News Forum - Popular “sexpat” blogger Stickboy leaves Thailand over dead nightlife, restrictions

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

What a mirthless lot we have here. Live and let live for heavens sake.

Mirthless? Half my posts are cracks. 

I see no difference in a so-called sex pats and a couple who go to Phuket fora honeymoon.

But no one calls honeymooners "sex tourists". 

And as for jokes I've got 'em. Some are even funny. 

His postings were not entirely about the bar industry however it was the main stay of his site for sure.

He is simply the latest in a long line of bangkok nightlife chroniclers and once things pick up he will probably be superceded by somebody new or perhaps return.

I have read trink/stickman/stickyboy and a few other columns over the years and found their writing about the industry fairly interesting.

Irrespective of what you think about it the world's oldest profession it is alive and well and if somebody thinks they can make money writing about it they will.live and let live!

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Mirthless? Half my posts are cracks. 

I see no difference in a so-called sex pats and a couple who go to Phuket fora honeymoon.

But no one calls honeymooners "sex tourists". 

And as for jokes I've got 'em. Some are even funny. 

Huge difference. 

Honeymooners come to Thailand a few days to celebrate their wedding (regardless of how much sex they have). 

Sexpats move to Thailand with only sex in their mind. Their life revolves around sex, because they are addicted to it.

They don't move to Thailand because they like the culture, or the weather, or to make money / work, no, it's just because of "cheap" sex. 

Edited by ctxa

2 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Huge difference. 

Honeymooners come to Thailand a few days to celebrate their wedding (regardless of how much sex they have). 

Sexpats move to Thailand with only sex in their mind. Their life revolves around sex, because they are addicted to it.

They don't move to Thailand because they like the culture, or the weather, or to make money / work, no, it's just because of "cheap" sex. 

Ah thank you. So the complaint about Sexpats is really volume and price. 

If they came to Thailand and instead of spending THB30,000 per month on cheap sex, spent THB360,000 in a weekend once a year on expensive  sex, as well as enjoying some Thai culture - beautiful wats, wise Theravada monks, delicious Issan and Southern dishes, Luk Thung music, monkey festivals in Lop Buri, flower festivals, Songkran, etc - they would be OK? 

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Ah thank you. So the complaint about Sexpats is really volume and price. 

If they came to Thailand and instead of spending THB30,000 per month on cheap sex, spent THB360,000 in a weekend once a year on expensive  sex, as well as enjoying some Thai culture - beautiful wats, wise Theravada monks, delicious Issan and Southern dishes, Luk Thung music, monkey festivals in Lop Buri, flower festivals, Songkran, etc - they would be OK? 

Sure, to me they are scum and troublemakers, and most of the stereotypes Thais have about farangs which eventually impact us all come from sexpats, and so I can't stand them and I want them far away from me. I don't socialize much around foreigners in Thailand (if at all) just out of fear of coming across sexpats. 

It's just a personal opinion, fair enough if you love being around them, but to me they are sick people (just like drug addicts) and scum. 

Edited by ctxa

4 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Sure, to me they are scum and troublemakers, and most of the stereotypes Thais have about farangs which eventually impact us all come from sexpats, and so I can't stand them and I want them far away from me. I don't socialize much around foreigners in Thailand (if at all) just out of fear of coming across sexpats. 

It's just a personal opinion, fair enough if you love being around them, but to me they are sick people (just like drug addicts) and scum. 

Well, I was joking, just like the comment about honeymooners. 

Prostitute dependent men - whether Japanese men in Japan or a Swede in Pattaya - are often socially shy people who lack confidence, but like everyone need human companionship. 

And the local Thais have "paid companions" (or even 'compensated dating' as it's sometimes referred to in Japan) so this seems like something you're against everyone doing (which is fine) or just overseas people ?

But just resenting lonely socially awkward foreign men for a vice Thais practice (possibly for the same reasons) seems unfair? 

If I could get rid of prostitution I would, but records of it go back to Enkidu and ancient Sumeria. I'm sure Sumerians were disgusted by Akkadian tourists who just came for the temple prostitutes and didn't bother to learn Sumerian or appreciate Sumerian culture. ;-) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Well, I was joking, just like the comment about honeymooners. 

Prostitute dependent men - whether Japanese men in Japan or a Swede in Pattaya - are often socially shy people who lack confidence, but like everyone need human companionship. 

And the local Thais have "paid companions" (or even 'compensated dating' as it's sometimes referred to in Japan) so this seems like something you're against everyone doing (which is fine) or just overseas people ?

But just resenting lonely socially awkward foreign men for a vice Thais practice (possibly for the same reasons) seems unfair? 

If I could get rid of prostitution I would, but records of it go back to Enkidu and ancient Sumeria. I'm sure Sumerians were disgusted by Akkadian tourists who just came for the temple prostitutes and didn't bother to learn Sumerian or appreciate Sumerian culture. ;-) 

We all need companionship and having a paid companion isn't that bad so long as both of them are happy with it, right? I would never do it myself because I am against prostitution, but I wouldn't ban it either; so long as both agree to it and are happy, everything is fine, live and let live. Also I don't consider these sexpats at all. They are just lone western men who found in Thailand someone willing to give them sex in exchange for a better life, so long as the girl is of age, everything is fine. 

Like I said sexpats are a different kind, those who come here blinded by sex, who want to shag a different girl everyday, and often times cheating her to not pay her anything, those who believe they are untouchable here in Thailand, those who do whatever they want often embarrassing us all... I guess you must know what I mean if you've been around Thailand long enough. These are pure scum, and not even their own countries want them.

Edited by ctxa

32 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, yselmike said:

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

I don't think he's wrong or doesn't represent a real body of people who feel the same way. 

Sure some overseas people/farang are revolting, but every country has their less appealing members :-) 

I think @ctxa is missing out on knowing good and valuable farang by avoiding them without knowing them if that's the case. 

• Like 1

From https://coconuts.co/bangkok/lifestyle/sexpat-blogger-stickboy-abruptly-pulls-out-of-bangkok/

McKay said in a message. “I just decided fบ๔k it. 2022 is going to be another wasted year with no revenue worth talking about, so took the decision to call it a day.”

I think he's wrong about 2022 being a wasted year for everyone. 

The red light districts may need to adopt a lower profile ("Soi Cowboy Burgers" and "Nana Plaza Pad Thai"?) and adapt to the lower relevance of bars as a way to socialize (I e. Sex dating apps which cut out the middleman), but I think even the worlds oldest profession survive the COVID. 

2 hours ago, ctxa said:

We all need companionship and having a paid companion isn't that bad so long as both of them are happy with it, right? I would never do it myself because I am against prostitution, but I wouldn't ban it either; so long as both agree to it and are happy, everything is fine, live and let live. Also I don't consider these sexpats at all. They are just lone western men who found in Thailand someone willing to give them sex in exchange for a better life, so long as the girl is of age, everything is fine. 

Like I said sexpats are a different kind, those who come here blinded by sex, who want to shag a different girl everyday, and often times cheating her to not pay her anything, those who believe they are untouchable here in Thailand, those who do whatever they want often embarrassing us all... I guess you must know what I mean if you've been around Thailand long enough. These are pure scum, and not even their own countries want them.

I don't totally disagree with a lot that you said

And there is a certain type of expat I very much try and avoid

But I've been involved in p4p scene. Most of the guys I know have been, but most got out of the scene and will pay an occasional visit to say a Bangla Rd area

But my question is why do you seem to care, or why do a lot guys on here seem to care so much what these guys get up to

I hate Pattaya, and don't like a lot of fadang that frequent there. Just not my scene.

But I just don't care what goes on there. I don't have the energy to care that much about a place I don't like.

I guess most would say they don't like how sexpats reflect on them.

Again, why do you care? If you are living a life you are happy with, who cares what others do.

You are the best reflection of yourself 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't totally disagree with a lot that you said

And there is a certain type of expat I very much try and avoid

But I've been involved in p4p scene. Most of the guys I know have been, but most got out of the scene and will pay an occasional visit to say a Bangla Rd area

But my question is why do you seem to care, or why do a lot guys on here seem to care so much what these guys get up to

I hate Pattaya, and don't like a lot of fadang that frequent there. Just not my scene.

But I just don't care what goes on there. I don't have the energy to care that much about a place I don't like.

I guess most would say they don't like how sexpats reflect on them.

Again, why do you care? If you are living a life you are happy with, who cares what others do.

You are the best reflection of yourself 

At the moment it affects me, because I am in Thailand.  I can’t stand thinking whenever I deal with a Thai that he thinks I am one of those sexpats both you and I try to avoid. 

I think many Thais think this way and it saddens me. It also saddens me the fact these sexpats take advantage of the situation of poverty of those girls.

7 minutes ago, ctxa said:

At the moment it affects me, because I am in Thailand.  I can’t stand thinking whenever I deal with a Thai that he thinks I am one of those sexpats both you and I try to avoid. 

I think many Thais think this way and it saddens me. It also saddens me the fact these sexpats take advantage of the situation of poverty of those girls.

@ctxa many Thais have paid relationships. I remember a fake gym story where someone Thai was photographed with a sexy girl and a scandal broke out. Obviously more effort was made to hide this activity. 

As for poverty that's a big issue. The poor are exploited all the time - the fishing industry, farming, construction, forced into the military or slavery, and even the sex trade. 

Some women aren't poor but simply want luxury goods (I'm thinking of Japan here, but might be Thailand too, no idea). 

And the middle men - bar owners, hotel owners, reviewers like Stickboy - etc - are part of this trade. Why only blame the customer? 

8 hours ago, bb54 said:

Like the old men with no lives that sit on their behinds, hanging around forums all day whining i guess

Lol correct lol pmsl 

21 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Present better then all those around you in all forms , look clean look fit I promise the Thai will only look up with good thoughts 

plenty farang work and good people 

thai are experts at spotting the different 

they know who is who as I know who is who 

and I’ve been here 7 years not my whole life 

a bum is a bum , the only one who can’t spot it is the bum himself 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

25 minutes ago, ctxa said:

I think you are way too worried what people think 

If you carry yourself in a good manner and behave and are nice

Why would it even cross your mind what people are thinking about you?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

I think you are way too worried what people think 

If you carry yourself in a good manner and behave and are nice

Why would it even cross your mind what people are thinking about you?

Sure, I’ve never had any issues with Thais. 

It’s just I can’t stand the thought that Thais maybe thinking I came here to chase around poor Thai girls. Idk maybe an irrational fear.

15 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Sure, I’ve never had any issues with Thais. 

It’s just I can’t stand the thought that Thais maybe thinking I came here to chase around poor Thai girls. Idk maybe an irrational fear.

Chasing pretty girls is not a crime :-) 

And even poor Thai girls need husbands. 

if you dress and act respectfully, are seen with politely dressed women, have a wife or steady girlfriend, and aren't doing or saying things publicly you wouldn't want a Thai monk to see and hear, what's to worry about? :-) 

9 minutes ago, Vince said:

if you dress and act respectfully, are seen with politely dressed women, have a wife or steady girlfriend, and aren't doing or saying things publicly you wouldn't want a Thai monk to see and hear, what's to worry about? :-) 

It's no use trying to deprogram people so thoroughly brainwashed by western thinking.  I've seen it too many times.  Some guys just can't wrap their heads around the differences.

Edited by samiam123

1 minute ago, Vince said:

Yeah, obviously. But you know what I meant, not the normal man chasing girl thing which is normal to every country and race in the world. I meant typical activities of sexpats.

2 minutes ago, Vince said:

Yes sure, like I said Thais are among the nicest people I’ve dealt with, and never have I had a single issue with neither of them. 

Maybe I’m just paranoid with this matter. 

3 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

It's no use trying to deprogram people so thoroughly brainwashed by western thinking.

Highly doubt it’s western thinking, I left the west as a teenager long time ago when I won a scholarship to study abroad, in China. Finished high school there and went to college there, and lived there for a handful of years too. This is to say, I can barely remember western thinking at all, whenever I speak to or meet my parents they think I’m opposite of western thinking. 

Only very recently came to Thailand for a while. 

Edited by ctxa

5 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Yeah, obviously. But you know what I meant, not the normal man chasing girl thing which is normal to every country and race in the world. I meant typical activities of sexpats.

Yes sure, like I said Thais are among the nicest people I’ve dealt with, and never have I had a single issue with neither of them. 

Maybe I’m just paranoid with this matter. 

Some people just can't handle Thailand.  I've seen some guys literally have a melt down over the culture shock.  Maybe you should go to Mexico instead.

Edited by samiam123
  • Haha 1