News Forum - Covid test confusion ruins UK family holiday to Thailand

Thaiger

13 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

The poster behind this article did indeed take a risk, but it was a) mindful, b) minimalized and c) the skepticism that sourced taking the risk was immediately proved warranted upon arriving (negative PCR-result). When comparing people who mindlessly follow doctrine and people who can think and competently determine risks, the (e)valuation should be clear. It doesn't always happen this way, but if all individuals - without exception - are to be treated as sheep that don't know better, they're better of at a slaughter house.

His son tested positive and he did not test negative until landing home

That doesn't matter..........at the point he flew, his son had a positive test and this <deleted> chose to put people in danger

Probably because he couldn't afford 40k baht, like most lowlifes that go to Thailand

Edited by KaptainRob
Derogatory slang removed
  • Like 3
  • Angry 1

13 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

M26's post is somewhat ambiguous in that regard.  However, the statement was made that Tim wore a mask and was isolated from others.  I'd have done the same knowing we'd all tested -ve some 24hrs earlier and faced with draconian options.

No, my post isn't

His son tested positive, at that point he is considered positive

And he put him on a plane, with no regard to others

He's a <deleted>...........plain and simple

Edited by KaptainRob
Derogatory slang removed
  • Like 3
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Could a second test in LOS not have been requested  ?

That would be the logical approach. The possibility of a false positive should be taken into account. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Which is exactly why I have been putting off going there for the last eight months. 

I could quarantine in my house there but no I would have jump through all sorts of hoops if testing positive. 

Why play Russian roulette when I am perfectly free to go anywhere in the UK? 

'Cos its freezing, boring and parochial? And expensive and full of bossy women?😃

Well, you pay your money, roll the dice and hope lady luck is with you.

For me personally,  until all restrictions are gone, no Thailand Pass  etc, then I would not roll the dice.

Sorry the guy and his family had a bad experience, but as a travel writer, you would have thought he'd be a bit more savy.😉

• Like 5

ITs because the fix is in...let this be a warning that people shoiuld not go to Thailand until all this BS is scrapped...you are being set up to test positive  and then entrapped

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Zig said:

ITs because the fix is in...let this be a warning that people shoiuld not go to Thailand until all this BS is scrapped...you are being set up to test positive  and then entrapped

And  the chances of getting found positive are....?

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

You have to love this forum

Some absolute asshole selfishly hops on a plane after his son has tested positive 

And all the miserable sods on here skip over that huge fact to whine about Thailand 

This guy is an absolute scumbag

Why is he a scumbag? You completely misunderstand what vaccination can and cannot do. It protects the individual (to an extent) but it doesn't stop those who are vaccinated from getting covid or transmitting it to those in close proximity to them. Vaccination is a personal choice to give you some immunity from the worst effects but that is ALL. Your vaccinated status does not protect those around you and it never will. Think about it. Why take a PCR test if you’re already vaccinated? If vaccination protected those around you there would be no need for the PCR test…would there? 🙄

15 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Why is he a scumbag? You completely misunderstand what vaccination can and cannot do. It protects the individual (to an extent) but it doesn't stop those who are vaccinated from getting covid or transmitting it to those in close proximity to them. Vaccination is a personal choice to give you some immunity from the worst effects but that is ALL. Your vaccinated status does not protect those around you and it never will. Think about it. Why take a PCR test if you’re already vaccinated? If vaccination protected those around you there would be no need for the PCR test…would there? 🙄

Where did I say anything about vaccinations?

If you knowingly go on a plane with a positive test, you are a scumbag

You don't know who you can give it to and what their repurcussions could be for them

You shouldn't go on a plane with the flu........

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

17 minutes ago, Poolie said:

You're................

Just saying.............😀

Why is it guys like that can never spell????   :)

• Haha 1

Quite disgraceful, but sadly to be expected... that’s why I won’t come until all the ridiculous requirements are abandoned. The Thai apologists are indeed a sad and pathetic group, for them Thailand can do no wrong.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Why is it guys like that can never spell????   :)

# repercussions # ………. just saying :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

# repercussions # ………. just saying :)

Haha, came back to bite me in the ass!  555

I typed it twice and it was wrong, then I got busy at work, so just sent it 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

No, my post isn't

His son tested positive, at that point he is considered positive

And he put him on a plane, with no regard to others

He's a scumbag...........plain and simple

Exactly, that reporter freakin stupid & should know better than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael0510 said:

The Uk did so many tings wrong about the pandemic. In the UK 6 times more people died of Corona than in Thailand. But people from UK are still talking about TiT, scam etc.

Sorry Micheal but I have to challenge that statement. The U.K. may well have 6 times as many “Reported” cases of death with Covid, but not in reality. I would anticipate the U.K. has had 2-3 times more deaths than Thailand if you were able to compare like for like. If you then take in to consideration the following differences between the two countries and cultures, then it’s unsurprising:

Hotter and sunnier weather. 
Outdoor living  

A more compliant population.

Apart from Bangkok a far less densely populated country. 

Far less daily commuting on busses and trains.  

Far less inter-regional travel. 

Far less air travel in and from outside the country. 

A more open society in terms of freedom to operate a business without Covid restrictions.

Even possibly the fact generally Thais don’t shake hands.

Its simply impossible to compare data across two countries in Europe, let alone across two continents. 

Did the U.K. get it all right? Of course not. Few if any did, especially if you are trying to balance peoples health and the health of the economy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It looks like divine retribution for being stupid enough to have your son administered a fake experimental pseudo vaccine. If he took it within six weeks of the flight he was probably shedding viruses as seems to be happening everywhere with this latest variant omicron

• Like 1

one of the risks of travelling during a pandemic, should have gotten good travel insurance

as you can see from the story, the person didn't care that his son tested positive for covid-19 and went on an international flight anyways, so that clearly shows you need travel insurance because people with covid-19 are going on planes

A few interesting things that makes me think this story isn't completely true, one being, he was okay with paying for PCR tests for him, his wife, his son, before going on the trip even though it wasn't required and then another PCR test after for his son in the UK but wasn't willing to pay for a quarantine hotel. Curious why he wanted to do PCR tests when they weren't needed, then when one was needed and his son tested positive he was upset, then didn't want to quarantine, wasted the whole trip + costs only to return home and do another PCR test. 

His main argument was that his son had no symptoms thus he shouldn't have to go to the hospital, I wonder why he wasn't asking for another test to be done. 

Not sure what the full story is but I wouldn't trust this one, I've had quite a few PCR tests done for covid, never had any false positives or issues, nor anyone I know of. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

'Cos its freezing, boring and parochial? And expensive and full of bossy women?😃

Freezing, I do not live in Iceland, it is very pleasant here in the South East of England, 19C and sunny.

Boring? There is so much to do as long as you have more money in your pocket other than the state pension. 

It is not expensive if you have money.

Boring? I can't imagine anything more boring than living in a shack in Isaan with nothing much to do other than create mini wars between each other as many seem to do on this site on  daily basis just for something to do, it is so funny.

Bossy women? I have seen so many farang men being bossed about in Thailand by uneducated Thai women women mostly from Isaan as they own the house, the car and the pension of the silly old buggers who were daft enough to marry them and are now stuck in a mini-hell, bit it does make me laugh.

Parochial? It must be so international and outgoing in those small boring Isaan villages, but international Phuket is great for six months a year under normal circumstances.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dj230 said:

one of the risks of travelling during a pandemic, should have gotten good travel insurance

as you can see from the story, the person didn't care that his son tested positive for covid-19 and went on an international flight anyways, so that clearly shows you need travel insurance because people with covid-19 are going on planes

A few interesting things that makes me think this story isn't completely true, one being, he was okay with paying for PCR tests for him, his wife, his son, before going on the trip even though it wasn't required and then another PCR test after for his son in the UK but wasn't willing to pay for a quarantine hotel. Curious why he wanted to do PCR tests when they weren't needed, then when one was needed and his son tested positive he was upset, then didn't want to quarantine, wasted the whole trip + costs only to return home and do another PCR test. 

His main argument was that his son had no symptoms thus he shouldn't have to go to the hospital, I wonder why he wasn't asking for another test to be done. 

Not sure what the full story is but I wouldn't trust this one, I've had quite a few PCR tests done for covid, never had any false positives or issues, nor anyone I know of. 

All good points

One thing is it was a 'hospitel" which is basically a hotel with nurses

My MIL and BIL just spent 6 days in one

It's obvious this guy is a selfish <deleted> (and p0or/cheap) but what does he expect if he/they test positive? To go about his way? You need to isolate 

One other thing.........I asked my T&G hotel if I test positive if I am allowed to isolate in their hotel

They said no............and I found "hospitels" that I can isolate in.

So once again, an adult did no research and then cries when things go pear shaped

Edited by KaptainRob
Derogatory slang removed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CharlesW said:

Quite disgraceful, but sadly to be expected... that’s why I won’t come until all the ridiculous requirements are abandoned. The Thai apologists are indeed a sad and pathetic group, for them Thailand can do no wrong.

I think Thailand is doing plenty wrong

They should open up in line with their neighbors 

But that doesn't excuse this <deleted> of getting on a flight without confirming his son is negative

Edited by KaptainRob
Derogatory slang removed

3 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

The covid-19  insurance is the biggest scam and should be dropped. As detailed in another thread last week i tested positive on arrival 3 weeks and was symptomatic by the time i got the result.

I was admitted to hospital only after giving them a  credit card deposit of 150,000 baht.

My bill after was 66,000 out of which the insurance company paid only 12,000 baht

More should be done especially by the likes of this Thaiger news site to highlight this if not a total scam at the very least an entry tax.  

I have questions for you: How much is your COVID-19 insurance? Didn't you even try to contact your covid insurance agent after you test positive to verify paying upfront? It looked to me that you just gave up without even trying and fighting for it. I know someone from Pattaya about a month ago that he tested positive for covid and the hospital wanted him to pay upfront of THB200K in cash, and then he called his insurance agent right away, later, problem solved, didn't have to pay anything to the hospital. Big relief for him. Last question: How could be so sure that you will get your claim back?

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I think Thailand is doing plenty wrong

They should open up in line with their neighbors 

But that doesn't excuse this scumbag of getting on a flight without confirming his son is negative

Philippines only requires an ATK test within 24 hours of departure as of April 1st.

I agree.   Lots of advice online on what to do it you test positive for covid while travelling. 

"If you do end up testing positive  — the responsible course of action would be to isolate yourself from others because you are contagious, said Dr. Emily E. Volk, the president of the College of American Pathologists, an organization of physicians who perform biopsies and diagnose disease.

“It’s the morally and ethically correct thing to do,” she said."

I wonder what the legal repercussions are for boarding an international flight with a positive test result.  Why was this even an option?

Edited by KaptainRob
Quote deleted
  • Like 2