Good luck to them. Have a wonderful evening. 😀

• Like 1

Must be the fastest change to a ruling in history, the chop n change rules I doubt will encourage the tourist ,how can they take confidence to book flights and hotels when rules of entry change from day to day.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Possibly. It doesn't matter either way to the 'cynical old farangs' as they can do nothing about it, apart from stew in their own frustration. Good luck to them. Have a wonderful evening. 😀

Yeah but cynical old farangs know the difference between what were sensible covid precautions and simply letting the disease rip through an entire population which is unprepared for it.

Cynical old farangs saw their countries get vaccinated with working vaccines before slowly lifting precautionary measures until we reached the point we could essentially go back to normal.

Now lets compare and contrast with China shall we Poolie?

Vaccines that never worked against the original strain never mind subsequent mutations.

A zero covid policy which meant extreme measures to isolate millions of people including welding the doors shut on their homes.

Closed borders even after three years from the initial outbreak of the disease which was in China by the way. In Wuhan in fact. Where they were experimenting with the virus no less.

And then the riots started. Now Emperor Xi can put down a riot here and there where they are isolated but the entire country started to erupt. A little bit of poo came out of Emperor Xi at that point.

Suddenly covid was no worse than a cold and lets open everything up!

Except the population was not ready for it. No vaccine protection and no natural immunity. 

You still have not responded to the videos I posted showing the horrific images from Chinese hospitals and mortuaries. 

I wonder why.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes, the whole world is now laughing at this laughing stock. Do Thais understand the concept of Loss of Face? They claim it to be central to their culture. I think they’ve misunderstood what it means. 

It's better to acknowledge & revert a bad decision and be laughed at than to stubbornly stick with it in an attempt to reduce the amount of laughter.

From that perspective, Anutins choice is quite admirable: sense prevailed over loss of face and what's more: it took mere hours instead of the weeks I was expecting. Perhaps this experience is used as a motivation to  think things through & consult first before deciding next time, but I'm afraid that's hoping for too much.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Perhaps this experience is used as a motivation to  think things through & consult first before deciding next time, but I'm afraid that's hoping for too much.

Yes, if only!

Learning from mistakes is also an alien concept to many Thais. From the village idiot who falls off their bike and hurts their head still not wearing a helmet, to the Army leaders who keep on holding Coups and the country going nowhere. 

• Like 5

After welcoming Chinese tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport today, Anutin told reporters that Thailand would immediately cancel the vaccine requirement, citing…

“Most people in Thailand, and all countries of the world, are vaccinated against Covid-19. Having to prove it with documentation is inconvenient and unnecessary.”

Thailand welcomed its first post-pandemic flight from China this morning and expects 3,465 passengers from China to arrive over the course of the day, said Anutin.

Mentioned on another thread that he was possibly busy organising masks for the Chinese arrival. 🤣

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah but cynical old farangs know the difference between what were sensible covid precautions and simply letting the disease rip through an entire population which is unprepared for it.

Cynical old farangs saw their countries get vaccinated with working vaccines before slowly lifting precautionary measures until we reached the point we could essentially go back to normal.

Now lets compare and contrast with China shall we Poolie?

Vaccines that never worked against the original strain never mind subsequent mutations.

A zero covid policy which meant extreme measures to isolate millions of people including welding the doors shut on their homes.

Closed borders even after three years from the initial outbreak of the disease which was in China by the way. In Wuhan in fact. Where they were experimenting with the virus no less.

And then the riots started. Now Emperor Xi can put down a riot here and there where they are isolated but the entire country started to erupt. A little bit of poo came out of Emperor Xi at that point.

Suddenly covid was no worse than a cold and lets open everything up!

Except the population was not ready for it. No vaccine protection and no natural immunity. 

You still have not responded to the videos I posted showing the horrific images from Chinese hospitals and mortuaries. 

I wonder why.

It works both ways. If Chinese would be barred from entering the rest of the world, the local stew would be bound to come up with novel variants no-one else has protection against. Right now China has a local problem. That doesn't make it a global problem, but if Chinese were to be barred it would eventually become a one.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, palooka said:

After welcoming Chinese tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport today, Anutin told reporters that Thailand would immediately cancel the vaccine requirement, citing…

“Most people in Thailand, and all countries of the world, are vaccinated against Covid-19. Having to prove it with documentation is inconvenient and unnecessary.”

Thailand welcomed its first post-pandemic flight from China this morning and expects 3,465 passengers from China to arrive over the course of the day, said Anutin.

Mentioned on another thread that he was possibly busy organising masks for the Chinese arrival. 🤣

Yes but any subsequent spread of the disease is down to dirty westerners. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chatogaster said:

It works both ways. If Chinese would be barred from entering the rest of the world, the local stew would be bound to come up with novel variants no-one else has protection against. Right now China has a local problem. That doesn't make it a global problem, but if Chinese were to be barred it would eventually become a one.

Oh this is quality stuff right here. A variant which originates in China (as did the original disease) and is spread around the world is a good thing and China is doing the world a favor by letting it happen?

😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Oh this is quality stuff right here. A variant which originates in China (as did the original disease) and is spread around the world is a good thing and China is doing the world a favor by letting it happen?

😂😂😂😂😂

You should re-read that "stuff" because your conclusion is logically unrelated to it. If that last sentence  should not be taken as a conclusion but rather as a sort of summary of my post, it's so incredibly much of the mark that I can't be bothered to explain. It'd be like arguing with a flat-worlder. 

• Like 1

Well... dang... I am a paramedic, I never had a choice not to get vaccinated if I wanted to continue to work, so I never even bothered to do the research. I work overseas ( Offshore ) and travel through an airport every 30 days. I am coming for 28 days starting the 24th of January. My best friend and his dad ( I've known them for 40 years ) are also coming ( first timers ). Both are healthy and happily non vaccinated. I got the news in time for them to go get the single dose J&J vaccine but didn't feel I have the right to tell anyone else what to do with their bodies. Neither wanted to get the vaccine and now they apparently don't have to.

I guess on the upside, anyone coming in the next 30 days probably already met the requirements and hopefully there isn't a huge outbreak with all the Chinese coming. I have nothing against them, not even a little... but they are coming from a real hotspot. That isn't my opinion as a person, that is my opinion as a medical provider with advanced education in epidemiology. 

I will say I have never seen a government $hit out and cancel regulations so fast. The US government is such a $hit show right now we couldn't pass a bill to announce breathing if constitutionally protected without a fist fight on the floor of the house and senate and all 50 states trying to get some kind of laws or funding out of it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

You should re-read that "stuff" because your conclusion is logically unrelated to it. If that last sentence  should not be taken as a conclusion but rather as a sort of summary of my post, it's so incredibly much of the mark that I can't be bothered to explain. It'd be like arguing with a flat-worlder. 

Yeah right. "Oh my post has just been shat on from a great height now I must try and act offended and pretend it makes no sense".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

😂😂😂😂😂

You cant make this stuff up.... LOL... There is a point that people's view on Covid becomes some kind of twisted political ideology. I feel bad for the Chinese, not the government but the people. But letting them loose from the hellscape, pandemic they are living in isn't helping the rest of the world. I am pretty educated on epidemiology as I work overseas and offshore as a paramedic trying to keep my crew healthy. Introducing a virus would get me fired, prosecuted and maybe a trip to the hospital... just crazy talk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danbrooks2k said:

You cant make this stuff up.... LOL... There is a point that people's view on Covid becomes some kind of twisted political ideology. I feel bad for the Chinese, not the government but the people. But letting them loose from the hellscape, pandemic they are living in isn't helping the rest of the world. I am pretty educated on epidemiology as I work overseas and offshore as a paramedic trying to keep my crew healthy. Introducing a virus would get me fired, prosecuted and maybe a trip to the hospital... just crazy talk.

These people are not engaged with logic. Their job is to try and stop anti Chinese rhetoric using whatever means necessary. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah right. "Oh my post has just been shat on from a great height now I must try and act offended and pretend it makes no sense".

It's up to you. Some parts of your post make some sense, but many don't. Opinions don't offend me, but unsupported/irrelevant facts and logical fallacies do. If I were you, I would defend my post by getting rid of them (i.e., clean the droppings from great heights -- really??) and getting up to a level where discussion is encouraged.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

It's up to you. Some parts of your post make some sense, but many don't. Opinions don't offend me, but unsupported/irrelevant facts and logical fallacies do. If I were you, I would defend my post by getting rid of them (i.e., clean the droppings from great heights -- really??) and getting up to a level where discussion is encouraged.

OK why is China exposing a new variant to the rest of the world a good thing?

That was what you originally posted was it not?

• Like 2