News Forum - Popular “sexpat” blogger Stickboy leaves Thailand over dead nightlife, restrictions

Thaiger

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Tulum is probably the most popular destination in Mexico that last decade

Violence has escalated to the point that the army patrols beach rd in machine gun mounted trucks

Extremely popular restaurants have closed instead of paying bribe money to the cartels

Some of the biggest, well known and busy restaurants have been shot up 

And there has been a rash of shootings in hotels the hotel zone in Cancun this year

That is Tulum, on the Yucatan Peninsula? Maybe a different one to the one I visited four years ago, felt completely safe wandering around alone at night. I didn't hit the beaches, but that is not what I was there for, I was there for the scuba diving in the cenotes. The most dangerous thing I remember were the bat-sized mosquitoes that made their presence very painfully felt if you were still in the jungle early evening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

That is Tulum, on the Yucatan Peninsula? Maybe a different one to the one I visited four years ago, felt completely safe wandering around alone at night. I didn't hit the beaches, but that is not what I was there for, I was there for the scuba diving in the cenotes. The most dangerous thing I remember were the bat-sized mosquitoes that made their presence very painfully felt if you were still in the jungle early evening. 

Yes it has quickly deteriorated in the last few years

By the way, my wife and I were there last July and I never felt unsafe

I just know there is a possibility that we could get caught up in a gun fight

If that makes sense

One of the most popular restaurants that is packed every night and very high end in the most popular spot in Tulum was shot up while we were there