News Forum - Covid test confusion ruins UK family holiday to Thailand

Thaiger

32 minutes ago, Thombkk said:

why did you have a test you were not required to have? There are many false positives

with that test.   

They were required to take the test they took that the son tested positive

But like many, myself included, they took tests before flying for some comfort of knowing

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

An email with another sad outcome from possible risks, albeit small, that individuals and families face returning to Thailand at this time. The Thaiger receives at least a few of these sad stories every week. Names of individuals and locations been changed or withheld on the request of the author. My name is Pete Passport. I am a journalist and travel writer from the UK. I have travelled to Thailand many times since the 1980s, and love the country and the culture. But I have just had a disturbing experience in my latest visit with my wife and son, as part […]

The story Covid test confusion ruins UK family holiday to Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

But other than that, how was your trip?

• Haha 2

I had a similar issue for our 3weeks holiday in Thailand. My partner and myself flew in from Sydney (8th April) and one of us tested positive upon arrival. 
The Samitivej  hospital recommends 10-day quarantine at Mazudi for about THB100,000. That was exorbitantly expensive. There was lots of confusion because of language barrier, and our hotel staff tried to be the middleman to resolve the issue. In the end, they’ve found Twin Towers quarantine facility (THB35.000) and we agreed. It took then 6hrs to arrange the transport -more confusion on when they are coming.

at Twin Towers, the quarantine facility looked like a run-down 1980s hotel. But, we didn’t complained. This is where the locals with Covid were quarantine msg. Very basic, and there’s no coffee/tea making facilities. On the next day, my partner went to do the x-Ray and consulted with the doctor. He showed no symptoms and everything looks normal. We asked for 2nd PCR test since we didn’t believe the first positive result. The doctor agreed. Soon after, the finance came to us with THB 35,000 bill. Shocked and flabbergasted, we rang our Thai local friend for help to communicate to the local staff - none of them can speak English. We refused to pay, because we  are sure we won’t get our money back (even though they will reverse/refund the transaction aid we are to be released earlier than 10-day quarantine. The finance lady stormed off in the midst of discussion. Really rude. 

That night came for 2nd PCR test, and results was negative. The doctor agreed to released us after 2nights stay. Another headache came with tge billing. The first bill came at THB 22,000 for 2 nights stay. We were absolutely shocked, but the finance said it’s all doctor consultation/medical bills. We’ve called up our local Thai friend and managed to reduced to THB12.000.  What just happened - we felt the whole thing is a scam. Our AXA Sawadee insurance said they cannot do much since they are Themis BNH hospital is not linked with AXA. I have to pay upfront and claim later. However, we knew our case is a GREEN case category (asymptomatic) and the medical procedure is deemed unnecessary (no claims). We started to look at THB12,000 bill breakdown - 3 nights charge, though we stayed only 2,etc. our local Thai friend just advise us to quickly pay up and leave before imtgey decides to add more complications. We wised up and agreed not to question every single detail in a foreign country. We are here to enjoy our holiday and not be fret up by mere thousands baht. We paid up and. Never looked back.

in summary, we felt very lucky to be released early. However, why so scamish. There’s no transparency and we are so apprehensive to return to Thailand again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kim182 said:

I had a similar issue for our 3weeks holiday in Thailand. My partner and myself flew in from Sydney (8th April) and one of us tested positive upon arrival. 
The Samitivej  hospital recommends 10-day quarantine at Mazudi for about THB100,000. That was exorbitantly expensive. There was lots of confusion because of language barrier, and our hotel staff tried to be the middleman to resolve the issue. In the end, they’ve found Twin Towers quarantine facility (THB35.000) and we agreed. It took then 6hrs to arrange the transport -more confusion on when they are coming.

at Twin Towers, the quarantine facility looked like a run-down 1980s hotel. But, we didn’t complained. This is where the locals with Covid were quarantine msg. Very basic, and there’s no coffee/tea making facilities. On the next day, my partner went to do the x-Ray and consulted with the doctor. He showed no symptoms and everything looks normal. We asked for 2nd PCR test since we didn’t believe the first positive result. The doctor agreed. Soon after, the finance came to us with THB 35,000 bill. Shocked and flabbergasted, we rang our Thai local friend for help to communicate to the local staff - none of them can speak English. We refused to pay, because we  are sure we won’t get our money back (even though they will reverse/refund the transaction aid we are to be released earlier than 10-day quarantine. The finance lady stormed off in the midst of discussion. Really rude. 

That night came for 2nd PCR test, and results was negative. The doctor agreed to released us after 2nights stay. Another headache came with tge billing. The first bill came at THB 22,000 for 2 nights stay. We were absolutely shocked, but the finance said it’s all doctor consultation/medical bills. We’ve called up our local Thai friend and managed to reduced to THB12.000.  What just happened - we felt the whole thing is a scam. Our AXA Sawadee insurance said they cannot do much since they are Themis BNH hospital is not linked with AXA. I have to pay upfront and claim later. However, we knew our case is a GREEN case category (asymptomatic) and the medical procedure is deemed unnecessary (no claims). We started to look at THB12,000 bill breakdown - 3 nights charge, though we stayed only 2,etc. our local Thai friend just advise us to quickly pay up and leave before imtgey decides to add more complications. We wised up and agreed not to question every single detail in a foreign country. We are here to enjoy our holiday and not be fret up by mere thousands baht. We paid up and. Never looked back.

in summary, we felt very lucky to be released early. However, why so scamish. There’s no transparency and we are so apprehensive to return to Thailand again.

If 100,000 baht is expensive then your best choice would be to NOT travel anywhere during a pandemic... 

19 minutes ago, Kim182 said:

We asked for 2nd PCR test since we didn’t believe the first positive result. The doctor agreed. Soon after, the finance came to us with THB 35,000 bill. Shocked and flabbergasted, we rang our Thai local friend for help to communicate to the local staff - none of them can speak English.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Kudos for insisting on that second test but what a shocker with the fee. 

Stories like this are a disincentive to travel for a lot of people reading them. 

I do find myself wondering how many false positives there are. Even a small percentage of affected arrivals is still going to be a big number.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JamesR said:

Which is exactly why I have been putting off going there for the last eight months. 

I could quarantine in my house there but no I would have jump through all sorts of hoops if testing positive. 

Why play Russian roulette when I am perfectly free to go anywhere in the UK? 

Yes, you are right. You are perfectly safe when you swim in your own pond. However if you are swimming in some other's pond, then you have be careful about the anglers who are there eagerly looking forward to fish you for a nice roasted dish.

• Haha 1

People buy Crap Insurance then wonder why only pay little or nothing.

It BLOWS my mind people even buy Insurance from THAI companies. 

LOL !  

Edited by PfizerModernaJohnson

This is a disgraceful example.

I was speaking with a couple of colleagues from work in other international offices this week about an upcoming trade show in Bangkok. They took one look at the entry requirements and risks and laughed.

I am actively looking into a temporary transfer to another location, maybe it becomes permanent. I don't see the approach of Thailand's government ending soon, just several months of tweaks and confused with a healthy blend of election rhetoric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skip said:

If 100,000 baht is expensive then your best choice would be to NOT travel anywhere during a pandemic... 

if you buy insurance called „AXA Sawadee“ you shouldn’t travel at all  , unfit brain for travelling 

„solly, mister , we only pay government hospital, you stay private hospital!“

“solly , mister, this hospital you stay , we no have contracts with them“

etc etc 555 ! 

Edited by PfizerModernaJohnson

„I have to pay upfront and claim later“ 

they tried this  many many times with me , i never paid.  Always said i have no money, no cards nothing.  contact Allianz Travel Insurance and leave me alone please.

2 hours ago, Kim182 said:

Stressful for sure buy you did exactly what you should do

Hold your ground and be adamant 

My only question is when this happens did you call AXA and ask where you can be sent where they pay upfront?

That would be my plan, don't know if it would work 

2 hours ago, Skip said:

Are you crazy?

100k is incredibly expensive 

31 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

This is a disgraceful example.

I was speaking with a couple of colleagues from work in other international offices this week about an upcoming trade show in Bangkok. They took one look at the entry requirements and risks and laughed.

I am actively looking into a temporary transfer to another location, maybe it becomes permanent. I don't see the approach of Thailand's government ending soon, just several months of tweaks and confused with a healthy blend of election rhetoric.

If I was going on business I wouldn't care one bit 

You get quarantined , it's on the company 

5 minutes ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

„I have to pay upfront and claim later“ 

they tried this  many many times with me , i never paid.  Always said i have no money, no cards nothing.  contact Allianz Travel Insurance and leave me alone please.

Exactly what you should do

Just hold your ground 

• Like 1

Scam. They pick what they think is a vulnerable family and hope to milk them for the benefit of the system. (Source - my common sense)

Stay away folks until all scam tactics have been dropped.

17 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Exactly what you should do

Just hold your ground 

Of course just hold your ground. I don’t have insurance to „pay upfront“ and will never fall for their scams. 
try pick into a pocket of a naked man, good luck :)

Now half the people travelling airplane iwith Tim are sick with COVID-19  because he did wear the wrong mask which protects you but not the other people (Valve-Out)

source: HCW in a big university hospital in germany , those masks pictured in  article („Tims Mask“) are not  allowed here   

3 hours ago, Kim182 said:

This is insane, looks like they are targeting couple and family, the most important thing for future reference is keep bugging your covid insurance agent about not paying upfront to the hospital, need to do more  research on that hospital but at least you made to negotiate along with your Thai friend.

12 hours ago, Cg66 said:

It looks like divine retribution for being stupid enough to have your son administered a fake experimental pseudo vaccine. If he took it within six weeks of the flight he was probably shedding viruses as seems to be happening everywhere with this latest variant omicron

Anti vaxxer I presume 

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

They were required to take the test they took that the son tested positive

But like many, myself included, they took tests before flying for some comfort of knowing

So you don't take into consideration the fact he tested negative before leaving and also negative on his return but was somehow positive in Thailand a bit strange or you just want to bash this bloke because he didn't do what you expected.

12 hours ago, JamesR said:

Freezing, I do not live in Iceland, it is very pleasant here in the South East of England, 19C and sunny.

Boring? There is so much to do as long as you have more money in your pocket other than the state pension. 

It is not expensive if you have money.

Boring? I can't imagine anything more boring than living in a shack in Isaan with nothing much to do other than create mini wars between each other as many seem to do on this site on  daily basis just for something to do, it is so funny.

Bossy women? I have seen so many farang men being bossed about in Thailand by uneducated Thai women women mostly from Isaan as they own the house, the car and the pension of the silly old buggers who were daft enough to marry them and are now stuck in a mini-hell, bit it does make me laugh.

Parochial? It must be so international and outgoing in those small boring Isaan villages, but international Phuket is great for six months a year under normal circumstances.

So dont live in Isaan. I've never been north of Central Bangkok.

Is it 19C all year in balmy SE England?

Nowhere is expensive if you have money.

You clearly have issues with Isaan and its denizens. I'm sure it suits some people, me excluded. 😃

Am I missing something? Many of you keep saying that the boy tested positive, then they took him on an international flight, I've just re-read the article and it clearly states that they were all negative before they boarded the flight to Bangkok, so I'm not sure why people are calling them selfish, I think the only mistake they made was choosing Thailand in the first place.

• Like 2

The FFP3 mask which is shown has an exhalation valve so it will only protect the wearer from inhaling fine dust. The Covid virus travels on dust and this mask will therefore protect the wearer (Tim) from inhaling Covid virus or other nasties. On the other hand it does NOT protect anyone around him as the exhalation valve allows the breathe to be exhaled unfiltered into the surrounding atmosphere. It is difficult to wear a FFP3 mask for a long period, so the poor boy was put through a difficult journey for nothing. The level of misinformation and lack of knowledge regarding mask never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 1

May have had Covid in the past being young not realised it in these circumstances can get positive  test result some times     problem in Thailand they refuse to allow a second PCR test. So the morale of this sad story is do not come to Thailand until all entry restrictions lifted.

• Like 1