News Forum - Over 50% of Gen Z in Asia, and world, suffers with poor mental health

Thaiger

The latest findings from the annual AXA Study of Mind Health and Wellbeing 2023 have revealed that over 50% of Gen Z (aged 18-24) suffers from poor mental health in Asia, and across the globe. Around the world, 53% of Gen Z is experiencing poor mental health, according to the survey. The survey reported that …

The story Over 50% of Gen Z in Asia, and world, suffers with poor mental health as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thank you to social media, mobile phones and perhaps a little help from a regime restrictive government they don't want and cannot get away from? It is more of a dog eat dog world and the cost of the wants from these kids is higher while the wages remain low leaving most things unattainable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Thank you to social media, mobile phones and perhaps a little help from a regime restrictive government they don't want and cannot get away from? It is more of a dog eat dog world and the cost of the wants from these kids is higher while the wages remain low leaving most things unattainable.

It's not just Thailand.   Synthetic drugs and social media the 2 worst offenders IMO.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

It's not just Thailand.   Synthetic drugs and social media the 2 worst offenders IMO.

I'd switch the order but you're spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

They all need to get off their phones, get their noses out of Facebook, TikTok and all the other social media crap occasionaly, chill out and smoke a bit of weed. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Synthetic drugs? What do you mean? Like fentanyl? 

I can add in that everything is becoming critical of saying something that hurts feelings as cannot joke because everyone is sensitive. The a-wo-k-e brain dead no backbone generation. But it's not only them, its the next older gen or two up the ladder. I am able to see things through my kids eyes as they are in this Gen Z, but may I happily say hardly disturbed. World has always been hard, just need to find your niche and direction, or pick a niche and then afterwards find a better direction.

19 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Synthetic drugs? What do you mean? Like fentanyl? 

Methamphetamines - Yaba, Ice, whatever's cheap and plentiful. 

I doubt medical drugs like fentanyl go cheaply on Asian markets, even cocaine (not a synthetic), is not so much of a problem among young Asians.

• Like 1

I blame two things. Helicopter parenting and the medicalisation of society; where minor things like feeling a flat requires some form of medical label and a subsequent  clinical intervention. All aided and abetted by the pharmaceutical industry.

Edited by Khunmark
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Methamphetamines - Yaba, Ice, whatever's cheap and plentiful. 

I doubt medical drugs like fentanyl go cheaply on Asian markets, even cocaine (not a synthetic), is not so much of a problem among young Asians.

Fentanyl is not medical. Yaba is still not synthetic. I think we need to redefine the term synthetic. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Fentanyl is not medical. Yaba is still not synthetic. I think we need to redefine the term synthetic. 

Some opioids are indeed synthetic. But please name them.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Fentanyl is a FDA approved pain killer, a synthetic drug akin to morphine and very much abused in the USA, less so elsewhere especially in Asia where it's less readily available and probably too expensive.

Methamphetamine as yaba, ice or whatever form, is a synthetic product > https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publications/drug-profiles/methamphetamine_en

Read more HERE about organic -v- synthetic drugs, the latter being those most widely distributed in our region due to the low cost.

• Like 1

It is easy excuse to blame social media. Older people are just as addicted. It started with bad parenting.  These are the children of the glam metal,  big hair, herpes, synthetic clothing, disco era. That was the era  that celebrated vapidness and stupidity. If you have forgotten take a look at social and fashion trends from the 1970-1980 period. Is it any wonder then that the era's generation would produce such messed up offspring? The parents were tripping on all sorts of chemicals damaging their chromosomes. The end result is damaged progeny.   Nothing killed brain cells faster than disco mixed with pcp, qualudes, cocaine and other chemicals.  

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Vigo said:

It is easy excuse to blame social media. Older people are just as addicted. It started with bad parenting.  These are the children of the glam metal,  big hair, herpes, synthetic clothing, disco era. That was the era  that celebrated vapidness and stupidity. If you have forgotten take a look at social and fashion trends from the 1970-1980 period. Is it any wonder then that the era's generation would produce such messed up offspring? The parents were tripping on all sorts of chemicals damaging their chromosomes. The end result is damaged progeny.   Nothing killed brain cells faster than disco mixed with pcp, qualudes, cocaine and other chemicals.  

You sound like you are a hoot at parties!

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Sounds much more like an old fogy.

I fail to see the connection between the styles, music and STDs of the disco generation to the screen and social media addicted generation.  That's a "jumped the shark" bit of reasoning.

It would appear that Vigo didn't have a good time in the 70s.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:08 PM, Thaiger said:

The latest findings from the annual AXA Study of Mind Health and Wellbeing 2023 have revealed that over 50% of Gen Z (aged 18-24) suffers from poor mental health in Asia, and across the globe. Around the world, 53% of Gen Z is experiencing poor mental health, according to the survey. The survey reported that …

The story Over 50% of Gen Z in Asia, and world, suffers with poor mental health as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The time my kids start their day is usually when I get off work.😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

So that's your conclusion because I  won't  join the parade of blaming  the young people for circumstances that were not of their making. It's a cheap cop out to blame the victims. It's not their fault their parents were terrible. If they were not taught right for wrong and were not given a moral compass, shown how to behave responsibly,  they can't be entirely blamed.

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Sounds much more like an old fogy.

I fail to see the connection between the styles, music and STDs of the disco generation to the screen and social media addicted generation.  That's a "jumped the shark" bit of reasoning.

It would appear that Vigo didn't have a good time in the 70s.

Think some more. The 1970's generation are probably the most shallow of western generations that exist between the 1920's and the current generation. You are quick to bame the kids of today for "social media addiction" when the reality is that the age group most likely to rely on social media are ages 25-40. (I can dig out the data, but it follows the workplace emphasis on emails, MS Teams, Zoom meetings etc.) My point is that  laying the cause of social dysfunction at the doorstep of social media use is just a way to avoid dealing with the root cause, which was poor parenting. Brain damaged shallow people in their velour safari suits, and their synthetic fiber shiny shirts fornicated and gave us damaged kids. How could anyone argue that something good is associated with the generation that produced these kids? It was the era of Keith Moon choking to death on his vomit, Keith Richards as a junkie, Studio 54 and its imitators,. It wasn't just the west, because the 1970's was the era of  uncontrolled debauchery and savagery that ignored the horrors of the Cambodian killing Fields, the savagery of multiple conflicts in Africa and SE Asia that set the foundation for most of today's conflicts, the brutality of the. South Korean dictatorship that seriously screwed up a generation and some of the most horrific of clashes in the middle east and Afghanistan/Iran.

All this to say that the generation being blamed is the product of some seriously screwed up people. So dismissing me as an old fogy is ridiculous since, it is the old farts blaming the kids.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

(I can dig out the data, but it follows the workplace emphasis on emails, MS Teams, Zoom meetings etc.)

While those and similar programs and applications are internet-based, they aren't social media and they aren't what has denigrated the mental health of the generation we are speaking of here.

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

All this to say that the generation being blamed is the product of some seriously screwed up people. So dismissing me as an old fogy is ridiculous since, it is the old farts blaming the kids.

They may be the product of the people of the 70's but it's the social media; first Facebook and Snapchat, Instagram and now TikTok that we are talking about,  not who spawned these people but the actual agents of their mental health downfall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

While those and similar programs and applications are internet-based, they aren't social media and they aren't what has denigrated the mental health of the generation we are speaking of here.

They may be the product of the people of the 70's but it's the social media; first Facebook and Snapchat, Instagram and now TikTok that we are talking about,  not who spawned these people but the actual agents of their mental health downfall.

Social media isn't defined by the platform itself, but on how it is used. It is also subject to regional differentiation. 

Let's look at the USA stats as an illustration.   https://www.statista.com/statistics/1337525/us-distribution-leading-social-media-platforms-by-age-group/#:~:text=As of August 2022%2C 29,a third of all users.

There is a false assumption that Facebook is populated by the under 25 year old demographic. On the contrary, it is favoured by older people. In common parlance, Facebook is lame, it is done. Although Tik Tok is popular with the 18-29 age group, it has some  hefty demographics with the  30-39 year olds.  All this to say, is that some people are making  conclusions based upon their own bias. Yes, 18-24 year olds are social media savvy, but their reliance upon the platforms is no more significant than  that of 24-40 year olds. To conclude that the emotional problems of the 18-24  is due in large part to social media, isn't just wrong because the  data doesn't support that claim, but ignores the uncomfortable truth that they had  some of the worst parenting in eons. Their parents were products of the 1970's, an era of shallow selfishness, greed and savage hedonism not seen since the collapse of the Roman Empire.  There is a reason why it was called the ME DECADE, and the poor offspring were its victims of  absent incompetent damaged parenting.