News Forum - Singapore hangs a fifth person in four months

Thaiger

4 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Are you suggesting that the death penalty will totally eliminate drug trafficking?  If so, no I don't think it will.  However do I think that harsh penalties for drug trafficking and the death penalty for repeated offenders will lessen it. Yes I do.  Will it deter every person, no.  Some will still chance it, others will find the death penalty a severe deterrent and not enter the trade.  One thing is for sure if you execute repeat offenders their life of pushing drugs is over with permanently.  

Contrast that to the situtation in New York where a man was arrested 44 times yet still on the streets and he beat a Thai actress.  Lenient punsihment only leads to disregard for the consequences of ones actions. 

One only has to look at what happened in California where the penalties for shoplifting were removed.  Now the city is rampant with shoplifters.  

image.thumb.png.993ce35f0a16ef54bcd4484f1107d6d2.png

But again you have zero evidence that the death penalty is a deterrent - it drives the death sentence fans nuts that they can’t prove it, and they can’t prove it because it isn’t, if it was there wouldn’t be any drug trafficking right ? 

However, I think third time of asking, do you think executing innocent people (incl potentially your family) is a price worth paying to have the death sentence in situ - yes or no ? 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:15 PM, vlad said:

I wonder if those wanting less harsher punishments for drug offenders would feel watching their Son or Daughter go from a beautiful kid with their life in front of them decline to a thieving wreck full of bruises and scabs and finally receiving that phone call were sorry we found your child dead in the gutter from a drug overdose before there 20. Would you still want the person dealing the drugs that killed your child being counseled?  

I’m not sure anyone is arguing for less harsh sentences. Jail terms are very heavy for drug related crimes even in soft ol UK.

I would want them to go to prison (and once in there for sure rehabilitated) - I would also be asking myself where in my parenting did I go so wrong that my kids weren’t aware of the dangers. 

4 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Several points you are a typical liberal in the sense WHICH COUNTRY WITH LIBERAL penalties for drug trafficking have low incidence of drug trafficking.  PS the USA has on average 17 months for drug trafficking.  Fact 100,000 people die each year from the illegal drugs these despicable people push.  So in your mind, the lives of those responsible for those deaths are somehow more important than the lives of the 100,000 people who die each and every year becauses of their activities. 

All one has to do is look at recent events in Thailand with the sanctioning of marijuana to see that people who were previously reluctant to try it are not becoming addicted to it.  So this idea that legalizing drugs to stop the drug traffickers is ludicrous.  All you do is put the government in the role of being the pusher and you likely increase the number of users. 

Perhaps you fear an innocent person being executed.  Let me say, I have a far greater faith that the governments will excercise extreme caution in executing people for drug trafficking.  When however they see someone who is repeatedly arrested that is not a "mistake" that is a pattern. 

Your arguement that the death penalty is not a deterrent is just as hollow as saying that a 100 baht fine for drunk driving is just as much a deterrent as a penalty of 1 year in jail.   If I fear only 17 months in jail in the USA but can make millions I am more likely to do it than if I know if I am caught I am going to be executed and not in 30 years but in 30 days.  A large proportion of those on "death row" die in prison not on the gallows. 

Show me where your lenient attitude towards drug trafficking has lessened the incidence of drug related deaths in the USA.  

I say be caught for drug trafficking a severe punishment.  Do it again and make sure that the person does not reak death on other people again.  You see I have more empathy for the victims of the drug trafficker than I do for the life of the drug trafficker.  Call that barbarian if you must. 

First paragraph virtually unintelligible (take a deep breath before posting?)

Second paragraph - wow that was a mighty quick addiction endemic - got anything to back that ludicrous assertion up ? (and hasn’t the Thai courts just overturned it anyway?)

Third paragraph - that you have ‘faith’ in governments that have persistently murdered/incarcerated innocent people is kind of telling. ‘Perhaps I fear an innocent person is executed’ you say ? Er yeah sure I fear that, and you don’t ? How bizarre. 

Fourth paragraph - it’s not a deterrent and I’m 100% sure you can’t prove it is. Just to break this down into really really simple terms for you,  the US has a ludicrous murder record with a massacre every other day, yet they have a death sentence in place 🤔 so where do you want to go next with this deterrent thing ? 

I don’t have a lenient attitude towards any crime drug related, where have I said that ? we were talking about the death sentence. Try and keep hold of the differences. 

Any advocate of the death sentence is, IMO, indeed a barbarian who’s sole purpose is revenge and probably didn’t have the best parental guidance growing up. it fixes nothing, wastes lives, costs extreme amounts of money and achieves absolutely nothing. It is pure bloodlust. 

Interestingly I was trying to find an academic who supported the death penalty for an intelligent take of his/her reasoning but couldn’t even find one. Perhaps it’s an IQ related thing ? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Benroon said:

But again you have zero evidence that the death penalty is a deterrent - it drives the death sentence fans nuts that they can’t prove it, and they can’t prove it because it isn’t, if it was there wouldn’t be any drug trafficking right ? 

And you provide zero evidence that it is not.  I have shown that weak laws such as in the USA have produced 100,000 deaths annually.  17 months average sentence.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result.  

As said, one thing is for sure, if a person repeatedly is convicted of trafficking in drugs and is executed that person has no more victims.  Strange as it might seem, I care less about the loss of that persons life and more about the lives of the victims than you apparently do. 

19 hours ago, Benroon said:

Interestingly I was trying to find an academic who supported the death penalty for an intelligent take of his/her reasoning but couldn’t even find one. Perhaps it’s an IQ related thing ? 

Did you get this from a Joe Biden speech writer.  Your entire post is complete garble. 

5 hours ago, longwood50 said:

And you provide zero evidence that it is not.  I have shown that weak laws such as in the USA have produced 100,000 deaths annually.  17 months average sentence.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result.  

As said, one thing is for sure, if a person repeatedly is convicted of trafficking in drugs and is executed that person has no more victims.  Strange as it might seem, I care less about the loss of that persons life and more about the lives of the victims than you apparently do. 

Of course I have evidence - its all around you !!! If it was a deterrent the figures would clearly show it OR the crime would be eradicated - it is neither. The death sentence is the preserve of the hard of thinking.

But again so now we're up to the FOURTH time you've dodged this so I'll put it in upper case incase you're just missing this.

IS THE EXECUTION OF INNOCENT PEOPLE TO KEEP THE DEATH SENTENCE ON THE STATUTE BOOK A PRICE WORTH PAYING - YES OR NO ?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:00 PM, longwood50 said:

All one has to do is look at recent events in Thailand with the sanctioning of marijuana to see that people who were previously reluctant to try it are not becoming addicted to it. 

I believe you meant to say "are becoming addicted to it"

Which is absolutely ludicrous thing to say

People became addicted to marijuana in the 6 weeks that it became legal?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

IS THE EXECUTION OF INNOCENT PEOPLE TO KEEP THE DEATH SENTENCE ON THE STATUTE BOOK A PRICE WORTH PAYING

I will repeat myself.  IS THE PRICE OF 100,000 DEAD EACH AND EVERY YEAR IN THE USA ALONE WORTH THE PRICE OF NOT IMPOSING THE DEATH PENALTY ON THOSE WHO ARE SHOWN TO BE REPEAT DRUG TRAFFICKERS. 

You are making the jump that the person is found with a small bag of weed and then hung.  I am saying when you can clearly demonstrate the person is unquestionably in the drug trafficking business by both the amount of product that they are distributing and their re-arrest for the same crime, the chances of them being innocent is zero.  Someone is not "mistakenly" arrested for drug trafficking multiple times.  And yes I would be there to pull the lever if asked. 

On 7/31/2022 at 11:10 AM, longwood50 said:

That is one reason why Singapore has such a low crime rate in general.  It is called zero tolerance. 

Yeah, should that also apply in California?

(Though you're completely off-topic, again)

On 8/2/2022 at 7:12 AM, longwood50 said:

One only has to look at what happened in California where the penalties for shoplifting were removed.  Now the city is rampant with shoplifters.  

One could simply introduce Sharia law: chop people's hands off for stealing an apple.

I am sure theft rates would go down, since they couldn't do it again.

39 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

I am saying when you can clearly demonstrate the person is unquestionably in the drug trafficking business by both the amount of product that they are distributing and their re-arrest for the same crime, the chances of them being innocent is zero. 

We already established that a first time trafficking offence already attracts a death sentence in Singapore.

Why do you keep ignoring this?