News Forum - Tourists will have to pay 300 baht ‘land entry fee,’ minister confirms

Thaiger

15 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Actually, I think that at least the 700 Baht leaving fee is also to find in plane tickets for Thai passengers. Will assumingly be the same for the 300 baht entry with plane in the ticket fee. Not sure how that will be on a land boarder entry. Are Thais exempt, here?

And you see how clever other countries doing it? Not only it is mostly hidden in the bill somewhere, under "taxes", they even have more revenues!

I’m unsure of how the new 300 baht charge will be collected and if exemptions apply or Thais may be able to claim it back?

I don’t think Italy and Spain try to hide it in anyway. The hotel bill clearly states “Tourist tax”. I also have faith that the money collected is indeed used to maintain and improve tourist sites of interest or other infrastructure. Not surprisingly I have less faith in such a tax being used in such a way in Thailand. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m unsure of how the new 300 baht charge will be collected and if exemptions apply or Thais may be able to claim it back?

I don’t think Italy and Spain try to hide it in anyway. The hotel bill clearly states “Tourist tax”. I also have faith that the money collected is indeed used to maintain and improve tourist sites of interest or other infrastructure. Not surprisingly I have less faith in such a tax being used in such a way in Thailand. 

For plane tickets, they will follow the 700 baht, and put it in the ticket.

I am not aware, that any Thai I know and has flown out, got the 700 back. Except "us", no one is even talking about that departure fee anymore! That will happen with the 300 baht for plane arrivals quickly, too. Just the 300 over land border might spoil that. I actually see there more the "chance", that they will introduce, after tourism arrivals picking up in xx month (post pandemic), to make it 700 on departure over land, too!

And yes, in SOME countries, it is separately in the bill. In others, however, it is just under "taxes". 

But the thing is: It is not only Thailand. They just aren't very clever, yet, in charging it.

Give them time, 50-100 .... ;-)

• Like 1

A change to the cash upon departure tax 2007 ...

The Airports of Thailand authority increased international departure tax to 700 Thai Baht for international departures on February 1st 2007 , an increase of 200 Baht on the old tax of 500 Thai Baht.

From February 2007 the Airport Tax was included in your flight ticket, regardless of which airline you are flying with.

There was no need to keep 700 Baht to pay the tax at the airport – it had already been included in your flight cost.

However ...You might have wanted to keep the 700 Baht handy for some overpriced drinks and food, however.

As for idiotic tourists not having travel insurance....🤨

yet more nickel and dimeing guaranteed to pee off loads of potential visitors.

this new fee for who knows what will harm the weekend trade from malaysia and singapore in south thailand when land borders open again.

Most folks come for a weekend of cheap eats and shopping and this will act as a deterrent.

Its not just the cost,it will result in long queues at the border crossings while people pay up also.

when you start looking at this sort of thing and the other inflated visitors fees applied to national parks etc then apply it to a family of four it starts to add up to be a noticeable sum.it's not as if you are getting any extra services for your extra fees.

these sort of rip offs do get noticed and people will simply go else where.

"The minister told the Associated Press the idea for this fee first came up after the Erawan Shrine bombing in 2015, after The Bureau of the Budget allocated some of it’s budget to treating injured tourists. But in 2019, the bureau said it couldn’t do this, and suggested the tourism ministry collect funds from tourists to use in case of emergencies."

During the last complaints about the fee, I can imagine them trying to figure out a way to justify this. They have been digging very deep to find a reason. Using a bombing as an excuse for this? So what are tourists going to pay for? For the chance they will be caught in another bombing? How often does that happen? How often does it happen compared to how much money they get out of this? 

Btw, using this as an excuse, will only chase away tourists, because when they get to hear the reason, they will doubt whether to go to a country with usual bombings or not. Using this as an excuse makes it sound as if there are bombings frequently. Yeah maybe in the south, but who goes there? It's advised not to go there for this reason.

Just be honest, say you want to stick that 300 THB per tourist in your pocket and have more chance people will actually come and pay it. 

Another point. 

People in charge: Hey! Stop asking 300 THB at the parking lot in Pattaya! You may not do that, because it should be free! 

Same people in charge: It's ok when WE do it. 

They point with one finger to others, but in the same time, the other 3 fingers are pointing back at themselves. 

11 hours ago, Grant said:

Not to mention 7% service charge added to restaurants bills and Hotels sometimes illegally?

I think that would be 10% service charge, then. 

And in case that happens, it happens also to Thais. Also it corrects my tips to none!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cathat said:

yet more nickel and dimeing guaranteed to pee off loads of potential visitors.

this new fee for who knows what will harm the weekend trade from malaysia and singapore in south thailand when land borders open again.

Most folks come for a weekend of cheap eats and shopping and this will act as a deterrent.

Its not just the cost,it will result in long queues at the border crossings while people pay up also.

when you start looking at this sort of thing and the other inflated visitors fees applied to national parks etc then apply it to a family of four it starts to add up to be a noticeable sum.it's not as if you are getting any extra services for your extra fees.

these sort of rip offs do get noticed and people will simply go else where.

It’s 300 baht - get real. Anyone changing their plans to avoid a 300 baht charge isn’t going to be missed by anyone! That’s if those people actually exist. 

Oh long haul departure tax from U.K. is now roughly 4000 baht on every economy ticket and post 23,000 on business seats!

But Thailand is a rip off right ? 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grant said:

700Baht exit fee hidden!

300Baht entry fee hidden

up to 10x payment over Thai fees for entry to tourist spots and Temples?

charging Farangs different prices for street food in some circumstances?

Charging Farangs different service charges on many retail establishments?

Its like the code of silence here unless you catch them out?

Farangs hit with fines for not wearing seat belts while car loads of pickups with workers hanging out the back are not seen by the Police?

Trucks driving with workers on top ?

No fines ?

so where does it stop charging Farangs and tourists ?

You May say it’s only another $10 until plan B & C add more charges hidden in every aspect of travelling tourists!

Not to mention 10% added tax to Hotels bills on food Beverage and accommodation?

Not to mention 7% service charge added to restaurants bills and Hotels sometimes illegally?

No!

It’s not just 300 Baht ?

It goes on and on !

Exit fee is dwarfed by western exit fees so cheap here yes ? 

The picture of the entry fee sign always bandied about showing ‘Thais 20 baht foreigner 200 baht’ is older than most people on here - have you other examples ? Or do the ‘Outraged ‘Westerners National Parks’ Commitee always use this sign ? 

You are also getting your charges mixed up

The 7% is VAT, and again MUCH lower than western countries so good right ? (How is it illegal to charge this btw ?)

The 10% is likely to be your service charge and is annoyingly applied across the globe - you’ve never stayed in a hotel ? just don’t tip if it’s applied, though my instinct tells me you’re probably not the worlds greatest tipper.  You can also refuse to pay if if you’re not happy with the service providing you have enough money on you to cover it, oh and if 10% offends you don’t ever visit the US where they will chase you down the street if you haven’t left them 20%+ ! So again good right ? 

Taxes as a proportion of income here across the board are a fraction of western levels - good again right ? 

Foods cheaper, beers cheaper, weathers good, and despite the recent large hikes in petrol costs here, fuel is significantly cheaper here - cheering up yet ? 

You can see a doctor the same day you choose here for a relatively small fee and not have to wait 3 months in the U.K. during which time any serious disease will have progressed nicely - not bad eh ? 

Now about that outrageously punitive 300baht, how many times every day do you save that 300 baht and more, just by virtue of living here ? 

So all in all not a bad place to be right ? though I’m assuming of course with that list of complaints you don’t live here ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Benroon said:

It’s 300 baht - get real. Anyone changing their plans to avoid a 300 baht charge isn’t going to be missed by anyone! That’s if those people actually exist. 

Oh long haul departure tax from U.K. is now roughly 4000 baht on every economy ticket and post 23,000 on business seats!

But Thailand is a rip off right .

One of the reasons UK departure taxes are so high is because it has been continuously increased over the years but started very small and people said o it's only a small amount probably about the equivalent of 300 baht then,and look we're it's ended up.

You want to end up pay large  taxes for flying from a to b,start by paying small ones and that's the end result.

Take the extra COVID costs off the table; eventually they will fade away and become just an unpleasant memory.

For years, I endured queuing at the airport to fork over 500THB to get my approval to leave the country. I was quite happy when they added it to the plane ticket cost to reduce this painful ritual.

And as many other posters have stated, tourist taxes are quite common around the world. Travelling to a city that has just built a new sports stadium? Check your hotel bill...

And as to where this money goes in Thailand... tell me that the taxes in you home country are always spent responsibly...  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Grant said:

700Baht exit fee hidden!

300Baht entry fee hidden

up to 10x payment over Thai fees for entry to tourist spots and Temples?

charging Farangs different prices for street food in some circumstances?

Charging Farangs different service charges on many retail establishments?

Its like the code of silence here unless you catch them out?

Farangs hit with fines for not wearing seat belts while car loads of pickups with workers hanging out the back are not seen by the Police?

Trucks driving with workers on top ?

No fines ?

so where does it stop charging Farangs and tourists ?

You May say it’s only another $10 until plan B & C add more charges hidden in every aspect of travelling tourists!

Not to mention 10% added tax to Hotels bills on food Beverage and accommodation?

No!

It’s not just 300 Baht ?

It goes on and on !

You must only go to tourist places. I don't see any of that where I'm at. 

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

How the fee is used is non of your concern. You should concentrate your energies on how fees are used in the UK. It has already be stated that the fees in the UK are very high. In Thailand it's only a concern for the Thais.

1 hour ago, JMichaels said:

Take the extra COVID costs off the table; eventually they will fade away and become just an unpleasant memory.

I think the medical insurance is here to stay. And the 300 baht exit tax is just the start. I don’t care as it’s not a lot of money and if I did care enough to not want to pay it then the world is a big place.

• Like 1

It amazes me that people are so negative and can't afford $10 entrance fee. How much did they spend traveling to Thailand and how much do they spend to travel around?

11 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

How the fee is used is non of your concern. You should concentrate your energies on how fees are used in the UK. It has already be stated that the fees in the UK are very high. In Thailand it's only a concern for the Thais.

Well done Fred. Going for the most stupid comment of the day award again I see. 

It’s my money they are taking, hence I have an interest in how it’s spent. As I said yesterday. I have no problem paying such a tax in Italy or Spain or the UK even. I know it will be spent properly and with oversight. In Thailand, the only way it will find its way in to tourism is to upgrade the swimming pool in the government ministers holiday homes. 

Now be a good boy and do what you said and put me on ignore. If you don’t know how to do it let me know 

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Exit fee is dwarfed by western exit fees so cheap here yes ? 

The picture of the entry fee sign always bandied about showing ‘Thais 20 baht foreigner 200 baht’ is older than most people on here - have you other examples ? Or do the ‘Outraged ‘Westerners National Parks’ Commitee always use this sign ? 

You are also getting your charges mixed up

The 7% is VAT, and again MUCH lower than western countries so good right ? (How is it illegal to charge this btw ?)

The 10% is likely to be your service charge and is annoyingly applied across the globe - you’ve never stayed in a hotel ? just don’t tip if it’s applied, though my instinct tells me you’re probably not the worlds greatest tipper.  You can also refuse to pay if if you’re not happy with the service providing you have enough money on you to cover it, oh and if 10% offends you don’t ever visit the US where they will chase you down the street if you haven’t left them 20%+ ! So again good right ? 

Taxes as a proportion of income here across the board are a fraction of western levels - good again right ? 

Foods cheaper, beers cheaper, weathers good, and despite the recent large hikes in petrol costs here, fuel is significantly cheaper here - cheering up yet ? 

You can see a doctor the same day you choose here for a relatively small fee and not have to wait 3 months in the U.K. during which time any serious disease will have progressed nicely - not bad eh ? 

Now about that outrageously punitive 300baht, how many times every day do you save that 300 baht and more, just by virtue of living here ? 

So all in all not a bad place to be right ? though I’m assuming of course with that list of complaints you don’t live here ? 

Wow Mr Smarty Pants American!

It is illegal to add  the service charge to non Hotels that are registered for Tax!

Mr I know everything!

It is also not customary to tip in Thailand if you read all the tourist books and blogs?

There are other countries apart from America in this World !

But big shot Americans think they know everything including not wearing masks and spreading the Virus and disobeying mask wearing?

Many countries in the world do not tip like America or do not tip at all!

Maybe because some countries actually pay their workers a fair wage !

Anyway the point is that it’s not just an added 300 Baht as they add on to everything at the moment!

The Government here also saying that price gorging is illegal!

add to that an extra night in a SHA hotel and a test for around $100 dollars a taxi fare to the Hotel .

Meals at the Hotel and The Taxes

Its not just 300Baht?

plus added to that is a departure tax of 700 Baht hidden!

Thailand should be grateful that a tourist chose their country to spend money here on Hotels and attractions and stop adding extra taxes to tourists!

Just another reason for tourists not to come!

Mr Big shot

16 minutes ago, Grant said:

It is illegal to add  the service charge to non Hotels that are registered for Tax!

Mr I know everything!

It is also not customary to tip in Thailand if you read all the tourist books and blogs?

But big shot Americans think they know everything including not wearing masks and spreading the Virus and disobeying mask wearing?

Anyway the point is that it’s not just an added 300 Baht as they add on to everything at the moment!

add to that an extra night in a SHA hotel and a test for around $100 dollars a taxi fare to the Hotel .

Its not just 300Baht?

Thailand should be grateful that a tourist chose their country to spend money here on Hotels and attractions and stop adding extra taxes to tourists!

Mr Big shot

Quite amusing that during what appears to be a rant about Americans that all the prices are listed in American dollars.  😀

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Grant said:

Thailand believes they are special to the rest of the world?

if they don’t want tourists to come , just come out and say it!

You have that absolutely correct.  There is this grandious notion that Tourists are so enthralled with Thailand that they don't consider anyplace else. 

Though the 300 baht fee is negligible, even the amount is grossly overstated for its stated purpose to pay "for emergencies".  Assuming a "normal" tourist year of 40 million tourists, that is 12 Billion Baht. There is no way that the government spends that amount each and every year on "foreigner emergencies" 

Tourists go where they like, but they also go where they are treated well and they don't have a huge hassle in getting to or exiting from the country.  This idea that you can force tourists to get multiple PCR tests, quarantine, purchase health insurance etc and that they will still choose to come to Thailand is insane. 

The very wealthy who they say they want to attract wont put up with the hassle, nor will they only choose Thailand.  Given a choice of the French Riviera, Monaco, or Santorini Greece versus Thailand I suggest that Thailand would finish last in terms of preference. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Your  choice but will $10 break you?

It isn't the $10.  It is the idea that somehow you add just one more burden on tourists and say it doesn't matter.  Also it is only $10 for one person but $50 for a family of 5.  So if Thailand ever recovers to normal tourist levels they will be collecting $12 billion baht per year.  Now if they used that money to make Thailand a more attractive place to visit, then it is probably OK.  If they use it to buy more submarines, and stealth aircraft, then the money is being misappropriated. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Grant said:

Mr I know everything!

Its not just 300Baht?

Mr Big shot

So, it seems you are very interested in cost and can't afford a tip for good service. Maybe you expect everything for free or maybe you really shouldn't come. It's up to you but Thailand is really looking for tourists that can pay there own way. 

BTW Thais do tip but probably not as much as Americans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, longwood50 said:

It isn't the $10.  It is the idea that somehow you add just one more burden on tourists and say it doesn't matter.  Also it is only $10 for one person but $50 for a family of 5.  So if Thailand ever recovers to normal tourist levels they will be collecting $12 billion baht per year.  Now if they used that money to make Thailand a more attractive place to visit, then it is probably OK.  If they use it to buy more submarines, and stealth aircraft, then the money is being misappropriated. 

I've said before it's not our concern. If Disneyland ups there prices do we ask how the money is spent. No, we either go or not. Asking your host how they spend their money is very assuming and rude, IMO

3 hours ago, Cathat said:

One of the reasons UK departure taxes are so high is because it has been continuously increased over the years but started very small and people said o it's only a small amount probably about the equivalent of 300 baht then,and look we're it's ended up.

You want to end up pay large  taxes for flying from a to b,start by paying small ones and that's the end result.

I suggest you start by complaining to your elected representatives in the UK. You might have better luck. Complaining about Thailand make you look silly cheap. So either your a constant complainer or cheap or both. Those are my thoughts.

17 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I've said before it's not our concern. If Disneyland ups there prices do we ask how the money is spent. No, we either go or not. Asking your host how they spend their money is very assuming and rude, IMO

I see your point, however the stated is "foreign emergencies"  However I would suggest that they are being penny wise and pound foolish.  Average spending per tourist in 2019 was 48,580 Thai baht.  So for each tourist "discouraged" by whether it is the 300 baht fee, the manadatory PCR testing, the mandatory quarantine, it costs the economy 161 times the 300 baht fee.  Assuming that all of the 48,580 aveage spending was subject to VAT, the government loses 3,400 baht in income chasing 300 baht.  

Businesses run sales to encourage more customers to shop and come to their store. Thailand is doing the opposite. 

• Like 1