News Forum - Secret talks with rebels: Ex-PM Thaksin’s shadow diplomacy

Thaiger

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s clandestine discussions with Myanmar’s resistance groups have ignited a storm of controversy. As the international community watches with bated breath, the House Committee on National Security and Border Affairs gears up for a probing investigation into this explosive development. The House Committee on National Security and Border Affairs announced a … …

The story Secret talks with rebels: Ex-PM Thaksin’s shadow diplomacy as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

He is allowed to meet with  people in his capacity as a private citizen. That does not mean it was a  correct  action.  It is not unusual for former national leaders to do this on behalf of a current government. The big difference is that the activity is done a the behest of the former leader's government. I don't know what he thinks he can achieve, unless it is an attempt to show that he has influence and clout. The man needs to retire gracefully and to leave politics to the new generation.

I distinctly remembering Thaksin upon his return from self-imposed exile, telling anyone who could be bothered to listen, ‘I’m just an old man who wants to spend his last years playing with his grand children’. I guess it’s as believable as his much publicised health issues, which miraculously disappeared when he received his pardon. Nothing about the man can be taken at face value.

I have a really hard time believing that Thaksin did this on his own. 

Whether "official" or not, he's doing this at the behest of the party that his daughter leads and is now in control of the government.  The Foreign Ministry is doing its best to distance themselves from this in case it blows up in their face.

But I'm pretty sure that Srettha is in the know and likely behind the move on Thaksin's part.