News Forum - Tourists will have to pay 300 baht ‘land entry fee,’ minister confirms

Thaiger

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

I see your point, however the stated is "foreign emergencies"  However I would suggest that they are being penny wise and pound foolish.  Average spending per tourist in 2019 was 48,580 Thai baht.  So for each tourist "discouraged" by whether it is the 300 baht fee, the manadatory PCR testing, the mandatory quarantine, it costs the economy 161 times the 300 baht fee.  Assuming that all of the 48,580 aveage spending was subject to VAT, the government loses 3,400 baht in income chasing 300 baht.  

Businesses run sales to encourage more customers to shop and come to their store. Thailand is doing the opposite. 

The ones objecting to the 300 baht entry aren't the same ones averaging 48,580 baht per day. That group doesn't miss the 300 baht. It's the group complaining about the cost of baht buses etc that's complaining.

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

The ones objecting to the 300 baht entry aren't the same ones averaging 48,580 baht per day. That group doesn't miss the 300 baht. It's the group complaining about the cost of baht buses etc that's complaining.

no fred, the people complaining are the people who can see the bigger picture and the potential for yet more damage to the thai inbound travel industry.

very senior industry professionals, mainly uber hiso thais are lobbying the government in bangkok on a daily basis not to introduce this or any other levys at this time and has been Widely reported on in the press. 

Now is not the time to shake the money tree for an extra few free baht by the government however small the amount is.

Industry professionals and many posters here also realise that. 

Edited by Cathat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Whether you are talking about 1 baht, 100 baht, 1000 baht or 100,000 baht raising the cost is only about the degree of disincentive to visit Thailand.  The 'AVERAGE' is 48,580 spent.  The 300 baht fee is modest but with tourism waining it would make more sense to give incoming tourists a 300 baht per person voucher, hoping that more will come. 

The restaurant does not raise its prices with the anticipation that doing so will "increase" the number of diners at its restaurant.  The same is true of all the impediments that Thailand is throwing at potential tourists.  The 300 baht fee is modes for 1 person but it is 1,500 for a family of 5.  The PCR test is only 3,500 for one person but 17,500 for that same family of 5.  So who might not find the costs too terribly burdensome.  The single male traveling to Thailand seeking nightlife.  This is exactly the tourist that the government says it doesn't want to encourage. 

• Like 2

I had no idea that PCR-test was so expensive. When I had one done at a private hospital it was 900 baht and since the price has been reduced.

When prices go up you alway have a choice to buy or not. If enough people don't come because of the 300 baht I'm  sure it will be rethought. 

I still think the 300 baht fee is very low and will have no effect on arrivals.

Your right that the single males might not be welcomed unless they bring in a lot of money.

27 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Your right that the single males might not be welcomed unless they bring in a lot of money.

There was a time, where the single males brought more money IN to Thailand, as a family of 4 or x, on a package deal. 

Single male often arrive on a plane ticket, only. And spend ALL the money for their trip in Thailand. And most often a big part of that went straight into the transfers to the north, into street vendors, gar kitchen pockets.

The Chinese, also most Russian and other western package tourists, paying the majority of their money in there home countries. And just part of that is coming to Thailand. 

Their was a big part of the Thais just living fine from the money of the "single males". Lots of houses and buffalos, pickups, motos got paid from there "input"! ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I suggest you start by complaining to your elected representatives in the UK. You might have better luck. Complaining about Thailand make you look silly cheap. So either your a constant complainer or cheap or both. Those are my thoughts.

You dragged the UK fees into the discussion not me for reasons only known to yourself.if you want to keep comparing apples and oranges IL leave you to it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Benroon said:

Exit fee is dwarfed by western exit fees so cheap here yes ? 

The picture of the entry fee sign always bandied about showing ‘Thais 20 baht foreigner 200 baht’ is older than most people on here - have you other examples ? Or do the ‘Outraged ‘Westerners National Parks’ Commitee always use this sign ? 

You are also getting your charges mixed up

The 7% is VAT, and again MUCH lower than western countries so good right ? (How is it illegal to charge this btw ?)

The 10% is likely to be your service charge and is annoyingly applied across the globe - you’ve never stayed in a hotel ? just don’t tip if it’s applied, though my instinct tells me you’re probably not the worlds greatest tipper.  You can also refuse to pay if if you’re not happy with the service providing you have enough money on you to cover it, oh and if 10% offends you don’t ever visit the US where they will chase you down the street if you haven’t left them 20%+ ! So again good right ? 

Taxes as a proportion of income here across the board are a fraction of western levels - good again right ? 

Foods cheaper, beers cheaper, weathers good, and despite the recent large hikes in petrol costs here, fuel is significantly cheaper here - cheering up yet ? 

You can see a doctor the same day you choose here for a relatively small fee and not have to wait 3 months in the U.K. during which time any serious disease will have progressed nicely - not bad eh ? 

Now about that outrageously punitive 300baht, how many times every day do you save that 300 baht and more, just by virtue of living here ? 

So all in all not a bad place to be right ? though I’m assuming of course with that list of complaints you don’t live here ? 

Americans need to get tips because they are way underpaid  by there laws!

Too bad!

Other countries pay proper wages and do not tip!

Thai culture does not recognise tipping in all tourist books!

So bad luck Thai workers !

Most people will definitely not tip you as your government is taking your share!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Grant said:

Too bad!

Most people will definitely not tip you as your government is taking your share!

Is the topic 300 baht fee. I’m happy to pay both. Btw Thais do tip in restaurants. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LoongFred said:

had no idea that PCR-test was so expensive.

I don't know where you got your PCR tests but here in Pattaya it is 3,800 at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya 3,500 Pattaya International is 3,500.  One clinic is advertising 2,500 but remember the tourist is at the mercy of whoever they can locate and can easily get to. 

2 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I don't know where you got your PCR tests but here in Pattaya it is 3,800 at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya 3,500 Pattaya International is 3,500.  One clinic is advertising 2,500 but remember the tourist is at the mercy of whoever they can locate and can easily get to. 

Best not to go to Pattaya. 

On 2/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, Grant said:

Too bad!

That's cool, feel free to ignore the rest which totally debunked your hatred of all things Thai.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 5:49 AM, longwood50 said:

It isn't the $10.  It is the idea that somehow you add just one more burden on tourists and say it doesn't matter.  Also it is only $10 for one person but $50 for a family of 5.  So if Thailand ever recovers to normal tourist levels they will be collecting $12 billion baht per year.  Now if they used that money to make Thailand a more attractive place to visit, then it is probably OK.  If they use it to buy more submarines, and stealth aircraft, then the money is being misappropriated. 

$10 is not going to make a solitary person change their mind and if a family of 5 are considering a holiday costing many thousands, $50 isn't going to make a blind bit of difference either. It is absolutely of no concern of yours where it's spent as people paying the far far more punitive departure taxes in the UK get no say either. It all goes into the government coffers.

This is just anti thai moaning for the sake of it.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 3:02 AM, JMichaels said:

Take the extra COVID costs off the table; eventually they will fade away and become just an unpleasant memory.

For years, I endured queuing at the airport to fork over 500THB to get my approval to leave the country. I was quite happy when they added it to the plane ticket cost to reduce this painful ritual.

And as many other posters have stated, tourist taxes are quite common around the world. Travelling to a city that has just built a new sports stadium? Check your hotel bill...

And as to where this money goes in Thailand... tell me that the taxes in you home country are always spent responsibly...  

Crikey - don't you come on here after only 4 posts spouting your common sense, early contender for post of the week stuff !! 😁

I'm not sure if you're new to thai forums but its a magnet for anti thai folk who think the world owes them a living - it's like walking through treacle sometimes but we all try to bring a ray of light to their Leo sodden lives 😊  I think it's a calling !

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, LoongFred said:

It amazes me that people are so negative and can't afford $10 entrance fee. How much did they spend traveling to Thailand and how much do they spend to travel around?

It's not the 10 dollar fee, it's the fact they look at us with dollar signs in their eyes and think they can milk us for more money when they are already forcing perfectly healthy foreigners to purchase insurance, at least 1 mon trh even if you're only coming for 1 week.

And, all the other rippoffs where they racially discriminate against us and charge up to 10 times what they charge Thai citizens.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

It's not the 10 dollar fee, it's the fact they look at us with dollar signs in their eyes and think they can milk us for more money when they are already forcing perfectly healthy foreigners to purchase insurance, at least 1 mon trh even if you're only coming for 1 week.

And, all the other rippoffs where they racially discriminate against us and charge up to 10 times what they charge Thai citizens.

Everyone should have insurance......healthy or not. I fear that your attitude does not make you a good fit with Thailand..........try the Philippines  -  that's not corrupt!!  🤣

Anyone coming for a week must be mental!

46 minutes ago, Benroon said:

This is just anti thai moaning for the sake of it.

No, its feedback about the racial discrimination and ripoffs aimed at foreigners. There's no forward progress in Thailand if there's no freedom of speech or transparency. Anyone who calls that moaning is supporting racial discrimination and scams which discredit Thailand. No wonder there's no forward progress in Thailand because there's too many foreigners supporting bad behaviour.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

No wonder there's no forward progress in Thailand because there's too many foreigners supporting bad behaviour.

That's a BS argument if I ever heard one.

59 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

No, its feedback about the racial discrimination and ripoffs aimed at foreigners. There's no forward progress in Thailand if there's no freedom of speech or transparency. Anyone who calls that moaning is supporting racial discrimination and scams which discredit Thailand. No wonder there's no forward progress in Thailand because there's too many foreigners supporting bad behaviour.

But it's not is it - as has already been explained multiple times it is far far more punitive in the countries that the aforementioned moaners come from. How is it a scam ? The government have decided to raise this fee and you can choose whether to pay it or not. 30,000 baht annoying, 3,000 baht guess can live with it but 300 baht ? jesus wept ! ALL governments raise revenue. So scams are exclusive to Thailand ? £844,000,000 lost to scams in the UK alone. Thousands relieved of their pension pots.

You call it 'supporting bad behaviour', I call it realising if 300 baht matters to you that much you are living way too close to the edge.

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

Crikey - don't you come on here after only 4 posts spouting your common sense, early contender for post of the week stuff !! 😁

I'm not sure if you're new to thai forums but its a magnet for anti thai folk who think the world owes them a living - it's like walking through treacle sometimes but we all try to bring a ray of light to their Leo sodden lives 😊  I think it's a calling !

Love your reply; thank you!

Yes I am new to this forum, but this debate is certainly old as dirt across all Thailand forums.

As I'm sure many would agree, Thailand will never adapt to you; you have to adapt to Thailand. Usually those running to the exits are the one who cannot.

To be clear, I do not the like the fact I incurred an extra 15k in COVID expenses during my trip past Dec. I do not like having to pay the Boys in Brown for questionable traffic stops. I do not like 2-tier pricing. 

So you have options: (1) Avoid these scams (have fun stuck at home). (2) Wince and moan (likely will not change anything, but maybe some short term satisfaction) (3) Contemplate whether Thailand is the right place for you.

Adapt. Be nice. Learn some conversational Thai. You may be seen as a repeat customer vs. a transient ATM. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JMichaels said:

Love your reply; thank you!

Yes I am new to this forum, but this debate is certainly old as dirt across all Thailand forums.

As I'm sure many would agree, Thailand will never adapt to you; you have to adapt to Thailand. Usually those running to the exits are the one who cannot.

To be clear, I do not the like the fact I incurred an extra 15k in COVID expenses during my trip past Dec. I do not like having to pay the Boys in Brown for questionable traffic stops. I do not like 2-tier pricing. 

So you have options: (1) Avoid these scams (have fun stuck at home). (2) Wince and moan (likely will not change anything, but maybe some short term satisfaction) (3) Contemplate whether Thailand is the right place for you.

Adapt. Be nice. Learn some conversational Thai. You may be seen as a repeat customer vs. a transient ATM. 

There is a remote chance ,a sliver ,that if enough people complain by bringing up the ,what I call inequities set out by the regime,that you mentioned  in your comment ,someone in authority in the govt might get  the hint that these concerns are probably the reason why travelers aren't coming here !

Lastly if that doesn't work then falangs will see others complaining and have common sense enough to beware of the revenue schemes

• Like 2

Ha ha,have they clocked the £ and € exchange rate? Falling fast.Add the price of a barrel of oil.......inflation...........heat or eat.........Putin's put a bomb under the travel hopes and dreams of half the planet.

39 minutes ago, yselmike said:

Ha ha,have they clocked the £ and € exchange rate? Falling fast.Add the price of a barrel of oil.......inflation...........heat or eat.........Putin's put a bomb under the travel hopes and dreams of half the planet.

The Pound has dropped by about 50 setang from Tuesday , I really dont think that that 50 setang drop will stop half the planet from travelling and BTW , the Pound has risen against the Baht today 

• Like 1