News Forum - Thai PM warns bars, nightlife not to open, defends ongoing closure order

Thaiger

42 minutes ago, Shark said:

Sorry, but are you really talking about Thai Government?

I was being facetious but the truth is that the same applies to all governments. It has been said that a camel was a race horse designed by government consensus.  The same is true of the handling of the covid pandemic.  Those least qualified to be in charge of directing the response are those that are elected and have zero expertise in handling the pandemic. 

I quote Nobel Prize laureate for economics Milton Friedman: 

image.png.5db5c60b866557a5c7e84735dc8b45a4.png

Edited by longwood50
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Pete424 said:

Still having a pop I see.....

So why are the government considering ATK test no go for all vaccinated tourists in December? Let me explain economics to you, less tourists....less money....no 1 million extremely rich tourists visiting for 2 weeks is not going spend the same amount of money as 3 .6 million tourists EVERY month.

You are getting sucked into the "We want quality tourists" propoganda, since when does Bangkok have pavemnets they can walk on hand in hand without bumping into trees...people...carts...fall in holes...stangled by electricity cables...smellly drains...or maybe they going to go to Pattaya where the sea meets Sukhumvit every time there is a storm.

Now national pride....is that Jim Thompson logo for scarfs? cos the Thailand isn't all temples and waterfalls, as you've been told before, you really need to get out and see the real Thailand.....

Where is this national pride residing? ... Red Bull heir hiding out.....Joe Ferrari.....Your exposure to the real world is severly lacking...

This guy really holds Thailand in high regard....

So what youre saying is....this country is good enough to take an after-grog-bog onto but not much else....

Lets agree to disagree. 

12 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

This guy really holds Thailand in high regard....

So what youre saying is....this country is good enough to take an after-grog-bog onto but not much else....

Lets agree to disagree. 

I do hold Thailand in high regard, I live there, unlike you I open my eyes as I go along the street.

As you are such an expert in Thai culture and defending it to the hilt, please explain the phrase "Mia Noi", if you don't know ask your "Hi-So" friends.....but wait....ask the males, they will explain it to you, the females will get all embarrassed and ask you "Why", Only the rich ones though, poor people despise Mia Noi.

When you finally get to understand what life is really like in Thailand instead of living in your little bubble, maybe you will understand reality.

ps

I'm not into the grog-bog, I don't drink that much nowadays, but unlike you I don't hate? ....despise?......get angry?.....feel betrayed by bargirls?.....like you?

Live and let live....isn't that the Thai way?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Pete424 said:

I do hold Thailand in high regard, I live there, unlike you I open my eyes as I go along the street.

As you are such an expert in Thai culture and defending it to the hilt, please explain the phrase "Mia Noi", if you don't know ask your "Hi-So" friends.....but wait....ask the males, they will explain it to you, the females will get all embarrassed and ask you "Why", Only the rich ones though, poor people despise Mia Noi.

When you finally get to understand what life is really like in Thailand instead of living in your little bubble, maybe you will understand reality.

ps

I'm not into the grog-bog, I don't drink that much nowadays, but unlike you I don't hate? ....despise?......get angry?.....feel betrayed by bargirls?.....like you?

Exactly he doesn't know about Thai culture that is very clear when you read his comments. And about hisos if he refers to them it shows he knows not Thailand and I guess never lived here, because they exactly doing what he is talking about but surly in the luxury clubs including prostitutes or this luxury massage clubs or gentleman clubs and especially from the government were famous for that and everybody who live in Thailand about the Thonglorclubs incidents. How he reflects Thailand has nothing to do with the reality of Thailand and it seams he never lived in Thailand. He is just a troll.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Pete424 said:

ps

He is not living in Thailand or know Thai culture

Ask him what is the difference between soklek and morlom and which one is seap? 😅🤣😂

5 hours ago, longwood50 said:

No the governments have unlimited amounts of money.  They have access to the best and brightest minds throughout the world.  I am sure they will assemble that expertise and conduct extensive research on the covid pandemic.  Those experts will convene and reach a consensus on the most effective and least intrusive measures to stem the pandemic and preserve the livelihoods of their citizens.  After evaluating all the alternatives presented, the politicians will select the best, surest, method that minimizes the economic impact and put that plan into motion. 

Of course they will only select that best plan after they have exhausted trying every other conceivable lamebrained solution first. 

Your post reminded me of when Hancock and Bojo were chanting the mantra, "We are following the science". The cynic inside me though that this was code for, "If it all goes wrong, we can blame the scientists".

However that was undermined when some of the scientists started telling the media, that there was no consensus among the scientists. So what they really meant, alluding back to your post was, "We are following the science that we like most".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rangers said:

8 of us have booked up for Phuket for the month of December, if the bars are not opening then I may cancel. What is the point. 

The bars are open in Phuket at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tanuki said:

The PMG seems to overlook the fact that the bulk of potential tourists DO want to drink alcohol, that they do this in their home countries as a normal pastime, be-it when they dine or out in the bars/pubs.  Now for winter-time/Thai high-season Emirates from European countries are wanting around £1000 for a return ticket.. What type of 'holiday' is it gonna be for them to book a stay in Thailand..? A DRY/expensive one that's for sure ..It's not all waterfalls, temples and beaches in the LoS.

There were plenty of countries around the world that banned bars etc from opening. That has changed and most of Europe is close to fully re-opened. 

Of course I would not say it is all related to alcohol, but have you noticed in Europe where they have lifted most of those restrictions, the infection rate is 19X that of Asia, where they have retained most of the restrictions? It was 16X a week ago. 

I certainly won't be going to TH until I know I can reasonably enjoy a drink. But in the meantime, I am very unwilling to criticise the alcohol policies of TH or Asia when you compare infection rates with Europe. I actually think that both TH and Asia might have got this right.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

20 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

"We are following the science that we like most".

There is no sensible set of rules being universally followed.  You have here in Thailand that bars are closed and restaurants can't serve alcohol.  Yet somehow Festivals with thousands of people are ok even when video's clearly show a significant number of festival attendees without masks and drinking alcohol.

In the USA they want laws "mandating" vaccine requirement to work or enter public establishments but with the same group proposing those mandates refuses to impose the same vaccine requirement on those entering the USA illegally.  

We are nothing but a petri dish where the governments are like the Wizard behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz.  They pull levers, issue edicts, arrest drinkers, all to create the illusion that what they are doing is really meaningful and effective. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Alcoholism and drinking culture in your home country is not Thailand's problem. 

No, but tourists not coming to Thailand is Thailands problem and not mine. As they say there “Up to you”. If they don’t want to open bars then no problem. Plenty of other places for tourists to go to. Som!  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No, but tourists not coming to Thailand is Thailands problem and not mine. As they say there “Up to you”. If they don’t want to open bars then no problem. Plenty of other places for tourists to go to. Som!  

No net loss that these people don't come. Things are changing and smart people adapt first.

6 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

There is no sensible set of rules being universally followed.  You have here in Thailand that bars are closed and restaurants can't serve alcohol.  Yet somehow Festivals with thousands of people are ok even when video's clearly show a significant number of festival attendees without masks and drinking alcohol.

In the USA they want laws "mandating" vaccine requirement to work or enter public establishments but with the same group proposing those mandates refuses to impose the same vaccine requirement on those entering the USA illegally.  

We are nothing but a petri dish where the governments are like the Wizard behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz.  They pull levers, issue edicts, arrest drinkers, all to create the illusion that what they are doing is really meaningful and effective. 

I'm sorry but you've lost me here. If you can't stop illegals entering the US, how can you expect to mandate that they get vaxxed? If an illegal shows up at a vax clinic, will they not require some documentation from them? If he then says, "Me no have. Me illegal" aren't the clinic likely to or maybe even required to turn him in? And if La Migra catch an unvaxxed illegal, wile he be deported for being an illegal, or for being unvaxxed?

1 minute ago, LoongFred said:

No net loss that these people don't come. Things are changing and smart people adapt first.

No net loss 😂. Try 6% contraction in GDP if tourists don’t come (more like -10% in real terms). How much loss do you want to see before you regard it as a loss? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I accept it's early days yet, but I understand that figures for tourists arriving in TH are currently 3k per day. That compares with an average of 120k pre-pandemic. I think that might be called a "net loss" if it's the alcohol ban that is contributing to the lower numbers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

'm sorry but you've lost me here. If you can't stop illegals entering the US, how can you expect to mandate that they get vaxxed?

It is a myth that the USA can not stop illegals.  They can but the liberal elements from the USA refuse to address it.  First off, if illegals are apprehended they can not be mandated to be vaccinated.  

Second, if the USA operated like Thailand and many other countries where it is extremely difficult to live in the country illegally they would not have an illegal immigrant problem.  
In Thailand, I can not obtain a Thai ID, I can not open a bank account, I can not rent a hotel, I can not rent an apartment, I can't get a drivers license if I don't have ID that shows that I have a passport and am legally in the country. 

But it is the height of hypocrisy that to enter the country legally a person must be tested prior to departure, and have a vaccine passport but if they sneak across the border and are detained, that is no problem. 

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/verify/immigration/no-vaccine-mandate-immigration-detention-facilities-migrant-undocumented-workers-do-not-compel-vaccination/536-d1f56fcf-230c-4183-83e5-cc86c621fe95

image.thumb.png.7c57e45efee7a0b6a6145efc0a4e2132.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brownie said:

Plenty of fine dining & designer shopping available too!!😀

Like in every little town in europe, too and this will not bring anybody from Singapore, too enough shopping and fine dining there.

Really a time for civil disobedience.  PM put in by the military, but he cannot really control local authorities can he?  Has the Thai military ever been deployed to attack/threaten local businesses trying to make a buck? 

You cannot say 1000's at the music festival partying together on the beach, or hundreds gathering together outside Treetown every night (drinking beers) is safe and then say 10 people sitting around in the Bodega bar having beers is unsafe.

It defies logic and common sense

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No net loss 😂. Try 6% contraction in GDP if tourists don’t come (more like -10% in real terms). How much loss do you want to see before you regard it as a loss? 

And a huge liquidity problem in the economy through the highest household debts in Asia with 98% of the gdp plus the yearly state households deficits what brings liquidity loss. And with the structure of the Thai economy they only compensate the liquidity loss in the economy with tourism.

33 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Please study first the actual economy numbers and structure of Thailand before claiming such things! By the why how they wanna pay back debts , houshold deficits and no liquity in the economy? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete424 said:

Still having a pop I see.....

So why are the government considering ATK test no go for all vaccinated tourists in December? Let me explain economics to you, less tourists....less money....no 1 million extremely rich tourists visiting for 2 weeks is not going spend the same amount of money as 3 .6 million tourists EVERY month.

You are getting sucked into the "We want quality tourists" propoganda, since when does Bangkok have pavemnets they can walk on hand in hand without bumping into trees...people...carts...fall in holes...stangled by electricity cables...smellly drains...or maybe they going to go to Pattaya where the sea meets Sukhumvit every time there is a storm.

Now national pride....is that Jim Thompson logo for scarfs? cos the Thailand isn't all temples and waterfalls, as you've been told before, you really need to get out and see the real Thailand.....

Where is this national pride residing? ... Red Bull heir hiding out.....Joe Ferrari.....Your exposure to the real world is severly lacking...

Exactly and he even doesn't know anything about Thai culture or what Thai people are thinking but talking about national pride. The government that is famous to give Thailand the most bad reputation ever and talking about national pride is a kind of joke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Alcoholism and drinking culture in your home country is not Thailand's problem. 

Barflys around here seem to have a strangely elevated sense of self-importance. Its clear that theyre completely oblivious to the idea that their kind just might not be welcome here anymore. 

They dont want your beer money. They want you to go away so that high quality tourists replace you.

Putting bar owners and staff out of business isnt an unfortunate side-effect of covid policy. Its the plan. 

Let me put it in a way that everyone can understand.

They USED to want barfly tourism...and now they don't. 

Perhaps find another country that's prepared to sacrifice their national pride for a shirtless farangs beer money. 

The national pride who goes daily partying in the luxus clubs and having prostitutes. Thais are very informed about the national pride. I see you realy not know a lot about Thailand or thinking everybody is that stupid and doesnt know where your pride is a daily guest. Comon next joke 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

It is a myth that the USA can not stop illegals.  They can but the liberal elements from the USA refuse to address it.  First off, if illegals are apprehended they can not be mandated to be vaccinated.  

Second, if the USA operated like Thailand and many other countries where it is extremely difficult to live in the country illegally they would not have an illegal immigrant problem.  
In Thailand, I can not obtain a Thai ID, I can not open a bank account, I can not rent a hotel, I can not rent an apartment, I can't get a drivers license if I don't have ID that shows that I have a passport and am legally in the country. 

But it is the height of hypocrisy that to enter the country legally a person must be tested prior to departure, and have a vaccine passport but if they sneak across the border and are detained, that is no problem. 

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/verify/immigration/no-vaccine-mandate-immigration-detention-facilities-migrant-undocumented-workers-do-not-compel-vaccination/536-d1f56fcf-230c-4183-83e5-cc86c621fe95

image.thumb.png.7c57e45efee7a0b6a6145efc0a4e2132.png

Now I'm sorry I asked. 

I take it you are aware, that except in very limited cases, it is illegal for Doctors to treat people against their expressed will? 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I guess all Thais are wondering now about this poster. Thais and no drinking culture? Did he ever been in a business meeting in Thailand ever been in any company in Thailand and after work dinner and drinking. Did ever had any contact with Thais? His comments about Thailand/Thais are the most absurd here

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Now I'm sorry I asked. 

I take it you are aware, that except in very limited cases, it is illegal for Doctors to treat people against their expressed will? 

That is true, however if you showed up in the USA on an airplane or cruise ship without proper vaccine passport you are not put in detention and eventually released.  You are immediately sent back.  Same should apply here.