News Forum - Volvo solar charging stations, charging free of charge

Thaiger

Volvo solar charging stations have been installed at four Volvo Car Thailand dealerships, where customers can charge their cars for free. As the number of electric vehicles in Thailand is rising, however slowly, the demand for electricity from charging stations is growing along with it. More EVs means more power generation, which usually involves others fossil fuels that create similar amounts of carbon dioxide, leading to global warming. A standard 220V household connector offers a typical charging rate of 7 – 14 kilometres of range per hour. It is best suited for overnight charging of a plug-in hybrid. Volvo says […]

The story Volvo solar charging stations, charging free of charge as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Gee I can hardly contain my excitement over the prospect of spending between 2.5 million to 3.5 million for the benefit of driving to the Volvo dealership to sit inside my car or inside their showroom for an extended period of time while my car charges.  What a wonderful way to spend my afternoons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Gee I can hardly contain my excitement over the prospect of spending between 2.5 million to 3.5 million for the benefit of driving to the Volvo dealership to sit inside my car or inside their showroom for an extended period of time while my car charges.  What a wonderful way to spend my afternoons. 

Yeah the electricity is free but its $15 for a cup of coffee in the waiting room 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah the electricity is free but its $15 for a cup of coffee in the waiting room 😆

All the charges have been factored in together with the price of the vehicle. So basically you don't pay anything after that for charging. So obviously it is free......but mathematically not.  It is like hanging a carrot in front of the horse to make it pull the cart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

All the charges have been factored in together with the price of the vehicle. So basically you don't pay anything after that for charging. So obviously it is free......but mathematically not.  It is like hanging a carrot in front of the horse to make it pull the cart. 

If electric cars were such a great money saver why is it that the governments around the world give them subsidies to encourage people to buy them.  

13 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

If electric cars were such a great money saver why is it that the governments around the world give them subsidies to encourage people to buy them.  

Because they are a total pain in the arse to live with. They are OK for local journeys but if you want to go any distance you need a second car which uses petrol or diesel.

I'm waiting to see the entrepreneur who sets up a chain of "fast" charging stations on major roads with restaurants and food stalls, similar to the PTT pump stations etc, or maybe the current stations will revamp and install areas for charging to "top up" after a few hours driving.

9 hours ago, palooka said:

I'm waiting to see the entrepreneur who sets up a chain of "fast" charging stations on major roads with restaurants and food stalls, similar to the PTT pump stations etc, or maybe the current stations will revamp and install areas for charging to "top up" after a few hours driving.

I’m pretty sure existing sites will provide chargers. The start up costs to replicate exiting pump stations will be a big barrier to entry. Far easier for existing providers to install 6-12 fast chargers and keep the owners on site spending money for an hour. 

• Like 1