Do Covid 19 masks work?

OneAngryJew

16 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

You are just plain wrong with this "fact" you claim.  if someone coughs or sneezes and is wearing a mask the droplets  from the cough or sneeze will not spray onto another person.  If you are wearing a mask and someone coughs near you the droplets will stick to the mask and not go into your mouth or nose. 

Pretty simple safety measure 

masks 3.png

Obviously I was not talking about coughing/sneezing while wearing the mask.  When you are in a coughing/sneezing state of health, it's clear that you should take precautions to prevent spread.

4 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

You are showing your ignorance.  The Delta variant has 1000 X the viral shedding of the earlier variants.  You better bring facts to the table. 

No  it latches onto  cell better,  it does not fly through the air better and FACT CHECK -  you are the one consistently spouting outright misinformation.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlueSphinx said:

Obviously I was not talking about coughing/sneezing while wearing the mask.  When you are in a coughing/sneezing state of health, it's clear that you should take precautions to prevent spread.

I would not want to be in a car with you sneezing. 

It will become a coffin.

Or an elevator which is why I keep people out when I ride.  I also spray the elevator air with a blast of Dettol before getting in.

1 minute ago, ChristyS said:

No  it latches onto  cell better,  it does not fly through the air better and FACT CHECK -  you are the one consistently spouting outright misinformation.  

Quote my "outright" misinformation.  

Go ahead, make my day.  I dare you.

1 minute ago, ChristyS said:

It doesn't latch on better.  It is the D variant because there is 1000 x more shedding.  The higher the viral load, the sick you will get.

6 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Seriously?  The viral objects, some will go through the mask, but many in droplets will stick to the front  of the mask.  Why would you even intimate that it is ok to touch the outside of the mask?

I was asking.  Yes that is a concern I would agree. 

2 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

It will become a coffin.

Or an elevator which is why I keep people out when I ride.  I also spray the elevator air with a blast of Dettol before getting in.

So inhaling Deetol is going to be safe? 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

It doesn't latch on better.  It is the D variant because there is 1000 x more shedding.  The higher the viral load, the sick you will get.

Shedding?  No  it's the load  that has increased, not the ability  to "shed" The mere  latching on  is how Delta is better- better latching =  more  virus.  Masks worn properly  and social distancing are still going to prevent it from getting into your cells.

According to an internal CDC document, the Delta variant – one of four “variants of concern” that have evolved from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 – is more than twice as infectious as the original virus and as infectious as chickenpox...

"That efficiency comes down to the molecular details. We know that the Delta variant carries multiple mutations, including within the spike protein which it uses to latch onto and enter cells. Of particular note, said Roan, is a spike protein mutation at what’s known as the furin cleavage site. This site is important for “priming” or activating newly replicated viruses to begin infecting cells. "

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/08/421171/how-dangerous-delta-variant-heres-what-science-says

Edited by ChristyS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Try exercising while wearing one.  You'll change your mind quickly.

For the time being we are lucky in CM as we still can go out and run with out having to wear one. But only for exercise is the given. For me I do not wear one for running, but when I see as am coming up on a person, I do give some berth to the side so to try not to come in direct air contact before and when passing. Also hold my breath or breathe through my nose, but can only do our best. But for me I do think that masks do give some slight protection which is better than zero. All you can do on the other part is to toss the mask and wash your hands making sure you first don't touch anything that would leave the virus on that object. In our vehicles we have alcohol, so we use this in and out and wipe or spray everything we touch such as the door handles etc.

1 minute ago, OneAngryJew said:

Better than virus.

seeing as most people have very mild or no symptoms, I'd disagree. Might want to read the cautions on the label- or just wear a mask  

3 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

The mere  latching on  is how Delta is better- better latching =  more  virus.  Masks worn properly  and social distancing are still going to prevent it from getting into your cells.  

I have never read this in any scientific literature.  Show me proof.

I have read that people with delta shed 1000x more than Alpha.

That I can prove.  Can you prove your assertion?

3 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

seeing as most people have very mild or no symptoms, I'd disagree. Might want to read the cautions on the label- or just wear a mask  

I am wearing a respirator.

1 hour ago, OneAngryJew said:

You should already Be washing your vegetables. I think you can factually assume that they're covered with pesticides

Talking of vegetables:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

I thought masks work?  Isn't that what everyone tells me?  Now you can't sneeze in one?  Really?

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

Oh dear, oh dear...  from what you wrote it seems that relentless pro-mask propaganda can ultimately stiffle common sense.

Just a few facts and observations to put this whole mask-debate in perspective:

#1 - Before the covid-19 hysteria, the only mask-wearing in the West was done when conducting work with hazardous susbstances or used by operating room staff when conducting surgery.  This in contrast to Far-East countries like Japan, where cloth mask-wearing was common practice when the wearer had a cold but felt good enough to work (in many Asian countries not showing up for work, meant no pay).  The mask was meant to protect co-workers from any coughs/sneezes, but it's main purpose was SIGNALING that the wearer had a cold and that they better kept distance.

#2 - It is hard to believe, but what happened is that instead of recommending to those that had a cold or flu like symptoms to wear a mask as a SIGNALING device, mask-mandates were introduced forcing everybody to wear it when entering shops/stores and even outdoors in crowded places.  So byebye to that main useful signaling purpose, as now everybody had become 'suspect'.   If the intent was to create an atmosphere in which everybody was continually reminded that we were in a 'crisis', it could not have been chosen better. 

#3 - Now if the masks that are used indeed avoided spreading the virus by the infected they would have at least some utility.  But the cloth or cheap paper-masks worn by the large majority of the population do absolutely ZILCH in preventing virus-spread.  And WORSE, they are actually quite harmful as they reduce the oxygen intake and accumulate CO2 in that reservoir you wear before your nose/mouth.  Especially children that are forced to wear these face-diapers will suffer from it.  These harmful effects of mask-wearing are continually down-played but are scientifically proven.

#4 - But, but, but 'the science' shows that mask-wearing has a marginal effect on spreading the virus, so why not 'listen to the science' and comply.  Well, the studies that 'prove' mask-effectiveness are as good as always done in laboratory-environments using a) the right kind of mask and b) applying that mask correctly.   The real-life mask-wearing however is completely different, with people re-using those useless and often contaminated old cloth or paper-masks. 

#5 - The proponents of mask-wearing must be quite dizzy by now from all the U-turns they have made on the subject.  Pope Fauci at the start of the covid-pandemic was quite clear and outspoken that masks were not useful or recommended, but when its 'virtue signalling' function (compliance being more important than health reasons) became clear, he changed his position, and in a doubling-down effort even recommended double-mask wearing.  That was so ridiculous that even he realized that was 'unsellable'. 

#6 - And while Joe and Jane Average were forced to wear masks or face huge fines, it seemed that the virus was not dangerous for the VIPs and HiSos.  There are countless photos and videos of those in positions of power, NOT wearing the masks in private company when they thought nobody could see them (remember Anutin's dinner parties, the Wimbledon stalls, or even worse the full G7 barbeque with NONE of the world-leaders wearing a mask and only the servants being forced to wear them).

#7 - The amount of studies that compellingly provide evidence that mask-wearing is a useless and even harmful ritual is growing exponently.  But at this moment no amount of evidence will convince the mask-cultists to get rid of their fetish as can be clearly seen in countries where mask-wearing is not mandatory anymore and people STILL keep on wearing them, telling that they 'don't feel safe' without that cloth.  The relentless mask-propaganda has transformed them in Pavlovian mask-eteers.

>> Please do challenge me with scientific studies that disprove anything of what I stated higher.  Good luck with that...

Oh dear, oh dear? Nothing to do with "relentless pro-mask propaganda" - I listen to medical professionals who have oodles of common sense.

Your so-called facts and observations:

#1 - Before the covid-19 hysteria mask-wearing in Thailand was done to avoid traffic and seasonal burning pollution. This is a THAI forum.

#2 - It certainly is hard to believe you are right.

#3 - Masks stop the spread large loads of the virus on droplets, as I said in my previous post. 

#4 - The 'science' shows that mask-wearing has a significant effect on containing the virus. Of course people need to use clean masks. 

#5 - I have never U-turned. Fauci is a loon. 

#6 - Penalties for non-compliance are nothing to do with the effectiveness of masks. You are wandering.

#7 - The amount of studies that compellingly provide evidence that mask-wearing is a useless and even harmful ritual is growing exponently. Really? Do share at least one.

Please do challenge me with scientific studies that disprove anything of what I stated higher. Why don't you link to stuff that proves your points? Rants don't count.

39 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

If it is like this here, then it probably had to be the same over on the other site that you two bucked heads. True or not?

I don't remember him.

43 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

The Delta variant makes this graphic obsolete.

Bollerks. The principle is the same. 

30 minutes ago, Fester said:

Bollerks. The principle is the same. 

Congratulations.  I'm going to Robert Heinlein you.  Bye bye ... 

But, before I do, you took my name over on ThaiFESTERINGvisa. I was UncleFester for a short time.

Bye ...

Edited by OneAngryJew
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

I wish I could.  I don't wear a mask when I power walk.  I get chased by toothless security guards.  Most of them I tell to go FU&* off and I use that word a lot, but some won't get the message.  I have one that chases my son and myself as we walk in our condo complex.  

I stay away from everyone.  My n100 mask is not to be worn during exercise.  I don't have an inferior mask.

Super Mask 2 - the sequel.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, OneAngryJew said:

Doctors and front-line medical workers are now adopting face shields.  

Monks are adopting them over our way.

32 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

It flies through the air with the greatest of ease

A daring young sneeze takes this crappy disease

Across the land and even the seas

Cos my mask was stolen away.

46 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

It will become a coffin.

Then farts to be on the safe side.?

• Like 1

Glad to see some intelligent conversation on mask wearing. 

As far as anti-vaxers are concerned, the 3rd variant from now (code name "The Rapture") will see to them.

2 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

You should already Be washing your vegetables. I think you can factually assume that they're covered with pesticides

I always wash my meat 'n' veg, never seen any pesticides on 'em. No crabs neither.

beach love GIF by Hey Duggee

• Like 1
  • Haha 2