News Forum - The best methods for learning the Thai language

Thaiger

I think if you are visiting on holiday without any particular plans to return, then learning the language is almost pointless. If however, you plan to stay in a country and put down roots, then you are doing yourself a big favour to learn at least some basic phrases. Over the years I’ve got to the point where I can get by with speaking and reading Thai and found it useful on many occasions. I’m hardly fluent but it’s enough for the person I’m talking to to know I’m no two week tourist. 

However, being a native English speaker, I do hear a certain degree of “snobbery” by people who speak one or more other languages. It’s almost as if they perceive it elevates them as humans to another level. As English speakers we also tend to put ourselves down by not speaking Thai, and I hear people say how many Thais can speak some English. Don’t forget, Thais are bombarded from birth with sounds and images of the English language. Before coming to Thailand, how many times did you even see the a Thai word on TV or on an a sign? The English language can been heard and seen everywhere in Thailand and so it’s far easier for a Thai to learn the alphabet and key words from a young age.  

The proliferation of the English language is a major reason why most English speaking people don’t learn other languages, they simply don’t need to. So don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t speak Thai and have lived there for 5 or more years. My advice is learn the numbers and colours. Learn how to say thank you and excuse me and of critical importance, learn how to ask “how much” !! 

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Which country speaks Thai? And I never said I dont speak Thai, you are just assuming everything

I'm just reacting to you wondering why people should learn Thai. If someone literally says: Why bother learning Thai, while hanging out on the Thaiger, people could respond this way. 

Of course you don't need Thai if you are in America, Brazil or France or whatever. But this is the Thaiger. So unless you have something with Thailand, it's a bit weird to be here and say such things. 😂

36 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I remember having an online convo with a Dutch guy, and asking him why the Dutch were so gifted as linguists. He explained to me that in order to graduate from school, they had to be fluent in two foreign languages. Most chose English and Spanish as these were the most widely spoken languages. He added, "But we need to learn languages because who  the f*** speaks Dutch".

To be precise, in The Netherlands, people learn Dutch and English from primary school on. In middle school it'll be about 2 years of Frech and German. After that you can drop them if you want. 

At least, when I was still in school. Not sure about the current situation. 

About Dutch... Not sure if he knows his own history, but quite a few countries speak Dutch or the language borrowed many Dutch words. To name a few, around the Caribbean, Suriname, South Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia, Belgium (which language is just Dutch with some accent) and not quite the same but in the North of Europe they have their own language which is very easy to learn for Dutch people. 

So it's not a complete waste of time to know Dutch😂

3 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

To be precise, in The Netherlands, people learn Dutch and English from primary school on. In middle school it'll be about 2 years of Frech and German. After that you can drop them if you want. 

At least, when I was still in school. Not sure about the current situation. 

About Dutch... Not sure if he knows his own history, but quite a few countries speak Dutch or the language borrowed many Dutch words. To name a few, around the Caribbean, Suriname, South Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia, Belgium (which language is just Dutch with some accent) and not quite the same but in the North of Europe they have their own language which is very easy to learn for Dutch people. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not mocking the Dutch. I have masses of goodwill towards them and think like the Irish, they show great tolerance towards others as well as being amongst the most laid back people on the planet.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

As long as you don't pay language tax ;-) (leuker kunnen we het niet maken).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not mocking the Dutch. I have masses of goodwill towards them and think like the Irish, they show great tolerance towards others as well as being amongst the most laid back people on the planet.

Oh I didn't think that you were mocking them😁 just adding some information for ones who care haha😂

• Thanks 1

Sorry to be realistic, but from my personal experiences over the past 10 years of visiting Bangkok…money is the only effective language and motivational speech to communicate with these people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Sivada said:

Sorry to be realistic, but from my personal experiences over the past 10 years of visiting Bangkok…money is the only effective language and motivational speech to communicate with these people. 

Quite agree old chap 

Wave 100 baht in their faces & shout at them.

They'll soon realise that they are in the company of a superior race.

*For the deaf & hard of lurning, this post contains nuts*

17 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Quite agree old chap 

Wave 100 baht in their faces & shout at them.

They'll soon realise that they are in the company of a superior race.

*For the deaf & hard of lurning, this post contains nuts*

Another quickie I a reminded of: How do the English deal with a language barrier? They should louder.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Dr.Sivada said:

Anyway back on track - the english are notoriously multi-lingual deficient as it's the global language and therefore promotes laziness. The Americans can't even be handed a language on a plate (english) without bastardising it so have no chance !

I think a good enough reason to learn thai is how many times have you been invited somewhere, only to find you're the only westerner there and sit there like a grinning plum with no clue why everyone else is having a good time ? It's a very long night when that happens !

• Haha 1

This thread started as "how to learn Thai " and many comments are are why learn Thai.

I used books , tapes, classes at the local Wat on Sundays, and many trips around the country over the years. All I can say is that learning the language to a moderate conversational level (not 100%  fluent) is very beneficial and certainly enhances one's interactions and experiences when traveling there. There are regional dialects as well as Lao , so if they want to talk about you they  still can. I think the best method is immersion, by hearing and using the language everyday , it becomes more facile. Good luck and keep trying.

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

No, I mean you ignored the French part!

Ooh yeah, wait, I mixed up the names there😂

The Flemish people I am talking about😉 The Walloons... Maybe they speak French with an accent??? 

Just now, DiJoDavO said:

Ooh yeah, wait, I mixed up the names there😂

The Flemish people I am talking about😉 The Walloons... Maybe they speak French with an accent??? 

You'll start another war if you only mention Dutch being spoken in Belgium and inadvertently accuse the French part to speak with a Dutch accent 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

In fairness to Thais, I've often seen posts bemoaning their lack of education. Yet I'm amazed at how many girls from Isaan who left school at 12 or 13, can speak a decent level of English.

With regard to English speakers in particular, I remember someone saying to me, "If a man speaks many languages, he's multi-lingual. If a man speaks two languages, he's bi-lingual. If a man speaks one language, he's English or French. If he speaks half a language, he's American".

And what about the Scotts? 

• Haha 1

Well one of the best ways might be to shack up with a few different Thai gals and trying to speak and learn with them. Paid for already and you get to hear it from different people. 

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

The proliferation of the English language is a major reason why most English speaking people don’t learn other languages, they simply don’t need to. So don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t speak Thai and have lived there for 5 or more years. My advice is learn the numbers and colours. Learn how to say thank you and excuse me and of critical importance, learn how to ask “how much” !! 

Dont forget "Check Bin"

18 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

In fairness to Thais, I've often seen posts bemoaning their lack of education. Yet I'm amazed at how many girls from Isaan who left school at 12 or 13, can speak a decent level of English.

With regard to English speakers in particular, I remember someone saying to me, "If a man speaks many languages, he's multi-lingual. If a man speaks two languages, he's bi-lingual. If a man speaks one language, he's English or French. If he speaks half a language, he's American".

Had a Brit boast to me a few years back that they invented the English language, my reply being American is we refined it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I fail to see how when living here for any length of time you dont learn some Thai, I guess some people are just not interested.

2 guys I know have lived for 18 years have Thai daughters and what they know you can put on the back of a postage stamp 

I am Australian, we have our own version of English 😜

(Strine - describes a broad accent of Australian English. The term is a syncope, derived from a shortened phonetic rendition of the pronunciation of the word "Australian" in an exaggerated Broad Australian accent, drawing upon the tendency of this accent to run syllables together).

So full respect to all who can speak English properly and more to those who can speak another language as well or anyone who can speak multiple languages. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I fail to see how when living here for any length of time you dont learn some Thai, I guess some people are just not interested.

2 guys I know have lived for 18 years have Thai daughters and what they know you can put on the back of a postage stamp 

Can be quite a lot 🤭

stamp_mosaic.jpg