Renovating an old rural village house.

Faz

The builder has completed the steel framework in the 3rd bedroom and now about 2/3 of fitting another ceiling frame to the front room. As time progresses, I doubt he'll get back to the issue on the kitchen ceiling, so I mix some filler and apply a second coat myself, which will be dry by the following week, enabling me to finish painting and installing the remaining spotlight to the kitchen.

Bed3.
PICT3842.thumb.JPG.30c9dcaae53c8d639ddc458e8cda9612.JPG

Front room.
PICT3853.thumb.JPG.ee2af9f3ba46c28cc90f3aab56abb230.JPG

Hopefully this coming weekend, the steel frame in the front room should be completed.
The second and third bedrooms, along with the front room, can then be boarded, filled, sanded and prepared for painting. That is at least my plan, but may not coincide with plans the builder has.

There is a lot of old furniture and supplies remaining at the house, which we moved into the central large room, giving clear access to the other rooms. This coming weekend, we need to move a lot of this stuff to the kitchen and bedroom, to create room in the large living area, which will be next and last for the steel ceiling framework to be installed.

The constant interruptions are a PITA, with villagers seeking the assistance of the Poo Yai Baan to resolve their problems. This weekend, one villager requires help filling a form from the local Amphoe, because he can neither read nor write. Another requires him to mediate with a neighbour whose cow entered his garden and ate all his plants and vegetables. He's seeking 4,000 BHT compensation, but we later learn he settled for 2,000 BHT.

• Like 1

April 21st, the wife and I are off to the UK for a break, to visit family and friends, returning May 15th.
I had hoped to have all the ceilings completed, painted and lights fitted before we embarked on our travels, but as the weeks have passed it's looked more and more less likely.

There are only 4 weekends remaining before we're off on our travels, one of which is Songkran.

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect Sir. The problem, if i am reading correctly, is that you are not supplying 1 bottle free Lao Khao at the end of each workman's shift. Certainly with the approach of Songkran you would be well attended to if free booze is offered as a perk to the werk.😄

Sorry. It was a poor attempt at humor by a fellow inmate of Wondrous Thailand!

Best of luck with your project and have a super visit to the ol' Mother Land :)

Say Hi to the Queen for me.

46 minutes ago, Raugh said:

With all due respect Sir. The problem, if i am reading correctly, is that you are not supplying 1 bottle free Lao Khao at the end of each workman's shift. Certainly with the approach of Songkran you would be well attended to if free booze is offered as a perk to the werk.😄

They don't drink 'Lao Khao' even when not on duty.
Throughout the day (if and when they turn up), their preferred refreshing drink is a bottle or two of M150, and lunch is also provided. At the end of each round of undertaking, I give a bonus, and the wives are always there to collect. 😂 (True).

55 minutes ago, Raugh said:

Best of luck with your project and have a super visit to the ol' Mother Land :)

Say Hi to the Queen for me.

You haven't heard?

It's the new King's coronation whilst I'm in the UK.
The Motherland maybe now becomes the Fatherland 🙄

• Like 1

Sat, March 25th, we arrive at 8am as usual after a 1 hour drive.
The builder arrives at 9am, completing the installation of the steel ceiling framework in the front room, then proceeding to start fixing the ceiling plasterboards in the front room and the other previously prepared two bedrooms.

Meanwhile, I mask up the kitchen window and door frames and give the walls a first base coat of Dulux 'Inspire' white flat emulsion.

280.thumb.JPG.a32345f49f19ea30a978a7ccc07de2e4.JPG

281.thumb.JPG.4ea526528940a5ab35f58366edf6e61c.JPG

The first coat also highlights any abnormalities, such as holes or lumps, that may require attention before applying the final coat. Sure enough, a dozen small defects are highlighted that require sanding, or filling, or both. It doesn't take long to attend to these areas, as filler dries rapidly in 38C temperatures. 

A number of 'furry' friends tend to visit whenever we're at the house to take shade and sleep on the balcony, or even inside the house, as depicted in the post above.
Although we close the gate, the builder and his visitors do not, and frequently we can have as many as 5 of the villagers dogs congregating for some R and R in the shade.

For a number of weeks, I suspected the builder wanted to finish the ceilings before Songkran to get paid for the holiday period. As the weekends have come and gone, it became more and more apparent to myself, this was unlikely. He requested could we arrive on Sunday at 7am, which he considered sufficient time to complete the boarding of 3 rooms and start erecting the steel ceiling frame in the main lounge, the biggest area in the house, measuring some 6 metres x 10.5 metres.

We duly arrived by 7am, he arrived 8am.
During the course of the morning, his wife called him 8 times and two villagers called in to speak to him.
When he then took a 2-hour lunch break, I envisaged, with the ceiling plasterboards all up, he'd barely have enough time to screed the joints ready for sanding and painting.
We'd already informed him, come 1600 - 1630, we'd be packing up to drive the hour trip back home.

After lunch, he wanted to start erecting the steel ceiling framework, whilst I insisted he finished and prepared the 3 now boarded rooms, otherwise I have little to go at the following weekend.
He literally just finished screeding and filling the board joints by 1630.
They still require sanding before I can start to paint next weekend.

I'm afraid I'm becoming more and more frustrated with his punctuality and false promises!

We have a routine in the evening when preparing for the journey back home.
The wife opens all the windows during the day, so I pack up any equipment and tools, and load the car, whilst she ensures all windows and doors are closed and locked.

It seems on Saturday evening she missed something!
On unlocking the front door, Sunday morning, we were met by the sound of whimpering and a nose protruding under a door. Somehow she missed the presence of a small dog, probably fallen asleep in the lounge area. She hadn't closed the internal door from the lounge to the kitchen area, either.

Poor might had been locked in overnight and obviously tried to find a means of escape, causing some damage in the process. Two window screens were torn to shreds, the bottom of the external kitchen door chewed and cardboard and Insulation packaging ripped.

273.thumb.JPG.e7f90677b658b37f5faaf017102003b7.JPG

274.thumb.JPG.578b08394061656d222002043eac2c22.JPG

More damage.

275.thumb.JPG.13fbd4a154f816b58869ed9eaacc5350.JPG

276.thumb.JPG.cf2b3df2e72c2cc75e21f1966a5fc9fe.JPG

The screens can be replaced, no problem, but repairing the bottom of the external rear door is more of a challenge, as this door is being clear varnished. I'll attempt to fill the damage with neutral coloured wood filler and sand down first, but if that turns out unsightly, I may have to add a strip of wood to the bottom.

I was actually more thankful and relieved that the dog only spent one night locked in. Had it been a Sunday evening, we could have been facing a totally different scenario and outcome by the following weekend.

So what happened to the dog?
It bolted as soon as it could, and we haven't seen it since, which is hardly surprising.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Ceiling Insulation.

I can highly recommend the SCG 6" ceiling insulation.
Already in rooms where it's installed, I can feel a change of temperature of around 2–3 degrees.

Home Pro originally estimated I required 45 rolls (4 m x 0.6 m) for an approx area of 162 sq metres.
With just the main living area now requiring insulating, I have 5 rolls left to cover an area of approx 63 sq metres 🤔. I calculate I require another 22 rolls to complete the job.

I should have double-checked their calculations.

Tip: Allow 10% above the coverage area due to the limited size. Cutting metre lengths off is awkward and very itchy. I preferred to overlap and double up.
Total cost for ceiling insulation now exceeds 30,000 BHT, and it will take some years to recoup any energy savings, but it's already making a difference and a more comfortable environment to relax in.

• Like 1

So Sunday, after releasing the dog from captivity, I gave the kitchen it's second, but finishing coat of white Dulux Easycare emulsion, which is washable.

282.thumb.JPG.6b450285d5f76dd341d69e71b6c6baa6.JPG

283.thumb.JPG.32d560a00234cb9c242693b4516d7400.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 12:01 PM, Faz said:

More damage.

275.thumb.JPG.13fbd4a154f816b58869ed9eaacc5350.JPG

276.thumb.JPG.cf2b3df2e72c2cc75e21f1966a5fc9fe.JPG

The screens can be replaced, no problem, but repairing the bottom of the external rear door is more of a challenge, as this door is being clear varnished. I'll attempt to fill the damage with neutral coloured wood filler and sand down first, but if that turns out unsightly, I may have to add a strip of wood to the bottom.

I was actually more thankful and relieved that the dog only spent one night locked in. Had it been a Sunday evening, we could have been facing a totally different scenario and outcome by the following weekend.

So what happened to the dog?
It bolted as soon as it could, and we haven't seen it since, which is hardly surprising.

Those dogs 😕... i better keep quiet on that subject

I was informed today after seeing a dog carcass dragged from the hiway that not too far in the past those pets were consumed by locals 😉.

Gao Lao Ma anyone ?

Sorry to hear about the interior damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, April 10th.

For the previous 4 weekends, the builder managed to install the insulation, ceiling boards, and started to skim the joints and sand down the front room, ready for painting. I temporarily installed the ceiling spots.

284.thumb.JPG.8639af1d1512ce6c9bfb0399840392dd.JPG

285.thumb.JPG.17439c06c9f4bbfc91ea94e23124deb0.JPG

In the meantime, I had hoped to complete painting the 3 bedrooms before our break and trip to the UK.

I'm using two coats of Dulux white Inspire, which is a matt finish for all the ceilings and a single base coat for the walls, then Dulux white Easy Clean as the finishing and second coat for the walls.
The Dulux Inspire is approx 1,000 BHT per 5 gallon tub.
The Dulux Easy Clean is approx 2,000 BHT per 9 litre tub.

It takes approx 2 hours to clean the rooms and mask up window/door frames and sockets, which I prefer to do before starting to paint. Cutting in around the edges with a brush is also time-consuming, compared to applying a coat to the ceilings/walls via a roller.

After the 3 bedroom ceilings were painted, it was time to start on the walls.

Cutting in with the base coat.

286.thumb.JPG.1ce240abbea5956868e7918d0be50992.JPG

287.thumb.JPG.a2df7691832f43bdcd01c64d449c3aba.JPG

As none of the walls had been previously painted, when the first base coat is applied, it highlights any small holes or cement snots from when they were rendered.
Holes can be filled, cement snots scrapped, or sanded down, then touched up before finally being ready for the final semi sheen coat.

It can take 2 days to completely paint one 3.5 m x 3.2 m bedroom out - a weekend!

It took 2 weekends to complete.

293.thumb.JPG.bc755c4b66249956d7921688a45494d5.JPG

294.thumb.JPG.8ca493fca631382613e848fbee0a9b56.JPG

Extra steel was welded both across and to the steel roofing trusses to prevent any sag when the boards were fixed.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 12:05 PM, Faz said:

clearing out and discarding the rubbish

You must have the gift of the gab! I have tried just about everything to have my wife start to separate 'needed' from rubbish. An old cardboard box? No, I might need that!

I surmised 6 weeks ago that the builders' intention was to complete boarding all the ceilings prior to Songkran, so he could draw the remainder of his labour costs, which were 20K, but he previously had an advance of 5K, leaving a 15K balance on completion.

It became evident that due to the nature of his unreliability to turn up when expected, it was highly unlikely he would complete the task before Songkran, unless he pulled his finger out.

The previous weekend, he discussed his intention to board the ceiling prior to Songkran and draw 10K, the remaining 5K to be paid after he skimmed and sanded the joints ready for painting, which obviously wouldn't be until the end of May, which I thought was reasonable and agreed to. We usually arrive between 0830 - 0900 in the mornings, but he requested if we could arrive earlier for 0800 this weekend, so he had a chance to complete the boarding.
From previous experiences, when we've made the effort to arrive earlier than usual, the one person who either turns up late or not at all is him!
It takes an hour to 75 minutes to drive from our location to the village, the same returning. Some of the roads we have to take are unlit, and I prefer not to travel during darkness, for obvious reasons.
The builder is happy to turn up late and work until light stops play, as he literally lives 100 m away.

I'd hoped to complete painting out the 3 bedrooms before breaking for our UK trip - however!

• Like 1

Sat, April 8th, we arrive at 0750.
The builders' labourer arrives 0810, with the builder arriving 0830.

The 3 bedroom ceilings have already had two coats of emulsion, and one bedroom also having both the base coat and finishing coat on the walls. The plan is to finish painting out the other two bedrooms.
The day starts out OK and I manage to give the remaining 2 bedroom walls a base coat, then I notice they are struggling with the ceiling boards;
1. The builder has dropped the height of the mini scaffold platform by about 9" and whereas previously his labourer, who is only about 5' 2" managed to support the boards with his head, he now can't reach, and his arms, now above his head, are aching from taking the weight of the board while the builder gets sufficient screws in place to hold it.
2. There are corner pillars and electrical trunking where the boards need cutting to fit. The old guy (labourer) is measuring and cutting the boards face up, meaning when they are flipped for fixing, he's cut the wrong corner or wrong edge. Not once, but now twice, and 2 boards are waste -FFS!
Luckily, I ordered 2 extra boards for just such errors, but further such errors will mean ordering extra and paying for delivery.

For the remainder of Saturday afternoon, I have to assist them with marking, cutting and fixing the boards, and with that goes any chance of finishing the 3 bedrooms.

The labourer we were told was an experienced semi-retired ex builder, who had his own team of labourers.
Jeez, if he can't work out which way the boards are fixed (off-white down, beige up against the steel fixings) to make any cuts, the mind boggles what his previous work looked like, and the builder appears just as clueless.

By Saturday evening, we manage to get about two thirds of the ceiling boards fixed in place.

295.thumb.JPG.92efd830b40f14c1fb8118f9870f8c6e.JPG

296.thumb.JPG.bff1e6e85da11c38bf0a893a1593c93b.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

Jeez, if he can't work out which way the boards are fixed (off-white down, beige up against the steel fixings) to make any cuts, the mind boggles what his previous work looked like, and the builder appears just as clueless.

It seems like you are just going to have to bite your tongue, smile and gently suggest the way to do things. I have found that impatience or anger only drives a wedge into work.

1 hour ago, Viggen840 said:

You must have the gift of the gab! I have tried just about everything to have my wife start to separate 'needed' from rubbish. An old cardboard box? No, I might need that!

I leave it for so long, then dispose of it when they're not around.

We once had a rat, that soon became 7, and their nest was made of chewed cardboard and paper that they kept for selling. I threw the lot out one day, but it was a month later before they noticed.
They exclaimed they could have received 20 BHT for the rubbish.
I gladly gave them 20 BHT 😂

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

It seems like you are just going to have to bite your tongue, smile and gently suggest the way to do things. I have found that impatience or anger only drives a wedge into work.

Oh, I've bitten my tongue so many times, it now resembles a patchwork quilt.

The boards come in pairs, with the surface ceiling sides placed together to prevent damage.
When you tear off the strip that joins them, one board will have the beige finish face up, the other the off-white finish face up. For the board that has the finished off-white surface face up, this will be flipped over to affix to the ceiling. The easiest way is to flip the board over as it would be affixed to the ceiling before measuring and cutting.

Despite two attempts to explain and demonstrate, when you get that 'blank' stare, you know you're going to have to intervene to prevent a disaster - at your expense.

You can teach an old dog new tricks, but old Thais are to set in their ways to learn anything new.

• Like 1

Sunday, April 9th, we arrive at 0750.
The labourer arrives at 0805, but by 0830 the builder is a no show.
The old guy, fed up with waiting, walks across to his home to enquire. 10 minutes later, he returns to advise us he's gone to watch the Moto cross rally being held near the village !!!

I manage to give one bedroom it's final second and finishing coat of paint, and another the first base coat on the walls, but I was already resigned to the fact I wouldn't get both completed after the previous day's interruption.

I could guarantee, the builder would turn up after lunch expecting to stay until 1800 to complete fixing the ceiling boards, but that just wasn't going to happen. Didn't even have the decency to advise us or his labourer of his change in plans.

This is where he got up to;

298.thumb.JPG.bcc5130f3abeb3057bed27f9719b4c49.JPG

299.JPG

Time to clean the roller and paint tray, a general tidy up, dispose of the rubbish, ensure all doors and windows are secured and locked and make our way back home -enough is enough.

"What about his money for Songkran" asked the wife.
"F*** him", I replied.

After we return from the UK, and he finishes the ceiling, we certainly won't be employing him to do the tiling.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Faz said:

I leave it for so long, then dispose of it when they're not around.

We once had a rat, that soon became 7, and their nest was made of chewed cardboard and paper that they kept for selling. I threw the lot out one day, but it was a month later before they noticed.
They exclaimed they could have received 20 BHT for the rubbish.
I gladly gave them 20 BHT 😂

my wife and mother are the complete opposite, anything placed down is thrown away within hours if not claimed!

The best thing is my wife does it to me all the time...........but when she goes home, her Mom does it to her 555

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Faz said:

Sunday, April 9th, we arrive at 0750.
The labourer arrives at 0805, but by 0830 the builder is a no show.
The old guy, fed up with waiting, walks across to his home to enquire. 10 minutes later, he returns to advise us he's gone to watch the Moto cross rally being held near the village !!!

I manage to give one bedroom it's final second and finishing coat of paint, and another the first base coat on the walls, but I was already resigned to the fact I wouldn't get both completed after the previous day's interruption.

I could guarantee, the builder would turn up after lunch expecting to stay until 1800 to complete fixing the ceiling boards, but that just wasn't going to happen. Didn't even have the decency to advise us or his labourer of his change in plans.

This is where he got up to;

298.thumb.JPG.bcc5130f3abeb3057bed27f9719b4c49.JPG

299.JPG

Time to clean the roller and paint tray, a general tidy up, dispose of the rubbish, ensure all doors and windows are secured and locked and make our way back home -enough is enough.

"What about his money for Songkran" asked the wife.
"F*** him", I replied.

After we return from the UK, and he finishes the ceiling, we certainly won't be employing him to do the tiling.

You are lucky you have your own skills and knowledge, I would be screwed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1