Do Covid 19 masks work?

OneAngryJew

10 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

Maybe, I open a can of worms, but if those studies about masks working or not, are based on the outcome of a PCR test, which has been a big topic of debate since the so called "cycles" determine the outcome of the test, can those tests be taken serious?

All for opening up cans of worms. IMO, masks are a major aspect of 'project fear'.

Ah yes! The PCR test? What is if for? And what is the relevance of any result? Developed by Dr K Mullis many years ago.  Unfortunately he died just before the pandemic simulation two months later in October 2019.

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/pcr_polymerase_chain_reaction_test/article_em.htm

It's interesting to consider that the medical establishment seem to be confusing everyone over the words 'cases' and 'infections' Traditionally cases were infected people. Now it appears that anyone can have a PCR test, and although not infected; be a case. How can that be? Deliberate confusion perhaps? By running the cycles very high[ or normal.

Once the cycles get above 25 the chances that the test will match a sample is greatly increased. At 45 cycles a positive result can be registered by most unusual items; a banana, yogourt and the content found by running the swab on the sole of the shoe.

Some might think that if some dodgy outfit wants high case numbers (note, not infections) they might amplify to over 40; even to 45. But if the WHO suggested figure of 27 amp's be the maximum, then fewer 'cases' will be the result.

So, it depends what these dodgy dealers actually intend. Want to broadcast that 'cases' are on the rise, then run the test at 45 (UK government). But if the plan is to show that measures undertakem are working then 27 amp's is good.

If Mr and Mrs Gull in Bolton have just heard on the BBC, that infections have reached new highs in their area. Then they will probably don a mask, when they venture out, and be quite shocked at seeing others without one on. How could they be so selfish?

Policy seems to be made on the result of the PCR test. Masks, social distancing, reasons for being out etc

All the worms escaped.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

All for opening up cans of worms. IMO, masks are a major aspect of 'project fear'.

Ah yes! The PCR test? What is if for? And what is the relevance of any result? Developed by Dr K Mullis many years ago.  Unfortunately he died just before the pandemic simulation two months later in October 2019.

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/pcr_polymerase_chain_reaction_test/article_em.htm

It's interesting to consider that the medical establishment seem to be confusing everyone over the words 'cases' and 'infections' Traditionally cases were infected people. Now it appears that anyone can have a PCR test, and although not infected; be a case. How can that be? Deliberate confusion perhaps? By running the cycles very high[ or normal.

Once the cycles get above 25 the chances that the test will match a sample is greatly increased. At 45 cycles a positive result can be registered by most unusual items; a banana, yogourt and the content found by running the swab on the sole of the shoe.

Some might think that if some dodgy outfit wants high case numbers (note, not infections) they might amplify to over 40; even to 45. But if the WHO suggested figure of 27 amp's be the maximum, then fewer 'cases' will be the result.

So, it depends what these dodgy dealers actually intend. Want to broadcast that 'cases' are on the rise, then run the test at 45 (UK government). But if the plan is to show that measures undertakem are working then 27 amp's is good.

If Mr and Mrs Gull in Bolton have just heard on the BBC, that infections have reached new highs in their area. Then they will probably don a mask, when they venture out, and be quite shocked at seeing others without one on. How could they be so selfish?

Policy seems to be made on the result of the PCR test. Masks, social distancing, reasons for being out etc

All the worms escaped.

I have just spoken to Mr & Mrs Gull in Bolton and they assure me that they are so scared shitless by what they hear on the BBC that they have no intention of venturing outside, ever. I did suggest they turn over to watch  ITV or the new cable TV channel "unmasked" so I hope this helps them. Failing that they will join this forum and discuss the matter with you perhaps, being a self appointed expert on the matter?

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

I have just spoken to Mr & Mrs Gull in Bolton and they assure me that they are so scared shitless by what they hear on the BBC that they have no intention of venturing outside, ever. I did suggest they turn over to watch  ITV or the new cable TV channel "unmasked" so I hope this helps them. Failing that they will join this forum and discuss the matter with you perhaps, being a self appointed expert on the matter?

I'm all for a decent debate.

I just don't care,
I raw dog the Bangkok air,
I ain't no three jab guy,
Don't ask why,
cause' I just wanna get high!

Alpha, lambda or delta,
it's all greek to me,
Just let me be,
Don't ask why,
cause' I just wanna get high!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

It's not very effective. 

image.thumb.png.e268d876cde65004c12b44a5d55e74f2.png

"Nine killed you, nine shall die and be returned your loss, nine times nine! Nine killed you, nine shall die, nine eternities in doom!"

3 hours ago, Faraday said:

Shaving is also mandatory.

"My (Volvo) is smoother than a veal cutlet!" Lana Kane-Archer

• Haha 2

These are the people who are testing for Covid here in Thailand.  If just are truly effective in stopping Covid from being inhaled or exhaled, why are these workers dressed in full Hazardous Material suits. image.thumb.png.f8b261e34616a1058d420759f83497c3.png

Edited by longwood50

11 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

These are the people who are testing for Covid here in Thailand.  If just are truly effective in stopping Covid from being inhaled or exhaled, why are these workers dressed in full Hazardous Material suits. image.thumb.png.f8b261e34616a1058d420759f83497c3.png

To project the arua of seriousness.

Wouldn't want a chap, hair tied back in  a ponytail, dressed in flip-flops, shorts and a T shirt with 'Question everything' printed on the front, doing the jib-jabbin.

Of course what's missing is a sign on his desk saying:

'Welcome to the jabattoir. Best clot shop in town'.

Edited by snapdragon
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

I actually asked my Sister who is a nurse that same question. Can't say if it is the same for the people in the picture, but in her case it was simply the higher rate of risk of being exposed. She has helped man some testing sites around other duties at the hospital.

Higher because the people they were testing had displayed possible symptoms of Covid-19 and so increased risk of infection spreading from them. Apparently a usual PPE practice they are required to employ when the hospital identifies a high risk situation. The have no say in it.

I can't repeat what she felt about non-mask wearing people. Caught her at the end of long day in the ICU with patients on ventilators.

• Like 4

On 8/7/2021 at 8:14 AM, OneAngryJew said:

I cannot help but to feel sorry for the poor people who have been told to wear masks when the majority wear masks that are completely useless.  Anyone with a surgical mask, is not protecting themselves or you.  

So why do it if you aren't going to do it correctly? 

Masks really do not work.  Staying away from other people works. 

I cannot help but to feel sorry for the poor people who listen to listen to this anti-mask propaganda either. 

Anyone with any type of mask on is helping to protect you, more than themselves, by limiting their own releases of respiratory fluids in the form of droplets, which in turn carry much of the infectious Covid 19 virus that is expelled by people. 

Surgical masks are not perfect but better than nothing. N95's are hard to source and many Thai people can't afford them. Do what you can.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

Maybe, I open a can of worms, but if those studies about masks working or not, are based on the outcome of a pcr test, which has been a big topic of debate since the so called "cycles" determine the outcome of the test, can those tests be taken serious?

They are not.

57 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

In my opinion this is nothing more than a show. They're not wearing respirators, they have a face shield and what looks like it might be an and 95 mask. The mask is the most important thing and they're not really wearing masksThe protect them. Look at the second guy in the picture. That looks like a regular surgical mask. It's useless. I'm going out today to get a vaccine, and it will be the Chinese vaccine because I deem it to be the less dangerous of all them. I will wear my 100 respirator and goggles. I wash my hands a lot. When I come home I will strip off all my clothes and put them in the laundry and take shower. The protective clothing that they're wearing seems unnecessary and a waste of resources. They're not engaged in a function where someone would spray them with bodily fluid.

Edited by OneAngryJew
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

27 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

I actually asked my Sister who is a nurse that same question. Can't say if it is the same for the people in the picture, but in her case it was simply the higher rate of risk of being exposed. She has helped man some testing sites around other duties at the hospital.

I would agree that health care workers in general and those workers collecting blood samples from covid tests are more at risk.  However that does not change the fact that either face masks are effective or they are not.   If they are "truly effective" that is all a health care worker would need.   There are those who believe that somehow wearing a face mask both prevents the person from spreading the disease and the person wearing it from contracting it.  

Obviously the health care workers do not believe that since they are wearing full haz mat protection. 

6 minutes ago, Fester said:

I cannot help but to feel sorry for the poor people who listen to listen to this anti-mask propaganda either. 

Anyone with any type of mask on is helping to protect you, more than themselves, by limiting their own releases of respiratory fluids in the form of droplets, which in turn carry much of the infectious Covid 19 virus that is expelled by people. 

Surgical masks are not perfect but better than nothing. N95's are hard to source and many Thai people can't afford them. Do what you can.   

You can feel sorry for them all you want but they are being lied to. Some masks work but most do not. When people are given a false sense of security they tend to take more risks. Feel sorry for those people.

Just now, Transam said:

I feel sorry for those who don't wear a mask in close proximity to others because they think they are special, more intelligent, know it all, etc, etc.......?

I challenge how you know what they are thinking. The short answer is you don't. I wear an N 100 respirator. Do you think I'm protecting you? I am not. I'm protecting myself.

My mask has an exhalation valve. If you're stupid enough to stand next to me, you're getting my exhale which is unknown filtered. On the other hand when I breathe in my mask pulls to my face, because it has a silicon seal. I have a 100% seal so everything I breathe in goes through my mask.

Now I'm more than ready for you to come back and tell me that wearing a surgical mask protects me if someone else is wearing the mask.

Nonsense nonsense nonsense nonsense nonsense

When they exhale, it goes out the path of least resistance. That means since their mask is not sealed, and they have no silicone seal like I do, their exhale goes everywhere as well. No one is protecting anyone. If I want to I can now buy plugs so that my exhale goes out through the mask, specifically the filter.

You are as wrong as you can be.

1 minute ago, Transam said:

I feel sorry for those who don't wear a mask in close proximity to others because they think they are special, more intelligent, know it all, etc, etc.......?

I wear a mask when I go out in the van at night.

Roll of gaffer tape, rope, in the back....

Killing two birds with one stone, you might say: or not.

?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, OneAngryJew said:

I challenge how you know what they are thinking. The short answer is you don't. I wear an N 100 respirator. Do you think I'm protecting you? I am not. I'm protecting myself.

My mask has an exhalation valve. If you're stupid enough to stand next to me, you're getting my exhale which is unknown filtered. On the other hand when I breathe in my mask pulls to my face, because it has a silicon seal. I have a 100% seal so everything I breathe in goes through my mask.

Now I'm more than ready for you to come back and tell me that wearing a surgical mask protects me if someone else is wearing the mask.

Nonsense nonsense nonsense nonsense nonsense

When they exhale, it goes out the path of least resistance. That means since their mask is not sealed, and they have no silicone seal like I do, their exhale goes everywhere as well. No one is protecting anyone. If I want to I can now buy plugs so that my exhale goes out through the mask, specifically the filter.

You are as wrong as you can be.

I think his point was well made. He could have thrown the word "respect" in there for good measure.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 12:10 PM, billywillyjones said:

Whatever happened to all the warnings about transmission from counters, cash, etc. I guess they just want to focus all the sheeple on wearing masks to show their blind obedience.  The likelihood of getting it from a simple cash exchange at the 711 is highly likely.  In order to be fully protected from such a transmissible virus you would need to wear a full body suit and go through a spray chamber every time including watch, money clothing everything.  

Sounds about all you could expect from anyone - but there is no claim that a simple mask will fully protect.

Edited by Fester

Just now, Chaimai said:

I think his point was well made. He could have thrown the word "respect" in there for good measure.

You're not responsible for me. I'm not responsible for you. Stop this deluded thought process that any of you are altruistic. I think some of you should listen to Ayn Rand  on altruism. I do know that it's philosophy and it might be above most of you but you should give it a listen anyway.

3 minutes ago, Faraday said:

I wear a mask when I go out in the van at night.

Roll of gaffer tape, rope, in the back....

Killing two birds with one stone, you might say: or not.

?

Got a stripey T shirt and a swag bag too?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

You can feel sorry for them all you want but they are being lied to. Some masks work but most do not. When people are given a false sense of security they tend to take more risks. Feel sorry for those people.

The one I feel most sorry for is you. 

21 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

There are those who believe that somehow wearing a face mask both prevents the person from spreading the disease and the person wearing it from contracting it.  

Obviously the health care workers do not believe that since they are wearing full haz mat protection. 

I just explained to you that my mask has exhalation valves. Now you may think that I'm a very bad man, and on thinking of my fellow human beings, and you'd be right on one count, that I'm not thinking of my fellow human beings.

This presupposes that those who are wearing a surgical mask or cloth mask have their fellow human beings in their thoughts at all times. If they do, they must be stupid. Stupid people are dangerous, because they put others at risk. Why are they stupid? I don't know. I have exhalation valves, and those numb nuts also have exhalation valves although there's are much cruder than mine because mine only work one way. When they exhale it goes through the path of least resistance which is usually the top of the mask because it's not sealed to the face. The problem with surgical masks is that what goes out also comes in. When you breathe in some of it might go through that surgical mask but I would say most of it goes through the gaps.

The level of stupidity I think, is based upon whether smart people can understand that very simple concept.

• Like 1