News Forum - Tourists will have to pay 300 baht ‘land entry fee,’ minister confirms

Thaiger

On 2/25/2022 at 6:49 PM, riclag said:

There is a remote chance ,a sliver ,that if enough people complain by bringing up the ,what I call inequities set out by the regime,that you mentioned  in your comment ,someone in authority in the govt might get  the hint that these concerns are probably the reason why travelers aren't coming here !

Lastly if that doesn't work then falangs will see others complaining and have common sense enough to beware of the revenue schemes

OR alternatively just seek medication for your paranoia

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 5:33 AM, longwood50 said:

Again, you miss the point.  The Thai government has already imposed significant expenses on incoming tourists.  The mandated PCR tests, the insurance, the quarantine.  This is just one more expense on top of those already incurred. 

Now if you run a restaurant and you increase the price of all of your items on your menu 20 baht and "think" it has no impact on the number of customers who dine at your restaurant I suggest you need to go back to school and study economics. 

The higher the price the less of it your sell.  Whether it is 1 baht, 100 baht, 300 baht, or 10,000 baht it is only the "level" of disincentive being imposed.   I can assure you that in business if you want to attract "more" customers one of the strategies you don't employ is to raise prices. 

Of course you can raise prices if value is attached - seriously it's like business for dummies with you.

You're just not listening - you continue to ignore every answer (repeatedly you've been given) and despite owning 'four' companies have no comprehension whatsoever of the word 'productivity'

You have clearly either never owned a company in your life (likely) or ran it so badly that you needed four attempts at it.

17 hours ago, Benroon said:

You're just not listening - you continue to ignore every answer (repeatedly you've been given) and despite owning 'four' companies have no comprehension whatsoever of the word 'productivity'

Benroon

1. How does increasing the minimum wage "increase productivity"?

2. Why would a business who could "improve productivity" not do so whether there was a minimum wage hike, or for that matter a minimum wage decrease.

You are talking about ways compensate for minimum wage price hikes.  First off, business unless it is poorly run already routinely looks for ways to increase productivity.  You also are missing the point that the number 1 way to increase productivity per worker is "automation"  Getting rid of the non efficient worker and replacing the worker with mechanization.  That may not be something that makes economic sense at 332 baht per day but the cost of mechanization may be warranted at 492 baht per day.  At some point the business will find the cost of investing in automation saves more in labor costs and it will eliminate the worker. 

Basic economic principles.  

The more something costs a business the more it wants to rid itself of that cost. 
The more gasoline costs the more people want to electrify to rid themselves of higher gas costs
The more electricty cost the more it makes sense to invest in applicances that use inverter technology. 

The more a worker costs the more the business seeks way to reduce the number of them, their hours, or eliminate them entirely via automation. 

You also are also missing that Thailand is not a self contained region that is immune to competition from other countries.  If unskilled labor is still a required component for a business, a business will and must gravitate to where it can produce their products the cheapest  If the price of rice goes up, rubber goes up, cars go up, clothing goes up, food products go up, and those products can be obtained from other countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, the Philipines at lower prices THE WORLD MARKET WILL BUY FROM THEM.  That will damage the unskilled minimum wage worker not help them. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:39 PM, Fluke said:

The Pound has dropped by about 50 setang from Tuesday , I really dont think that that 50 setang drop will stop half the planet from travelling and BTW , the Pound has risen against the Baht today 

I see my Euro has dropped under 36,and falling.My cut of point is 37 and if prices rise due to inflation,greed etc,I for one won't be going anywhere.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, longwood50 said:

Benroon

1. How does increasing the minimum wage "increase productivity"?

2. Why would a business who could "improve productivity" not do so whether there was a minimum wage hike, or for that matter a minimum wage decrease.

You are talking about ways compensate for minimum wage price hikes.  First off, business unless it is poorly run already routinely looks for ways to increase productivity.  You also are missing the point that the number 1 way to increase productivity per worker is "automation"  Getting rid of the non efficient worker and replacing the worker with mechanization.  That may not be something that makes economic sense at 332 baht per day but the cost of mechanization may be warranted at 492 baht per day.  At some point the business will find the cost of investing in automation saves more in labor costs and it will eliminate the worker. 

Basic economic principles.  

The more something costs a business the more it wants to rid itself of that cost. 
The more gasoline costs the more people want to electrify to rid themselves of higher gas costs
The more electricty cost the more it makes sense to invest in applicances that use inverter technology. 

The more a worker costs the more the business seeks way to reduce the number of them, their hours, or eliminate them entirely via automation. 

You also are also missing that Thailand is not a self contained region that is immune to competition from other countries.  If unskilled labor is still a required component for a business, a business will and must gravitate to where it can produce their products the cheapest  If the price of rice goes up, rubber goes up, cars go up, clothing goes up, food products go up, and those products can be obtained from other countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, the Philipines at lower prices THE WORLD MARKET WILL BUY FROM THEM.  That will damage the unskilled minimum wage worker not help them. 

Good grief your question 1 has been answered more than once in detail - along with numerous other basic business strategies to combat rising costs. Go and read it which will prevent you asking the same question again.

You have a very myopic outlook when it comes to business. If every company folded when wages or associated costs went up there wouldn’t be any companies left would there and surprise surprise Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos have yet to dominate the industrial world! 

Also look up synergies - that should be your reading matter for the next few days 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:13 PM, yselmike said:

I see my Euro has dropped under 36,and falling.My cut of point is 37 and if prices rise due to inflation,greed etc,I for one won't be going anywhere.

I think the Baht should be renamed the “Teflon Baht”. Nothing seems to hurt this currency. Street protests. Military coups. Growth stagnation. Wars on its southern borders. Global pandemics. Loss of 12% GDP and little sign of recovery.  The threat of world war 3.  

I realise some of these things apply to the whole world and hence the values remain relatively the same. However, the Military Coups, street protests and massive 12% loss of GDP for two years should have. Someone somewhere is doing a great job managing the Baht. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Good grief your question 1 has been answered more than once in detail - along with numerous other basic business strategies to combat rising costs. Go and read it which will prevent you asking the same question again.

No you refuse to answer the question. 

1. How does increasing a minimum wage "increase productivity"

2. If the business owner can improve "productivity" and profits before the minimum wage. Do you really believe that they would not do it?

What you are referring to are ways business "reacts" to a rising minimum wage.  

What you are suggesting is that all businesses have this hidden untapped source of wealth that can be used when costs increase.  Have you looked at the price of gas recently.  If what you said was true, the petroleum refiners and petroleum stations merely look for "WAYS TO IMPROVE PRODUCTIVITY' to keep their prices the same. 

The fact is that most businesses constantly look at their costs.  Their rent, insurance, utilities, labor, taxes, costs or products and ALREADY SEARCH FOR WAYS TO LOWER COST.  If they did not they soon would be driven out of business by competitors who were more efficient. 

The Congressional Budget Office which is a Federal Agency in the USA providing information to the Congress on the impact of legislation stated raising it in the USA would lead to 1.4 million FEWER JOBS.  The same is true around the world.   The more expensive you make it the less of it business wants to use.   

If minimum wage worked as you suggest why stop at 492 baht.  Why not 10,000 baht after all you seem to believe business has this trove of untapped efficiencies that would prevent price increases.  Finally, your "solution" does nothing to improve the economy of Thailand.  It only means that Thailand will be a more expensive place for business to acquire unskilled labor and the labor will remain unskilled.  How much better for Thailand to "invest" in labor making the Thai's eligible to perform higher skilled jobs that already pay more than the minimum wage.  That is "solving" the problem.  Yours first imposes the problem on business and second kicks the can down the road as inflation eventually makes 492 baht so low as it equals todays 332 baht in terms of purchasing power and you are left with the same group of unskilled Thai's.

Raising minimum wage to $15 would cost 1.4 million jobs, CBO says

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/raising-minimum-wage-to-15-would-cost-1point4-million-jobs-cbo-says.html
image.png.8ba7d3ee4a58d431ee49aaf9e94d88fb.png

On 2/26/2022 at 3:41 AM, CamPat said:

Oh Thailand, will you ever learn ? Every other Tourist Destination around the Globe is just happy that the Tourists are coming back at all. Do you really need those 300 extra Bath ? Perhaps you should  change your mind.

I will gladly pay with a bag of coins

Hi all,

Some seem to have forgotten what we are actually discussing as some are move off into discussing world economics and wages. For those who have forgotten, this thread is about a 300 Baht arrival charge for tourists.

It would be appreciated if member posts could discuss that rather than debating world economics. After all, I don't see much debate on what other countries charge or about the taxes already in airline tickets to Thailand causing you to spend less in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, Soidog said:

Well done Fred. Going for the most stupid comment of the day award again I see. 

It’s my money they are taking, hence I have an interest in how it’s spent. As I said yesterday. I have no problem paying such a tax in Italy or Spain or the UK even. I know it will be spent properly and with oversight. In Thailand, the only way it will find its way in to tourism is to upgrade the swimming pool in the government ministers holiday homes. 

Now be a good boy and do what you said and put me on ignore. If you don’t know how to do it let me know 

Oh my. You are really hung up on the 300 baht entry fee. If you enter and leave 10 times if still less than $100. I don’t know about your finances and they are non of my business, but your concern about how Thailand will use your 300 baht is sick, IMO

No comment is stupid and all comments should be valued.

22 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Oh my. You are really hung up on the 300 baht entry fee. If you enter and leave 10 times if still less than $100. I don’t know about your finances and they are non of my business, but your concern about how Thailand will use your 300 baht is sick, IMO

No comment is stupid and all comments should be valued.

It’s called a “Principle” Fred. You wouldn’t understand. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

On 300 baht .....

Arguing about a 300 baht entry fee is really small. I give that much a charity (or more) frequently. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

On 300 baht .....

It’s not about the money Marc. It wouldn’t matter if it was 3 Baht or 30,000 Baht. The principle here is that money is being demanded and yet no clear explanation of what this money is being used for. If I thought it was going to a proper insurance policy or to the hospitals that had to cover stupid tourists who travel without insurance, then fine. No problem paying it. But as we have seen, this is on top of a previous 700 Baht. It’s also at a time when every foreigner is having to take out additional health insurance. This isn’t anything to do with the amount; despite some peoples attempts to make it so. It’s about the principle of having to pay for something which has no supporting information on what it is being used for. What is the existing 700 Baht being used for? Is that not enough to cover what they claim this 300 Baht will be used for? Why not? Where’s the supporting data to justify it? 

We all know what this is. It’s simply another tax. Nothing to do with health. Nothing to do with building up tourism infrastructure. I’d complain less if they simply said it’s a tax and will be used for whatever they want. We all know the high levels of corruption in Thailand. A percentage of this 300 Baht will go the same way. You may be happy knowing 100 Baht or 50 Baht will go in to the private bank accounts of the ruling elite. I’m not! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s not about the money Marc. It wouldn’t matter if it was 3 Baht or 30,000 Baht. The principle here is that money is being demanded and yet no clear explanation of what this money is being used for. If I thought it was going to a proper insurance policy or to the hospitals that had to cover stupid tourists who travel without insurance, then fine. No problem paying it. But as we have seen, this is on top of a previous 700 Baht. It’s also at a time when every foreigner is having to take out additional health insurance. This isn’t anything to do with the amount; despite some peoples attempts to make it so. It’s about the principle of having to pay for something which has no supporting information on what it is being used for. What is the existing 700 Baht being used for? Is that not enough to cover what they claim this 300 Baht will be used for? Why not? Where’s the supporting data to justify it? 

We all know what this is. It’s simply another tax. Nothing to do with health. Nothing to do with building up tourism infrastructure. I’d complain less if they simply said it’s a tax and will be used for whatever they want. We all know the high levels of corruption in Thailand. A percentage of this 300 Baht will go the same way. You may be happy knowing 100 Baht or 50 Baht will go in to the private bank accounts of the ruling elite. I’m not! 

I just rented a car in Florida

The taxes applied to it are outrageous 

Like 7 different taxes......

I just don't care about 300 Baht

It just doesn't matter to me, not even one bit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Most of you have wasted 300baht arguing about whether you should spend .....300baht. This is clearly ridiculous. Amusing but also ridiculous. 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Still missing my point I’m afraid. The taxes you paid on the hire car will end up being used for whatever purpose is stated. They have probably been in place for many years. They are part of a raft of local, state and federal tax structure. One that has clear oversight with low to virtually no level of corruption. Certainly insignificant compared to Thailand. I’m sure if you wanted it, you could find a clear paper trail (electronic) of where those taxes end up. The whole tax structure will have defined rules that are adhered to. The justification for this 300 Baht tax is clear as mud. Where it ends up will be even more obscure. 

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Arguing about a 300 baht entry fee is really small. I give that much a charity (or more) frequently.

It isn't about the 300 baht.  It is the ludicrousnous of the policy.  A country that is dependent on tourism should be doing things to "encourage" people to come.  A business raises prices when it has more demand for its product or services than it can accomodate.  A tourist attraction with few tourists hardly considers "raising prices" no matter how miniscule as a remedy for lack of tourists. 

Thailand is like a man caught in a revolving door.  One moment it is imposing quarantines, multiple PCR tests, mandatory insurance and tourist fees while the next moment it is announcing initiatives to encourage travelers from China and India.  

Make up your mind.  Do you want tourists or not?  If you do HINT You make tourists feel welcomed and you impose the miminum amount of burden t come.  Take an example from electric cars.  Governments provide "incentives" to encourage their purchase.  They don't impose an additional fee no matter how small that fee is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

It isn't about the 300 baht.  It is the ludicrousnous of the policy.  A country that is dependent on tourism should be doing things to "encourage" people to come.  A business raises prices when it has more demand for its product or services than it can accomodate.  A tourist attraction with few tourists hardly considers "raising prices" no matter how miniscule as a remedy for lack of tourists. 

Thailand is like a man caught in a revolving door.  One moment it is imposing quarantines, multiple PCR tests, mandatory insurance and tourist fees while the next moment it is announcing initiatives to encourage travelers from China and India.  

Make up your mind.  Do you want tourists or not?  If you do HINT You make tourists feel welcomed and you impose the miminum amount of burden t come.  Take an example from electric cars.  Governments provide "incentives" to encourage their purchase.  They don't impose an additional fee no matter how small that fee is. 

You are mixing things up. 

The PCR-test etc. Are to prevent tourist with covid from coming into Thailand. It's a public health measure.

The 300 baht is to cover other things. It will probably stay long after covid is gone. 

12 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The PCR-test etc. Are to prevent tourist with covid from coming into Thailand. It's a public health measure.

The 300 baht is to cover other things. It will probably stay long after covid is gone

No you are the one that is confused.  We have not had any significant amount of tourists to Thailand in some months, yet the number of cases in Thailand have increased.  I suggest a double vaxed tourist has more to fear from getting Covid while staying in Thailand than the Thai's have from contracting covid from  a person who is double vaccinated entering Thailand.  Is it possible.  Sure, but then why not test for TB, Syphillis, Dengue Fever, Aids etc.  After all if the issue is protecting than why is it only Covid that we should be concerned about. 

Again, to beat a dead horse, it is not the 300 baht.  It is this delusional thinking that the time to raise any fee is when tourism is dead in the water.  The fact that its use will cover other things after Covid is gone is irrelevant.  Why not make it 1,000 baht, or 10,000 baht using that piece of illogical thinking. 

Busiensses run promotions, discounts, specials when their business is looking to atttract more customers.  They don't raise prices on the idiom that well we will be using it to improve things in the years to come.   Oh we don't have customers, oh we will be imposing a cover charge to come into the restaurant.  What sort of nonsense thinking is that? 

I am staunchley of the opinion that this misguided notion of raising a 300 baht fee will cost the government more in lost tourism tax revenue than they ever gain from the 300 baht fee.  You either adopt polcies to make Thailand a "more attractive" place to visit or you impose fees and restrictions to inhibit it.  Make up your mind.  Do you want tourists or not? 

• Like 3

On 2/26/2022 at 1:49 AM, riclag said:

There is a remote chance ,a sliver ,that if enough people complain by bringing up the ,what I call inequities set out by the regime,that you mentioned  in your comment ,someone in authority in the govt might get  the hint that these concerns are probably the reason why travelers aren't coming here !

Lastly if that doesn't work then falangs will see others complaining and have common sense enough to beware of the revenue schemes

riclag there is this universal delusion in governments around the world that they can impose things like fees, business taxes, insurance mandates, employment mandates, minimum wage, healthcare mandates etc and they have no economic impact or unintended consequences. 

A cost is a cost.  It does not matter if the business charges higher prices due to a government fee or if the cost of its raw materials goes up.  It terms of Thailand and the 300 baht fee I suggest they look at Shopee and Lazada who routinely run promotions for free shipping, or  price discounts.  They are appropriately looking to incentify customers to spend more.  They are banking on the volume from the additional sales generates more profit than they lose with the discount.  They same is true of Tesco or Big C when they try and entice customers to come into the store with low priced specials.  
A tourist coming to Thailand spends on average 48,580 baht.  So if you have a family of 4 it is almost 200000 baht.  For each tourist that is discouraged not to come, the government and the economy loses far more than the 300 baht would generate.  Is the 300 baht the breaking point.  Who knows.  I just know you don't raise prices and expect volume to increase. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What .

Are you concerned about outrageous numerous taxes or not ?

On one hand you seem to be complaining about how many taxes you have to pay then you seem to be saying that you dont mind paying yet another tax

4 hours ago, longwood50 said:

No you are the one that is confused.  We have not had any significant amount of tourists to Thailand in some months, yet the number of cases in Thailand have increased.  I suggest a double vaxed tourist has more to fear from getting Covid while staying in Thailand than the Thai's have from contracting covid from  a person who is double vaccinated entering Thailand.  Is it possible.  Sure, but then why not test for TB, Syphillis, Dengue Fever, Aids etc.  After all if the issue is protecting than why is it only Covid that we should be concerned about. 

Again, to beat a dead horse, it is not the 300 baht.  It is this delusional thinking that the time to raise any fee is when tourism is dead in the water.  The fact that its use will cover other things after Covid is gone is irrelevant.  Why not make it 1,000 baht, or 10,000 baht using that piece of illogical thinking. 

Busiensses run promotions, discounts, specials when their business is looking to atttract more customers.  They don't raise prices on the idiom that well we will be using it to improve things in the years to come.   Oh we don't have customers, oh we will be imposing a cover charge to come into the restaurant.  What sort of nonsense thinking is that? 

I am staunchley of the opinion that this misguided notion of raising a 300 baht fee will cost the government more in lost tourism tax revenue than they ever gain from the 300 baht fee.  You either adopt polcies to make Thailand a "more attractive" place to visit or you impose fees and restrictions to inhibit it.  Make up your mind.  Do you want tourists or not? 

99% of tourists to Thailand aren't on forums like this

They aren't reading up on news like this 

They will land and be told they need to pay 300 baht tourist tax and will pay it and not even put one thought into it at all

I've paid tourist tax all over the world and never put more than 10 seconds of thought into it

They will lose exactly zero tourists over this 

Even the guys complaining about it on here because most of them are obsessed with the place and would pay anything to keep going there 

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

What .

Are you concerned about outrageous numerous taxes or not ?

On one hand you seem to be complaining about how many taxes you have to pay then you seem to be saying that you dont mind paying yet another tax

My point is the taxes are what they are

I need a rental car, I'm going to pay it

There are tourists taxes in many countries 

I pay it, and by the way, they are a hell of lot less than taxes I pay for hotels and rental cars in North America