News Forum - Russian invasion spreads to Thailand’s paradise islands

Thaiger

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Dunno, but seems like some people here have a great proclivity to complain about Thai this and Thai that. Maybe better they look for somewhere more suited to their moral compass....if it's that bad! 

😂😂. Such a pathetic way to express an opinion. If you don’t like the Thais then why be here. Wish I had a 100 baht for every time someone with weak discussion skills used that ejector seat line 😂😂

I have no problem with Thais but I do have a problem with the corrupt and two faced policies of the Thai government. But let’s not discuss it, just accept it or leave. What a progressive world you would have created with an attitude like that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Manu said:

I agree with the first sentence but the second...

"...you, maybe, I, certainly, but the vast majority do not benefit from capitalism, they just work and are given food, shelter and a couple of useless toys in exchange so to give them the impression of life and freedom, all the benefits of capitalism are only going to a few - this is the essence of capitalism: not sharing, keeping it all with as much control on population as possible in order to do so."

Ok, I will rephrase it, people can benefit from capitalism if they are willing to get off their arses and work hard, for those who want to sit about waiting for toys to be handed out then they get what they want.

I remember when I was working in Berlin a few years after the wall had been removed, I came across a few former East Berliners who were complaining about living in the West as jobs and ''security'' had been provided for them in their former lives and now it was everyone for themselves which they did not like.

10 minutes ago, Manu said:

... and such system has been imposed to European Empires in declin and then eventually taken over or simply replaced by the US Empire, who after second World war were completely and conveniently ready for it and indeed did exactly so. Now it is the US Empire that is declin. Who's next? China? (well certainly not this poor Europe...). Or most likely, with all the new technologies and nuclear power more ready to be used than ever, a big global clash and the end of it. This science fiction scenario has never felt so real than now... And us, people of general populations, wether we are from the so called democraty of the "free" Western world, animated robots of the CCP, imprisoned opposition and nationalists alike from Russia and everybody else, as usual we will suffer the same consequences with no other option than comptemplating the end of it, created by the same who told us separtely that they do all this for our own good, wether we "freely" voted for them or had no choice than to watch them taken the power by other means.

The writing has been on the wall for a few decades now, China will take over as the new world power and will encapsulate many Asian countries in its sphere, the West has had its day, these things happen every few hundred/thousand years.

It won't happen overnight and not in my lifetime but it will happen.

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The writing has been on the wall for a few decades now, China will take over as the new world power and will encapsulate many Asian countries in its sphere, the West has had its day, these things happen every few hundred/thousand years.

It won't happen overnight and not in my lifetime but it will happen.

No. The west (where the money is) is increasingly becoming wary of China and its rhetoric. 

Western companies are now being encouraged by their governments to divest from manufacturing in China and move elsewhere.

Other countries with plentiful supplies of cheap labor are available. Indeed China is no longer even regarded as having such.

So Chinas sphere of influence is probably at its zenith. So in your lifetime you will probably see the collapse of China as a world power.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

Thai government’s policy of neutrality in the Russian/Ukraine conflict.

Thailand voted yes to the UN Resolution, demanding Russia withdraw Immediately. so that is not consistent as you put it. 

39 minutes ago, Manu said:

Best argument ever!! As an army guy (i believe?), you have been very well trained.

Air Force and yes I was. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Cant all be perfect I guess 😝

At least I was going to go to war sitting down in a nice comfy cockpit.  No crawling around in the mud and  getting my hair all messed up. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

At least I was going to go to war sitting down in a nice comfy cockpit.  No crawling around in the mud and  getting my hair all messed up. 

Yeah the problem is when you guys hit the mud everything gets broken 😝

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Dunno, but seems like some people here have a great proclivity to complain about Thai this and Thai that. Maybe better they look for somewhere more suited to their moral compass....if it's that bad! 

Like you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Faz said:

Like you?

I'll ignore the personal attack there....

but I'm quite happy to put it on the record, that when it comes to Thailand I have zero moral compass... 😆😆😆

I enjoy my time there and that's it for me. 

I would not consider myself a serial complainer about Thailand or the Thai people. 

5 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

but I'm quite happy to put it on the record, that when it comes to Thailand I have zero moral compass... 😆😆😆

I enjoy my time there and that's it for me. 

I would not consider myself a serial complainer about Thailand or the Thai people. 

Oh, so you don’t live in Thailand long term then?  Are you a regular visitor who remains in the holiday spirit then? 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:10 PM, Pinetree said:

I just knew that someone would come up with that tired comment and incorrect comparison.  Yes, American has made mistakes, mistakes generally made in the cause of freedom and democracy and protecting that cause for themselves and the rest of the free World. Vietnam was a prime example of this.  It is nowhere near repressive regimes subjugating other Nations , suppressing the freedoms of their own people and committing genocide, as Russia has done for 100 years and is still doing today.   No, its not just Russians, you can add China to that list and, if we speak of the killing of their own people, add North Korea, Iran and some of the deeply divided and repressed regimes in Africa. 

yea and I was expecting that someone who defends double standard will come too :) What is worst? Equality or double standard, u tell me. 

Look at the list of abused and attacked countries in last 30 yrs, USA and Russia

23 hours ago, Pinetree said:

That was 200 years ago mate, Russia and Ukraine  is now !

That was 50yrs ago, and all other wars were in past 20 yrs. Thats okay, u just dont know

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Oh, so you don’t live in Thailand long term then?  Are you a regular visitor who remains in the holiday spirit then? 

I'd rather not divulge my personal circumstances in public as it were. Feel free to pm.. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:48 PM, JamesR said:

You are talking about Pattaya, of course many of the Russians are not rich just like the rest of the tourists there, if they were rich they would not be seen dead in Pattaya.😄

I am talking about the islands and pattaya was mentioned a bit too, yes

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I'd rather not divulge my personal circumstances in public as it were. Feel free to pm.. 

That’s ok, I understand. I was just trying to understand as it would potentially have a significant impact on how you view Thailand and Thais. I use to make two or three visits each year and stay between 3-5 weeks each time. That was back around 1996-2005. After that, my wife and I started visiting for longer periods of up to 3 months. Now, I visit and stay around 7-9 months of the year. My view and opinions have changed significantly as a result of the changes to the time I spend here. We use to stay in nice hotels, eat at nice restaurants and generally play the typical tourist. As we stayed longer and started to live much more like an expat and interact with the Thai systems and people more at a local level, that’s when I started to see many of the problems and many of the discriminatory attitudes towards foreigners and the abject disinterest in anything that wasn’t Thai. I also got involved in a couple of businesses and had to interact with the more formal administrative systems and again, it was simply incredible how difficult and frustrating it can be. I just simply would never understand the Thai mindset and hence not surprised their attitude towards visiting Russians is 180 degree opposite to my own. To me, it beggars belief. It seems money trumps everything here, including international human rights and morals. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Where's the personal attack?

4 hours ago, you stated in reply to @Soidog

5 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Dunno, but seems like some people here have a great proclivity to complain about Thai this and Thai that.

Yet, 5 hours ago in reply to a news article, you posted this:

The writer was Petch Petpailin, a Thai translator and writer for the Thaiger.

Isn't that rather like the pot calling the kettle black?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

Where's the personal attack?

4 hours ago, you stated in reply to @Soidog

Yet, 5 hours ago in reply to a news article, you posted this:

The writer was Petch Petpailin, a Thai translator and writer for the Thaiger.

Isn't that rather like the pot calling the kettle black?

Not really.

Unless you're going to conflate serial complaining about all/many things Thai, with one comment about one piece of journalism, then the answer is no....

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Thailand voted yes to the UN Resolution, demanding Russia withdraw Immediately. so that is not consistent as you put it. 

They abstained on the vote of condemnation of the initial invasion, which is consistent with allowing  Russians into the country.

Edited by Khunmark

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

No. The west (where the money is) is increasingly becoming wary of China and its rhetoric. 

Western companies are now being encouraged by their governments to divest from manufacturing in China and move elsewhere.

Other countries with plentiful supplies of cheap labor are available. Indeed China is no longer even regarded as having such.

So Chinas sphere of influence is probably at its zenith. So in your lifetime you will probably see the collapse of China as a world power.

I totally disagree, companies do whatever is good for companies, and they do not listen to the government in that respect.

There have been a few high-profile companies shift from the West to China, plus China is also an importer of Western goods, it in not just an exporter.

15 hours ago, Soidog said:

No. It’s not about a point of view, it’s a matter of international law. Russia invaded Ukraine while America supported the South Vietnamese government. 100% totally different. 

I agree. The West are not angels and we do act in self interest. What’s wrong with that?  Acting in the interests of your country is what all governments should be doing. That doesn’t mean you can simply invade another country in a style reminiscent of colonialism or the Second World War. 

"That doesn’t mean you can simply invade another country in a style reminiscent of colonialism or the Second World War. "

Erm, it appears you can, Russia just did it, and the West is sitting on the sidelines doing as little as possible, just enough to play politics over it. 

16 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Not really.

Unless you're going to conflate serial complaining about all/many things Thai, with one comment about one piece of journalism, then the answer is no....

So only once is OK - Gotcha!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Soidog said:

Fair enough. Obviously Russian then😂

Oh yes, and they were not covered with tattoos while walking down the street hand in hand with a twenty-five-year-old bar girl.😃

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I totally disagree, companies do whatever is good for companies, and they do not listen to the government in that respect.

There have been a few high-profile companies shift from the West to China, plus China is also an importer of Western goods, it in not just an exporter.

Disagree all you want.

Reality says different. 

• Like 1