News Forum - Covid test confusion ruins UK family holiday to Thailand

Thaiger

11 minutes ago, ace035 said:

I don't know if we have a same hospital with my Test & Go, I'm staying at Mercure Hotel Sukhumvit 11 & partnered with Bangpakok 9 In'tl Hospital, I just have to verify with Tune Insurance through my agent.

Yes that is the one

Now I'm not saying any of my plans would absolutely work

But you should arm yourself with all the ammo you can

In almost every incident I've read about itz it seems none of them had any info with them

You get into a positive scenario

And you start pulling out papers with you policy and network list

That puts them on their back foot 

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes that is the one

Now I'm not saying any of my plans would absolutely work

But you should arm yourself with all the ammo you can

In almost every incident I've read about itz it seems none of them had any info with them

You get into a positive scenario

And you start pulling out papers with you policy and network list

That puts them on their back foot 

Exactly, I have 6 more weeks to arm myself with everything I have you know, I do not trust any of those folks including my covid agent. I'm sure he'll ignore me once I get positive and some of them will not make an effort to call the hospital and fix the issues with my insurance.

Regarding my E-VISA, it got kicked back, I have no clue why they want a FBI background check and a medical certificate from my doctor. So, in progress.

Pro Tip: ask your insurance company if quarantine costs are covered in any circumstances upfront BEFORE the trip. 

i did and Hanse Merkur Insurance covers all. Paid 9€ premium for Covid-19 insurance (up to 56 days) just in case. 

DO NOT BUY ANY THAI INSURANCE 

Edited by PfizerModernaJohnson
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Exactly, I have 6 more weeks to arm myself with everything I have you know, I do not trust any of those folks including my covid agent. I'm sure he'll ignore me once I get positive and some of them will not make an effort to call the hospital and fix the issues with my insurance.

Regarding my E-VISA, it got kicked back, I have no clue why they want a FBI background check and a medical certificate from my doctor. So, in progress.

For an E-Visa tourist visa ?

That seems very odd

Background check and medical would be for a long term visa, I would think 

34 minutes ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

Pro Tip: ask your insurance company if quarantine costs are covered in any circumstances upfront BEFORE the trip. 

i did and Hanse Merkur Insurance covers all. Paid 9€ premium for Covid-19 insurance (up to 56 days) just in case. 

DO NOT BUY ANY THAI INSURANCE 

Yes but you will be fighting with the hospital to not pay upfront in that scenario

Even before covid, they want you to pay upfront and submit the claims

It's always been that way in Thailand 

And it really is up to the hospitals if they are willing to deal with your insurance 

They have no obligation to do so

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

For an E-Visa tourist visa ?

That seems very odd

Background check and medical would be for a long term visa, I would think 

Yeah, the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles fu***d it up big time, just found out that they follow the consulate in Washington D.C about the STV(Special Tourist Visa) which is a 90 days stay in Thailand. I'm only be in Thailand for 60 days which is a single entry tourist visa, I tried calling them many times and they are not answering only by emails.

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes but you will be fighting with the hospital to not pay upfront in that scenario

Even before covid, they want you to pay upfront and submit the claims

It's always been that way in Thailand 

And it really is up to the hospitals if they are willing to deal with your insurance 

They have no obligation to do so

They always dealt with my insurance because i have no money! 

insurances and hospitals are a common thing and working together quite well. 

i work in a big hospital that’s normal and never had any problems even in Thailand  

choose good insurance and good private hospitals and there shouldn’t be any problems even its 1,2,3,4,5 or 100 million baht.  

Edited by PfizerModernaJohnson
  • Thanks 1

It’s been about money the whole time. We all know it can happen. I’m glad the family had a chance to get a return trip home instead of enduring the prolonged agony of what was to come for them.  

• Like 1

I guess thats similar to Israeli guy who tested negative prior to flying yet tests positive on arrival, skips quarantine and flees to Koh Samui, police catch him and 3 separate hospitals test him negative!!! I have read quite a number of similar stories in Thailand. Anyone showing no symptoms should be properly retested free of charge, word soon gets out and tourism in Thailand will take yet another hit!!! When will Thailand ever learn? 

• Like 1

It is becoming increasingly difficult to test negative (for a number of reasons)... 1.) The virus is literally everywhere, and 2.) Once you contract covid it becomes increasly difficult to produce a negative test over a sustained period of time (up to 3 months; even if not showing symptoms). Until there is a more meaningful test that coincides/lines up with the seriousness of the infection being tested, we will  inevitably continue to treat everyone as equally infected/sick, and this clown show never ends. PCR and ATK are now generally useless for the purpose for which they are being used. Infection is not serious illness, and shouldn't be treated as such.

• Like 4

On 4/15/2022 at 9:37 AM, Soidog said:

Finally, you are forgetting one very important input the UK have had to this pandemic. They created one of the worlds leading vaccines. You are most welcome! 

I’m not anti-UK. I don’t like people, who talk like they are superior to other, even about topics where their country was a total fail. 

I’m from a country, which developed the first and leading of the world’s vaccines, better than Astra. So no reason to be grateful for yours. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Once you contract covid it becomes increasly difficult to produce a negative test over a sustained period of time (up to 3 months; even if not showing symptoms).

I haven't tested positive once since I recovered from Covid.

I've known several people who had this happen to them. At least 2 people were not "allowed" to see the results of their tests. I believe for many businesses providing quarantine solutions, it has become a grifter's paradise. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:34 PM, Graham said:

Could a second test in LOS not have been requested  ?

A friend of mine tested positive upon arrival, and they refused a second test for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Michael0510 said:

I’m not anti-UK. I don’t like people, who talk like they are superior to other, even about topics where their country was a total fail. 

I’m from a country, which developed the first and leading of the world’s vaccines, better than Astra. So no reason to be grateful for yours. 

Why is it talking like you are superior if the facts happen to be true. Facts are facts and nothing I can do about that. I’m not sure why you think the U.K. was a total fail?  As far as I can see it’s fully functional and now largely past the pandemic. 

Anyway. Try to stay on topic old sport. This is about a guy who had a bad experience and left Thailand following a problem with his sons Covid status. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

They always dealt with my insurance because i have no money! 

insurances and hospitals are a common thing and working together quite well. 

i work in a big hospital that’s normal and never had any problems even in Thailand  

choose good insurance and good private hospitals and there shouldn’t be any problems even its 1,2,3,4,5 or 100 million baht.  

That is simply not true, all over the world, not just in Thailand 

If the hospital isn't in your insurances network, than they can and most do, demand payment up front 

And make you deal with submitting the claim

You can't expect a foreign hospital to call an overseas insurance company

My Manulife Travel Insurance through Allianz states

If asked to pay up front

Call Allianz Global Assistance immediately. They will attempt to arrange direct billing with the medical provider so you’re not out of pocket. Acceptance of billing information is solely at the discretion of the medical provider, so at times members may be required to provide the up-front payment. Ensure you obtain an itemized invoice for your claim submission.

I have a question and I don't seem to be able to find a definitive answer. 

I contracted Covid-19 about 2 &1/2 weeks ago, I live in Australia so I was required to isolate for 7 days which I did. I live by myself so this was not an issue. After this as I was asymptomatic I was free to leave isolation and go back to my normal life without the requirement of another test. I am however required to complete a Rapid Antigen Test to return to my workplace, this test returned a faint positive. Due to having already having completed isolation and being asymptomatic and classed as a critical worker I was given an exemption to return to work.

I was due to fly to Thailand yesterday (16th April) so I had to push this trip back a month and am now due to arrive on the 14th of May.

As the Test and Go scheme currently stands, due to the fact that I could possibly still be shedding the virus there is a chance that I may return a positive PCR or Rapid Antigen Test (depending on what test is required at time of entry). I will get a Certificate of Recovery which has been mentioned as a requirement in case of a positive result. But I cant find any information about what happens from this point forward.

There doesn't seem to be any indication that this scenario has been taken into consideration regarding the Thailand Pass SHA+ and covid testing requirements. 

Actually I have a few questions but they are all related to the same issue and based on the assumption that I will still need to go through the Thailand Pass process;

1. Will I still be required to complete a test on arrival into Thailand even though I will be presenting a Certificate of Recovery.

and if so

2. What will happen if I return a positive test result. Will the Certificate of Recovery make the test result redundant.

or

3. Will the Certificate of Recovery be ignored and will I be treated as a standard positive case and be forced to go into quarantine.

Any information or links would be greatly appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

You never will get a definitive answer, The whole world has gone mad, Governments are making contradicting policies, The people have lost their balls to stand up. Politicians flout the rules they make for you and I. Watch the movie 1984 to understand whats going on. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/

1 hour ago, Mazz11 said:

I contracted Covid-19 about 2 &1/2 weeks ago, I live in Australia so I was required to isolate for 7 days which I did. I live by myself so this was not an issue. After this as I was asymptomatic I was free to leave isolation and go back to my normal life without the requirement of another test. I am however required to complete a Rapid Antigen Test to return to my workplace, this test returned a faint positive. Due to having already having completed isolation and being asymptomatic and classed as a critical worker I was given an exemption to return to work.

I was due to fly to Thailand yesterday (16th April) so I had to push this trip back a month and am now due to arrive on the 14th of May.

As the Test and Go scheme currently stands, due to the fact that I could possibly still be shedding the virus there is a chance that I may return a positive PCR or Rapid Antigen Test (depending on what test is required at time of entry). I will get a Certificate of Recovery which has been mentioned as a requirement in case of a positive result. But I cant find any information about what happens from this point forward.

There doesn't seem to be any indication that this scenario has been taken into consideration regarding the Thailand Pass SHA+ and covid testing requirements. 

Actually I have a few questions but they are all related to the same issue and based on the assumption that I will still need to go through the Thailand Pass process;

1. Will I still be required to complete a test on arrival into Thailand even though I will be presenting a Certificate of Recovery.

and if so

2. What will happen if I return a positive test result. Will the Certificate of Recovery make the test result redundant.

or

3. Will the Certificate of Recovery be ignored and will I be treated as a standard positive case and be forced to go into quarantine.

Any information or links would be greatly appreciated.

There was a poster on here from the UK 

She had similar situation and tested positive 

She had to isolate in hotel for around 2 days while the CoR got situated 

Sorry I don't remember the name of the thread to reference 

I think you definitely have to take a test on arrival still 

14 hours ago, Badspotteddog said:

A friend of mine tested positive upon arrival, and they refused a second test for him.

Bring along some Antigen test kit and test yourself. 

On 4/14/2022 at 5:42 PM, Thaiger said:

My name is Pete Passport. I am a journalist and travel writer from the UK. I have travelled to Thailand many times since the 1980s, and love the country and the culture. But I have just had a disturbing experience in my latest visit with my wife and son, as part […]

I have no sympathy. People who wants to take a "holiday" at this time during the pandemic have to acknowledge the consequences, scam or no scam.

He gambled and lost, so pay the price.

Don't travel if you cannot afford to pay quarantine/good insurance and put others at risks by flying back. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, astro said:

I haven't tested positive once since I recovered from Covid.

That's about you  And I don't own a pair of red shoes. Doesn't mean no one else does.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, Mandy said:

Am I missing something? Many of you keep saying that the boy tested positive, then they took him on an international flight, I've just re-read the article and it clearly states that they were all negative before they boarded the flight to Bangkok, so I'm not sure why people are calling them selfish, I think the only mistake they made was choosing Thailand in the first place.

Exactly. He did exactly the right thing and more. Some people lack the patience to read the article.

Moreover, some poor guy on reddit just noticed that his ticket from Japan to Europe transits in Bangkok. Besides staying airside and not entering Thailand, with all bags checked though the final destination, he's being told by Thai aiways you need a PCR test (not needed for his final destination) and $20,000 covid insurance with an acceptable company.

Never mind don't choose Thailand, apparently don't choose to transit through it either.

7 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Exactly. He did exactly the right thing and more. Some people lack the patience to read the article.

Moreover, some poor guy on reddit just noticed that his ticket from Japan to Europe transits in Bangkok. Besides staying airside and not entering Thailand, with all bags checked though the final destination, he's being told by Thai aiways you need a PCR test (not needed for his final destination) and $20,000 covid insurance with an acceptable company.

Never mind don't choose Thailand, apparently don't choose to transit through it either.

What are you talking about 

His son tested positive on arrival

Without testing his son again, so all he had at that time was a positive result, and he jumped on a plane, not caring if his son was positive and could infecf others 

We all are reading it correctly 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Travellers must present a negative PCR test (no older than 72 hours) or proof of vaccination and proof of medical insurance with COVID-19 coverage (minimum $US 20,000). Transit time must not exceed 24 hours.

If traveling ex Japan one might assume he has proof of vaccination.  Perhaps staff advised him of the old pre May 1st rule?