News Forum - Mask up! Foreign visitors warned of penalties for violating disease control laws

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, Sensibilia said:

Fine them all and put the money towards healthcare and for the poor.

I just try to imagine if they would do not only at masks in all fields like traffic, etc etc how much money would come to the healthcare and the poor. But thats not how it works in Thailand and it always would go in other pockets. Mostly already before it comes to a fine.

Masking reduces 10% infections over the course of 30 days.  This reduces to practically nothing by the end of 60 days.  Flattening the curve is latin for prolonging this "scamdemic" for as long as humanly possible.

It really should be obvious after all this time,, ok restrictions are being lifted in parts of Europe but Covid numbers are starting to spike again in these areas.. Sorry to say but as Thailand tries to attract tourism it comes at a cost. People are desperate for the money from tourists but the numbers vaccinated are not sufficient as yet to negate the danger.. I fear another Wave and numbers infected increasing soon.. Sad.. 

Edited by Jannot
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Reggie said:

Did you not learn to obey the law in your country. do you think or feel you are above the law. Why is it you think you are entitled to do as you want and not obey the laws of another country. remember you are a guest in Thailand what in the hell makes you think you're above the law.

Why  not ask the vast  majority , you  know the THAIS, they are the ones  breaking ALL their  laws  regularly, from helmets to dropping litter to speeding, no licence bald  tyres,  no seatbelts, mowing down pedestrians  on crossings, no signals, belching diesel fumes of  black sooty smoke inc  govt buses, in Thailand rules are  nothing more than a  game.

Same exactly  applies to  masks, they are up and down like a yoyo, I could  go out today and  take  hundreds  of  photos of demasked Thais, couldnt  do the same with foreigners  though.

I  have no respect for  Thai  laws, simply  because neither do the Thais, neither do the Police its  all  just one  big  farce. So  many  Police I see breaking laws its  incredible, some riding their  bikes with just a peaked  cap  on, wrong side of the road , bald tyres  on Police  motorbikes and the list is  endless

Edited by RampantRabbit
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jannot said:

It really should be obvious after all this time,, ok restrictions are being lifted in parts of Europe but Covid numbers are starting to spike again in these areas.. Sorry to say but as Thailand tries to attract tourism it comes at a cost. People are desperate for the money from tourists but the numbers vaccinated are not sufficient as yet to negate the danger.. I fear another Wave and numbers infected increasing soon.. Sad.. 

Sadly lockdowns and restrictions are a double edged sword. They keep infections and deaths low, but this then comes at a relative cost of low levels of natural protection. With low natural protection and relatively low levels of vaccine induced protection, I fear we will see both cases and deaths increasing in the coming months.  

3 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

Why  not ask the vast  majority , you  know the THAIS, they are the ones  breaking ALL their  laws  regularly, from helmets to dropping litter to speeding, no licence bald  tyres,  no seatbelts, mowing down pedestrians  on crossings, no signals, belching diesel fumes of  black sooty smoke inc  govt buses, in Thailand rules are  nothing more than a  game.

Same exactly  applies to  masks, they are up and down like a yoyo, I could  go out today and  take  hundreds  of  photos of demasked Thais, couldnt  do the same with foreigners  though.

I  have no respect for  Thai  laws, simply  because neither do the Thais, neither do the Police its  all  just one  big  farce. So  many  Ploiuce I see breaking laws its  incredible, some riding their  bikes with just a peaked  cap  on, wrong side of the road etc etc etc

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Like I said, It’s banging the nationalistic drum in preparation for blaming anyone but the government for future problems. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmc said:

Masking reduces 10% infections over the course of 30 days.  This reduces to practically nothing by the end of 60 days.  Flattening the curve is latin for prolonging this "scamdemic" for as long as humanly possible.

Posting claims without credible link/s to support  is meaningless. Below is an example of credible research:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468042720300117

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Like I said, It’s banging the nationalistic drum in preparation for blaming anyone but the government for future problems. 

I cant  have any respect for a  cop who stops me for  no  numberplate when the tyres on his  motorbike are  completely  bald, which happened about 4  months ago , I  took a photo somewhere if  i can find it  Ill  post it.............1000 baht fine, cancelled  by my friend in the forces  here...its nothing more than a game and thats  how I treat it

• Like 2

10 hours ago, whitesnake said:

The brown boys are all fat and unfit! The very meaning of foot patrol is totally alien!

It cant be correct, there were 7 rtp from thonglor station who caught covid while on "foot patrol" in April🤪

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

If your "friends, family  and business associates" aren't prepared to obey the same laws as everyone else here they should stay away.

Permanently.

Whether you or they agree with the laws or not is completely irrelevant, as by coming here they agree to accept the laws here.

If your "friends, family  and business associates" are too selfish to mask up and to show some consideration for others here, and the only way they'll "learn" to do so is "when it hurts in the pocket" then they shouldn't come here.

You do know that paying prostitutes for sexual services is strictly against the law under the 1996 suppression of prostitution act? Maybe you can add the punters to your list of stay aways, permanently, if the sex tourists cannot obey the laws here😁

Edited by Sarisin

26 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Protect yourself and protect others. Wear a masks

In enclosed areas such as shops, trains, buses, hospitals and taxis? I agree. Outside and in a place where you can keep a reasonable distance? No, I think it’s pointless. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

You do know that paying prostitutes for sexual services is strictly against the law under the 1996 suppression of prostitution act? Maybe you can add the punters to your list of stay aways, permanently, if the sex tourists cannot obey the laws here😁

You aren’t paying for sexual services, heaven forbid. It’s purely paying for their lunch for the next week or two as an act of altruism  😉

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Outside and in a place where you can keep a reasonable distance? No, I think it’s pointless. 

I try my best to keep a good social distance, but some always like a shoulder rubbing experience even when the path is bloody wide enough. Some are really oblivious to social distancing which is annoying. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

I try my best to keep a good social distance, but some always like a shoulder rubbing experience even when the path is bloody wide enough. Some are really oblivious to social distancing which is annoying. 

If people do that to me, I cough! That usually has them jumping out of the way 😂😂

• Haha 1

Amazing comments again!! It cheers me up so much early in the morning, what an amusing way to start the day.

Now comment after comment all these ex-pats/retired/I-know-better-thailand-than-you critisising or insulting the governement/PM, and then when these guys imposed the most stupid rule, they all go in line and bend over. Mind you, did not expect anything else.

The thing is, in Thailand or anywhere else, I comply (but not agree) with wearing that thing if there is a crowded concentration of people, indoors mostly obviously, packed transports, does not protect much but ok, even it is for a tiny protection, fine. But in the car? On the bike? On the beach? Well anywhere outdoor that is not an overcrowded street in a city (and even there it is useless anyway)? I do not think so.

Here on a very empty island, I would say about 50% are not wearing the mask outdoors, thais and farangs alike. Cause thais and farangs ( living here) alike think that it is as stupid than useless so it is our decisions based on common sense. Clearly it has 0 impact on the transmission of sars-cov-2 (or any other virus or nasty bacteria...yeah people, there are still plenty of others out there that were there before covid but that obviously not interest anybody... it is not sars-cov2, right?) on the island where WE live, we are still being sensible, no need to enforce a stupid rule/law to be sensible human beings (well it usually does the opposite unless you have a gun on your head).

We get some BKK tourists, fully masked at all time even alone in their cars. A couple of days ago, I saw a couple walking on a complete empty beach with their mask on instead of breathing the fresh sea air. They even took a selfie...with the mask on (true story). If anyone here can come up with a single scientific fact that this action is not harming these two while offering protection of any sort (well you cannot catch a virus if there isn't anyone there), please yourself. Obviously there is none so we can all agree that it is stupid and useless and even harmful. Well I am a farang in Thailand that will not follow that stupid rule when I feel it is useless and stupid, nor I will do anywhere in the world, and even less in my own country. End of!

5 minutes ago, Manu said:

Well I am a farang in Thailand that will not follow that stupid rule when I feel it is useless and stupid, nor I will do anywhere in the world, and even less in my own country. End of!

I was with you all the way on your comments, until the last one. I’m afraid rules and laws are made by the rule and law makers. If you don’t like the rules and laws, then change the people who make them. As a visitor to a country you have no say who they are and hence have no choice but to comply, even with the ones you disagree with. It’s how democracy and civilised society operates I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

What a bunch of nonsense this thread contains!

To those outside of Thailand I say 'it is none of your business'.

And to those foreigners inside Thailand 'do as you like and let immigration put you on the next plane outta here'.

For the rest of us we will be polite  and respect the law.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I was with you all the way on your comments, until the last one. I’m afraid rules and laws are made by the rule and law makers. If you don’t like the rules and laws, then change the people who make them. As a visitor to a country you have no say who they are and hence have no choice but to comply, even with the ones you disagree with. It’s how democracy and civilised society operates I'm afraid. 

Yes but no. I stick to my statement. Let's say to support my Thai brothers and sisters if that makes you happy.

You do not have necessary to change the people who make the rules, if everyone do not comply to a stupid rule then it is impossble to enforce it.

Finally please Soidog keep that comment for the same ex-pats I mentioned in my previous comment, they are constantly breaking the highest law in this country by critisising or insulting the monarchy comment after comment. No offense mate, I respect your opinion.

Personnel choice what a concept!

Until you go head to head with the society you live in. Then reality sets in and you have to decide whether you want to accept the consequences that society throws at you. 

So you 'takes your choice'.

3 hours ago, kmc said:

Really? Care to support that false information with evidence?

Here you can read some numbers from a publication in the British Medical Journal:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20211118/mask-wearing-cuts-new-covid-cases-study

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Manu said:

Yes but no. I stick to my statement. Let's say to support my Thai brothers and sisters if that makes you happy.

You do not have necessary to change the people who make the rules, if everyone do not comply to a stupid rule then it is impossble to enforce it.

Finally please Soidog keep that comment for the same ex-pats I mentioned in my previous comment, they are constantly breaking the highest law in this country by critisising or insulting the monarchy comment after comment. No offense mate, I respect your opinion.

Hi @Manu. I wasn’t looking to have a go or anything. Rereading my post it could look that way but not intended. I was just stating that laws are made and people should abide by the law, not make it up as they see fit. I think the law of wearing a mask on an open beach is utterly crazy, but if it stopped me getting a fine id wear one, or not go on the beach. I’m not prepared to part with 6,000 baht for the sake of wearing a piece of cloth on my face. I normally wear PM2.5 face mask when I’m riding a bike in Thailand as far too much vehicle smoke or smog, so I guess I’m more accepting of face mask. 

Anyway, no worries and apologies if it read like I was having a go. It was unintended 👍🏻

• Like 5