News Forum - Mask up! Foreign visitors warned of penalties for violating disease control laws

Thaiger

Jesus, calm down everyone, they are just explaining the rules for people who are not from here. So now they will be clear for them too.😂

No one is being 'targeted' and Thai people will get in as much trouble for not wearing a mask too. But they already know the rules. They say foreigners specifically, because they don't know every single rule here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

Errrrrr??!! EXCUSE ME...WHAT ABOUT ALL THE THAIS ONE SEES DROPPING THE FACE DIAPER TO MAKE A NECKERCHIEF!

No need to shout!

We all clearly have different experience, but what percentage of Thais do you see not wearing masks or not wearing them properly?

... and what percentage of farangs?

In my case, it's zero percent of Thais, who I see rather a lot of, and at least 25% of the farangs, although I see very few.

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

Maybe the “infection rates in Asia “would be more like Europe if they carried out the same amount of testing. Less testing, less cases. Population of Thailand similar to the U.K.  The U.K. carries out between 800,000 and 1 million tests a day. How many do Thailand carry out? Between February 2020 and October 2021 there was 726,007 tests. So less in 20 month than the U.K. carries out in one day. That probably sums up why cases are low. Surely not. The Thais are honest 

Not that old chestnut again. It's been done to death. 

I specifically mentioned Asia and not TH. The key factor is not testing, but avoiding behaviour that is likely to put people at risk. The more risks people take, the more likely they will require testing. Asia has maintained most of the safeguards, while Europe has abandoned most of them. 

I don't disagree the more you test, the more cases you will find, but do you seriously think the reason Europe has a 21X factor is all down to testing, and if they tested as frequently as say the UK, Asia would find 21X more cases?

And if you want to compare TH with the UK, I take it you are aware TH quite pro-active in border screening and detected  and isolated several thousand suspected cases at the border? During the meantime, the UK, with a long history of plagues arriving from foreign lands and no land borders other than with S. Ireland, did not introduce border controls until July 2020 by which time there were 285K infections and 40K deaths. At the same time, TH was reporting 3k domestic cases and 60 deaths. Do you think (a), the different attitude in dealing with the borders may account for some of the difference, and (b), the due to it's failure to follow suit, the UK need to do masses more testing? Are you aware 97.5% of tests carried out in the UK were negative? 

Take a look at Malaysia and PI. The former carried out 5X the number of tests, but only produced twice the death toll of the latter. But then you have to factor in that PI is an Island group so that may not necessarily mean testing made the difference.

Or there is Japan, who probably have the finest public health care system in the world. They carried out about the same level of testing per capita as TH, but have only half the number of cases and deaths as TH. 

I have no doubt in my mind the reason for the 21X factor is largely due to the different behaviours and restrictions on each continent. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, yetanother said:

"“Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted.”"

how very miltitary of you;

welcome to penalties, have a nice time and come back soon (we need your money) 

I really don't understand this attitude. Whether or not it is enforced equally or not, and I note you have not made that point, if you break the law, you face penalties.

28 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Um, I would be careful on saying especially Americans unless you can really back that up. Some parts of the EU are divided as the same as the USA. I was at Central Festival CM Christmas shopping and in a popular skate shoe store there yesterday. Then suddenly along comes a 30 year old big sized tall kid with his mother and he was looking at buying shoes. The a-hole had his mask hanging on his ear. My guess is they were German or Bavarian or something. Luckily we were finished and we got out of there fast. In that mall yesterday there seemed to be a bunch of those same decent of people maybe in a tour or something brought to that mall. And yes there was another one that did not have his mask over his nose. All thai we were around and saw had their masks on. And I mean all including this American here!

Let's face it, there are plenty of traits from many nations we might look down upon. Look at the English. How many times have I seen a fight in Pattaya that has not involved them? Rarely! Germans hog all the poolside seats. I've seen a number of Serbs wearing T-shirts glorifying Hitler. I know of several incidents where Israeli behaviour has been over-aggressive, and finding someone to say a good word about Indians is about as rare as rocking horse manure. 

Most of us have seen it at one time or another. There is a simple cure for it. Remember you are a guest in someone else's country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Welcome to the forum @Tim_Melb. I agree with the sentiment of following the rules when a guest in someone else’s country, but the “especially Americans” line? That’s not cool. I don’t think it’s fair to single out Americans.

I'm just making an observation from personal experience. Unfortunately I have found that the majority US expats and even more so tourists have a preoccupation with their "Rights under US law" and don't seem to understand that they "ain't in Kansas anymore" this seems to breed an attitude of non-compliance to laws in other countries. You are right that it's not all Americans and I have seen similar attitudes among Europeans and Australians but it is a very common issue with Americans. Especially because wearing masks has been made some sort of political issue in the States when it's not a political issue it's a saving lives issue. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

I'm just making an observation from personal experience. Unfortunately I have found that the majority US expats and even more so tourists have a preoccupation with their "Rights under US law" and don't seem to understand that they "ain't in Kansas anymore" this seems to breed an attitude of non-compliance to laws in other countries. You are right that it's not all Americans and I have seen similar attitudes among Europeans and Australians but it is a very common issue with Americans. Especially because wearing masks has been made some sort of political issue in the States when it's not a political issue it's a saving lives issue. 

Fair enough if that’s your observation. Where I am, I’d say 80% of the local expat community is either Russian, Brazilian or American, with a negligible “sprinkling” of other nationalities. Of the three main groups, the Americans are far and away the most respectful of  mask etiquette, hand sanitizing etc. if you switch on CNN, you get a different view, of course.

That’s my personal experience, but everyone is different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

I don't know about that. I always thought that the guest followed the hosts rules, or would be asked to leave. And if it's a question of the host disrespecting you, why would you want to stay?

I recall walking around Notre Dame Cathedral one Sunday morning, and seeing two groups of American Women who were also doing the sight-seeing bit during the middle of a service. Suddenly one woman recognised another in the other group, and she did that thing that I've seen other American women do when they see a friend for the first time in a while. She let out a whoop. Immediately several of the congregation  "shooshed" her. He response was to express outrage at this admonishment and after questioning "how dare they", she went into a rant about how grateful the French should be that she was in their country spending US dollars. You could see her friends cringing, but I guess she felt disrespected by the French.

I think many of us must come from countries where racism is prevalent, but how many of us will just let it slide rather than call it out? And yet some of us are surprised when we visit other countries and even if we don't misbehave, we are not treated equally?

You got something against Americans, eh?

2 hours ago, Reggie said:

Dear Foreigner,

Did you not learn to obey the law in your country. do you think or feel you are above the law. Why is it you think you are entitled to do as you want and not obey the laws of another country. remember you are a guest in Thailand what in the hell makes you think you're above the law. Wear the mask. I'm going to Thailand in Feb.  I wear my mask faithfully here in US and will wear it even more so there.  Even here the dirty filthy falang protesting, crying and complaining about something so small and life sustaining. Wear Your Mask or STAY OFF THE STREET!

Absolutely, because all these farangs who lives in Thailand forever don't give a damn due to the fact that they are not going or flying anywhere outside of Thailand unlike us.

3 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Your post looks like you are saying that they should be punished for being cautious, but we can see what lack of caution is doing  in Europe. 

Explain Florida.  No mask mandate and although some still choose to wear one in my visits masks have been few and far between.  

https://mcusercontent.com/77713d21ff56f1c126607d2c5/images/3dbbd18f-04ce-b0b8-d669-131b592117f8.jpeg

Oh, and while your at it, please explain Africa 

Edited by MrNovax
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reggie said:

Dear Foreigner,

Did you not learn to obey the law in your country. do you think or feel you are above the law. Why is it you think you are entitled to do as you want and not obey the laws of another country. remember you are a guest in Thailand what in the hell makes you think you're above the law. Wear the mask. I'm going to Thailand in Feb.  I wear my mask faithfully here in US and will wear it even more so there.  Even here the dirty filthy falang protesting, crying and complaining about something so small and life sustaining. Wear Your Mask or STAY OFF THE STREET!

Omg you will be shocked to see so many Thais without a mask what you will tell them? Another absurd comentator who has no glue about realities and is thinking if he reads tat numbers or another clownerie this must be the reality.  People who living in Thailand are aware and have eyes . You sitting in the usa and think to know anything about Thailand because you read something of any nonsense anouncements and thinking this must be true. And talking about laws and rules as the people here are aware about he give nothing on rules or laws. Better not come to Thailand or drive a car in Thailand no one cares about rules or laws. You will be shocked that not on all motorbike or car is a foreigner and could be a delusional shock for you. It is amazing how people from outside Thailand thinks about Thailand. Like some posters/clowns who writing the Thais not like to enjoy , live music and drinking beer this the foreigners have to accept and it is a western drinking culture. For the people living here ,Thais and foreigners, are aware it is absolute nonsense what some posters are writing and they defintly not know anything about realities in Thailand neither about Thai culture or about Thais. Be aware in this forum are also Thais and Expats/foreigner who live in Thailand. And as in every country you have the ones wear the mask and some not. But I not see (foreigner or Thai) anybody in a supermarket, shopping mall etc without a mask. But we saw ministers sitting without mask.

14 minutes ago, Maxlou said:

You got something against Americans, eh?

Yes! She was really a Martian, but I thought it would be a good idea to blame the Yanks instead.

Seriously though: Why would my identifying her nationality suggest some sort of bias? If I had said she was Canadian, would you have asked the same question? What does your question say about you? Nationalism does not thrive well on this forum in my experience.

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Rules without enforcement don't work.

Make no rules, or make them and enforce them.

But you know the realities in Thailand and laws or enforcement. And you know at whom they enforce them more and why they come up with this foreigner thing. And you are aware the mask thing is nothing specific about foreigners. The mask thing is the same thing like the helmet thing and I am sure you know that, too. I don't know yet or we all don't know yet how the situation will be when the tourists are back and their behaviour but its too early to talk about it. 

Reminds me of the cop  who stopped a car for speeding 

But officer everyone else was too!

The point is the same in this context !

Just because one  gets away with it (not wearing a mask)doesn’t mean you should do it

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

Explain Florida.  No mask mandate and although some still choose to wear one in my visits masks have been few and far between.  

https://mcusercontent.com/77713d21ff56f1c126607d2c5/images/3dbbd18f-04ce-b0b8-d669-131b592117f8.jpeg

Oh, and while your at it, please explain Africa 

What is it you are asking me to explain? This looks like a totally irrelevant non-sequitur.

My post was questioning why someone thinks TH should be punished for retaining what TH considers to be necessary public health measures. I have not yet seen anyone saying that we should punish FL or Africa for what they have or haven't done in those circumstances.

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Contrary to the previous posters, I welcome the move. Seeing the number of people ignoring the rules and the fact that Covid isn't under control, it was incomprehensible that things weren't enforced. 

I can understand it's not what you want in your holiday, but you knew that before you booked!

Now just hoping it's not just more rhetoric without action.

That's fair enough Bob you know the rule's but its not just " Foreigners" Bob it must be enforced for locals too.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, riclag said:

Reminds me of the cop  who stopped a car for speeding 

But officer everyone else was too!

The point is the same in this context !

Just because one  gets away with it (not wearing a mask)doesn’t mean you should do it

Good point. Nowadays, we call it "whataboutery". The question that the whatabouter usually trips up on is, "Do two wrongs make a right"?

23 minutes ago, Stardust said:

But you know the realities in Thailand and laws or enforcement. And you know at whom they enforce them more and why they come up with this foreigner thing. And you are aware the mask thing is nothing specific about foreigners. The mask thing is the same thing like the helmet thing and I am sure you know that, too. I don't know yet or we all don't know yet how the situation will be when the tourists are back and their behaviour but its too early to talk about it. 

12 minutes ago, vlad said:

That's fair enough Bob you know the rule's but its not just " Foreigners" Bob it must be enforced for locals too.

Maybe you both didn't see my earlier comment?

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/8369-news-forum-mask-up-foreign-visitors-warned-of-penalties-for-violating-disease-control-laws/?do=findComment&comment=110572

👍

At the end of the day its there rule's were not in our own Country so stop moaning and obey the rules the Thais have in place people who are coming for the first time will or should be aware of there rules for the Yanks coming forget your right of amendment it doesn't work in Thailand.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vlad said:

Exactly it is not only about the masks and the reality in Thailand. Just take the rules for driving etc. This posters talking about things as they talking about another country and it seams outside of the Thai society often because they not understand Thai. Thats why they often jump on any horse that Thais or people live here or have a Thai family not do and aware what is going on and the reality. All are aware about the games, hypocracy, corruption etc thats why they not jump on every horse mostly people from outside of Thailand do that and it is amazing how foreigners/farangs talk about the farangs in Thailand and maybe forget to look in the mirror. They even want in forums explain the people with Thaipassports Thailand. Fact is the reality is different and how it would be when the tourists are back we will see then and fact is there is nobody in supermarkets, markets, malls hospital running without masks and outside I cannot see it is a specific thing of foreigners it is just a horse people jump on it who not aware about how the use or reality of many anouncements you can read is in Thailand.

37 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I am with you and agree but some jump on that foreigner horse or think law or enforcement is a thing like in their homecountries. I didn't see that comment but I was thinking for sure you are aware of that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

You are right that it's not all Americans and I have seen similar attitudes among EPiss taking uropeans and Australians but it is a very common issue with Americans. Especially because wearing masks has been made some sort of political issue in the States when it's not a political issue it's a saving lives issue. 

Piss takes are such fun.

Yet when PM Anutin made his remark heard round the Kingdom, he was making it to a couple Euro tourists, not Americans, who had refused his mask handout people. As for your piss take, and what fun that, the low percentage of Americans in little drivel of tourists expats arriving, returning,  make it a moot point.

That said, It seems the powers that be, really do not want a reopening of Thailand. So the construction of "polls" & dissemination to the public indicating Thais really do not want, or fear, a reopening. The non masking and partying westerners, more of the same. A doubling down in the narrative flip Anutin & Gov have worked so hard to promote. The fact that westerners are not the cause of, nor never did, drive Thailand's initial outbreak or current surge, is something the government has worked hard to overcome. That work continues.  

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Yes, and some of us don't live in Pattaya and assume that's how the rest of Thailand is!

Yes many have condo for weekends or holidays in Pattaya or Hua Hin that doesn't mean they live there! By the way also have often land in the coutryside or Isaan but not live there! Thats why friday there is a lot of traffic. I guess everybody who have family here or live long time in Thailand is aware about Thailand especially from Bangkok where many have relatives or  family in Isaan, too and visit them.