News Forum - Angry American man smashes up a Thai man’s car

Thaiger

50 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But can you understand my point?

This story is about a clearly whacked out guy breaking the law

And only this forum can turn that into whining about how farangs are treated

It is 100% typical of this forum

If you want to say Thais do this all the time w/o news coverage

So what, don't drink Lao Khao for 3 days and act like a maniac...............

Yes I can understand your point. The thing with forums such as this is that inevitably the topic meanders and drifts somewhat. As such, people attach comments which are not always central to the main point. 

The conflict (if that’s the right word?) on this forum seems to rest with those long time expats who are often (sometimes daily) made to feel like they are the ones under the microscope. Struggling to feel the place they are trying to call home, feel and act like home. They are often pitted against those who have links to Thailand through relationships or holidays and yet don’t have to be subjected to the often daily hassle of being an expat and having your fellow countrymen highlighted in the press for things which happen to locals on a daily basis. “Thai man smashes up another Thai man’s car” isn’t worthy of news. However, “Drunk American smashes up Thai man’s car” for some reason, is.  I think that brings out the frustrations in people who feel it’s all too often hypocritical and a one sided debate. This is why we also see such outcry’s against two tier pricing, immigration laws etc. Then, to add insult to injury, there’s always the nuclear option of killing debate, when someone inevitably says “well if you don’t like it in Thailand why stay there”. Thereby totally missing the point and inflaming matters more 😂😂

So yes, I do understand your point and I hope you can understand others points? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I can understand your point. The thing with forums such as this is that inevitably the topic meanders and drifts somewhat. As such, people attach comments which are not always central to the main point. 

The conflict (if that’s the right word?) on this forum seems to rest with those long time expats who are often (sometimes daily) made to feel like they are the ones under the microscope. Struggling to feel the place they are trying to call home, feel and act like home. They are often pitted against those who have links to Thailand through relationships or holidays and yet don’t have to be subjected to the often daily hassle of being an expat and having your fellow countrymen highlighted in the press for things which happen to locals on a daily basis. “Thai man smashes up another Thai man’s car” isn’t worthy of news. However, “Drunk American smashes up Thai man’s car” for some reason, is.  I think that brings out the frustrations in people who feel it’s all too often hypocritical and a one sided debate. This is why we also see such outcry’s against two tier pricing, immigration laws etc. Then, to add insult to injury, there’s always the nuclear option of killing debate, when someone inevitably says “well if you don’t like it in Thailand why stay there”. Thereby totally missing the point and inflaming matters more 😂😂

Then they shouldn't live there.............plain and simple

So many expats trash the country...........so move

And I am not saying some of their complaints aren't valid, but again............move

I don't envision it happening, but when we live full time in Thailand, if it's not working for me , then we would move

My wife lives in Vancouver, we couldn't ask for a better place for her to live outside Thailand

But I would only live someplace outside of Thailand that works for her.........if Vancouver didn't work, we'd move

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

If i was to disagree or cast random aspersions upon your assumptions would you bring my carcass to the den of Lao Khao and add ice and lime or would you merely dismiss my opinion as the meandering of a wandering aspirant of the Drunken Dragon born of times long long long ago here to leave his DNA forever entombed in these sands blessed may they be?

hiccup

"Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.💔"

Why can't we all just get along?

Soidog good man

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Then they shouldn't live there.............plain and simple

So many expats trash the country...........so move

And I am not saying some of their complaints aren't valid, but again............move

I don't envision it happening, but when we live full time in Thailand, if it's not working for me , then we would move

My wife lives in Vancouver, we couldn't ask for a better place for her to live outside Thailand

But I would only live someplace outside of Thailand that works for her.........if Vancouver didn't work, we'd move

With all respect mate, I think you may be over simplifying life for many people who live in Thailand. Many have worked and lived here for years. Raised families and wholly invested here. Links with their home country have long since gone and they are of an age where selling up and relocating to a whole new country is simply not an option. Then there are those (like me) who find many things good about the country and many things totally abhorrent, as I do my own country. To view living long term in a country and if it’s not fully to you taste to move isn’t like choosing not to go to a particular restaurant. In many cases a lot of emotion and finance has been “invested” in Thailand which you simply can not sell and move on. I know lots of people who live in my home town back in the U.K. and moan like F**k but won’t or can’t move 100 miles to another town or city! 

I guess what I’m saying is that you can not expect people who are long term residents with daily experiences of the negative side of life here to keep quiet when the news items prick their frustrations. I don’t know of any country whereby your views when visiting for a month or two at a time, would remain the same after a year or twenty! 

Main thing is we accept the views of others and try to debate their views with facts, experiences, and data, rather than assuming they are a bunch of moaners who don’t appreciate the many positive that exist in Thailand. 

Thanks for the debate. Always enjoyable 👍🏻

• Like 5

On 10/7/2022 at 2:32 AM, Mudshark said:

This type of behavior goes on all over Thailand, and is common. If you are a Thai, drunk and disorderly, never makes the paper, TV, or internet. Get a Farang in the picture, not a Chinese or Korean tourist BTW, and its front page news. Obviously popular with the Thai public, or, maybe it is 'the powers that be' that like pushing it. 

Not true. Everytime I end up being in front of a TV program called "news", I see plenty of "sensational" crap involving Thais, in fact almost always Thais, they love showing anything that involves violence and misery with all the details. And there is even no need to speak Thai at all, it is usually attached with a video that is played over and over and that's enough to understand the "purpose" of that "news". But there again, this exists in many countries around the world.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Manu said:

Not true. Everytime I end up being in front of a TV program called "news", I see plenty of "sensational" crap involving Thais, in fact almost always Thais, they love showing anything that involves violence and misery with all the details. And there is even no need to speak Thai at all, it is usually attached with a video that is played over and over and that's enough to understand the "purpose" of that "news". But there again, this exists in many countries around the world.

Agreed. It seems all over the world there has been an increase in Mental Health and suicide. I wonder if this coincides with the spread of 24 hour news channels which fill almost every minute with doom and gloom economic forecasts. War torn areas of the world and the clamber to show every natural disaster linked to climate change. I think if I was 16 again, I may wonder is it all worth it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

With all respect mate, I think you may be over simplifying life for many people who live in Thailand. Many have worked and lived here for years. Raised families and wholly invested here. Links with their home country have long since gone and they are of an age where selling up and relocating to a whole new country is simply not an option. Then there are those (like me) who find many things good about the country and many things totally abhorrent, as I do my own country. To view living long term in a country and if it’s not fully to you taste to move isn’t like choosing not to go to a particular restaurant. In many cases a lot of emotion and finance has been “invested” in Thailand which you simply can not sell and move on. I know lots of people who live in my home town back in the U.K. and moan like F**k but won’t or can’t move 100 miles to another town or city! 

I guess what I’m saying is that you can not expect people who are long term residents with daily experiences of the negative side of life here to keep quiet when the news items prick their frustrations. I don’t know of any country whereby your views when visiting for a month or two at a time, would remain the same after a year or twenty! 

Main thing is we accept the views of others and try to debate their views with facts, experiences, and data, rather than assuming they are a bunch of moaners who don’t appreciate the many positive that exist in Thailand. 

So, the status of "immigrants" - an argument you here in every country - used to make a political point. Particularly emphasised by over-use of the third person

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

So, the status of "immigrants" - an argument you here in every country - used to make a political point. Particularly emphasised by over-use of the third person

I’m not sure I see the link between what I posted and the status of immigrants? I was referring to day to day issues people face as expats.  Nothing to do with the status of immigrants. Maybe I’ve misunderstood your point raises. Apologies. 

12 hours ago, Soidog said:

Of course there will always be things where we live we don't like or agree with and we balance that out with what we enjoy about the place and factors like economics, family ,etc

There are many things I don't like ability Vancouver (mainly how it is run by the city and the greed of people here) but there is a lot I like

But the #1 factor is my job

At this point in time I'd prefer to live in Thailand but my job is too good to leave at the moment 

But my point in of all this is if you see a story about some crazed drunk farang assaulting people and your main takeaway is that farangs are treated bad, I don't know how you choose to live in that place

I just can't fathom having that sort of attitude towards the place and still choose to live there

Now I know why most still do......but I hate to sound harsh but sounds like they have a pretty shitty life if that's the case 

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Of course there will always be things where we live we don't like or agree with and we balance that out with what we enjoy about the place and factors like economics, family ,etc

There are many things I don't like ability Vancouver (mainly how it is run by the city and the greed of people here) but there is a lot I like

But the #1 factor is my job

At this point in time I'd prefer to live in Thailand but my job is too good to leave at the moment 

But my point in of all this is if you see a story about some crazed drunk farang assaulting people and your main takeaway is that farangs are treated bad, I don't know how you choose to live in that place

I just can't fathom having that sort of attitude towards the place and still choose to live there

Now I know why most still do......but I hate to sound harsh but sounds like they have a pretty shitty life if that's the case 

But you live in Vancouver and would prefer to live in Thailand and yet you say how can you live there. So why are you in Vancouver? Why don’t you give up your job and move to Thailand?  I think I know why Marc. Because the realities of life kick in. It’s not so easy to retire and live somewhere else, just as it’s not so easy to live in Thailand having retired and then realise it’s not so easy being retired here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

But you live in Vancouver and would prefer to live in Thailand and yet you say how can you live there. So why are you in Vancouver? Why don’t you give up your job and move to Thailand?  I think I know why Marc. Because the realities of life kick in. It’s not so easy to retire and live somewhere else, just as it’s not so easy to live in Thailand having retired and then realise it’s not so easy being retired here. 

I don't have the hate for Vancouver that so many expats have for Thailand 

And I keep laboring the point but if you see a story of an obvious crazed drunk man assaulting people and your takeaway is that farang are treated unfairly

I just can't fathom living a life like that in someplace you have such disdain for

Makes me wonder how miserable there lives were back home......

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I don't have the hate for Vancouver that so many expats have for Thailand 

And I keep laboring the point but if you see a story of an obvious crazed drunk man assaulting people and your takeaway is that farang are treated unfairly

I just can't fathom living a life like that in someplace you have such disdain for

Makes me wonder how miserable there lives were back home......

With respect Marc, I think you are seeing a casual comment forum such as this in the wrong way. Posts drift slightly and then others comment on the comment. In classic Chinese whisper fashion (can I use that phrase these days?). 

The Guy was out of order and wrong to do what he did and should face the full weight of the law. The chat then drifted to attitudes of police and that inevitably triggered the observation that not all people are treated equally in Thailand by the Thai police. 

I don’t think any members I’ve noted who live in Thailand “hate” it?  They may have disdain or hatred for certain aspects of Thai daily life. I’m sure we could all agree the top 5 would contain (in no particular order):

Driving standards, RTP, Politicians, changing immigration rules, land/business ownership. Any topic that includes one or more is likely to result in negative comments. 

I meet lots of guys living here who express very similar views as some on this forum and yet they love living in Thailand. The fine weather, the chilled lifestyle. The food and entertainment and the natural beauty. Nowhere is perfect of course….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

With respect Marc, I think you are seeing a casual comment forum such as this in the wrong way. Posts drift slightly and then others comment on the comment. In classic Chinese whisper fashion (can I use that phrase these days?). 

The Guy was out of order and wrong to do what he did and should face the full weight of the law. The chat then drifted to attitudes of police and that inevitably triggered the observation that not all people are treated equally in Thailand by the Thai police. 

I don’t think any members I’ve noted who live in Thailand “hate” it?  They may have disdain or hatred for certain aspects of Thai daily life. I’m sure we could all agree the top 5 would contain (in no particular order):

Driving standards, RTP, Politicians, changing immigration rules, land/business ownership. Any topic that includes one or more is likely to result in negative comments. 

I meet lots of guys living here who express very similar views as some on this forum and yet they love living in Thailand. The fine weather, the chilled lifestyle. The food and entertainment and the natural beauty. Nowhere is perfect of course….

As always I always appreciate your insight on things

But we just disagree on this subject

I have many great expat friends

And sure they have their gripes, as we all do

But I think there is a huge population of Thai expats that are, by far, the most miserable people I have ever encountered in all my travels

• Angry 1

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But I think there is a huge population of Thai expats that are, by far, the most miserable people I have ever encountered in all my travels

Oh I totally agree. Some of the expats that have found their way to Thailand are  as you describe. I’m sure they would complain if they were in paradise. I guess my point is that complaining about a specific topic is not the same as complaining about everything.  

I also think there are many expats in Thailand who if they were really honest with themselves, wish they had never made the move to Thailand. Then there are those who wish they had chosen a different approach to being here. Perhaps settled down too quickly in the wrong place or with the wrong person. Their wider frustrations then come out. However, overall, I find the majority of expats would still choose life in Thailand over the life they would have back home in a Western country. 

Anyway, I suspect we are well off topic now. Cheers 👍🏻

• Like 1

The availability of meth, yaba, or whatever the hell they call it, combined with day long binges of alcohol make incidents like this common in Thailand. It’s true that if Thais do it, it’s not news worthy unless a homicide is involved. But many foreigners visit just for that drug/alcohol/cheap sex vacation.     So…..let him spend 60 days in a Thai prison, black-ball him from returning, and deport his butt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:21 AM, Manu said:

Queue the tears... Playing the video over and over is annoying, but as soon as someone speaks on camera their voice starts to waver and then they begin to cry.

He thought he can do anything he wants, like in "Ai-räääg".
Or like the yankee who bragged at Big-C cashier "I am an American, I can do whatEVER I want!" The "famous" actor... 😂😅