UPDATE: Suspect in Swiss murder in Phuket is a Thai man

Thaiger

Making statements out of pure speculation from the police,news media, should have consequences especially if they are not substantiated by facts . Termination of these employees representing law enforcement or news agencies is warranted for falsely accusing someone in their comments !

12 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I've been puzzling over that images as well.  I went to Google images and I am pretty certain I found the location where the Bangkok Post posted CCTV image was taken.  Somewhere around: 7.82078, 98.38981

I note that time 10:01:12. If one looks at the sun shade on the road, that time if local time makes no sense to me, unless the CCTV time is UTC time (ie 7 hour difference). If UTC time it would be 17:01:12 and then the sun shade makes more sense for the time (although I would need to visit the exact spot at that time to be certain).  If I have the perspective correct, it shows him driving north, I think, toward the crime scene.

So why is he driving on the wrong side of the road? Its against the law! < gasp >

Has anyone, ever, ever, seen a local driver drive on the wrong side of the road? Ever?  ... Hmm ....  

As for the camera - I could not find the camera on the Google image although I note there is a telephone pole where I suspect the camera should be (in a Google map image).  The Google map image capture date of September-2018 is a few years old , so possibly it is not up to date.  ...   Or possibly the resolution of the image of the telephone pole is not good enough for me to recognize a camera or I don't know what the CCTV camera looks like (probably the explanation).

Regardless, I am pretty certain I know where that image was taken - which obviously (to me) proves nothing to me.

At most, I guess, it lets the authorities know of someone in the area around 5pm local time (I assuming I am correct about UTC time), matching the description of the person on the motorbike.  Maybe another CCTV image caught a licence plate ?  ... or have better images of the person at a different time (say an hour later), looking more disheveled?  Wild speculation on my part. We simply don't have the information.

If the CCTV does lead the authorities to capture the real criminal then that is good news.  I guess we need to wait to find out.

Just a qualifying note - the above is VERY speculative on my part - and it needs to be treated as such ... ie with LOTS of salt.

I am impressed with the level of detail you went into . Are you a detective by any chance ? However I must pull you up on one thing. When I visited the same site and you know when you mention the telephone pole, you know the ones they don't have in Thailand 'cos they use the electric posts for running their comms, anyway, when I looked it appeared to show a bloody great dog peeing up that post which you never mentioned. Could it have been the suspect dressed up in a pantomime costume to fool people ?

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

...  when I looked it appeared to show a bloody great dog peeing up that post which you never mentioned. Could it have been the suspect dressed up in a pantomime costume to fool people ?

Was the dog wearing combat fatigues ? ... and the dog had recently stepped out of a TV set tuned to the Disney channel or some Sci-Fi channel?  ?  If so - Maybe .  ?  ... If not - well - I think we all know the answer there. ?

• Haha 1

Just now, oldcpu said:

Was the dog wearing combat fatigues ? ... and the dog had recently stepped out of a TV set tuned to the Disney channel or some Sci-Fi channel?  ?  If so - Maybe .  ?  ... If not - well - I think we all know the answer there. ?

Now you mention it ?

4 hours ago, Shark said:

you didn't follow the Koh Tao news it appears... guess @colinneilwas referring to this.

Koh Tao 'Murder Island'  The biggest fish story yet- propagated by a click bait motivated Samui Times newspaper owner, an American  woman of some not inconsequential mental disturbances and a condo lawyer out of Perth I think it was. And then there was Drummond stirring up the whole stink'n pile for more clicks. Disgraceful what that  cabal  put the  families through- later ones,  too. I get the names of the two Myanmar men mixed up,  I do believe one was  innocent of the murders, but when you're around on a crime, you get charged, too- the other was not- and a young woman  was found also mutilated near his home village  not long before he  left for Thai Island life. Their death sentences were commuted to life not too long ago- Hannah and David are still dead.   

Edited by ChristyS

1 hour ago, gummy said:

I am impressed with the level of detail you went into .

Just a further note - I am not convinced I have the perspective correct in my 'analysis'. Every time I look at it I come up with a different assessment. So for me to say take what I posted initially with a grain of salt is likely an understatement. 

My latest look has me thinking the image time is actually 10:01am local in the morning, with him driving north, the image looking south and the sunshade to the left means the sun is south east (consistent with 10:01 am in the morning).  

So again this is speculative.  This really needs to be left to the professionals.  They likely have very better information not released to the press.

Edited by oldcpu

3 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

i smell fish here, not orchids . Thai man? Not possible, he has to have at least 20% of some other dirty blood. And sorry, when i was 27 i would not get easily aroused by even at 27 year old woman.

Gay ?

• Haha 1

Wherever there are tourists, there are always locals ready to scam and willing to harm...anywhere in the world. It's something you must be cognizant of when you travel. Not victim blaming but tourists anywhere need to be on-guard and make good decisions about where and how to travel. #1...don't go alone, especially remote and not very busy places.

Edited by Blogosopher
grammar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I've been puzzling over that images as well.  I went to Google images and I am pretty certain I found the location where the Bangkok Post posted CCTV image was taken.  Somewhere around: 7.82078, 98.38981

I note that time 10:01:12. If one looks at the sun shade on the road, that time if local time makes no sense to me, unless the CCTV time is UTC time (ie 7 hour difference). If UTC time it would be 17:01:12 and then the sun shade makes more sense for the time (although I would need to visit the exact spot at that time to be certain).  If I have the perspective correct, it shows him driving north, I think, toward the crime scene.

So why is he driving on the wrong side of the road? Its against the law! < gasp >

Has anyone, ever, ever, seen a local driver drive on the wrong side of the road? Ever?  ... Hmm ....  

As for the camera - I could not find the camera on the Google image although I note there is a telephone pole where I suspect the camera should be (in a Google map image).  The Google map image capture date of September-2018 is a few years old , so possibly it is not up to date.  ...   Or possibly the resolution of the image of the telephone pole is not good enough for me to recognize a camera or I don't know what the CCTV camera looks like (probably the explanation).

Regardless, I am pretty certain I know where that image was taken - which obviously (to me) proves nothing to me.

At most, I guess, it lets the authorities know of someone in the area around 5pm local time (I assuming I am correct about UTC time), matching the description of the person on the motorbike.  Maybe another CCTV image caught a licence plate ?  ... or have better images of the person at a different time (say an hour later), looking more disheveled?  Wild speculation on my part. We simply don't have the information.

If the CCTV does lead the authorities to capture the real criminal then that is good news.  I guess we need to wait to find out.

Just a qualifying note - the above is VERY speculative on my part - and it needs to be treated as such ... ie with LOTS of salt.

You would think they would have an image of the suspect riding the opposite direction as well. Unless he rode his scooter through the forest to get away.

A wound on the suspect, apparently sustained whilst he was attempting to rape the lady, and he slipped on a rock:

eLXo0fM.jpg

FdbSajl.jpg

1 minute ago, Lowseasonlover said:

A wound on the suspect, apparently sustained whilst he was attempting to rape the lady, and he slipped on a rock:

eLXo0fM.jpg

FdbSajl.jpg

that drink on the seat, is that "iced" coffee ? on drugs then perhaps ?

The fact of the possible perp looking at the camera almost gives him away...paranoia?

As if he was looking for cams that might incriminate him....doesnt seem like normal behavior on a mbike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They caught him very quickly then ...

Bravo RTP !

On capital crimes , they really do a good job here in Thailand .

( if there is no thai 'person of influence ' or ' hi so ' , involved , of course ... )

Edited by Nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, oldcpu said:

What scheme?  ...  Why would they have a scheme to blame a Burmese if not guilty, and leave a murderer to potentially attack people (locals, tourists, expats) again in this Phuket neighborhood?

Kudos to the Thai authorities for allowing some Swiss Police observation as to the investigation.   Hopefully the forensic results will support what takes place subsequently.

I live in this neighborhood, so if indeed this is a local who committed the crime, I am very glad to see that he has been caught.   .... 

Supposedly no official announcement yet - and then even after such, one needs to wait for a court to decide.

How long have you lived in Thailand?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim68 said:

How long have you lived in Thailand?  

Not that its relevant. First visit, 1990.  First started living here 1997.

Are you cynical about this?  

I share the view of this PhuketNews article opinion article:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-how-to-catch-a-killer-80972.php

Note also, in this case, there was a Swiss Police observer involved in the investigation.  How often do you recall that being done in Thailand?

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

Remember Ko Tao? "Thai people are not doing something like this!" Wasn't that a statement by the Prayut government that time? Anyway, Police has secured a confession through intensive interrogation. I wonder if there was a lawyer around (rhetorical question). Long story short, Thai law enforcement doesn't have a reputation for telling the truth. A culprit was urgently needed, so there is one. By incidence he's penniless and can't afford to cause any problem therefore inconsistencies in the evidence are not relevant. How convenient. Case closed, no further investigation required, now is time to get a medal.

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Not that its relevant. First visit, 1990.  First started living here 1997.

Are you cynical about this?  

I share the view of this PhuketNews article opinion article:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-how-to-catch-a-killer-80972.php

Note also, in this case, there was a Swiss Police observer involved in the investigation.  How often do you recall that being done in Thailand?

There was English police here in Kho Tao