News Forum - Singapore hangs a fifth person in four months

Thaiger

4 minutes ago, astro said:

Doing nothing is not the only alternative to an ultra-violent shoot-to-kill approach, though I understand how that perfectly fits your military above-the-law mentality.

I strongly believe in justice for the weak and vulnerable people in society. 

And that involves an extreme form of justice for the dealers and distributors of this poison. 

• Like 3

On 7/23/2022 at 2:12 AM, RJBT said:

People know the risk of importing drugs and if  they think the few paltry dollars they make to be used as mules it is their problem.

What about the ones who do it unknowingly ? Worth taking them out as a price too ? That's the problem with the death sentence for any crime, leaving aside it's barbaric, you will be murdering hundreds if not more innocent people who have never put a foot wrong in their lives. Fine people say until it's their family.

After all do you know where your cases are at all times when you travel ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Belaney said:

The comment sections in the Thaiger is an unfortunate display of the lack of those 'quality foreigners' they speak of. Maybe they should start executing people who support prostitution as well.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know and understand the risk if arrested so no remorse from me. Would you carry on stealing if the law of cutting one's hands off is in Force? plus the Singaporean people won't be paying for his stay in prison from their taxes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vlad said:

You know and understand the risk if arrested so no remorse from me. Would you carry on stealing if the law of cutting one's hands off is in Force? plus the Singaporean people won't be paying for his stay in prison from their taxes.

Two quick (real) scenarios - British businessman was in business with a thai - business doing so well the thai wanted to buy him out but obviously onto a good thing the brit so no thanks. The Thai then planted a bag of heroin behind his toilet cistern and grassed him up. The brit got 20 years. However the truth was uncovered at a later time and he was freed. (By the way the planting of drugs followed by a quick call is not an unknown occurrence here so careful who you annoy)

Second one, a young thai couple had two kids, unusually he was a grafter but was tragically killed on his way to work, now with two kids and zero income the mum was desolate and far up shit street. Someone, praying on her vulnerability told her they needed some food transported to Bangkok to which she agreed desperate for the cash. Maybe not the brightest I'm not aware of her educational background but almost certainly poor. However within MINUTES of setting out the cops stopped her, knew exactly where the drugs were and she was toast. ie she had been offered up to the cops as a sacrificial lamb if they turned a blind eye to the others. She got 9 years, kids now have no parents.

In those 2 cases would you have executed the pair ? As this shit goes on all the time!

• Like 3

Your missing the Point Benroon Singapore has the Death penalty for drug dealers. Deal drugs in Singapore and risk your life. This one failed and paid the price.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

10 hours ago, vlad said:

Your missing the Point Benroon Singapore has the Death penalty for drug dealers. Deal drugs in Singapore and risk your life. This one failed and paid the price.

zero tolerance for drugs

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

22 hours ago, Belaney said:

The comment sections in the Thaiger is an unfortunate display of the lack of those 'quality foreigners' they speak of. Maybe they should start executing people who support prostitution as well.

I think that comparison is false equivalency.  Its like comparing someone who slaps another person versus one who shoots them with a gun.  Both are crimes but at a different level. 

In the USA over 100,000 people die each year from drug overdose.  The majority of those with illegals drugs.  There is no such phenomena of people dying because of prostitution. 

Drugs also spur a particularly violent culture with rival drug dealers killing each other and innocent bystanders as they fight with competitiors.  Again no such thing happens with prostituion. Perhaps people "steal" to fund their activities with prostitutes, but we know lots of people steal and yes even go into prostitution to fund their drug habits. 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

16 hours ago, Benroon said:

Two quick (real) scenarios - British businessman was in business with a thai - business doing so well the thai wanted to buy him out but obviously onto a good thing the brit so no thanks. The Thai then planted a bag of heroin behind his toilet cistern and grassed him up. The brit got 20 years. However the truth was uncovered at a later time and he was freed. (By the way the planting of drugs followed by a quick call is not an unknown occurrence here so careful who you annoy)

Second one, a young thai couple had two kids, unusually he was a grafter but was tragically killed on his way to work, now with two kids and zero income the mum was desolate and far up shit street. Someone, praying on her vulnerability told her they needed some food transported to Bangkok to which she agreed desperate for the cash. Maybe not the brightest I'm not aware of her educational background but almost certainly poor. However within MINUTES of setting out the cops stopped her, knew exactly where the drugs were and she was toast. ie she had been offered up to the cops as a sacrificial lamb if they turned a blind eye to the others. She got 9 years, kids now have no parents.

In those 2 cases would you have executed the pair ? As this shit goes on all the time!

And don’t forget that 25% of any assets seized go to the arresting cops and 5% to try informant.  Unless the person can prove with bank books that the money was earned legally then it might be difficult for the person to keep their assets. Money, money, money…. 

On 7/23/2022 at 8:53 AM, Jerry said:

All drug dealers should be executed on the spot.

Cool, everyone has lots of opinions. You apparently share one with Osama bin Ladin. Care to actually give any justification?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Benroon said:

wo quick (real) scenarios - British businessman was in business with a thai - business doing so well the thai wanted to buy him out but obviously onto a good thing the brit so no thanks. The Thai then planted a bag of heroin behind his toilet cistern and grassed him up. The brit got 20 years. However the truth was uncovered at a later time and he was freed. (By the way the planting of drugs followed by a quick call is not an unknown occurrence here so careful who you annoy)

Second one, a young thai couple had two kids, unusually he was a grafter

Perhaps, but lets me say I am skeptical.  Do you have any links to these stories? They sound like urban legend. 

Is justice perfect no, however if it is indeed fair a person can certainly be correctly assessed and  judged as a "drug dealer" versus someone who is aprehended with drugs in their possession. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have been to Singapore several times.  They are very open about pelatties for violating their laws.  I don't know why it should be any sort of an issue over the death penalty.  They very clearly upon entry to the country give each passenger a list of the major infractions that are punishable.  Among them is that the penalty for drug dealing is death. Seems pretty clear to me, if you want to deal drugs but don't like the death penalty, then become a drug dealer in another country with more lenient laws.  Otherwise you were warned and chose to take the chance anyway. 

image.thumb.png.8235d0881d4418ed516193ec29a564e6.png

Edited by KaptainRob
Frivolous image removed
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 8:53 AM, Jerry said:

And like they did a few weeks back when MJ was 'legalised', release the prisoners from their sentences................ooops he's dead!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vlad said:

Correct longwood only a fool or someone stupid thinks they can beat the system.

It isn't even beating the system.  The USA has a crime problem.  In part because of its leniency towards offenders.  Case in point is the man they just convicted of beating the Thai Model.  He has had 44 prior arrests since 1997.  Mind you those are the ones they had enough evidence to charge him with, and don't include other crimes that he was not identified as the perpetrator in.  Why would he continue to engage in criminal behavior.  1. He was out of prison despite 44 prior arrests 2. He didn't fear being apprehended because the punishment he received in the past was so minor. 

In Singapore this man would have been pushing up the grass from the root side.  Now who do I feel empathy towards.  Certainly not him.  I have great empathy towards the victims.  Same with Singapore and the death penalty.  Empathy for the drug dealer, no.  Empathy for the victims that he at the very least addicted, potentially killed with overdoses and their families I have great empathy towards.  

It is said that for punishment to be an effective deterrent that the certainty of capture, the certainty of conviction, and the certainty of a quick and severe punishment are the greatest factors.  Having someone believe they can get away with it, or that the punishment will not be too severe only encourages more people to chance it. 

image.png.c1d4117dd10fca70e5d6a99149333a3c.png

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, Jerry said:

Including big pharma and the medical professionals that aid? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Singapore is a vile country with an execution rate per capita higher than Saudi Arabia and for pretty minimal amounts of drugs.

Executing drug mules won't do an iota to discourage trafficking. The traffickers, who are not the drug mules, prey on poor and desperate people. If the mule gets caught, they can always find another desperate person to become a mule. It's ineffective and disproportionately affects the lowest-rung of the supply chain while doing nothing to stop the organised crime gangs that distribute it. 

These harsh penalties are premised on the notion that they reduce supply and thus consumption, but time and again, the statistics show that this is not the case, as consumption is rising in most countries with these harsh penalties. 

And I'm not even going to get into the criminalisation of recreational users for possession of minor amounts or simply testing positive on a urine test, which also disproportionately affects the lower socioeconomic rungs and ethnic minorities. Malays make up 13% of the population but 84% of all executions for drug trafficking.

Control of drug use in society requires a much more nuanced approach than the heavy hammer that is Singaporean policy. 

image.png.9ce581390535d510494bfb1dbf15712b.png

https://www.singapore-samizdat.com/singapore-war-on-drugs-social-impact/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, Fanta said:

And don’t forget that 25% of any assets seized go to the arresting cops and 5% to try informant.  Unless the person can prove with bank books that the money was earned legally then it might be difficult for the person to keep their assets. Money, money, money…. 

It would be even harder to keep there assets or to regain them if they're dead. 

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, Shishi said:

What a shame, A draconian law in an advance country, Hope they follow Portuguese model on how to solve drugs crises.

Hope is not a strategy and had been warned

On 7/26/2022 at 5:36 AM, js89 said:

Singapore is a vile country with an execution rate per capita higher than Saudi Arabia and for pretty minimal amounts of drugs.

Executing drug mules won't do an iota to discourage trafficking. The traffickers, who are not the drug mules, prey on poor and desperate people. If the mule gets caught, they can always find another desperate person to become a mule. It's ineffective and disproportionately affects the lowest-rung of the supply chain while doing nothing to stop the organised crime gangs that distribute it. 

These harsh penalties are premised on the notion that they reduce supply and thus consumption, but time and again, the statistics show that this is not the case, as consumption is rising in most countries with these harsh penalties. 

And I'm not even going to get into the criminalisation of recreational users for possession of minor amounts or simply testing positive on a urine test, which also disproportionately affects the lower socioeconomic rungs and ethnic minorities. Malays make up 13% of the population but 84% of all executions for drug trafficking.

Control of drug use in society requires a much more nuanced approach than the heavy hammer that is Singaporean policy. 

image.png.9ce581390535d510494bfb1dbf15712b.png

https://www.singapore-samizdat.com/singapore-war-on-drugs-social-impact/

That is why I like to live in Singapore. Safe and no junkies around you.

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

On 7/25/2022 at 2:45 PM, longwood50 said:

It isn't even beating the system.  The USA has a crime problem.  In part because of its leniency towards offenders.  Case in point is the man they just convicted of beating the Thai Model.  He has had 44 prior arrests since 1997.  Mind you those are the ones they had enough evidence to charge him with, and don't include other crimes that he was not identified as the perpetrator in.  Why would he continue to engage in criminal behavior.  1. He was out of prison despite 44 prior arrests 2. He didn't fear being apprehended because the punishment he received in the past was so minor. 

3. He has psychiatric issues.

What's that got to do with Singapore?

Draconian laws obviously do not stop people from doing things against the laws.

If you thought you'd be caught, you wouldn't do it, even for less than death penalty.

The deterrent model has failed, time to realise it and change....

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, 23RD said:

I strongly believe in justice for the weak and vulnerable people in society. 

No, you don't, because they are the 'collateral' damage in the ultra-violent, lawless approach you applaud.

• Haha 1

At least Singapore isn't a war-mongering empire extending culture.

So....it could be worse. Their judicial systems and laws work for them.

Harsh critics need to check their priority list and judge what is truly nasty and what isn't.

7 hours ago, astro said:

No, you don't, because they are the 'collateral' damage in the ultra-violent, lawless approach you applaud.

I nearly choked on my cornflakes there astro reading your post.

Now you're a person who wants to decriminalise drugs the funding source for misery for millions of people around the World in the shape of organised crime,human trafficking, terrorism,  and indebted servitude. 

My stance is zero tolerance so I'll say again well done Singapore for hanging a 5th trafficker in 4 months.

Edited by 23RD
  • Like 1