News Forum - Phuket taxis: outsiders are undercutting our prices

Thaiger

Operators from outside Phuket are the target of a recent complaint filed by representatives from 30 taxi, van, tuk tuk and bus operators on the island. The association is complaining that outside taxis are invading their province and stealing their tourist customers by undercutting their prices. The complaint alleges that these outside operators are greatly …

The story Phuket taxis: outsiders are undercutting our prices as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

capitalists’ [sic] from outside the area are gradually bringing their vehicles [into Phuket] to serve tourists.”

Hypocrites.

They form their own association to set (fix) the rules, fares etc to suit themselves then complain.

Even the Thai taxi drivers from outside can cut the Association fares and make a living and they have to drive from outside the region to get there.

Competition, love it.

• Like 5

The Phuket taxi mafia, cartel, whatever you want to call it, cries foul when they realise that they can't enforce a minimum fare.  Even back in November 2021, with tourist numbers still way down, they were straight back to full greed ahead. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

But, it’s unclear if there’s any law or regulation that would prevent a taxi driver based outside of Phuket from coming onto the island and picking up customers in Phuket.  Still, the president of the association asked for mercy.

Unclear to whom? The president?? I'm pretty sure (after skimming the transport act and some amendments) that inter-provincial taxis (yellow platers) are allowed to make intra-provincial journeys, including in provinces other then where their licenses were issued. Surely, the president is more knowledgeable and actually knows that for a fact (or - in case I'm wrong - the opposite fact).

That raises the question why mercy/forgiveness is asked. Is it because of a lack of elementary knowledge required for the job, or because a conscious effort is being made to cause confusion and doubt about existing legislature in order to protect Phuket's monopoly and more specifically its taxi extortion schemes?

• Like 1

Ahhhhhh ! Rip-off artist complaining about completion. The top two tourist destinations are notorious for inflated taxi fares. My first experience was my last. “Fool me once, shame on you / Fool me twice shame on me”.  On a similar vein, i don’t begrudge taxis earning a fair living. I gladly accept Bangkok’s recent raising of fares, but still continue to see “refusals” by drivers every day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Translation "We are having a harder time ripping people off because people now have other options."

With drivers that don't know the phrase,

"meter not work, sorry"

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

I was in tears reading this article !! 

Nothing like a good old belly laugh that hurts. Will add years to your life.😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's the farangs that live here who know Phuket's taxi mafia are just that.  These rip off artists depend on ignorant and generous foreign tourists.

It's another reason I won't go back to the island regardless of how nice the properties are or how beautiful the beaches. 

It's just a giant screw-the-farang party that I no longer want to attend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

It's the farangs that live here who know Phuket's taxi mafia are just that.  These rip off artists depend on ignorant and generous foreign tourists.

It's another reason I won't go back to the island regardless of how nice the properties are or how beautiful the beaches. 

It's just a giant screw-the-farang party that I no longer want to attend.

I am not supporting a lot of the nonsense that goes on in Phuket with taxis and whatnot 

But I also maybe question how social most are because although I don't think I should have to 

We go to Phuket all the time and always find a reasonable priced ride 

Either from the people at the hotel or the bar we been to

Now my idea of "reasonable " may also vary from some of the more "fiscal" people on here

In May we drove the MB out but ended up drinking too much to drive home

The Bar/Restaurant who we were having fun with called a tuk tuk they knew

200 Bhat they drove us to our hotel and their buddy followed us driving our bike so I didn't have to go hey it later next day 

My point is talk to people, be friendly and you can find decent people to drive you around 

• Like 1