So has ASEAN NOW bitten the dust?

cowslip

I'll wait and see....... don't trust them. They were clearly being very evasive about what the problem was - this is clearly a matter of concern for a site that has people's details.

37 minutes ago, cowslip said:

I'll wait and see....... don't trust them. They were clearly being very evasive about what the problem was - this is clearly a matter of concern for a site that has people's details.

Stickman will have the gen,on Sunday.

13 hours ago, QECE said:

As we recall, it's been up for sale for a few months now and I'm sure that still stands. Wondering if Dan will recoup even close to what he paid for it. Even George to to the rescue couldn't salvage it's long reputation and history.

Any idea how much he wants for it? I take it that George still owns it.

On 11/22/2023 at 3:43 PM, yselmike said:

If you post on a public forum we will reply.You may not get a reply that you like.

So you are an Embassy employee eh?  I'll block you on that alone. I've got nothing to say to you and you sure haven't got anything to say to me. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 4:28 AM, Britanicus said:

Know anything about Rimmer (snigger) on the darkside and Charlie H (vindictive sod) ? Then there was the Thai visa mod who killed his girl friend and stuffed her in a wheelie bin, forget his name, might still be in prison

Katabeachbum was the  barrel man. He had been a medical student for 2 years and I remember being in Phuket when the press described him as a "doctor" and of course the idiotic rumors of Dr. jekyll/Mr. Hyde popped up.

Oh yes indeed, CharlieH gave the impression of being vindictive. You picked the right adjective for him. Did not strike me as particularly bright. 

• Like 1

AN still have some nasty mods getting away with sh*t and baiting, and if you dare to answer and humiliate publicly their response for being wrong or plain stupid, you get a nice warning and a ban :p

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 8:00 PM, Sticky said:

There was a retired physiologist on TT back in the day. He was driven out by moderation who didn't like his stance on covid..

A self proclaimed physiologist.  One of the weaknesses of an open website that does not vet credentials is that one does not know for sure if someone truly is who he claims to be.  

On 11/22/2023 at 7:36 PM, longwood50 said:

I use to follow Asean now daily.  However over the past year I will check in every once in a while perhaps make some comments, get blasted because I am a conservative and then avoid the site for several weeks. 

The site is blantantly biased liberal.  The moderators would allow patently false information that was liberal biased in headlines and comments but then remove posts that they didn't agree with either terming them trolling or not accurate. 

Certain people like Jinthing must spend every waking moment on the site proclaiming their liberal mantra and gay rights discrimination pity party. 

In terms of being helpful, there were a few rare occasions where I would use the forum to seek out an answer that was perhaps medical or visa related and get a meaningful answer.  However most of the time the answers were really not answers but rather empty rhetoric I guess designed to see their own name in print. 

One of the  weirdest issues that TVF faced was the accusation of "bias". Some would claim too liberal, while others would say too "conservative". It was entirely dependent on the mod. Some of them were extremist in either direction if only to start a fight and to wield their power.  I would offer that the forum reflected the views of the elderly white males who moderated. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Oh yes indeed, CharlieH gave the impression of being vindictive. You picked the right adjective for him. Did not strike me as particularly bright. 

Interestingly, although we crossed swords on a couple of occasions, I actually found Charlie H to be the best one of all of them,  That's not saying much of course, but not as bad as some. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

If you use Brave Browser, it will block ads automatically.

Thanks for that, but I won't be going back there anyway. 

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

So you are an Embassy employee eh?  I'll block you on that alone. I've got nothing to say to you and you sure haven't got anything to say to me. 

Actually old bean I am a retired cook,living in the Netherlands.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, butterfly said:

AN still have some nasty mods getting away with sh*t and baiting, and if you dare to answer and humiliate publicly their response for being wrong or plain stupid, you get a nice warning and a ban :p

There is a couple of them in the football threads, I stopped posting or participating because of them I'm guessing a lot of other guys did the same, gone never to come back, the mods were crossing the line

22 minutes ago, Vigo said:

A self proclaimed physiologist.  One of the weaknesses of an open website that does not vet credentials is that one does not know for sure if someone truly is who he claims to be.  

One of the  weirdest issues that TVF faced was the accusation of "bias". Some would claim too liberal, while others would say too "conservative". It was entirely dependent on the mod. Some of them were extremist in either direction if only to start a fight and to wield their power.  I would offer that the forum reflected the views of the elderly white males who moderated. 

I did happen to meet one years ago, my mistake I did mention where I was going for Christmas dinner in thread, it was your typical bar stool farang who looked like he had worn the same shirt for a week, I gave him five minutes to FO, my wife asked me is he a friend of yours, Nope was they reply, suk muk farang 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Thanks for that, but I won't be going back there anyway. 

I just had a look as it is back online. Same knobheads posting 5hite, so I shall not bother.

I wonder if real helpers like Crossey and the doctor lady will be back.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

"I would offer that the forum reflected the views of the elderly white males who moderated."

I have met young, black females who were complete morons, as is the case of the Asean Now mods. Their ethnicity, age and gender, while not insignificant, don't define their personality. In fact, "elderly white male" are terms coined and used by immigrationist, woke leftists and have a deep political meaning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

I just had a look as it is back online. Same knobheads posting 5hite, so I shall not bother.

I wonder if real helpers like Crossey and the doctor lady will be back.

She was a nurse, not a doctor and not always right with her advice.  Two areas of 'advice' to avoid on forums, financial and medical.  You have no idea who you are corresponding with and what qualifications they have to give advice on these two crucial areas.  

• Like 5

On 11/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, Fluke said:

Yinn left and one of the abusive posters announced that he had become a moderator here and all the new posters left en masse .

Too much time spent on a bench young Flukey. 

Yinn was fake. Period.

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

She was a nurse, not a doctor and not always right with her advice.  Two areas of 'advice' to avoid on forums, financial and medical.  You have no idea who you are corresponding with and what qualifications they have to give advice on these two crucial areas.  

I recall her telling a guy she did not know that there was "no harm in taking a 5th Covid jab".

• Haha 1

You lot are as thin skinned as the locals. Lighten up. It's only a forum. Argue over details for visas, etc sure but dragging some blokes over the coals for their sexual or lifestyle proclivities while on a THAI forum is a bit ludicrous imho.

Do you old farts need a step stool to mount your high horses or you lot can still manage on your own?

So tragic for Thai people to be forced to tolerate farang 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, McTavish said:

Yinn was fake. Period.

I wasn't bothered or concerned about whether Yinn was Male, Female or a Ladyboy or what Country she/he/it came from , I just enjoyed reading Yinns posts .

I have no idea what gender ot Nationality that you are and that doesn't bother me either.

IMO , there were a few people  involved in the Yinn handle , a Thai Female and a felang 

8 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

"I would offer that the forum reflected the views of the elderly white males who moderated."

I have met young, black females who were complete morons, as is the case of the Asean Now mods. Their ethnicity, age and gender, while not insignificant, don't define their personality. In fact, "elderly white male" are terms coined and used by immigrationist, woke leftists and have a deep political meaning.

I recall her telling a guy she did not know that there was "no harm in taking a 5th Covid jab".

You are attaching your own biased labels and assumptions to a factual statement. It was a fact that the vast majority of moderators at TVF were older "European" ethnic  males. Their ethnicity, age and gender most definitely influenced their opinions.  As an illustration, the older gay males moderators were particularly sensitive to the bullying comments and would sometimes over react to what younger people would ignore as a manifestation of ignorance. I could understand why they were like that, as they had lived through a period when it was probably still criminal to be gay. Another had been blue collar worker lifted right out of the  stereotypical Archie Bunker mentality stereotype. He could only see his world from his jaundiced perspective. I am the farthest thing from being a "woke leftist". I deal in facts and the fact is that how we conduct ourselves in life, whether it is on an internet forum, or in a workplace, reflects who we are.

And no there is no harm in having a Covid booster. I had 2 initial and 3 boosters. I have had Covid 2X. The vaccines kept me out of hospital and I believe saved my life during my 2nd infection. I will be getting my 6th dose shortly.  I expect you are one of the people who see a conspiracy in the Covid vaccines and that says it all for me. I worked 12-14 hour days 6 days a week, and gave up my vacations at the peak of covid. The vaccines allowed my work life to go back to "normal" and saved the western economies. This too is a fact, for many of us.

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Thank you for reminding folks. And boy could she be off the the mark at times.  She had her own personal bias and sometimes overstepped her education. In fairness to her, it wasn't easy responding to some of the dumbest of dumb questions, but she was all some of these people had.

7 hours ago, McTavish said:

Yinn was fake. Period.

Yes, Yinn was someone's creation.  I thought it was just some collection of university boys and girls having a chuckle, or some online comedian troll group. After all, I had a friend in uni who would call in to religious prayer lines on TV and give the best stories about how he was possessed by satan or some other nonsense. He would leave us in tears, laughing away. 

I remember Donna the Mod who started the phuket restaurant  recommendations. She was a hotelier or something in hospitality - A patient and kindhearted soul.  The running joke we had was that many times when we would get around to one of her thread's recommendations, the ownership had changed or the place had closed. 😁   I think she moved to Bali to manage a hotel there.  

5 hours ago, Fluke said:

What proof do you have of that ?

The nature of the comments and the format all suggested a creation. I am agreeing with the common sentiment and do not possess any inside information. Either that or else it was Sybil of 16 personalities fame, manifesting herself. Perhaps Jingthing the (self described) former male prostitute reliving his glory days in California.     I recall that Yinn was a character from what? 5 years ago, so my memory is somewhat hazy . I honestly have not dedicated my life to the characters of TVF and only recently visited the website when I heard of its problems. Last time before that was maybe 2 years ago. I have neither  name, nor password so I can't really do much there. I used to visit to see who died. That's one thing about TVF: Someone was always dying or in a financial jam or needing help on SinSod. Whenever, forums were dragging a sin sod thread would appear. The ChiangMai people were usually the classiest with their running thread on the deceased. I don't think anyone who was there 15 years ago is still active. I think Covid really decimated its readership. Not a surprise either since so many were retirees age 55-75, and a lifestyle of drinking, smoking + 15 years will keep the grave diggers busy and incinerators burning bright. 

• Like 2