News Forum - Four new measures adopted for all foreign tourists arriving in Thailand

Thaiger

Thailand has adopted four new Covid-19 measures for all foreign tourists arriving in the Kingdom. The Public Health Ministry adopted the measures in response to the Chinese government’s decision to ease travel restrictions on their citizens starting January 8th. According to Thai PBS World, the new measures include: All visitors must have received at least two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine before their arrival All visitors should take out health insurance coverage, which includes Covid-19, before their departure for Thailand All visitors should wear face masks while travelling on public transport in Thailand and in public places and take rapid […]

The story Four new measures adopted for all foreign tourists arriving in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Everything was going fine on tourist front, now gone back to bad old restrictions days, rules out most of Europes under 30s,  can't see Indians  paying for extra costs, bye bye tourist revival 

It's really about the expected rush of Chinese tourists, they don't want to upset them by making only the Chinese show they have been vaccinated.Not that it would make any difference the vaccine in China is allegedly inferior to the western one

• Like 7

Any one know if the one dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccine is enough? Article says at least 2 doses but J&J vaccine is only 1 dose to be fully vaccinated.

This is very f*dup. They are doing it only because expecting chinese tourist rush, but everybody should suffer, so nobodies so called feelings get Hurt huh. Extremely illogical and super disrespectful to the rest of the foreign tourist. They need to rethink it. If you afraid of Chinese make this rules applicable only for chinese, why in the world for everyine else?? 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 5

Means absolutely nothing. they sho0uld say 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna with an Astrazenca or cannot come. That would stop the Chinese from traveling.

Honestly every country should just not allow the Chinese to to travel until they burn their Wuflu bat virus out in their own borders. I have had covid twice because of them and it is not an appreciated gift and this literally ruined the world for quite sometime and they still lie about saying it was not them who made and released it. 

• Like 6

So who is going to check the new requirements.

I can’t honestly see the worlds airlines or struggling airports stepping back to checking every passenger meets the requirements before travelling and if it’s going to be done at the arrivals point in Thailand. The airport will just clog up. 

it’s probably best for the rest of the world to stay away for now anyway, as Thailand is about to become heavily infected with new variants.

What with unreliable vaccines, undisclosed infection rates, fake documents and the number of visitors that will come. Thailand will soon place itself in the same place as China (a covid hot spot),

This will drive the rest of the world away, just when you we’re starting to get them back. Ironically, it’s not because they don’t have the vaccines, or the insurance. It’s just that they don’t need the queues and the hassle. Let alone the feeling of being thrown in the same bucket because of another nations inability. 

one step forward an three steps back. 

• Like 1

As usual not enough information included... is it then safe to assume that, since local representatives of insurance companies were present at the meeting, foreigners will be required to once again purchase the Thai insurance policies for covid 19? Or will my standard travel insurance suffice? 

I also agree with the assessment of the logistics of this. There is no way they can maintain the number of tourists they want - and need - while checking this paperwork at the borders. And also at flight check-in. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BBY said:

it’s probably best for the rest of the world to stay away for now anyway, as Thailand is about to become heavily infected with new variants.

What with unreliable vaccines, undisclosed infection rates, fake documents and the number of visitors that will come. Thailand will soon place itself in the same place as China (a covid hot spot),

This will drive the rest of the world away, just when you we’re starting to get them back.

It seems it is already to late. The world will probably stay away but only after the Chinese once again polute and infect everyone with their bat made virus and then they take it back to their country. If the CCP and Chinese do not like negative remarks made about them, then the first step would be to fess up that the virus was made in their lab and was released by accident or intentionally, and then be the big people and do not travel bringing their virus to everyone. Then the CCP needs to pay retribution to all countries in thw world. This should be in the zillions of dollars. I would also like to know why the CCP cancelled all domestic flights but allowed international to go on. Sinister.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Sawarot said:

As usual not enough information included... is it then safe to assume that, since local representatives of insurance companies were present at the meeting, foreigners will be required to once again purchase the Thai insurance policies for covid 19? Or will my standard travel insurance suffice? 

I also agree with the assessment of the logistics of this. There is no way they can maintain the number of tourists they want - and need - while checking this paperwork at the borders. And also at flight check-in. 

We all better read the small print of our travel insurance.I am only insured for medical problems,accident and repatriation.Covid might not be covered because it's ubiquitous,I had a few days with a wicked sore throat then a dry cough,the two most common symptoms of the latest variant.gargling with salt water helped.

1 hour ago, Bubble said:

This is very f*dup. They are doing it only because expecting chinese tourist rush, but everybody should suffer, so nobodies so called feelings get Hurt huh. Extremely illogical and super disrespectful to the rest of the foreign tourist. They need to rethink it. If you afraid of Chinese make this rules applicable only for chinese, why in the world for everyine else?? 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

It's quite straightforward: The Thai government is shit scared of the Chinese government.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

We have booked a months vacation in Thailand at the start of February. 4 of our group have not been vaccinated and so now will not be able to travel. They should have been a test certificate showing no covid as another method of entry. Also will airlines now have to check before boarding. All crazy as usual by Thai government in not thinking things through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Means absolutely nothing. they sho0uld say 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna with an Astrazenca or cannot come. That would stop the Chinese from traveling.

They can't do that without losing face about their own actions.

A lot of (poorer) Thais only got the Sinovac.

Interesting choice of the words “Must” and “Should”. The first one says Must have two Covid vaccinations. The rest are “Should”. This implies a desirable thing to do rather than mandatory. The Thai authorities really need to clarify this, especially for the Covid health insurance. If not, they are in danger of taking a big hit on tourism from countries other than China.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

They can't do that without losing face about their own actions.

A lot of (poorer) Thais only got the Sinovac.

Yeah, and they still will not admit that that useless venom should have been renamed Sinocrap. Most Thai came 360 degrees around after they got word that it was usless, but he took it with Astrazeneca whci isn't mdoel in itself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jlex305 said:

Any one know if the one dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccine is enough? Article says at least 2 doses but J&J vaccine is only 1 dose to be fully vaccinated.

In the past, the government accepted a single Janssen vaccination as sufficient.

"With the exception of the Janssen vaccine by Johnson & Johnson that only requires 1 dose to be fully inoculated, travellers need to have 2 vaccine doses of a vaccine. Now Thailand will accept mix and match vaccine cocktails but has determined exactly how much time should elapse between the 2 doses. Any combination of vaccines must be completed at least 2 weeks before departing to travel to Thailand." The Thaiger - December 12, 2021

This is a real kick in the nuts.  Im due to arrive on Sunday so hope this doesnt kick in before then.  Had a group of 4 friends who were going to meet us in February and they will now be cancelling.  And these are the types of tourists Thailand wants, all well off and throw money around.  When will they learn to stop punching themselves in the face?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrNovax said:

This is a real kick in the nuts.  Im due to arrive on Sunday so hope this doesnt kick in before then.  Had a group of 4 friends who were going to meet us in February and they will now be cancelling.  And these are the types of tourists Thailand wants, all well off and throw money around.  When will they learn to stop punching themselves in the face?

I personally would tell your friends to hold off cancelling if they can. I still think it’s ambiguous and could change in the next day or two. I’d give it until mid-week next week if you can. 

One thing that could complicate things is the comment about “should” have Covid insurance. It needs clarifying if this is a rule or a request. If it’s a rule then most Covid insurance these days insist on having been vaccinated. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Interesting choice of the words “Must” and “Should”. The first one says Must have two Covid vaccinations. The rest are “Should”. This implies a desirable thing to do rather than mandatory. The Thai authorities really need to clarify this, especially for the Covid health insurance. If not, they are in danger of taking a big hit on tourism from countries other than China.

I am OK on both vaccinations and insurance, and a quick check on the fine print on my UK issued policy found that it does specifically state that covid cover is included. I just hope that it will not be necessary to purchase Thai issued insurance as well, especially as I am due to arrive in less than a weeks time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I personally would tell your friends to hold off cancelling if they can. I still think it’s ambiguous and could change in the next day or two. I’d give it until mid-week next week if you can. 

One thing that could complicate things is the comment about “should” have Covid insurance. It needs clarifying if this is a rule or a request. If it’s a rule then most Covid insurance these days insist on having been vaccinated. 

Yea, they were about to buy tickets (today) and we told them to hold off till this is finalized.  We will see what happens in the next week.  If its just an insurance requirement im sure they would pay that but if it involves quarantine or the shot they will spend their money in Mexico instead.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrNovax said:

They will spend their money in Mexico instead.  

I guess you haven't been watching the news....

It's legit all out war right now in Western Mexico

If you have an annual marriage visa or retirement visa, what is the shortest period you need insurance for in order to get through Immigratuion? Does anyone know?

Well done Thailand, after 3 years of BS behind us and here you idiots go again, I cannot believe your stupidity! All this for the Chinese who are the ultimate budget travellers in Thailand, the majority arrive on Chinese owned charter flights, they stay in budget and often Chinese partnered hotels, mostly frequent Chinese owned or partnered venues etc etc etc and its all prepaid in china. They crowd into hotel rooms, eat from 7-11 and street vendors, everything is budget and they bring their unpleasant habits with them. 

You obviously haven't learnt from previous mistakes, the vaccines are only effective for about 6 months, natural immunity has proven to be superior and have no side effects unlike the vaccines. The tourism industry is just getting back on its feet and you decide to derail it for the sake of one nation who quite honestly we can well do without. So if they have had 2 Sino Vacs anytime in the last 3 years they qualify to come in yet that vaccine has no longer any supposed protection unless it is recent so why even stipulate it as a prerequisite ? Thailand you have not learnt form your previous & recent mistakes but maybe that shouldn't surprise me!

Regarding Chinese tourists I am speaking about the majority here and not the 1 or 2% that stay in high end resorts and frequent luxury boutiques. 

• Like 4