Do Covid 19 masks work?

OneAngryJew

I see it simply as a method I can use to improve my odds. My odds of not catching Covid-19 is what I refer to.

Wearing a mask when in close company – yeah, may be minimal impact, but feel it can reduce the risk of catching any stray nasty droplets, so better odds for me.

Besides my Mother always taught me to cover my own mouth when coughing or sneezing so out of respect to her, I do. The mask just saves all the excessive hand work!

Others can decide what is best for themselves and their needs. I and my Mother have no control over them.

• Like 6

It has been shown that masks reduce covid infections by 50% (meaning that comparing a group with masks and a control group without masks, the number of infections  in the former was halved). Surprisingly, though, surgical masks were just as effective as N95 masks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, M.O. said:

It has been shown that masks reduce covid infections by 50% (meaning that comparing a group with masks and a control group without masks, the number of infections  in the former was halved). Surprisingly, though, surgical masks were just as effective as N95 masks.

Yeah but for every study which might shows mask reduce covid, there is equal study which shows cloth makes make no difference to transmission

So basically there is definite science that surgical masks reduce tranmission rates, and they probably do more harm than good, with bacteria attached to mask surfaces

That's not even thinking about the social consequences of wearing a mask, don't want to walk to anyone anymore

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Transam said:

As an ol' guy, I can as a kid remember doctors and dentists wearing masks, as they do today for a reason.

With a pandemic that is shortening a zillion lives I do not see a problem with wearing a mask at appropriate times till the pandemic is over. 

I read today about a 'fit' anti-vaxxer, who spouted off in the media about C19, has just died from it. But I am sure there are folk on forums who think they are safe as they have never had a cold or flu in their life....?

Oh, you will like this, just the first bit......Very funny.......?

Dr Delores Cahill is one of the biggest heroes in this plandemic.

Don't agree with everything she says, but I agree with everything she stands for.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

I see it simply as a method I can use to improve my odds. My odds of not catching Covid-19 is what I refer to.

Wearing a mask when in close company – yeah, may be minimal impact, but feel it can reduce the risk of catching any stray nasty droplets, so better odds for me.

Besides my Mother always taught me to cover my own mouth when coughing or sneezing so out of respect to her, I do. The mask just saves all the excessive hand work!

Others can decide what is best for themselves and their needs. I and my Mother have no control over them.

I'm not saying that the surgical or cloth masks don't do anything.  That would be foolish to say. They do provide a little protection.

They can't protect you from a sneeze. I won't let anyone in the elevator with me.  I ride taxis and grab with windows open.  WIndows closed makes the car a coffin.  One sneeze and you are done.  It happened to the GF.  Taxi driver wouldn't let her open the windows.  She should have kicked him in the back of his head.  He sneezes and tells her it's ok, she's almost home.

2 hours ago, M.O. said:

Pish posh.  You cannot compare a surgical mask with a properly fitted N95 mask.

The mask is about as protective as a helmet is to a motorcycle rider when hit head on by a cement truck.  Better than nothing but not by much. 

• Like 1

I use an N95 respirator and a surgical mask over it, unfortunately they're hard to come by in Thailand. All I see are the bogus K95 and fake 'N95' masks. It's worked well and I was in a hospital a lot earlier this year/last year and never got covid. I wish I brought more as it doesn't look like i'll be getting anymore, maybe I could have a friend ship me some from Canada.

The medical N95 respirators were really hard to come by in canada, so I have the regular N95 respirators and use a surgical mask over to compensate

I also was in the same camp that regular cheap masks don't do much, but I am sure they do better than nothing. I would never rely on just the cheap surgical masks.

Edited by dj230
  • Thanks 1

Anybody who say that masks serve no use at all are clearly completely wrong. Here is proof that masks can be useful, more than one even better

image.thumb.png.c4e94d4c9ad6b2b50582c4c3f60e157e.png

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

Anybody who say that masks serve no use at all are clearly completely wrong. Here is proof that masks can be useful, more than one even better

Naaah, you just proved that NO masks are the better choice... ?

9 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

I cannot help but to feel sorry for the poor people who have been told to wear masks when the majority wear masks that are completely useless.  Anyone with a surgical mask, is not protecting themselves or you.  

So why do it if you aren't going to do it correctly? 

Masks really do not work.  Staying away from other people works. 

MIT released recently a study where 30 feet was the same as 3 feet in the same room. So even the distance will not help if you stay long enough in the same closed or semi-closed space with a person with Covid.

The Covid virus diameter is 100 nanometer, about half the size of average particle diameter in secondhand smoke.

Edited by JackIsAGoodBoy

4 minutes ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

MIT released recently a study where 30 feet was the same as 3 feet in the same room. So even the distance will not help if you stay long enough in the same closed or semi-closed space with a person with Covid.

The Covid virus diameter is 100 nanometer, about half the size of average particle diameter in secondhand smoke.

Can you give me a link to that study?

5 hours ago, yetanother said:

ok, so how about the large percentage of thais running about that are using useless masks and couldnt explain N95 to you if their life depended on it;

they are, ignorantly, risking others, convinced just the opposite

only thais ? the amount of morons that wear a mask UNDER nose are I would say 95% non thai.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

I'm not saying that the surgical or cloth masks don't do anything.  That would be foolish to say. They do provide a little protection.

They can't protect you from a sneeze. I won't let anyone in the elevator with me.  I ride taxis and grab with windows open.  WIndows closed makes the car a coffin.  One sneeze and you are done.  It happened to the GF.  Taxi driver wouldn't let her open the windows.  She should have kicked him in the back of his head.  He sneezes and tells her it's ok, she's almost home.

Out of interest how are you going to stop me getting in the lift with you ?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Out of interest how are you going to stop me getting in the lift with you ?

With Thais it's easy, I just growl at them.  Since I don't live with many Westerners, I haven't had to do it.  

Edited by OneAngryJew

34 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well thats the 7pm happy ending cancelled !

• Haha 1

Surgical masks are about as protective as your regular psycho ex-girlfriend pricking holes to condoms in order to get pregnant. ?

Edited by JackIsAGoodBoy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Shaving is also mandatory.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I've looked closely. I think you're right.

Yep I made sure she was smooth before I gave her those masks to wear ?

1 hour ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Surgical masks are about as protective as your regular psycho ex-girlfriend pricking holes to condoms in order to get pregnant. ?

Interesting life you lead!

• Haha 1

Maybe, I open a can of worms, but if those studies about masks working or not, are based on the outcome of a pcr test, which has been a big topic of debate since the so called "cycles" determine the outcome of the test, can those tests be taken serious?

• Like 1