News Forum - Thailand schools advised to halt in-person teaching during extreme heat

Thaiger

The Basic Education Commission’s secretary-general issued guidance to all school administrations to halt in-person teachings during periods of extreme heat. Thanu Wongchinda’s announcement, made yesterday, aims to safeguard the health of both students and teachers, considering the potential risk of heat stroke. The first half of April is predicted to bring intense heat, particularly affecting … …

The story Thailand schools advised to halt in-person teaching during extreme heat as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Most of the Thai schools are closed for the long holiday? 

• Like 1

Does this mean it's not a good idea to teach English in The Land of Smiles?

The first half of April is predicted to bring intense heat, particularly affecting regions such as the northeast, north, central plains, and east. 

Thanks for the heads-up, but ..................... we're a week into May already.
Too little news, too late!

6 hours ago, soulrider808 said:

Does this mean it's not a good idea to teach English in The Land of Smiles?

Have you joined the green party, or just not feeling well?  🤔

18 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Have you joined the green party, or just not feeling well?  🤔

He's attention seeking.  It's not working.

Sorry green is my favorite color and makes it easier for me to read my comments. Two TESL schools recently told me that a 4 or 6 year college is required now to teach English in Thailand. So there goes my plan. Looks like I'll just finish working my burn-out job another 5-6 years in US till I collect SS.

4 hours ago, soulrider808 said:

Two TESL schools recently told me that a 4 or 6 year college is required now to teach English in Thailand. So there goes my plan.

Having a university degree has been a requirement for some time now. 

The first half of April is predicted to bring intense heat, particularly affecting regions such as the northeast, north, central plains, and east. This period coincides with the commencement of the 2024 school term, thus raising notable concerns.

Error?  That must be, because it's off by a month.  And while the first half of April has already passed, the school term doesn't commence generally until May.

climate expert Associate Professor Seree Supratid highlighted the exacerbating effects of global warming. He stated that the annual duration of the hottest period in Bangkok could potentially escalate from 17 days to 80 days, particularly between March and May.

While I am sure this is what they guy said, it is worth noting that between March and May would  mean that period has already passed, as the beginning of May would be the end of that period.  Often this period is referred to as April.

Keeping large numbers of students studying remotely doesn't seem to be much better than allowing them to attend school, except for those with families that can afford air conditioning.