News Forum - Singapore hangs a fifth person in four months

Thaiger

Singapore has hanged its fifth person in the past four months. Malaysian 64 year ild Nazeri bin Lajim was hanged at 6am at Changi Prison. He was sentenced to death in 2017, five years after he was arrested with two bundles containing heroin. It is understood that his family members were at the prison to claim his body and make funeral arrangements. Anti-death penalty activist Kokila Annamalai, who was with the family at the prison today, said funeral prayers would be held at Masjid Assyakirin in Taman Jurong, Malaysia.  His remains will then be taken to the Muslim cemetery at […]

The story Singapore hangs a fifth person in four months as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Maybe Thailand should adopt Singapore laws, there would be a hanging every day.

It's a good way of cutting down the reoffending rates.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, 23RD said:

Not it’s not. There is a sucker born every day and a greedy one born every hour. This just increases the risk which increases the price which increases the profits which increases  the number of people who want a slice of a bigger pie. This solves nothing. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

People know the risk of importing drugs and if  they think the few paltry dollars they make to be used as mules it is their problem.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 23RD said:

True

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Not it’s not. There is a sucker born every day and a greedy one born every hour. This just increases the risk which increases the price which increases the profits which increases  the number of people who want a slice of a bigger pie. This solves nothing. 

Nazeri bin Lajim may find it difficult to re-offend 🙃

I wonder what might be, if all manufactures, importers, couriers and dealers (not users), faced immediate death penalties when caught red-handed?   Perhaps Thaksin had the right method way back ... 

Or, legalise all drugs?  Not an easy solution >

From Wiki: As noted by the EMCDDA, across Europe in the last decades, there has been a movement toward "an approach that distinguishes between the drug trafficker, who is viewed as a criminal, and the drug user, who is seen more as a sick person who is in need of treatment" (EMCDDA 2008, 22). A number of Latin American countries have similarly moved to reduce the penalties associated with drug use and personal possession" (Laqueur, 2015, p. 748). Mexico City has decriminalized certain drugs and Greece has just announced that it is going to do so. Spain has also followed the Portugal model. Italy after waiting 10 years to see the result of the Portugal model, which Portugal deemed a success, has since recently followed suit. In May 2014, the Criminal Chamber of the Italian Supreme Court upheld a previous decision in 2013 by Italy's Constitutional Court, to reduce the penalties for the convictions for sale of soft drugs

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Nazeri bin Lajim may find it difficult to re-offend 

lol.. true. My opinion is that the death sentence and the harshest of punishments are more of a hinderance than a help if the stated goal is to discourage trafficking in drugs. Remove the massive untaxed profits available as a result of trafficking and the trafficking problem will likely take care itself. If the govt sold the drugs, or at least taxed the sales, then the money earned could be put towards education, harm reduction & rehabilitation initiatives, prisons would less crowded and society, as a whole, would benefit. So many wins compared to a consistent repetition of losses. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jerry said:

All drug dealers should be executed on the spot.

Yes, Mr Duertes. I am sure the families and widows of slain drug dealers currently living in fear and poverty have your full support. Quick question - who should perform these executions - corrupt cops, rival drug dealers or the local clergy? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

lol.. true. My opinion is that the death sentence and the harshest of punishments are more of a hinderance than a help if the stated goal is to discourage trafficking in drugs. Remove the massive untaxed profits available as a result of trafficking and the trafficking problem will likely take care itself. If the govt sold the drugs, or at least taxed the sales, then the money earned could be put towards education, harm reduction & rehabilitation initiatives, prisons would less crowded and society, as a whole, would benefit. So many wins compared to a consistent repetition of losses. 

Fair comment and you'd have to enact new laws or harsher punishments for users found to be drug-effected by 'legally' obtained substances.   

I do like Mr Duertes method for the MrBigs 😎

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Fair comment and you'd have to enact new laws or harsher punishments for users found to be drug-effected by 'legally' obtained substances.   

I do like Mr Duertes method for the MrBigs 😎

The existing stimulant laws such as drunk driving/alcohol to a minor etc wouldn’t suffice? An intoxicant is an intoxicant. I have no issues with severe punishments for Mr Bigs although I now view the death penalty as a consequence of primitive times. Given a choice between life without parole and death I would choose death. imo, the eternity of waiting to die of old age while removed from society and locked up alone for 23 hours a day would be almost unbearable. Career criminals would probably not agree, hope springs eternal and all that stuff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fanta said:

Yes there's a suckered born everyday and there's so very nieve people who will do stupid things (like traffic drugs).

That's why I'd advocate the death sentence for traffickers and dealers the more you execute the less you've got to concentrate on the more resources you have to fight it.

The prospect of certain death and asset sizeures for their crimes will put a bit of savvy into the biggest mongs.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 23RD said:

That's why I'd advocate the death sentence for traffickers and dealers the more you execute the less you've got to concentrate on the more resources you have to fight it.

That seems reasonable if you believe you are fighting a war you can win. I think human nature determined that the war on drugs was lost before it even began. Adam Eve Apple. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Adam Eve Apple. 

But that's a fairy tale .... 555

What it needs is 23rd and his mates from Hereford to eliminate the production centres up north 😆

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fanta said:

That seems reasonable if you believe you are fighting a war you can win. I think human nature determined that the war on drugs was lost before it even began. Adam Eve Apple. 

Can it be won or just contained?

But doing something is better than doing nothing you can see the results of doing doing nothing in the US under the current Administration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

But that's a fairy tale .... 555

What it needs is 23rd and his mates from Hereford to eliminate the production centres up north 😆

When I was a Soldier we used get outside speakers to come and lecture the Battalion on the dangers of drugs every now and again. 

These speakers were former Serviceman who had failed a CDT (compulsory drugs test) and had been discharged from HM Forces as a result most of them had their lives destroyed but managed to put their lives back together with years of treatment. 

Their lectures were hard hitting about their personal experiences and the process off how drugs were manufactured,distributed and the ingredients that their mixed and cut with and these guys could speak our language.

I  used to find these lectures interesting they were short,sharp,shock therapy and the satisfying thing was they were so hard hitting especially when you find out was the ingredients and what drugs were mixed with along with the short and long term effects on the body and mental health that they would put a doubt in anyone's mind about drug use.

And to this day I'm sure these hard hitting lectures probably but a doubt into the mind of many a young Soldier about ever dabbling in drugs. 

That's why I'm a zero tolerance sort of bloke when it comes to drug dealers and traffickers. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 2

17 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Can it be won or just contained?

But doing something is better than doing nothing you can see the results of doing doing nothing in the US under the current Administration. 

Contained by dragging it out from under the veil of criminality. 

This is how bandits in Europe should be removed. Now they have to be sustained until the end of their lives from taxes.Therefore, for 10 years now, I have not paid taxes in France because this country is not working as it should. I have always been in favor of removing weeds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was a cop for many years and had people prosecuted for drugs, possession ,using, etc.

A few years ago I read a book "Chasing the scream by Johan Hari " and that changed my outlook on drugs. I still find it abhorrent and wrong to use but you will never eradicate the scourge

Make all drugs legal and you take away the profit motive for the supplier and also the illegal motive for the user. The person using it will probably not stop especially if he is addicted but the suppliers will have no incentive to supply it.

Look what has happened with "weed" in Thailand. Has Thailand become a drug invested country with weed?. No and it will not

In South Africa the same weed is legal to use and you have cut the feet off of  the suppliers.

Portugal has made drugs legal and I saw in Switzerland in 1986 already how pharmacies were supplying needles and certain drugs to drug addicts  in Zurich

Alcohol which has caused many more problems than all the drugs together is legal because right through the world their are conglomerates who make a fortune from Alcohol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RJBT said:

Make all drugs legal and you take away the profit motive for the supplier and also the illegal motive for the user

With that model we should eliminate the age to buy alcohol to cure under age drinking.  All your model would do is increase the number of addicts and make the government who is the likely supplier of those legal drugs have a profit motive.  Want proof.  Look at the government run lotteries as competitiors to illegal betting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:53 AM, Jerry said:

All drug dealers should be executed on the spot.

The comment sections in the Thaiger is an unfortunate display of the lack of those 'quality foreigners' they speak of. Maybe they should start executing people who support prostitution as well.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The other day I saw that picture taken by the James Webb Telescope where you can literally see very far back in the past and see ancient things. I saw things such as very old stars, Singapore's drugs laws and galaxies. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/23/2022 at 5:40 AM, KaptainRob said:

I do like Mr Duertes method for the MrBigs

It's Duterte.

Unfortunately, when license-to-kill meets greed & corruption, it's the small fry who are targeted and the big fish continue to thrive, as they often are senior officials, polititians & buddies, way beyond the paygrade of most law enforcers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/23/2022 at 7:49 AM, 23RD said:

Doing nothing is not the only alternative to an ultra-violent shoot-to-kill approach, though I understand how that perfectly fits your military above-the-law mentality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1