News Forum - Russia attacks Ukraine from three fronts, explosions in major cities

Thaiger

11 hours ago, EdwardV said:

You’re kidding right? China and the UAE are both authoritarian counties. Birds of a feather. The fact they didn’t vote against the resolution is more of a sign than the fact they abstained. As for India, they have a long history of not taking sides in anything that doesn’t directly effect them. They also use Russia as a counterweight to China (who they hate for obvious reasons). Again meaningless. The fact everyone else voted in favor, some of who were Russia friendly countries says more. 

Couldn’t care less how the corrupt *word removed* and irrelevant countries voted at an ever useless rotten UN.

Only Ukraine NATO Putin EU matter here. NATO / EU should remove USD Trading & SWIFT from Russia & Cancel all Russia Sports / Culture/ Business involvement. Russian pariah status & economic collapse in months.

Also looks like Ukraine should be partitioned to ensure permanent peace.

Edited by Faraday
Swear word removed
  • Haha 1

It would  seem to me that slowly slowly there are those that have regained some degree of comprehension as to the realities of what has  culminated  in this  unfortunate demonstration .

As unfortunate is the failure to understand there is little in the grand plan that has not been decided long before.

Devolution precedes a reactive  advancement in evolution of survival . If there is no threat why change? 

• Like 1

Putin now brandishing the nuke option.

This clown would see the world devastated because he has failed in his war in the Ukraine. 

He is toast. Gone. Ended. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Any evidence for that statement?

https://m.tribuneindia.com/news/comment/chinas-bleak-economy-a-problem-for-xi-372788

There are easily dozens of similar articles you can find from any news organizations. Bloomberg to South China Morning News for example. I just grabbed the first I could find (right now everything pops up Ukraine and I didn’t care to dig sorry). Besides the fact I said “fragile” which doesn’t mean I’m saying it’s bad. Just pointing out things in China are not great. The fact China themselves have downgraded their GDP projections, a number they make up each year and then lie in order to reach should say enough. 

back to the topic at hand. The remove from SWIFT is important but it wouldn’t stop Russia from trading. All it does is make it harder and a little more expensive. The bigger news is the sanctions on Russia central bank. This could turn out to be huge. Russia has about $640B in foreign reserves. About 40% of that is gold inside Russia and currency in Chinese banks. However some 60% of that is mostly in Western banks (vast majority in Europe). That’s now all frozen and Russia can’t access it. Foreign reserves are used to buy foreign inputs for domestic manufacturing, imported foods and products, help make up budget shortages, and to buy your own currency when needed for price support. In other words the EU and US just pulled the safety rug out from under Russia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Any evidence for that statement?

Article titled 'China distances itself from Russia' is in an English language Newspaper published in Bangkok, Feb 26. I would link it but just spent a couple minutes reading Thaiger "guidelines" and cannot tell if I can link this newspaper or not. Do not want to upset the mods, yet again. 

31 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

https://m.tribuneindia.com/news/comment/chinas-bleak-economy-a-problem-for-xi-372788

There are easily dozens of similar articles you can find from any news organizations. Bloomberg to South China Morning News for example. I just grabbed the first I could find (right now everything pops up Ukraine and I didn’t care to dig sorry). Besides the fact I said “fragile” which doesn’t mean I’m saying it’s bad. Just pointing out things in China are not great. The fact China themselves have downgraded their GDP projections, a number they make up each year and then lie in order to reach should say enough. 

Case closed then Sherlock.

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I think we already know who they sided with. However China has already started to cut off Russia. Don’t be surprised if they are more afraid of damaging their current fragile economy by bucking sanctions than wanting to show solidarity with Russia. Money talks, BS walks. 

Law of unintended consequences. Germany just pledged to spend 100B Euros for their 2022 defense budget. That’s well over 2% of GDP and an increase from their 2021 budget of just 47B. Three different US presidents couldn’t get them to meet the 2% pledge, but leave it to Putin to get them to blow past it. Germany is going to rearm. 

It won't be just money being funneled to Asia, it will be gas as well. Russia will be incrementally reducing it's gas sales to Europe as part of a wider pivot to India and China.

38 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

It won't be just money being funneled to Asia, it will be gas as well. Russia will be incrementally reducing it's gas sales to Europe as part of a wider pivot to India and China.

You make that sound easy when it’s anything but. The pipelines to China already run full and there aren’t any to India. It takes several years to build new ones. India gets their natural gas in liquified form at that. Clearly Russia can easily ratchet down the EU, but replacing the volume won’t be as easy even in a market looking for gas. Oil will be easier, but not gas. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Don't be surprised when these same countries funnel the Ruble through their countries when the SWIFT sanctions take place. Then you'll understand who they are siding with. 

I do not support Russian aggression.  Like any aggression of money bags.  But for those on this resource who believe that the modern Ukrainian leadership is democratic and liberal, I recommend watching this film: https://youtu.be/FG1fuhKwXVA

42 minutes ago, KRLMRX said:

I do not support Russian aggression.  Like any aggression of money bags.  But for those on this resource who believe that the modern Ukrainian leadership is democratic and liberal, I recommend watching this film: https://youtu.be/FG1fuhKwXVA

Er...looks like your recommended Mr. Phillips has a long history of vlogging b/s and propaganda.

I'd look for something more convincing as a link if I were you.

8 hours ago, KRLMRX said:

NATO, as a post WWII anachronism, now only does two things. To retain relevance, and do the bidding of it's globalist subversive's,  it must constantly expand, but then proceed to destroy everything in it's path. In the 21st century it is guilty of some of the worst crimes against humanity. The invasion and occupation of Afghanistan, and the reduction of Libya from the most developed country in Africa to a destroyed and dysfunctional country/now failed state, just to name a few examples. This is what NATO does and what has been working towards in the instigation of the coup de tat, regime change operation that set this entire conflict into motion in 2014. Consequently, Russia increasingly seeing NATO on its doorstep, and the West failing to implement the Minsk II agreements in the Ukraine conflict, has been pushed to act... act to a now clear and present danger/existential threat. What we are now seeing unfold is Russia dealing with this problem that has arrived on their doorstep. What we are seeing unfold now, in addition to bringing an end to the conflict in the Eastern Donbass, they are now taking the opportunity to deal with the collaborators there in Kiev who brought it to their doorstep. Bringing not just the threat of NATO, but the thousands of dead ethnic Russians, this U.S. backed, NATO backed, regime in Kiev has killed over the last eight years in their war on the Donbass region in Eastern Ukraine. If Russia doesn't react now, then when? We can now know what NATO's goal is... it is not to encircle and contain Russia, as outlined in its original mandate, but instead to eventually absorb Russia. If you're going to be honest about the situation, and put yourself in Russia's shoes, this is a clear and present danger that could no longer be allowed to happen. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Spelling Correction

1 hour ago, Freeduhdumb said:

NATO, as a post WWII anachronism,

An anachronism that was all but dead before Russia attack Ukraine. Ironic when you really think about it.The US had all but left NATO, with troop levels having gone down for decades now. In fact it was so bad, Obama had removed all the tanks from Europe (in another twist of irony it was Trump that moved a brigade worth back while in office). Most of the NATO counties not named America had cut defense spending so much, some of them have barely functional militaries. France was practically demanding an EU army. While not mutually exclusive with NATO, there was no way the countries would have been willing to pay for both. NATO was a dead man walking, the body just wasn’t cold yet. All that’s changed now, Russia has not only breathed new life into NATO, but energized it. Heck even Germany is rearming now and big time. Finland and Sweden are one step away from joining. Even the EU is getting into the act by creating finding to purchase weapons for Ukraine. Again, ironic when you think about it. 

• Like 1

Well it proves one thing that the US supply chain is better than Putins. The Red Army have run out of gas and The President hasn't issued its drivers with any Shell cards. 

It has also proven what a rag tag army the Russians have, how long will Putins generals put up with all this embarrassment?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

An anachronism that was all but dead before Russia attack Ukraine. Ironic when you really think about it.The US had all but left NATO, with troop levels having gone down for decades now. In fact it was so bad, Obama had removed all the tanks from Europe (in another twist of irony it was Trump that moved a brigade worth back while in office). Most of the NATO counties not named America had cut defense spending so much, some of them have barely functional militaries. France was practically demanding an EU army. While not mutually exclusive with NATO, there was no way the countries would have been willing to pay for both. NATO was a dead man walking, the body just wasn’t cold yet. All that’s changed now, Russia has not only breathed new life into NATO, but energized it. Heck even Germany is rearming now and big time. Finland and Sweden are one step away from joining. Even the EU is getting into the act by creating finding to purchase weapons for Ukraine. Again, ironic when you think about it. 

If you have followed the progression of this conflict from 2014 as I have, it is abundantly clear, the "Western Powers" were never interested in sincere negotiations. Just one, prime example, is the failure by the West to fully implement the Minsk II agreements. There are ulterior motives afoot that are plain to see, if you're being honest with yourself and look. The recent diplomatic snub by NATO allies points to the insincerity and complete lack of respect for the culminated "Red Lines" Russia has thoughtfully laid out. Russia has in fact been increasingly pushed to act to protect their interests in the region. Why is that? The Western Media wants to play word salad with the Russian Aggression narrative, yet it has in fact all along been the failure of NATO, in its agreements post WWII, not to advance Eastward out of Europe that has brought us to this moment. 

Lavrov told NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg that he supports the resumption of military cooperation with the alliance. Without it, the diplomats’ meetings do not make any sense, he said. “We need to resume [our] military cooperation. [And yet] NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, surrounded by his deputies yesterday, couldn’t say that NATO is ready for this. It's sad,” -- Munich Security Conference Speech

15 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Well it proves one thing that the US supply chain is better than Putins. The Red Army have run out of gas and The President hasn't issued its drivers with any Shell cards. 

It has also proven what a rag tag army the Russians have, how long will Putins generals put up with all this embarrassment?

Ask yourself... using a sports analogy, why would the coach put in his Second String team?

1 minute ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Ask yourself... using a sports analogy, why would the coach put in his Second String team?

If you are going to play your second team I think the most sensible to do is at least equip them to fight. No good sending in your second team with boots but no laces. Do the Russians not know that tanks need fuel to propel them.

Hardly the Blitzkrieg Putin was envisaging, he could still play his nuclear joker of course. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

If you are going to play your second team I think the most sensible to do is at least equip them to fight. No good sending in your second team with boots but no laces. Do the Russians not know that tanks need fuel to propel them.

Hardly the Blitzkrieg Putin was envisaging, he could still play his nuclear joker of course. 

What compels you to presume you know the strategy of Putin and his military planners? You're simply ill equipped, as I am, to be able to credibly opine on this. I'm not a military man, so I don't have strategic military experience to opine either, however, I will give you this. If we don't see a significant outcome one way or another in a week or so?, then even as a lay person your assertion that this was to supposed to be a "Blitzkrieg" will have more merit. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

What compels you to presume you know the strategy of Putin and his military planners? You're simply ill equipped, as I am, to be able to credibly opine on this. I'm not a military man, so I don't have strategic military experience to opine either, however, I will give you this. If we don't see a significant outcome one way or another in a week or so?, then even as a lay person your assertion that this was to supposed to be a "Blitzkrieg" will have more merit. 

If Putin stops fighting there will be peace, if Ukraine stops fighting they will lose their country, go figure.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Fester said:

Er...looks like your recommended Mr. Phillips has a long history of vlogging b/s and propaganda.

I'd look for something more convincing as a link if I were you.

yes, it takes one side.  But this does not change the FACTS stated in this video.

This is the emblem of one of the divisions of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine - the Azov regiment.  

This is the "Wolf Hook", the sign was used by the Nazi units of the Waffen SS, for example, the Reich division.

IMG_20220228_142500.thumb.jpg.cc852f3d4507fc29a2b36c28fd9cc3b2.jpg

• Like 1

Putin has agreed to allow Belarus troops to Enter Ukraine to help Russian troops. Well our Defence Minister has just been interviewed pn Sky news where he said all Putin will do is sacrifice the belarussian troops and use them as cannon fodder to save the russian troops as there poorly trained and capable of sustaining street to street combat if it comes to that. Rumours are also saying the hold up of of Russian forces are delayed by lack of fuel for there tanks and mobile artillary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

If you have followed the progression of this conflict from 2014 as I have, it is abundantly clear, the "Western Powers" were never interested in sincere negotiations. Just one, prime example, is the failure by the West to fully implement the Minsk II agreements. There are ulterior motives afoot that are plain to see, if you're being honest with yourself and look. The recent diplomatic snub by NATO allies points to the insincerity and complete lack of respect for the culminated "Red Lines" Russia has thoughtfully laid out. Russia has in fact been increasingly pushed to act to protect their interests in the region. Why is that? The Western Media wants to play word salad with the Russian Aggression narrative, yet it has in fact all along been the failure of NATO, in its agreements post WWII, not to advance Eastward out of Europe that has brought us to this moment. 

Lavrov told NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg that he supports the resumption of military cooperation with the alliance. Without it, the diplomats’ meetings do not make any sense, he said. “We need to resume [our] military cooperation. [And yet] NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, surrounded by his deputies yesterday, couldn’t say that NATO is ready for this. It's sad,” -- Munich Security Conference Speech

Please link to any agreement by NATO not to "advance eastward". 

In what way did the West fail to implement the Minsk II agreements?

2 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

fact all along been the failure of NATO, in its agreements post WWII, not to advance Eastward out of Europe that has brought us to this moment.

You keep saying the same thing as if it’s true. There was no agreement against Eastward advancement in the document. Period. Same with the idea Russia was basically forced to attack Ukraine to keep them from joining NATO. It’s just as patently false. As long as Russia was in Crimea Ukraine would never qualify to join NATO. Since we all know Russia is never leaving Crimea, the excuse of “need to keep from NATO” is also false. 

• Like 1

I'm not interested im any agreements years ago in Minsk im interested in what is happening in 22 now. The west has agreed and has supplied weapons to Ukrainiun troops even Germany with there past History has agreed to send military hardware and some western country's are sending aircraft for the Ukrainiun airforce so any statements saying the west is doing nothing is BS.

• Like 2

Admit my Western (Yank) thinking is skewed to conventional thought coming out of the Cold War era.  Moreover, my personal, modest involvement playing games with the Soviet Bear, and life trajectory since then, was/has been in the Pacific/Asia theater.   Eastern Europe, while I knew that was main battle ground, was always a long way away to me.

So I found the below linked lecture from 2015 quite useful as a quick refresher from WW2, Cold War/break up of USSR, and then it drills down into relevant events in the 2000s as the prelude to current events.   I'd completely ghosted the events of 2008, Georgia.

Not suggesting agreement with or justification for Putin/Russian's actions, rather, and again, found it a useful reminder that Putin still sees things through the Cold War/Big Powers lens, perhaps not necessarily a desire to re-establish the old Soviet order.

Why is Ukraine the West's Fault? Featuring John Mearsheimer

Edited by TWS60

20 minutes ago, vlad said:

I'm not interested im any agreements years ago in Minsk im interested in what is happening in 22 now. The west has agreed and has supplied weapons to Ukrainiun troops even Germany with there past History has agreed to send military hardware and some western country's are sending aircraft for the Ukrainiun airforce so any statements saying the west is doing nothing is BS.

Yes glad that Germany has started delivering 5,000 helmets to Ukraine's army. That would be very helpful to turn the tide against the Russians:

Edited by Faz
twitter image removed