News Forum - The best methods for learning the Thai language

Thaiger

If you are planning to stay in Thailand, then learning Thai may be a good idea as it can be handy and help you survive long-term. Different methods of learning Thai can offer different benefits, and it really depends on what method is convenient depending on your needs. Learning at a Thai language school Note: Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, learning at a Thai language school is not available at the moment. Attending a Thai language school may be for you if you have the time to go and the money. At school, you will get to study with […]

The story The best methods for learning the Thai language as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thanks Ann for a summary of the best ways to learn. I really think it's worthwhile learning basic phrases, especially for tourists coming to Thailand. In my several trips to Thailand, I have always found that learning the basic things is received really well by local Thais. So many Thais have learned a few words, or on many occasions, lots of words and phrases in my language. I think it's incumbent on me to do the same. It's the ultimate sign of respect by a foreigner to the local people to speak words in their language.

Thais, like Italians, are happy to hear any attempt to speak their language. The French on the other hand, don't  mind what you do...as long as you pronounce it correctly!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been on the applicants list for 2.5 years at AUA, but even well before Covid they didn't manage to get enough students to start classes. I've started to learn with tutoring book and DVD but it's not the same.

Had a chat at a few places that still do courses. They are mostly there for visa purposes and was told they cancel most lessons as few are interested in learning but just want the visa... Seems there isn't much you can do but wait.

Why bother to learn Thai? nowhere in the world speaks it apart from Thailand, Dont tell me Thai restaurants the last one I went to in Dubai all the staff were Philippine's and another one I went to in England they were all Vietnamese,  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thanks Ann for a summary of the best ways to learn. I really think it's worthwhile learning basic phrases, especially for tourists coming to Thailand. In my several trips to Thailand, I have always found that learning the basic things is received really well by local Thais. So many Thais have learned a few words, or on many occasions, lots of words and phrases in my language. I think it's incumbent on me to do the same. It's the ultimate sign of respect by a foreigner to the local people to speak words in their language.

Thais, like Italians, are happy to hear any attempt to speak their language. The French on the other hand, don't  mind what you do...as long as you pronounce it correctly!!!

Where did you get that from? Thai's are happy you learn their lingo, no they are not they dont like it they cant gossip about you, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a thought on learning foreign languages.

There is a form of English consisting of about 400 words, known as "Air Traffic Control English", which has been approved by the UN. It's purpose is to have a single language spoken by Pilots and Controllers, so that when say a Bulgarian pilot is flying to Brazil, communications are standardised and planes being landed are not crashing into each other. 

I've tried to find this Lexicon, but have never been able to do so. It occurs to me that if the language is good enough to enable two foreigners without a common language to do something as complex as land a 747 in a foreign country, then one possible short cut to learning the basics of a language would be to learn the same words on the ATC list in say, Thai, French, German etc.

And if you can do something as complex as take instructions to land a Jumbo Jet, surely life's simpler problems such as, "How much are Ladydrinks in this bar"? must be a doddle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Why bother to learn Thai? nowhere in the world speaks it apart from Thailand, Dont tell me Thai restaurants the last one I went to in Dubai all the staff were Philippine's and another one I went to in England they were all Vietnamese,  

But what if you decide to move or travel to a country where they speak it. Do you expect everyone to just change their language to English? Just for you? 

Some people come here and get angry like: whY cAnT tHeY sPEAk EngLiSH!!? Well, maybe because that's not the language here. 

At least learn some things, or else, what are you even doing here😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Likewise, I've been into various Japanese restos in TH, but have yet to meet any Thai staff that could speak the language.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

But what if you decide to move or travel to a country where they speak it. Do you expect everyone to just change their language to English? Just for you? 

Some people come here and get angry like: whY cAnT tHeY sPEAk EngLiSH!!? Well, maybe because that's not the language here. 

Which country speaks Thai? And I never said I dont speak Thai, you are just assuming everything

6 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Just a thought on learning foreign languages.

There is a form of English consisting of about 400 words, known as "Air Traffic Control English", which has been approved by the UN. It's purpose is to have a single language spoken by Pilots and Controllers, so that when say a Bulgarian pilot is flying to Brazil, communications are standardised and planes being landed are not crashing into each other. 

I've tried to find this Lexicon, but have never been able to do so. It occurs to me that if the language is good enough to enable two foreigners without a common language to do something as complex as land a 747 in a foreign country, then one possible short cut to learning the basics of a language would be to learn the same words on the ATC list in say, Thai, French, German etc.

And if you can do something as complex as take instructions to land a Jumbo Jet, surely life's simpler problems such as, "How much are Ladydrinks in this bar"? must be a doddle?

Why did this post remind me of Quagmire the pilot - wife laughed at his Thai.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Likewise, I've been into various Japanese restos in TH, but have yet to meet any Thai staff that could speak the language.

Actually I do know a few Thai's who do speak Japanese they were mainly in Bangkok, the first girl I met in Thailand many moons ago spoke Yipun fluently and English

16 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

That is silly - you would not learn Thai if you want to live in Mongolia... 

You would learn Thai if you are interested in the unique nature of the people and culture and want to live in Thailand. I love that I can talk with near everyone as Thai people are mostly light-hearted and fun loving and have a different outlook on life... I have learned a lot over the years. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

In fairness to Thais, I've often seen posts bemoaning their lack of education. Yet I'm amazed at how many girls from Isaan who left school at 12 or 13, can speak a decent level of English.

With regard to English speakers in particular, I remember someone saying to me, "If a man speaks many languages, he's multi-lingual. If a man speaks two languages, he's bi-lingual. If a man speaks one language, he's English or French. If he speaks half a language, he's American".

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, uncle said:

That is silly - you would not learn Thai if you want to live in Mongolia... 

You would learn Thai if you are interested in the unique nature of the people and culture and want to live in Thailand. I love that I can talk with near everyone as Thai people are mostly light-hearted and fun loving and have a different outlook on life... I have learned a lot over the years. 

Good for you

21 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I tend to agree with that, in terms of becoming fluent in the language.  What I have done is to learn some useful phrases and words and I get by quite well with that. If I need a better facility to deal with others, say suppliers, I ask Thai friends or g/f to help, which they are always very happy to do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Actually I do know a few Thai's who do speak Japanese they were mainly in Bangkok, the first girl I met in Thailand many moons ago spoke Yipun fluently and English

I do know several who speak Japanese. They don't work in restos, but girly bars that cater to Japanese

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Dont ask problem solved 

As they say, "If you need to know the price you couldn't really afford it to begin with" (hahaha).

2 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I tend to agree with that, in terms of becoming fluent in the language.  What I have done is to learn some useful phrases and words and I get by quite well with that. If I need a better facility to deal with others, say suppliers, I ask Thai friends or g/f to help, which they are always very happy to do. 

My misses speaks almost perfect English infact if you spoke to her on the phone you would not know she is Thai, the one way to learn years ago I did used to work here in construction and I would write down 5 words a day mostly to do with the job, then you start to add bit's to it, then they start speaking Essan just so you couldn't understand what they were saying

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

As they say, "If you need to know the police you couldn't really afford it to begin with (hahaha).

Price or Police?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I read this and had to look out the window to make sure the Singularity hadn't arrived. Of course it's spoken in Thailand and people who are in Thailand - regardless of national origin - should learn at least some. This is like saying "Why learn Chinese as its only spoken in China". Jeez.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I read this and had to look out the window to make sure the Singularity hadn't arrived. Of course it's spoken in Thailand and people who are in Thailand - regardless of national origin - should learn at least some. This is like saying "Why learn Chinese as its only spoken in China". Jeez.

I remember having an online convo with a Dutch guy, and asking him why the Dutch were so gifted as linguists. He explained to me that in order to graduate from school, they had to be fluent in two foreign languages. Most chose English and Spanish as these were the most widely spoken languages. He added, "But we need to learn languages because who  the f*** speaks Dutch".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Where did you get that from? Thai's are happy you learn their lingo, no they are not they dont like it they cant gossip about you, 

Where did I get what from? Lowseasonlover, you are quite right :D It is a bit disconcerting for native peoples to hear foreigners speaking their language....they are left to ponder whether we understand everything they are saying. We don't understand...but they don't know that.... In my work I sometimes meet chinese people. They talk to each other in Mandarin or Cantonese thinking I have no idea what they are saying...I don't. But at the end of the meeting, I say "Thank you" in Mandarin or Cantonese and they are left wondering ...Did he just understand everything we just talked about?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I remember having an online convo with a Dutch guy, and asking him why the Dutch were so gifted as linguists. He explained to me that in order to graduate from school, they had to be fluent in two foreign languages. Most chose English and Spanish as these were the most widely spoken languages. He added, "But we need to learn languages because who  the f*** speaks Dutch".

You are sooo right about this. And of course not only the Dutch. So many europeans have two or three languages for just that reason!

• Like 1