Renovating an old rural village house.

Faz

Whilst waiting for the builder to start installing the internal ceilings, I fitted the external lights.
For the side elevations, I chose simple bulkhead fittings, with an 18W Phillips LED bulb.

237.thumb.JPG.ccd6688d4b542bd8020e1839e2300f37.JPG

238.thumb.JPG.e0cdae099d0e7e58f46af31ad0e0f802.JPG

All looking good except for the colour scheme.

It's all a bit too Celtic football club for me 😝

Oh and the thing with the ladders? From a risk assessment point of view it's a no from the Scotland judge.

• Haha 1

For the internal ceilings, rather than use the standard steel battens they use in Thailand, thus;

Ceiling-batten_thumbnail_870x569.jpg.467a410ca243abcab556a3bda60c434d.jpg

Which I personally don't trust for strength, or for rusting, and although more expensive, I chose to frame the ceilings out in 2" x 1" x 1.5 mm galvanised steel.

image.png.62f19eae850818452e4a2589c433e250.png

I can fit ceiling fans with confidence to these, wherever I choose.
These will also be welded together and secured to the steel roofing frame.

• Like 1

Steel and gyproc plaster boarding has arrived.
Now all I'm waiting for is the builder to arrive. 🤨

222.thumb.JPG.910027202c5d0b55543f6a2512bc7017.JPG

223.thumb.JPG.12fc250e5453f0f5c3e364b392cca643.JPG

I've calculated 60 off 240 cm x 120 cm plaster boards, plus 86 off 6 mtr x 2" x 1" steel bars.
Only 52 steel bars delivered, the rest to follow as we wiped them out of stock.

• Like 3

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but our village is one of 3 all side by side.
Each village has its own Poo Yai Baan, or head of village.
Our builder is also a head of village person, although not in our village, even though he lives less than 100 mtr away, but on the other side of our soi, which divides two villages.

As the head of village, his responsibilities are numerous, which has proved to be to our detriment.
Anything from a leaking household tap, a snake in a garden, to neighbour disputes, and he's called for.
If anyone in the village passes away, he makes all the cremation arrangements, fills out and files any documents with the Amphoe as well as collecting the death certificate, informs other family members and liaises with any life Insurance company as well as being expected to attend any ceremonies and the cremation itself.

If a family's son/daughter at Uni receives a diploma, he's off with the family to wherever to attend the awards. This is all part of the 'face' culture in Thailand. Having the head of village attending gives greater face (importance) to the involved family.

I swear that since the start of this project, we've had so many villagers pass away, at this rate we'll be the only one's left by next year. When a villager passes away, an appointed person then collects 200 BHT from each household in the community to offset ceremonial and cremation costs. We don't even live there, but it's cost me around 2,000 BHT so far.
Most of the villagers are elderly, in their 70s or 80s from what I can perceive, many of their sons/daughters moved out a long time ago in search of work in the towns and cities, no longer inclined to grow rice as their parents have spent a lifetime doing. There are a few younger children in the village, of which I've noticed many don't attend school, having learning disabilities, and more than a fair representative suffering from downs syndrome.
I originally assumed (wrongly) that these were grandchildren being cared for by grandparents whilst the parents were away working, only to find out many are actually children of the ageing villagers. They are very pleasant, inquisitive and quite comical. Such a girl in her 20s pops around every couple of weeks and the wife translating tells me she wants me to introduce her to a 'farang' friend, though preferable a bit younger, and with plenty of money - love it, makes my day.

I digress, the moral here being if you want a builder that's reliable, punctual and isn't constantly pestered whilst trying to work, make sure he isn't the Poo Yai Baan!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

It's all a bit too Celtic football club for me 😝

What! Celtic play in green and white, even if they are lemons. 
We completed a risk assessment on the colour schemes, be safe, be seen.  😬

I thought it more eye catching than orange and purple 😉

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Oh and the thing with the ladders? From a risk assessment point of view it's a no from the Scotland judge.

Chicken! 🐔
Where's your sense of adventure 😅

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

What! Celtic play in green and white, even if they are lemons. 
We completed a risk assessment on the colour schemes, be safe, be seen.

Each to their own I guess 😀

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

Chicken! 🐔
Where's your sense of adventure

Nope the entire job is simply a teeth dryer. Not happening. Not writing the paperwork. Think I will put in for a holiday on the day you are doing it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Each to their own I guess 😀

I edited that post to add;

10 minutes ago, Faz said:

I thought it more eye catching than orange and purple 😉

1 minute ago, Faz said:

I edited that post to add;

Ashamed to say I was once a member of that institution. Then I realised I was a total clown for being so.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, the builder was supposed to start the ceiling installation on the morning of Sat Feb 18th, but arrives at 1030 to advise he needs a labourer to help, so he's off to pick up a mate. No idea where his mate lives, but he returns at 1330 with another new face to his 'crew'.
That afternoon they get the steel framework up in the kitchen (7 x 2.5 metres) and the bathroom (4 x 1.5 metres). He asks if we can arrive early Sunday from our usual time of 0900, so we oblige and arrive at 0800.
He doesn't show up until 1600, explaining everyone is busy, although we later find out he was working on another job.

Kitchen.
242.thumb.JPG.0e5424445ad7b1ac4590a345049eb3f8.JPG

Bathroom.
243.thumb.JPG.4be152dec55414a585708affafa9c5c0.JPG

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Faz said:

So, the builder was supposed to start the ceiling installation on the morning of Sat Feb 18th, but arrives at 1030 to advise he needs a labourer to help, so he's off to pick up a mate. No idea where his mate lives, but he returns at 1330 with another new face to his 'crew'.
That afternoon they get the steel framework up in the kitchen (7 x 2.5 metres) and the bathroom (4 x 1.5 metres). He asks if we can arrive early Sunday from our usual time of 0900, so we oblige and arrive at 0800.
He doesn't show up until 1600, explaining everyone is busy, although we later find out he was working on another job.

Kitchen.
242.thumb.JPG.0e5424445ad7b1ac4590a345049eb3f8.JPG

Bathroom.
243.thumb.JPG.4be152dec55414a585708affafa9c5c0.JPG

Classic Thai 'builder' story.

(for "Thai builder" read rice farmer, temporarily unemployed).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The plan going forward, as he explains it is, the following weekend Sat/Sun 26/27th Feb, he'll arrive with a crew. He'll continue with erecting the steel frameworks, whilst the other group start laying the 'Stay Cool' insulation and boarding the ceilings.

What actually happens is, he arrives at 1000 with another new face, an ex builder, now retired, who appears to be about 90 year of age, can't get up on the scaffolding platform and squints to see the measurements on a tape measure. He cuts the first two lengths short.
Whilst I allowed for errors and ordered extra lengths than those required, at this rate of wastage I'll be short, so I have to intervene and help. I'm up and down the scaffold helping to measure across the width of the room, then mark the steel for cutting. The old chap cuts, although it takes him 5 minutes to get up and down from a kneeling position.

We finish studding out the first bedroom (3.5 x 3.2 metres) when I notice the first error.
There are electric cable currently dangling from the ceiling, which will lay on top of the ceilings when completed. He's welded a cross piece with the cable underneath the steel frame. This cable goes to one of the external side lights, which is fitted, connected and working.
His remedy, to my amazement, is when boarding, he'll tuck the cable tightly under the steel bar and cut a piece out of the plasterboard to slot over the cable, then fill it - not on my watch sunshine!
He is not happy about having to break one of the welds to put the cable above and re-weld, whilst I can't believe the sheer stupidity, but he does as I request, in fact order.

In the bedroom, I plan to hang fans, so request he adds a couple of extra cross pieces between the 60cm spacing for some extra strength and support.

At 1300 a gang of 6 more labourers appear to start boarding. The older gentleman departs.
Rather than continue erecting the steel frames throughout the other areas as planned and leaving the gang to start boarding, the boss is up on the scaffolding helping. We have 3 men on the scaffolding, lifting and fixing the boards and 2 passing and cutting plasterboard sheets to size if required.
For pieces requiring cutting to size, they're struggling to identify which would be the straight edge and which would be the cut edge (against the walls). Neither can they read the measurements on their tape measure, it's so worn and faded.
Once more, I have to step in and lend a tape measure as well as instructing them how to correctly identify when cutting, turn the board face down as it would be when fitted on the ceiling, to identify which end to cut from.

By 1700, the kitchen, bathroom and one bedroom have the insulation laid and the ceilings boarded.
As they fit the boards, I'm marking and drilling for the flush spotlights. They've never seen a hole cutter used before for fitting spotlights, another new experience for them.

246.thumb.JPG.5fc8ac4385de397c2ed70d51c25a4f90.JPG

247.thumb.JPG.6a5998f926b0b619425909f13b32212a.JPG

Sunday 27th Feb, the builder arrives again at 0930.
The boarding crew have done as much as they can, with only the 3 rooms having the steel framework in situ.

The builder starts to fit the steel framework to the second bedroom, but just as he completes it, he receives a message his presence is requested (Poo Yai Baan business) and that's the last we see of him.
He didn't have time to fit the insulation ready for boarding, so the wife and I start to fit it, when that 'Oh FFS' moment appears again. You simply can't take your eyes off these guys for a minute.

Second bedroom.

248.thumb.JPG.417adcf0c97a7644ca68377b2d97fc80.JPG

The loose cable hanging down is for the light/fan fitting, but can you spot the problem.

A closer look, perhaps, and you'll see he's made the same mistake when fitting the extra cross pieces for extra support where the fan will be fitted, as he made in the previous bedroom.

249.thumb.JPG.27ca9c0a61ad0804deb94fe92dd97d05.JPG

Cable under the steel framework.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry!

By now I have some 'niggles' eating away within, and getting frustrated with the whole situation.
1. They don't have all the tools for the job and are continually using mine.
So far, drills, bits, grinders, screwdrivers and other assorted hand tools. They come armed with a bucket, hammer and trowel.
2. A total lack of consideration for any plans you have.
They ask you to be early, then they either don't arrive or arrive hours later, then don't achieve completing the work you expected. An example below;

He's well aware he's behind schedule, so again requested we arrive as early as possible for the forthcoming weekend, which has an extra holiday, so 3 days work planned. Sat, Sun, Mon, 4th, 5th, 6th March.
We arrive at 0700 after a 74 km drive.
Saturday, he arrives at 1130, announcing he had to attend a wedding ceremony that morning. He didn't know that the weekend before, or at least have the decency to call and advise us. Noooooooo!
Sunday and Monday he doesn't arrive until 0930, breakfast, so what's the point in us getting up extra early.

Now, he's been fully aware since January that we're taking a trip to the UK towards the end of April, and I'd hoped to have all the ceilings painted out and lights fitted beforehand. At the rate he's going, we'll be lucky to have all the ceilings installed before we depart.

He's spent this last weekend working alone, scrimming, filling the joints and sanding down to the kitchen, bathroom and one bedroom, preparing them for painting, when he was supposed to be fitting the steel framework to the other rooms preparing them for boarding.

I've come to the conclusion he's struggling to find labourers to assist, and I have an inclination as to why!
I'm aware of a previous dispute he had with one labourer over payment.
Even when he gets the labour, he can be called away to attend other village matters, and he won't allow the other labourers to continue without him, which has often left them standing around for hours on multiple occasions, ending with only working half days. I believe there have been some disputes with the labourers wanting payment for the day, whilst he only wants to pay them for half days.

I'm in the labourer's corner in that respect, it's not their fault. They're probably as pissed off as I am.
The problem being the boss is the only one that can weld and has the equipment to do so.

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

Classic Thai 'builder' story.

(for "Thai builder" read rice farmer, temporarily unemployed).

Yeah, only he doesn't own any land to grow rice.

As I stated previously, never employ a builder who is also the Poo Yai Baan.
I wish I'd have known then what I know now.
You come second to his duties.

• Like 1

Ideally, he wants a free hand to come and go as it suits him throughout the week when we're not present.

Since the gate was fitted restricting access, we advised him he could only continue at weekends when we were present. There were primarily two reasons for that;

1. We couldn't trust them to follow the plans, instead I'd spend hours rectifying poor workmanship.
The fact a ceiling is up and won't fall down is acceptable to them, whereas the appearance is also just as important to us. Joints butted up, no sagging between pieces, or numerous holes to fill. Unfortunately, they are not conscientious workers and need a 'foreman' as such to keep them in line.

2. We have a lot of equipment and supplies already delivered, plumbing, electrical and painting equipment, plus hard wear fittings, most of which is stored in containers or cupboards.
We noticed certain items going 'missing' some time ago. Some plumbing fittings, paint brushes as well as off cuts of steel and external gyproc boards offcuts.

This weekend I came across other missing items, namely hard wear for the doors.
Originally, I purchased 7 magnetic door stops to keep doors latched open if required, and two hook and eye catches for the front entrance doors. Only 6 magnetic catches and 1 hook and eye remain.
A double padlock pack (same keys) for the front and rear entrance doors, gone!

Now we can't start pointing fingers, although we do explicitly trust the builder, but some of the hired help cronies he employs are rather suspect. We caught a couple looking in boxes and generally being nosy bastards and routing through our stuff a couple of weeks ago.
The wife is reluctant to tell the builder exactly why we're not allowing access when we can't be present, due to him losing face in the matter.

Both the wife and I are in agreement, once the ceilings are finished, we'll be searching for a different group to do the floor and wall tiling. The wife wants in completing in a week, not months, and if needs she'll close her business for a week, so we can be present.

At least a couple of ceilings, supposedly ready for painting.

257.thumb.JPG.5d1de38c9381db763551c8e0162138ea.JPG

258.thumb.JPG.fda9094d80c3b0472fbacb91783c28c6.JPG

We'll find out this forthcoming weekend.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Faz said:

They don't have all the tools for the job and are continually using mine.
So far, drills, bits, grinders, screwdrivers and other assorted hand tools. They come armed with a bucket, hammer and trowel.

I can imagine the scene 😂

9 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I can imagine the scene 😂

When I was in the trade, a poor tradesman always blamed his tools for a shabby job.
Here, you can only blame the 'tools' and I don't mean the trowels or screwdrivers. 🤭

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Faz said:

When I was in the trade, a poor tradesman always blamed his tools for a shabby job.
Here, you can only blame the 'tools' and I don't mean the trowels or screwdrivers. 🤭

What's wrong with using a tape measure with 2 and bit inches broken off the end?  55  Been there Faz, even had internal walls going up like the Pisa tower coz a string line was snagged on a trestle.  My lump hammer "cornyai" got a lot of work during that 1st house build. 

At least you're doing own electrical. plumbing and fit-off.  On an Isaan fix-it job I had installed a new MCB with breakers and extra circuits to replace a 40 year old porcelain fuse single circuit that always overloaded.  Had the local Sparky tee'd up to connect the Mains cable but he arrived 2hrs late reeking of alcohol so I sent him packing and did the Live connection myself.

• Haha 1

So, what have I been up to for the last couple of weeks, apart from having to act as foreman, advisor and labourer for the 'mottly' crew.

Well, I'd pretty much come to a dead end and had expected to start painting ceilings before now.
I still have the rear and front entrance doors and frames to varnish (4 coats of clear Yacht varnish), but still with all the dust from sanding the ceilings, and labourers not coming in and out, I decided to leave that for a later date.

However, this weekend, with only the builder present and free from interruptions from the locals, I finally managed to get the external panelling on the inside gable end painted.

250.thumb.JPG.c645c6dbeb193c438019f14052e32b23.JPG

Looks can deceive, and it was a nightmare to give it 2 coats.
There isn't room to kneel, you have to shimmy on your back to get under the roof overhang, before turning onto your side to actually paint, whilst at the same time trying to prevent both the paint bucket and yourself from sliding down the roof.
Your only grip being the bolt heads that fix the roof panels.

Not the sort of job @Rookiescot would attempt, as he has no sense of adventure and living dangerously. 😂  To comply with Health and Safety, I had the wife stand underneath to break my fall should I have slid off the roof.

• Haha 2

Up until now, only the padlock on the gate prevented anyone entering, although if they scaled the wall, the front entrance doors are only held shut by a weight. The rear door has a mortice lock and two internal bolts fitted.

So on Monday, I decided to fit the mortice lock and handles to the front entrance doors.
With the doors costing over 14,000 BHT each, room for error was not an option.
One of those measure and mark jobs, then measure again to confirm, before you start drilling.
This was a heavy-duty mortice lock model, with a cylindrical barrel requiring a key to unlock from the outside, but could be locked/unlocked by a thumb screw internally.

I also fitted additional U-shackles to the front and rear doors which you can slip a padlock through for extra security.

It took 4 hours to measure, mark, drill out and fit, but the time spent was well worth it.

252.thumb.JPG.ca2a0526ca2dfbd25bfabfd09ae5bdc1.JPG

253.thumb.JPG.0e006376137587944e7c508a0fb02189.JPG

I was pleased with the overall appearance and a job well done.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

I was pleased with the overall appearance and a job well done.

Very professional!  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 2:47 PM, Faz said:

At least a couple of ceilings, supposedly ready for painting.

OK, so this weekend, my task was to paint the kitchen, bathroom and a bedroom ceiling with 2 coats of flat white emulsion. Any abnormalities ultimately stand out when the first coat is applied, and there were a few, mainly joints not sufficiently sanded down, or screw heads not sufficiently filled, which gave the appearance of dimples in the ceiling.

So Saturday after 1 coat of emulsion, the builder has to refill and re-sand certain areas, for which he doesn't have an electric sander, but a block of wood with sandpaper is sufficing for the job.
Sunday, I apply the second coat and the bathroom and bedroom ceilings are looking good, but in the kitchen the paint roller peels off a strip of a second coat of filler he applied to a joint - damn!
He's busy installing the steel framework to the third bedroom, but will attend to the issue later.

I fit whatever spotlights I can.

Bedroom 1.
PICT3851.thumb.JPG.e2fdb5a99d9e806a751f3cb256f327f7.JPG

Kitchen.

PICT3845.thumb.JPG.1377732ee6c9ecb7f8b9a0b24d20f03f.JPG

At the far end of this photo, you'll see an unpainted strip from the centre light to the far wall, where the filler detached and requires refilling and sanding again, which prevented me fitting the third spotlight.