So has ASEAN NOW bitten the dust?

cowslip

52 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Hold on mate. You are the one that started this.  If you need to join a forum, then meet with its members,  to find your friends, I call that socially weird.   Sounds like those other Pattaya based forums, where mongers meet for joint bar runs. I call that a meeting of very weird people. 

It used to be quite common when the internet first came about , there used to be small localised online  groups based on sport or music or whatever and they just talk online about the team or band or whatever and quite often everyone would meet up in real life before games or concerts . 

Although I haven't been in one of those groups for about 15 years or so and I couldn't imagine doing it now 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Moderators have a thankless task but some manage to maintain the thin line between moderator and stand up guy , TT have managed to find a decent bunch of guys, but that wasn’t always the case, they learned their lesson after the “ Trans “ guy got made up !!

Unfortunately AN refused to see the problem with their power tripping moderators ( obviously mods like Crossy and Sheryl etc are exempt from my theory ) and their heavy handed tactics brought the level of the forum right down. Recently it has been farcical with endless ridiculous topics about any subject that popped into their tiny brained heads. This, I believe, was their downfall, they went for quantity rather than quality, George was brought in to try and save Dan the Cheese’s forum but it was too late, even a topic from George discussing moderation was allowed but it, as usual, went downhill as the bickering increased.

Was it a coincidence that the forum went offline just as it was descending into a never seen before level of indecency/tediosity/uneducated nonsense or have they decided to take a break so the chavs and bogans seek refuge elsewhere ?

Well, the number of new members to Teakdoor has surely risen !!

Perhaps we can get a vibrant footy section up and running again.

I nominate you for footy mod.

40 minutes ago, Sticky said:

Perhaps we can get a vibrant footy section up and running again.

I nominate you for footy mod.

Over the years the football threads were very active lots of good knowledgeable guys on there, now it's died of a slow death, if in my case brought on by a couple of mod's who thought they could do and say what they wanted and pissing people of, like me in the end I'm out of here, constant bickering and trying to belittle people, 

As for here on TT I don't know what happened, please don't let them clowns from AN move on here.

• Like 2

I agree with you about moderation on TV/AN.

As for TT, there was a footy section, and it was well populated. There is still a TT league on Premier League.

I think moderation on a footy thread should be a little different. A few times a mod would visit (on AN/TV) and ban posters who were simply doing banter. So a footy mod would come from the footy crowd. IMO.

I use to follow Asean now daily.  However over the past year I will check in every once in a while perhaps make some comments, get blasted because I am a conservative and then avoid the site for several weeks. 

The site is blantantly biased liberal.  The moderators would allow patently false information that was liberal biased in headlines and comments but then remove posts that they didn't agree with either terming them trolling or not accurate. 

Certain people like Jinthing must spend every waking moment on the site proclaiming their liberal mantra and gay rights discrimination pity party. 

In terms of being helpful, there were a few rare occasions where I would use the forum to seek out an answer that was perhaps medical or visa related and get a meaningful answer.  However most of the time the answers were really not answers but rather empty rhetoric I guess designed to see their own name in print. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Fluke said:

Our Website is Coming Back Soon

We're working hard to finish the development of this site.

Dramatically reduced ads and the pathetic poster league of trolls will have been removed!😀

21 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

In terms of being helpful, there were a few rare occasions where I would use the forum to seek out an answer that was perhaps medical or visa related and get a meaningful answer.  However most of the time the answers were really not answers but rather empty rhetoric I guess designed to see their own name in print.

There was a retired physiologist on TT back in the day. He was driven out by moderation who didn't like his stance on covid..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 1000YearVampire said:

Yeah, ASEAN Now wasn't all bad, the moderator of/resident expert on visa stuff, the late Ubonjoe, springs to mind.

Yes, he was excellent and a very useful source of information in my early days here, when it was still Thai Visa.  The rest of it went down hill from around 2008 when all the Mods got a God complex, adverts ruined the display and opinions were heavily sanctioned if they didn't agree with the owners.  It's best if it stays dead. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Dramatically reduced ads and the pathetic poster league of trolls will have been removed!😀

It's back - and about as fast as an arthritic snail at the moment.  Hopefully will improve.

Per Asian Now:

"Dear Members,

The forum has been down for approx 6 days due to a cyber attack on the datacenter in USA where we were hosting parts of the forum, which is now mitigated. We have since migrated to another datacenter.

No content or user data has been lost or compromised. We apologize for this downtime inconvenience.

We are unable to explain the tech details due to security policy, and we are unable to answer questions about it."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

It has just risen from the grave and is back on-line,,,

Can't find it.  Is there a new link. The old one still shows " Community Not Found.

2 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Can't find it.  Is there a new link. The old one still shows " Community Not Found.

same link for me, but it's only half working

13 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

AseanNow site is on-line again but dreadfully slow.

> https://aseannow.com/

Slow? Why? - I would be concerned about its safety. THry claimed they were getting more power.

Let's wait and see if they come up with an explanation or an announcement of some kind.

THey are meant to be an information site about Thailand yet they can't even give a plausible explanation about themselves.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 2:41 AM, Vigo said:

CDNVic: This was a nasty guy. Just plain mean and condescending too.  I had the impression that he would intentionally provoke some members just so he could suspend or ban them. He is apparently from Victoria, BC, Canada. That explains a lot about his mindset. Victoria is like Century village retirement gated community for angry white people.

oh yeah, remember that one, a complete nutter, was very nasty, and would bait just to wield his mod power. 

I think he was a mod on TD for a while 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doctormann said:

It's back - and about as fast as an arthritic snail at the moment.  Hopefully will improve.

Yes its back, very slow and the same old ads problem.  I've logged out and I don't see any reason to return. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Yes its back, very slow and the same old ads problem.  I've logged out and I don't see any reason to return. 

Same here after many many years as a valued member....or so they told me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

It has just risen from the grave and is back on-line,,,

More than likely won't be the same.

Remaining technical glitches will turn many off as will their continued oppressive policies.

Lost too many contributors permanently and loss of advertising revenue dropped off.

As we recall, it's been up for sale for a few months now and I'm sure that still stands. Wondering if Dan will recoup even close to what he paid for it. Even George to to the rescue couldn't salvage it's long reputation and history.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

If you use Brave Browser, it will block ads automatically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1