Do Covid 19 masks work?

OneAngryJew

3 minutes ago, Fester said:

The one I feel most sorry for is you. 

Oh please tell me why you feel sorry for me? I'm more protected than you. I should feel sorry for you.

12 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

I challenge how you know what they are thinking. The short answer is you don't. I wear an N 100 respirator. Do you think I'm protecting you? I am not. I'm protecting myself.

My mask has an exhalation valve. If you're stupid enough to stand next to me, you're getting my exhale which is unknown filtered. On the other hand when I breathe in my mask pulls to my face, because it has a silicon seal. I have a 100% seal so everything I breathe in goes through my mask.

Now I'm more than ready for you to come back and tell me that wearing a surgical mask protects me if someone else is wearing the mask.

Nonsense nonsense nonsense nonsense nonsense

When they exhale, it goes out the path of least resistance. That means since their mask is not sealed, and they have no silicone seal like I do, their exhale goes everywhere as well. No one is protecting anyone. If I want to I can now buy plugs so that my exhale goes out through the mask, specifically the filter.

You are as wrong as you can be.

My mask is better than your mask

Na na na na na mask...

Chorus

And I know where your plugs should go to..right up your exhale!

God, I'm angry now.

Just now, Fester said:

My mask is better than your mask

Na na na na na mask...

Chorus

And I know where your plugs should go to..right up your exhale!

God, I'm angry now.

Are you in need of a safe space? Let me know where you are and I'll see if I can provide one.

Just now, Transam said:

You are, how come..?

You have a complete misunderstanding about how masks function, or don't function.

31 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

In my opinion this is nothing more than a show

OK this is from the Wuhan lab.  Do you see any of them walking around with just the face mask or does their protective gear give you the impression that they believe they need something more than a mask to prevent the spread of Covid.  That is the point.  Those that believe that somehow face masks provide adequate protection preventing those infected from spreading the disease and those wearing one from contracting it are delusional.  

One only has to wear a mask and blow on a mirror to see that as the mirror fogs.  Additionally face masks hardly form a perfect seal and breath escapes via the edges of the mask.  Masks "may" help but at best they are only nominally effective.  Even Fauci said that within 6 feet of each other that masks still let significant amounts of the particulate to escape.  

One way or another, whether it is lab workers or health workers their garb pretty well indicates they don't believe that wearing only a face mask provides adequate protection. 

image.thumb.png.2ba400b1053d8e0a164fa4f47ad0a895.png

Edited by longwood50
  • Haha 1

Just now, longwood50 said:

OK this is from the Wuhan lab.  Do you see any of them walking around with just the face mask or does their protective gear give you the impression that they believe they need something more than a mask to prevent the spread of Covid.  That is the point.  Those that believe that somehow face masks provide adequate protection preventing those infected from spreading the disease and those wearing one from contracting it are delusional.  

One only has to wear a mask and blow on a mirror to see that as the mirror fogs.  Additionally face masks hardly form a perfect seal and breath escapes via the edges of the mask.  Masks "may" help but at best they are only nominally effective.  Even Fauci said that within 6 feet of each other that masks still let significant amounts of the particulate to escape.  

One way or another, whether it is lab workers or health workers their garb pretty well indicates they don't believe that wearing only a face mask provides adequate protection. 

https://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/attachment/2021/2021-05-24/61112a2a-a1c9-496a-8aae-0c34a73df1d0.jpeg

Be careful, you might force some of them to think

Edited by OneAngryJew

5 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

I just explained to you that my mask has exhalation valves. Now you may think that I'm a very bad man, and on thinking of my fellow human beings, and you'd be right on one count, that I'm not thinking of my fellow human beings.

Under our County guidelines, masks with exhalation valves do not satisfy masking requirements because they don't protect others as well. However, I have never seen anyone stopped at the door of a store if they had one on. During certain periods, it looked like our neighborhood had been taken over by construction workers.

7 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

When they exhale it goes through the path of least resistance which is usually the top of the mask because it's not sealed to the face. The problem with surgical masks is that what goes out also comes in. When you breathe in some of it might go through that surgical mask but I would say most of it goes through the gaps.

I think there has been a lot of news coverage about fit being really important for effective masking. Some people demonstrated a technique to tighten a surgical mask by tying a knot in each earloop close to the mask. Maybe I did it wrong, but I think more likely my face is too big for that strategy. An easier approach that more people followed was to use a better fitting cloth mask over your surgical mask. This still might be only 50% protective against fine aerosols compared with your N100, but it's much easier to put on and take off as you buzz around doing your errands.

Of course, many people are just going through the motions, not even covering their noses, so the whole idea of protecting one another is not working out very well.

Just now, Transam said:

So why is the whole PLANET ordering their citizens to wear them..?

You read like you know it all, you know more than the PLANETS advisers on the matter.

Are you Piers Corbyn by any chance...?  ?

Are you seriously going to fall back on the rationale that because everybody is saying something that it's right? In the 1930s everyone in Germany, or almost everyone said that Jews were evil and must be destroyed. Everyone was saying it, so it must be right? Right?

Stop thinking in herd mentality. You're not even going to get herd immunity, anywhere. If you want to go off and run with the herd, have at it. I won't be going with you.

15 minutes ago, SomTum said:

Under our County guidelines, masks with exhalation valves do not satisfy masking requirements because they don't protect others as well. However, I have never seen anyone stopped at the door of a store if they had one on. During certain periods, it looked like our neighborhood had been taken over by construction workers.

I think there has been a lot of news coverage about fit being really important for effective masking. Some people demonstrated a technique to tighten a surgical mask by tying a knot in each earloop close to the mask. Maybe I did it wrong, but I think more likely my face is too big for that strategy. An easier approach that more people followed was to use a better fitting cloth mask over your surgical mask. This still might be only 50% protective against fine aerosols compared with your N100, but it's much easier to put on and take off as you buzz around doing your errands.

Of course, many people are just going through the motions, not even covering their noses, so the whole idea of protecting one another is not working out very well.

Right. I think you can take every one of those idiots that has to constantly pull their mask up over there knows as they talk. That is like a leaky diaper.

That gives me a thought, would any of you people who are so in love with the mask and so in love with being altruistic, buy a diaper for your baby to doesn't seal?

Edited by OneAngryJew

1 minute ago, OneAngryJew said:

Right. I think you can take every one of those idiots that has to constantly pull their mask up over there knows as they talk. That is like a leaky diaper.

That gives me a thought, would any of you people who are so in love with the mask and so in love with being altruistic, by a diaper for your baby to doesn't seal?

Now you are talking crap ?

21 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

just explained to you that my mask has exhalation valves

Colostomy bag...on your face?

Whatever next .!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

That gives me a thought, would any of you people who are so in love with the mask and so in love with being altruistic, by a diaper for your baby to doesn't seal?

Now you're starting to mumble. A spot of fresh air perhaps?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Are you in need of a safe space? Let me know where you are and I'll see if I can provide one.

Well I would like to be well clear when you fit your plugs. Just in case, like.

• Haha 1

Surgical masks are certainly adequate in filtration. The thing to do is to wear the blue (filter) side in with  a stretchy material mask over the surgical mask  to seal the sides which do tend to pouf out. Or tape  the sides. Of course the nose should be squeezed in to fit snugly- something a lot of people aren't doing, so they get extra wide berth. 

Breathing in through the nose gives one last layer of filtration.

I'm also wearing big glasses and a face shield and only going  on essential  grocery runs, absolutely no restaurants, no take out food which is made in restaurants.  If forced to I would  order groceries,   but wary of the  extra  level  of people touching and breathing all over it. 

With Lambda we'll be putting cotton in our ears, too.  Not a bad idea to do that now

I cannot get a vaccine, and to be sickened and forced to hospital would be devastating in many ways.  

Edited by ChristyS
clarify

Just now, ChristyS said:

Surgical masks are certainly adequate in filtration. The thing to do is to wear a stretchy material mask over the surgical mask  blue (filter) side in to seal the sides which do tend to pouf out. Or tape  the sides. Of course the nose should be squeezed in to fit snugly- something a lot of people aren't doing, so they get extra wide berth. 

I'm wearing big glasses and a face shield and only going  on essential  grocery runs, absolutely no restaurants, no take out food which is made in restaurants.  If forced to I would  order groceries,   but wary of the  extra  level  of people touching and breathing all over it. 

With Lambda we'll be putting cotton in our ears, too.  Not a bad idea to do that now

I cannot get a vaccine, and to be sickened and forced to hospital would be devastating in many ways.  

Everything that is delivered from either Tesco or TOPS gets washed. Nothing comes into the house that isn't cleaned.

4 minutes ago, Fester said:

Now you're starting to mumble. A spot of fresh air perhaps?

I'm dictating with Dragon dictate. Sometimes I don't catch the mistakes

14 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Are you seriously going to fall back on the rationale that because everybody is saying something that it's right? In the 1930s everyone in Germany, or almost everyone said that Jews were evil and must be destroyed. Everyone was saying it, so it must be right? Right?

Stop thinking in herd mentality. You're not even going to get herd immunity, anywhere. If you want to go off and run with the herd, have at it. I won't be going with you.

Small mercies at least.

4 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

Surgical masks are certainly adequate in filtration. The thing to do is to wear a stretchy material mask over the surgical mask  blue (filter) side in to seal the sides which do tend to pouf out. Or tape  the sides. Of course the nose should be squeezed in to fit snugly- something a lot of people aren't doing, so they get extra wide berth. 

I'm also wearing big glasses and a face shield and only going  on essential  grocery runs, absolutely no restaurants, no take out food which is made in restaurants.  If forced to I would  order groceries,   but wary of the  extra  level  of people touching and breathing all over it. 

You should already Be washing your vegetables. I think you can factually assume that they're covered with pesticides

3 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

I'm dictating with Dragon dictate. Sometimes I don't catch the mistakes

Maybe your super mask making your comments all gibberish then.

5 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

That's a reasonable approach.

We can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good (or the good enough). These masks are not impenetrable, but for fleeting exposure during a run through a market, we don't need perfect. I'm still a fan of Monica Gandhi's hypothesis about reducing the potential severity of disease by reducing the amount of inhaled virus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7393808/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Transam said:

It seems you don't like responses to your one way street, oh well, never mind.

Herd mentality, so you are a loner and the rest are plebs, hmmmm, I was only last night watching some very funny vids on Karons and Sovereign Citizens, I was amazed to see there are zillions of them that think they are right and the rest are wrong, but it is fun watching.....

Tell me your TVF names, all may become clear....Perhaps...?

I think it's pretty clear that you have no idea what a sovereign citizen is. It would seem that you ingest whatever is spewed by the media and you take it to heart as gospel. I am sure you are much happier than I am. But, I would never want to be you.

Edited by OneAngryJew

40 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

[misleading picture removed] 

FACT CHECK   This post above with the misleading picture removed is a great example of  disinformation. Firstly air is composed  of molecules which are far far smaller that viral particles, hence the condensation on the mirror through a surgical mask.  Secondly  we don't know if the picture really is from the Wuhan lab which studies all manner of virus  here's an example below of research  from 2017 ; porcine coronavirus (porcine enteric alphacoronavirus [PEAV]).  Thirdly, even if it is from Wuhan- naturally workers in such a lab are going to use the maximum level of protections.   https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/9/17-0915_article 

Edited by ChristyS
clarify

1 minute ago, ChristyS said:

FACT CHECK   This post above with the misleading picture removed is a great example of  disinformation. Firstly we don't know if the picture really is from the Wuhan lab which studies all manner of virus  here's an example below of research  from 2017 ; porcine coronavirus (porcine enteric alphacoronavirus [PEAV]).  Even if it is- naturally workers in such a lab are going to use the maximum level of protections.   https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/9/17-0915_article 

Whether or not it's the Wuhan lab is irrelevant. It's obviously from a lab that requires high level of protection. You're trying to obfuscate and point away from the topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Transam said:

Wow, so something else I know nothing about, I think you may have a...........or read the tea leaves...?

882829076_Crystalball...thumb.jpg.e50afc9c88db659c7f6333200ae8e782.jpg

Enlighten us with your knowledge.

17 minutes ago, Transam said:

Tell me your TVF names, all may become clear....Perhaps...?

No.  I will tell everyone else, but not you.