Do Covid 19 masks work?

OneAngryJew

I cannot help but to feel sorry for the poor people who have been told to wear masks when the majority wear masks that are completely useless.  Anyone with a surgical mask, is not protecting themselves or you.  

So why do it if you aren't going to do it correctly? 

Masks really do not work.  Staying away from other people works. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 2

28 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Anyone with a surgical mask, is not protecting themselves or you.  

Wonder why they are used the OR/A&E etc ..?

• Like 5

Had a discussion on "the other forum" some time ago, about this subject. Posted a scientific study on the subject which mentioned the size of a virus compared to the size of the masks. Indeed there was no way a mask would protect. 

Then, two days later, the scientific study link broke, and I was countered with the "science" of "that viruses connect themselves to pollution-particles and therefore masks were useful..... ?.

I quit the discussion then. First of all, there was no study or evidence given on this assumption and, even if there was, then you still have to prove that ALL viruses connect to particles. good luck with that. But I'll have to admit, in some streets in bkk, the particles are so high, I believe there will be no free virus left. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Faraday said:

They are not used to prevent droplets from getting tossed into the open body.  They are not there for viral blocking.

5 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

Had a discussion on "the other forum" some time ago, about this subject. Posted a scientific study on the subject which mentioned the size of a virus compared to the size of the masks. Indeed there was no way a mask would protect. 

Then, two days later, the scientific study link broke, and I was countered with the "science" of "that viruses connect themselves to pollution-particles and therefore masks were useful..... ?.

I quit the discussion then. First of all, there was no study or evidence given on this assumption and, even if there was, then you still have to prove that ALL viruses connect to particles. good luck with that. But I'll have to admit, in some streets in bkk, the particles are so high, I believe there will be no free virus left. 

The air quality now is quite acceptable.

5 minutes ago, thai3 said:

They are not useless, at the very least they stop you touching your mouth and nose with dirty fingers

To stop you touching your mouth and nose with dirty fingers, amputation of both hands works even better.,. ?

7 minutes ago, thai3 said:

They are not useless, at the very least they stop you touching your mouth and nose with dirty fingers

How many times have you witnessed someone adjusting their mask by pinching it from the front?  Almost all the time.  How many times have you seen this in a restaurant either by the waiter or cook?

12 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Doctors and front-line medical workers are now adopting face shields.  

They've been in use for years.

For Covid prophylaxis, since last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneAngryJew said:

I cannot help but to feel sorry for the poor people who have been told to wear masks when the majority wear masks that are completely useless.  Anyone with a surgical mask, is not protecting themselves or you.  

So why do it if you aren't going to do it correctly? 

Masks really do not work.  Staying away from other people works. 

Fauci recommends wearing two. 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

How many times have you witnessed someone adjusting their mask by pinching it from the front?  Almost all the time.  How many times have you seen this in a restaurant either by the waiter or cook?

So you often wonder into the restaurant cooking section do you to look at the cooks. Why is that ? To see if they are cooking food suitable for your tastes or just to see if they are pinching their masks from the front ?

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

So you often wonder into the restaurant cooking section do you to look at the cooks. Why is that ? To see if they are cooking food suitable for your tastes or just to see if they are pinching their masks from the front ?

Used to be a chef, most likely....

will smith cooking GIF

• Haha 2

The purpose of the mask is to prevent droplets from coughs or sneezes from exiting your mask as much as possible.  The virus is in those aerosols.  It is not meant to be a perfect trap but to dramatically reduce the amount of virus spread out to people and surfaces where people would touch thus dramatically reducing the spread of the virus.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just now, DrPhibes said:

The purpose of the mask is to prevent droplets from coughs or sneezes from exiting your mask as much as possible.  The virus is in those aerosols.  It is not meant to be a perfect trap but to dramatically reduce the amount of virus spread out to people and surfaces where people would touch thus dramatically reducing the spread of the virus.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. 

1 hour ago, Faraday said:
2 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

Anyone with a surgical mask, is not protecting themselves or you.  

It was a French surgeon (in I think around the late 1800s?) who started using a mask to prevent droplets of mucus, saliva, etc from his mouth entering the body part of the patient he was operating on. It became popular in the medical profession from then onwards.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

It's not very effective. 

image.thumb.png.e268d876cde65004c12b44a5d55e74f2.png

28 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It was a French surgeon (in I think around the late 1800s?) who started using a mask to prevent droplets of mucus, saliva, etc from his mouth entering the body part of the patient he was operating on. It became popular in the medical profession from then onwards.

Yes, what is being mandated as a critical part of prevention is just more virtue signaling pushed by the left and their media co-conspirators. 

For those of you wondering how Listerine is named so.

"In 1867, the British surgeon Joseph Lister postulated that wound disease was caused by the germs of the microscopically small living entities that Louis Pasteur had recently described"

Later.....

"...bacteriologist Carl Flügge, who had shown experimentally that respiratory droplets carried culturable bacteria. In response to these findings, Mikulicz started to wear a face mask in 1897, which he described as “a piece of gauze tied by two strings to the cap, and sweeping across the face so as to cover the nose and mouth and beard”.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31207-1/fulltext

Edited by Faraday
S'pelling... again...?
  • Like 1

<attachment removed as repugnant to many>

Edited by KaptainRob
Refer Forum Guidelines

Masks have always been about.

Masks to stop poison gasses. Masks to stop stuff falling into open wounds in the OT. To stop the Spanish Flu in the US between 1915 and 1925. Some masks - more often a scarf held across the face -  was essential during the 1950 smogs in London ( I can recall those times). There have been occasions when I have worn them myself; Nigeria; A wood yard in North London; To restrict fumes and dust in a foundry.

This particular one is haunting. I'm second in from the left; looking at the cameraman.

1460269380_oldplaguemasks.thumb.png.bfbacc2a05e9e5817ac998dce9c7950a.png

Edited by snapdragon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Whatever happened to all the warnings about transmission from counters, cash, etc. I guess they just want to focus all the sheeple on wearing masks to show their blind obedience.  The likelihood of getting it from a simple cash exchange at the 711 is highly likely.  In order to be fully protected from such a transmissible virus you would need to wear a full body suit and go through a spray chamber every time including watch, money clothing everything.  

• Like 4