News Forum - Russia’s FM Sergei Lavrov warns US not to supply Ukraine with arms

Thaiger

8 hours ago, EdwardV said:

That's why they wrote "apparent effort". I asked your opinion since there doesn't seem to be much logic behind either "apparent" or "effort". I'm guessing you don't have one which is fine. Thanks anyway.  

Odessa has/had a large oil refinery and oil depots. Russia claims to have knocked these out. We know Ukraine has fuel supply issues with the price for retail consumers soaring and rationing in place. Ukraine, as usual, claims that this is yet another indiscriminate attack against civilians and trots out photos of a damaged shopping center. And, of course, nothing critical was damaged and everything military is fine except for civilians casualties and some scared cows. Odessa should be armed to the teeth as Crimea is uncomfortably close. The Russians are understandably concerned about their tugboat fleet getting smaller every week so it makes sense for Russia to strike at military targets and supply depots in Odessa especially after the recent attacks on their fleet and Snake Island. The Odessa airport runways had some new potholes created for free by the Russians a few weeks back so Ukraine is running out of places to land their vast fleet of warplanes ;-)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fanta said:

so Ukraine is running out of places to land their vast fleet of warplanes ;-)

Lucky for Ukraine, Russia made those planes so they could take off and land on country road or even a dirt field. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Lucky for Ukraine, Russia made those planes so they could take off and land on country road or even a dirt field. 

It does beg the question as to where are the remaining warplanes are parked. I guess there have been some unfortunate technical problems that have required emergency landings at foreign airports ;-) The US was sending a few pallets of spare parts that may or may not be assembled into entire planes. Russia recently stocked up on SAMs and MRLS at Crimea. Moscow must have had a sale on. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fanta said:

It does beg the question as to where are the remaining warplanes are parked.

I bet the Russian military would like to know that answer too. 

Oooh… this isn’t a good look for Ukraine. How do you say extortion in German? Even the Russkies didn’t turn off the gas. 

Ukraine says it will suspend the flow of gas through a transit point which it said delivers almost a third of the fuel piped from Russia to Europe through Ukraine.

What utter nonsense. You love to state facts that are utter rubbish. If you are going to post at least say something with a sliver of intelligence put in the comment.

And to correct you, yes Russia did cut off the flow of gas. Very recently in fact. But you are clueless as to what is going on in Ukraine though you act like an expert and your comments reflect this. At least fact check before you post something pro Russian so at least there is a slight bit of credibility to what you say....

Poland Bulgaria recently had their gas flows cut off for failure to pay in Rubles.

Here is a link though there are hundred more to choose from so read the article and educate yourself....

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/russia-cuts-off-gas-to-two-european-countries/21808988

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Ukraine says it will suspend the flow of gas through a transit point which it said delivers almost a third of the fuel piped from Russia to Europe through Ukraine.

Happen faster than I thought. It was always a question of time before the pipelines were knocked out by either Russia (by accident), or blown up by Ukrainian sappers in a “screw this” moment.  Never thought they would get turned off by Ukraine, Russia yes but not Ukraine. 

They are not extorting the Germans, they are doing so to the Russians. Betting Russia needs to sell the gas more than Germany need to buy it. Risky bet to say the least. Interesting. 

• Cool 2

33 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Even the Russkies didn’t turn off the gas. 

GTSOU CEO Sergiy Makogon told Reuters that Russian occupying forces had started taking gas transiting through Ukraine and sending it to two Russia-backed separatist regions in the country's east.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ukraine-gas-system-operator-declares-force-majeure-sokhranivka-entry-point-2022-05-10/

If, if, if what they are saying is true, you can’t blame them for shutting off the flow. Best of all they can blame Russia. 

11 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

GTSOU CEO Sergiy Makogon told Reuters that Russian occupying forces had started taking gas transiting through Ukraine and sending it to two Russia-backed separatist regions in the country's east.

So Ukraine cuts off the gas to those 2 regions.That makes sense.  However the article claims it is the first stop for 1/3 of Russian gas to Europe. Looks like more of a rerouting than a supply halt? Interesting indeed. 

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

It does beg the question as to where are the remaining warplanes are parked. I guess there have been some unfortunate technical problems that have required emergency landings at foreign airports ;-) The US was sending a few pallets of spare parts that may or may not be assembled into entire planes. Russia recently stocked up on SAMs and MRLS at Crimea. Moscow must have had a sale on. 

The Ukraine airforce attack capability is exclusively Soviet era. Why then would you say USA would send spare parts? USA does not stock Russia MIG and SU parts.

In respect to  gas shipments, Ukraine  cannot  guarantee shipments from territory occupied by Russia. Ukraine is unable to manage,and maintain gas pipeline in occupied regions. As reported in the EU, "Kyiv had already warned Russia that the actions of its troops and occupiers in the Luhansk region of eastern Ukraine could end up halting about a third of the gas it transits to Europe. Ukraine’s gas network manager said it can’t meet contractual obligations via the Sokhranivka border point, but said flows could be rerouted via Sudzha. " https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-10/ukraine-grid-says-russia-flows-via-one-key-entry-point-to-stop

How can the Ukraine be expected to ensure shipments of gas from  regions where it no longer has control over its gas pipline?

19 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You absurdly said History is all bias & opinions. I listen to Western Defence Ministers/ Strategic Institutes/ Former NATO Generals who DO see the raw intelligence & process it expertly for the public  (and who APPEAR on media speaking Directly to us.).

Since you don’t reference these direct experts but no doubt listen to commentators & journalists ( I don’t) then we are are certainly NOT getting the same “ information” ……

Seen that movie. I don’t imagine I’m a spy ! 😉toughest job in the world after SF….and “coding” of course 🤣🤣

"You absurdly said History is all bias & opinions."

So funny but I didn't, but I did say partly biased. 😆

But carry on with your illogical rants, it is just fun for the rest of us who do not take ourselves too seriously.

Keep up the good work saving the world and educating us as to what is really going on, we are all wrong. 

It is really funny too how your think that 'coding' represents software engineering, it is a further insight into how you perceive things and think you know the facts when in fact you don't.

Right, time now for me to hit a few random keys on my keyboard, this will magically will produce code, which will magically create software which you think is only a set on 1's and O's and that is what you think software engineering is. I suppose the system design, requirements and all the other areas of software engineering write themselves.

The good thing about noddy history though is anyone can read a book or two, regurgitate the info and have an opinion on it without much time and effort needed.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Fanta said:

So Ukraine cuts off the gas to those 2 regions.That makes sense.  However the article claims it is the first stop for 1/3 of Russian gas to Europe. Looks like more of a rerouting than a supply halt?

Isn’t the switching station for the lines run into Donbas in Russian head territory? It’s also the first station? Did I read that wrong? I think they can’t actually stop the diversion other than to get Russia to shut down the line by stopping the total flow to Germany. No bucks, no flow. ????

10 minutes ago, Vigo said:

The Ukraine airforce attack capability is exclusively Soviet era. Why then would you say USA would send spare parts? USA does not stock Russia MIG and SU parts.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/04/u-s-to-send-mig-29-aircraft-to-ukraine-but-as-a-source-of-spare-parts/

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220420-ukraine-given-parts-not-whole-aircraft-by-allies-pentagon

12 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

It is possible to see 2 sides and make up your mind about it yourself, you know.

But for that, you would need to be open minded! That is rarely seen in this topic , here it is mostly black or white.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Vigo said:

How can the Ukraine be expected to ensure shipments of gas from  regions where it no longer has control over its gas pipline?

The title text in your Bloomberg link says it all.

’Ukraine won’t accept some Russian gas from 7am, grid says”

33 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Isn’t the switching station for the lines run into Donbas in Russian head territory? It’s also the first station? Did I read that wrong? I think they can’t actually stop the diversion other than to get Russia to shut down the line by stopping the total flow to Germany. No bucks, no flow. ????

Without looking up the pipeline locations and deciphering those multi syllable town locations I don’t know. It’s just too much like hard work on an iPhone ;-)

If your scenario is correct it won’t make all those European gas huffers happy at all. Cut off up to 1/3 of the gas to Europe to stop Russia diverting Russian gas to a pro Russian region?  Fair play to the Ukrainians but, standing on the outside looking in, this seems like an own goal in gathering support for Ukraine. Russia has been flying 250+ sorties a day including heavy bombers + PGMs and critical Ukrainian infrastructure is being destroyed.

Perhaps Ukraine’s own gas supply is messed up and they need to divert that gas for their own needs? 

25 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Perhaps Ukraine’s own gas supply is messed up and they need to divert that gas for their own needs? 

I think the pipeline is natural gas? Even if oil, it would still have to be refined. Regardless they could just tap it themselves if that was the case. Although Russia did say if Ukraine diverted the gas for their own use, Russia would shut down the pipeline. Kinda good for goose good for the gander thing if you think about it. 

• Like 1

In strange news from the front: 

Wrecked Russian fighter jets are being found with rudimentary GPS receivers "taped to the dashboards" in Ukraine because their inbuilt navigation systems are so bad, the UK's defense secretary, Ben Wallace, said. … He added that there was evidence suggesting Russian military hardware was being pushed to breaking point by the invasion of Ukraine. "'GPS' receivers have been found taped to the dashboards of downed Russian Su-34s so the pilots knew where they were, due to the poor quality of their own systems," he said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-su34-jets-basic-gps-receivers-taped-to-dashboards-uk-2022-5?amp

Can’t even begin to say how interesting that would be if true. The Su-34 is Russia’s top of the line strike fighter. Something akin to the American F-15E Strike Eagle, or so it was thought. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EdwardV said:

Can’t even begin to say how interesting that would be if true. The Su-34 is Russia’s top of the line strike fighter. Something akin to the American F-15E Strike Eagle, or so it was thought. 

Either keeping the GPS close at hand for the bailout over Ukraine or as a backup for switching between GLONASS and Loran. I’d bet on the second. 

https://www.gpsworld.com/russia-expected-to-ditch-glonass-for-loran-in-ukraine-invasion/

• Haha 1

Belarus will deploy special operations troops in three areas near its southern border with Ukraine, the armed forces said on Tuesday as President Alexander Lukashenko talked up the role of Russian-made missiles in boosting the country's defence … Minsk has complained for months about NATO countries amassing soldiers near its borders - Poland, Lithuania and Latvia are all members of the alliance - and is increasing the amount and intensity of its own military exercises in response.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-help-ally-belarus-create-iskander-type-missile-lukashenko-says-2022-05-10/

So If your west and north are threaten, you would reinforce your south? Where have I see this picture before? 

That said I find it easier to believe the Belarus military marching on their own capital than Ukraine. Still I guess if your master tells you to move your tanks south, you move your tanks south. 

• Like 3

The House in the US emphatically votes for a $40 BILLION aid package for the Ukraine. Thats $7 BILLION more than Biden even asked for.

So what Czar Putin has achieved here regarding the Ukraine is an EU more united than ever. US Congress and Senate more united than ever and a NATO more united than ever.

Russia is being bled white. Its, frankly pathetic, economy and its army being shown up for the paper tiger it is. The "Great Russian Bear" is more like the "Great Russian clown show". 

How times have changed for all the Czar Putin apologists on here. Once so cocky. So confident. So eager in their defense of his actions.

Where did they all go? 

Kudos to Fanta though. He keeps sticking up for his boy Czar Putin. It gets more ridiculous by the day but he's still plugging away at it. 

• Like 1