News Forum - Russian invasion spreads to Thailand’s paradise islands

Thaiger

Ukraine isn’t the only nation suffering from a Russian invasion, Thailand is facing it too. Since Russia took exception to Ukraine’s aspirations to join NATO and the European Union thousands of Russian citizens have fled to avoid conscription to set up camp in Thailand. Russian roubles may have been welcomed by Thai businesses as the …

The story Russian invasion spreads to Thailand’s paradise islands as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

BEWARE of the Trojan horse.  If you think the Chinese tongs are bad, you had better believe that the Russian mafia are worst. But the systemic greed among Thai officials will continue to allow unsavory characters to seep-in and contaminate that once beautiful island. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Ukraine isn’t the only nation suffering from a Russian invasion, Thailand is facing it too. Since Russia took exception to Ukraine’s aspirations to join NATO and the European Union thousands of Russian citizens have fled to avoid conscription to set up camp in Thailand. Russian roubles may have been welcomed by Thai businesses as the …

The story Russian invasion spreads to Thailand’s paradise islands as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yes true ..I put my condo on the market I thought it would be difficult to sell I was contacted by a Russian lady working for a property sales company ..sold in 2 weeks no price drop Young guy.about 25 job done ..

I don’t have anything against Russians since the ones I have encountered in Phuket were generally nice people. That was in 2019, fast forwarding today I still don’t have anything against Russians. I was recently in Thailand and the majority of people - tourists I seen were Indian ethnicity. From Bangkok to Pattaya and the prices were all reasonable and almost the same as pre pandemic levels. There was a majority of Europeans, Irish and Britts down in Pattaya that seem to own a lot of the clubs and venues but the Thai Culture  was very much alive and vibrant. Meaning the staff and streets were packed with Thais. What I’ve seen on You Tube and have read online about Phuket in the last several months is - all that’s gone there. Everything is more expensive, the streets - tourists are packed with Russians and the clubs and shops are ran and employees are Russians. If Thailands government  wants to build “little Russia” in Phuket that’s fine, but there going to kill the Thai Culture!! I’ll be back in Thailand less than 45 days and Phuket was on my list to go to..….I scratched it off. 

Thank You

Marvin Yeager

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I don’t have anything against Russians since the ones I have encountered in Phuket were generally nice people

Really?  I have everything against them, nice or more likely not nice at all.  They are, by definition, collectively and individually responsible for the actions of their criminal government, unless, and only unless, they are activists against Putin and his Cohort of thugs.  I see no sign of  activism in the ones here, I see just cowardice or Ostrich  like heads in sand. Now we read, surprise, surprise that some have imported their criminal mind set and behaviors to Thailand. Well, well, who could have seen that coming? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Xenophobic article nothing like stirring up resentment against Eastern Europeans - dangerous reporting we don’t need the media to tell us there are lots of russians (and Ukrainians) in town under current Thai laws they have as much right to be here as any other nation

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Xenophobic article nothing like stirring up resentment against Eastern Europeans - dangerous reporting we don’t need the media to tell us there are lots of russians (and Ukrainians) in town under current Thai laws they have as much right to be here as any other nation

I agree.

Invasion?

I have been in Phuket since November last year and when I drive around the same is true as it always has been and that is 99% of the people I see in the street and shops are Thai, not much of an invasion as far as I can see. 

I have not checked out the tourist areas like Soi Bangla in Patong etc but those sorts of areas only make up a tiny fraction of the total area of Phuket.

I will have a drive around and walk around later this afternoon and check those places out, when I was celebrating there on New Year's eve the tourists were of many different nationalities. 

If you go to the expensive shopping areas Like the massive Central shopping center near Kathu there are many Russians, I saw a long queue of them waiting to buy the $1000 to $2000 handbags, etc in Louis Vuitton  (spelling?)

All the ones I have seen look clean and smart and decent just like everyone else, couples and families too.

If they are rich and buying up the expensive condos I wonder why they are stealing all the taxi driving jobs?

Some people have mentioned the responsibility Russian civilians have regarding the war in Ukraine. 

As an example of the responsibility of civilians in a war situation did anyone criticize the Americans who holidayed in Thailand while their military was killing three million men, women and children in Vietnam?

That is just one example of all of the wars we in the West have been involved in, were we civilians supposed to stay at home during the various wars?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Really?  I have everything against them, nice or more likely not nice at all.  They are, by definition, collectively and individually responsible for the actions of their criminal government, unless, and only unless, they are activists against Putin and his Cohort of thugs.  I see no sign of  activism in the ones here, I see just cowardice or Ostrich  like heads in sand. Now we read, surprise, surprise that some have imported their criminal mind set and behaviors to Thailand. Well, well, who could have seen that coming? 

Do you also see americans collectively responsible for 40 wars in past 70 years and millions of death caused be it? or is it only the russians? 

• Like 1

This is of course unhealthy. It is issue for the real estate market, that will crash once the war ends, as the demand will drop and they will be selling the places

Another issue is that Russians are not exactly the most wished neighbors or tourists to have around and rest of the world might basically lit their visits in a “little russia”. It might have negative inpact on tourists from other nations who are regular visiters.  And those tourists would like to come all the time, not only to avoid draft to military. Inflated prices for apartment rents will also discourage regular tourists from visiting.

And lastly, at least what I see in Pattaya, huge amount of russians everywhere I live, when I walk out in the evening, it is literally 200 russians i see in 5 min lol. And they are not the richest, so they come here, and they dont really spend money, they seek 150baht massage and eat street food, which doesnt really support the economy at all.

Edited by francoa
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, francoa said:

Do you also see americans collectively responsible for 40 wars in past 70 years and millions of death caused be it? or is it only the russians? 

I just knew that someone would come up with that tired comment and incorrect comparison.  Yes, American has made mistakes, mistakes generally made in the cause of freedom and democracy and protecting that cause for themselves and the rest of the free World. Vietnam was a prime example of this.  It is nowhere near repressive regimes subjugating other Nations , suppressing the freedoms of their own people and committing genocide, as Russia has done for 100 years and is still doing today.   No, its not just Russians, you can add China to that list and, if we speak of the killing of their own people, add North Korea, Iran and some of the deeply divided and repressed regimes in Africa. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I just knew that someone would come up with that tired comment and incorrect comparison.  Yes, American has made mistakes, mistakes generally made in the cause of freedom and democracy and protecting that cause for themselves and the rest of the free World. Vietnam was a prime example of this.  It is nowhere near repressive regimes subjugating other Nations , suppressing the freedoms of their own people and committing genocide, as Russia has done for 100 years and is still doing today.   No, its not just Russians, you can add China to that list and, if we speak of the killing of their own people, add North Korea, Iran and some of the deeply divided and repressed regimes in Africa. 

"It is nowhere near repressive regimes subjugating other Nations........."

I wonder what the native Americans thought about the settlers from Europe arriving on their doorsteps, they created a society that over time kicked out the Brit rulers, set up their own country, and went west killing the native Indians as they progressed with the aid of an army, I bet the locals really welcomed the invaders?

And no I am not bashing the Americans, if you read my initial comment above I mentioned the West and not just America. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, francoa said:

This is of course unhealthy. It is issue for the real estate market, that will crash once the war ends, as the demand will drop and they will be selling the places

Another issue is that Russians are not exactly the most wished neighbors or tourists to have around and rest of the world might basically lit their visits in a “little russia”. It might have negative inpact on tourists from other nations who are regular visiters.  And those tourists would like to come all the time, not only to avoid draft to military. Inflated prices for apartment rents will also discourage regular tourists from visiting.

And lastly, at least what I see in Pattaya, huge amount of russians everywhere I live, when I walk out in the evening, it is literally 200 russians i see in 5 min lol. And they are not the richest, so they come here, and they dont really spend money, they seek 150baht massage and eat street food, which doesnt really support the economy at all.

You are talking about Pattaya, of course many of the Russians are not rich just like the rest of the tourists there, if they were rich they would not be seen dead in Pattaya.😄

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JamesR said:

"It is nowhere near repressive regimes subjugating other Nations........."

I wonder what the native Americans thought about the settlers from Europe arriving on their doorsteps, they created a society that over time kicked out the Brit rulers, set up their own country, and went west killing the native Indians as they progressed with the aid of an army, I bet the locals really welcomed the invaders?

And no I am not bashing the Americans, if you read my initial comment above I mentioned the West and not just America. 

That was 200 years ago mate, Russia and Ukraine  is now !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Poolie said:

40 mistakes in 70 years? Why havent they learned by now?

Didn't someone tell them that the nett result wont change?

What 40 mistakes? 

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

That was 200 years ago mate, Russia and Ukraine  is now !

No problem, time heals everything so in a few years' time the Russians will be saying the same thing.

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

As an example of the responsibility of civilians in a war situation did anyone criticize the Americans who holidayed in Thailand while their military was killing three million men, women and children in Vietnam?

Totally different situation. The Vietnam war had been taking place since 1958 and long before the South Vietnamese government requested support. America didn’t just decide to invade Vietnam as Russia did in Ukraine. In the gulf wars we had a situation where an evil unelected  tyrant in Saddam had gassed his own people, invaded Kuwait and later continued to pose a threat to its neighbours, his own people and the wider stability of the Middle East. Again, this is nothing like the situation in Ukraine that is a democracy with an elected leader by the Ukrainian people.

Simply staggering that people can equate what Putin has done to the US. Equate him to Saddam by all means. He did the same to Kuwait as Putin is doing to Ukraine. This is why Russians should not be allowed to relax and go on holiday.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, francoa said:

And lastly, at least what I see in Pattaya, huge amount of russians everywhere I live, when I walk out in the evening, it is literally 200 russians i see in 5 min lol.

And how would you know they are Russian? Do they go around with a Russian flag or singing the national anthem. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

40 mistakes in 70 years? Why havent they learned by now?

Didn't someone tell them that the nett result wont change?

Who said all 40 were mistakes? In my view, the only mistake the US has made in the past 40 years is to not stop China from being the pariah state it is rapidly becoming today.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Totally different situation. The Vietnam war had been taking place since 1958 and long before the South Vietnamese government requested support. America didn’t just decide to invade Vietnam as Russia did in Ukraine. In the gulf wars we had a situation where an evil unelected  tyrant in Saddam had gassed his own people, invaded Kuwait and later continued to pose a threat to its neighbours, his own people and the wider stability of the Middle East. Again, this is nothing like the situation in Ukraine that is a democracy with an elected leader by the Ukrainian people.

Simply staggering that people can equate what Putin has done to the US. Equate him to Saddam by all means. He did the same to Kuwait as Putin is doing to Ukraine. This is why Russians should not be allowed to relax and go on holiday.  

In the same way you have justified the actions of the West from your point of view, the Russians or any other country in the world will of course do the same from their point of view.

"America didn’t just decide to invade Vietnam.....", I supposed they were forced into invading the country after the French had done a runner, they didn't mind Vietnam being ruled by a Western country which was France but as soon as the Chinese were supporting the north it was then in their interest to invade the country under the pretext of an invitation.

I suppose the rich Russian civilians have a choice if they do not support the actions of their politicians, they could demonstrate and be killed or do a runner to Thailand where they will be safe,  they will then be free like us to say what they please hidden behind a keyboard. 

Don't get me wrong, I support democracy and I am happy I am from the West but I do not pretend we are angels policing the world to keep it safe, we do whatever is in our interest just like all other countries of the world. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

And how would you know they are Russian? Do they go around with a Russian flag or singing the national anthem. 

It was obvious, they were all drinking Vodka and beating up their wives as all Russians do.😃

(Sarcasm). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Loads in Phuket, a condo project near me in Rawai is like little Moscow 

I was just in Rawai for a couple weeks in November and the number of Russians was a little shocking. There was always a Russian presence but now I'd venture that most white foreigners there are Russian. Many of the Thai business owners I spoke to commented on it as well. They weren't really doing anything obnoxious for the most part but I did have a few run-ins with incredibly rude or imposing Russian guys who literally said it's THEIR place so I should mind my own business.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

And Iraq did so much better once the good Americans got rid of Saddam didn't it. 

I will add to that that the 1st Gulf War was justified as Iraq invaded Kuwait, as Putin's done in Ukraine.. But GW2?! 

Absolutely no justification whatsoever. The whole WMD thing was lies. The whole basis for war was based on lies, just like Putin's invasion now. 

As unappealing to the west as Saddam was, he was far preferable to what came after.

1 hour ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I was just in Rawai for a couple weeks in November and the number of Russians was a little shocking. There was always a Russian presence but now I'd venture that most white foreigners there are Russian. Many of the Thai business owners I spoke to commented on it as well. They weren't really doing anything obnoxious for the most part but I did have a few run-ins with incredibly rude or imposing Russian guys who literally said it's THEIR place so I should mind my own business.

So what were the bad Russian people doing when you had a run in with them? Just curious.