News Forum - Russia attacks Ukraine from three fronts, explosions in major cities

Thaiger

Russian military forces have officially launched a major assault on Ukraine with reports of explosions in major cities across the country. President Vladimir Putin announced the operation early Thursday morning, warning of an ‘instant’ response from Moscow to anyone who tries to confront Russia. He is urging Ukrainian soldiers in eastern Ukraine to “put down their weapons and return home”. In the capital of Kyiv, people have been trying to flee the city by car, causing major congestion on the roads, or hunkering down wherever they can find shelter. Many have fled to underground metro stations. CNN is reporting that […]

The story Russia attacks Ukraine from three fronts, explosions in major cities as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Thousands and thousands of people are going to die.

Hundreds of thousands of people are going to have their lives harmed.

Billions of dollars are going to be wasted.

All for Putin's ego.

What a vile, vile thing he is.

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2

I prayed just last night, that this wouldn't happen.

I grieve for the people, the children who will die.

"Russian forces have launched a major military assault on Ukraine, with reports of missile strikes and explosions in major cities

Russian President Vladimir Putin warns that Moscow's response will be "instant" if anyone tries to take on Russia

He urges Ukrainian soldiers in eastern Ukraine to lay down weapons and return to their homes

Ukraine's foreign minister accuses Russia of starting a full-scale war, and urges the UN "to do everything possible" to stop it

US President Joe Biden vows that the world will hold Russia accountable, predicting major loss of life

Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg says the bloc stands with Ukraine at this terrible time, and will do all it takes to defend all allies

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky earlier said an invasion "could be the beginning of a big war on the European continent" "

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60454795

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Faraday said:

I prayed just last night, that this wouldn't happen.

I grieve for the people, the children who will die.

"Russian forces have launched a major military assault on Ukraine, with reports of missile strikes and explosions in major cities

Russian President Vladimir Putin warns that Moscow's response will be "instant" if anyone tries to take on Russia

He urges Ukrainian soldiers in eastern Ukraine to lay down weapons and return to their homes

Ukraine's foreign minister accuses Russia of starting a full-scale war, and urges the UN "to do everything possible" to stop it

US President Joe Biden vows that the world will hold Russia accountable, predicting major loss of life

Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg says the bloc stands with Ukraine at this terrible time, and will do all it takes to defend all allies

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky earlier said an invasion "could be the beginning of a big war on the European continent" "

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60454795

Any words out of Russia? I am sure they, and those countries that support them, had a few things to say about who is to blame for all this too.  History will tell who is the main cause for the start of all this - which IMO was NATO in their relentless push to take their 'power/protection' (as you see fit) to the neighbours of Russia despite agreements signed after 1991 stating that they would not do so. 

But having said that, Russia going further than annexing self-declared independent States of eastern Ukraine, as they did with Crimea in 2014), is IMO going way too far and totally unacceptable.  NATO pushed the Russians too far too hard for too long - but invading all of Ukraine and threatening a massive war with Europe if they intercede in Ukraine, is wrong in any context. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

History will tell who is the main cause for the start of all this - which IMO was NATO in their relentless push to take their 'power/protection

It's is a tragedy how they forced Putins hand, and made him invade. 😁. You wonder how many will die all because of NATO. Of course the Ukraine is not part of NATO but close enough that invasion, killings, gutting the country, destruction, armed occupation of the country, plus an inevitable refugee flow to the west & economic recession (added to that caused by wuhan flu) was forced on the ever peace-loving  Vladimir Putin. 

Meanwhile it looks like they re opened the condo lap pool, choke dee.  

Very sad for the Ucranians, but the Americans and NATO and rest of Europeans need not escalate the response to Russia beyond economic sanctions, or WW3 will happen. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

NATO pushed the Russians too far too hard for too long -

6 minutes ago, Mudshark said:

You wonder how many will die all because of NATO.

NATO came into existence because of the Soviet's continued occupation of countries they tore through in the final mths of WW2 including the eastern side of Germany at the behest of Stalin .. had they packed up and headed back to the Motherland after Germany was defeated then there may never have been the need for NATO to exist .. but they didn't and since then the formerly Soviet Union and laterally Russian Federation have exhibited a belligerence that requires an organisation like NATO as the counterbalance .. it cannot be criticised least of all by Putin that free democratic countries within Europe have a right to join the organisation if they meet the criteria that provides them with protection from the very thing that is happening now and has been one of the main reasons Europe has ( had ) enjoyed relative peace for 70 odd yrs .. 

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Any words out of Russia? I am sure they, and those countries that support them, had a few things to say about who is to blame for all this too.  History will tell who is the main cause for the start of all this - which IMO was NATO in their relentless push to take their 'power/protection' (as you see fit) to the neighbours of Russia despite agreements signed after 1991 stating that they would not do so. 

But having said that, Russia going further than annexing self-declared independent States of eastern Ukraine, as they did with Crimea in 2014), is IMO going way too far and totally unacceptable.  NATO pushed the Russians too far too hard for too long - but invading all of Ukraine and threatening a massive war with Europe if they intercede in Ukraine, is wrong in any context. 

What signed agreements?

Russians occupied Eastern Europe after the end of WWII, and gouvenments not agreeing were liquidated.

Those peace loving Russians never do anything wrong. US an Europeans do, but what the Komaradski do in Syria is not different.

They are so trustworthy that even neutral countries like Sweden and Finland hold exercises together with NATO. Why do you think Finland bought F35’s, certainly not because they trust their neighbours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noble_Design said:

If NATO is going to just stick to watching the situation as it unfurls then their name really suits their acronym - No Action Talk Only

thank god for that, or things would get worse

it's not like NATO or the US won any wars over the last 40 years 🤣

• Haha 2

I don't know if it matters, but has Russia pushed beyond the separatists Eastern Ukraine provinces?

This is a disgusting provocation. I'd like to know want the average "Russian on the street" thinks of this development.

• Like 2

The Putin apologists should be ashamed of themselves on here.

NATO should declare a no fly zone over the whole of the Ukraine. Lets see how the Russian armies get on with no air support. If Putin thinks he can take on western air forces he is deluding himself.

We could all see this coming (except for the Putin bots) so lets raise the stakes and call his bluff.

Sanctions targeting him and his backers. Sanctions to crush the Russian economy. Sanctions against the Russian people until they realise that they would be better off without Putin being there.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Poolie said:

'President Joe Biden predicts a major loss of life and vows that the world will hold Russia accountable'

Bit late to care now, Joe.

Thats an abrupt volt face even for you.

All week you have been claiming Russia was not going to invade and Biden was talking nonsense.

• Like 3

Putin can now incorporate Ukraine into Russia. NATO is not going to go to war over it. And while NATO should have thought out its long term policies with more wisdom, it is Prince Vlad who is sending troops and doing the killing. He could have solved it via diplomacy, he chose not to. This is a war of choice, he wanted war & he got it.  He will also have to send in his FSB boys, to control the populace post war, although lots will leave.  Have fun Vlad.

They say the post cold war the world will revert to the ethno-nationalisms & dreams of empire that fueled the first world war. Today, happy I am getting older.

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I think the veiled threat is worse than that, I think the veiled threat that any nation that stands with the Ukraine will suffer "massive consequences", is a threat of nuclear consequences...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Very sad for the Ucranians, but the Americans and NATO and rest of Europeans need not escalate the response to Russia beyond economic sanctions, or WW3 will happen. 

That’s what they thought right before WWII. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

If NATO is going to just stick to watching the situation as it unfurls then their name really suits their acronym - No Action Talk Only

What exactly are they supposed to do? Send in the troops an watch while the nukes rain down on their troops and there own country as well? All they can do is reinforce the borders of the member nations, impose sanctions and supply weapons and ammunition to the Ukrainians. Which is exactly what the Ukrainian President has requested that other nations do. He knows that Putin has made the veiled threat to use nukes against any nation that sends their troops to support the Ukrainian side. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vlad said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the UK'S SAS has deployed already and is gathering information on Russian Missile sites and other juicy targets for Airstrikes.

I would. Very surprised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

'President Joe Biden predicts a major loss of life and vows that the world will hold Russia accountable'

Bit late to care now, Joe.

Not that I think Biden has done a good job, but in your opinion what should he have done to keep this from happening? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

I think the veiled threat is worse than that, I think the veiled threat that any nation that stands with the Ukraine will suffer "massive consequences", is a threat of nuclear consequences...

Putins televised speech. He looked nervous to me. His usual bluff and bluster was delivered but his eyes looked furtive and his hand gestures screamed worry.

Hell mend him. He started all this because of his ego. His position of power now depends on a quick victory. If it drags on and casualties on Russias side mount then he will be disposed of.

If the Russian economy collapses he gets done in as well. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tim_Melb said:

What exactly are they supposed to do? Send in the troops an watch while the nukes rain down on their troops and there own country as well? All they can do is reinforce the borders of the member nations, impose sanctions and supply weapons and ammunition to the Ukrainians. Which is exactly what the Ukrainian President has requested that other nations do. He knows that Putin has made the veiled threat to use nukes against any nation that sends their troops to support the Ukrainian side. 

No one will use Nuclear weapons Tim and Putin knows that we in the UK have Nuclear capability too. He is not stupid enough to use them. 

2 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Not that I think Biden has done a good job, but in your opinion what should he have done to keep this from happening? 

Kept his large nose out of it.

10 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

That’s what they thought right before WWII. 

Yes but the times have changed. Back then there were no weapons that could wipe the entire earths population with a few tenths of strikes. 

I reckon both parties will realize of this before wiping out earth. Nobody wins in a nuclear war.