News Forum - Government officials meet to discuss long-term visa options for foreigners

Thaiger

A government spokesman says the Thai PM has met with several members of his cabinet to discuss long-term residency options for foreigners. Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana says PM Prayut Chan-o-cha is currently in talks with a number of ministries and relevant agencies as to how to attract more foreign investment to the kingdom. The Bangkok Post reports that the PM met yesterday with Deputy PM Supattanapong Punmeechaow, Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda, Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, Customs Department director-general Patchara Anuntasilpa, and members of related agencies. Thanakorn says the officials discussed various long-stay visa options aimed at highly-skilled professionals and wealthy investors. The […]

The story Government officials meet to discuss long-term visa options for foreigners as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Same old story (show your money and will be welcomed with open arms)... What's disappointing is that Thailand lacks the self awareness to recognize just how negatively these announcements are received. And that they never achieve the desired outcomes because the rich have other more rewarding places to place their money

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

Sure would be nice to explore the idea of implementing a probation program for long-stay Non-O.  Say 5 or 7 years of consistent adherence to financials, 90-day reporting, TM forms, and perhaps added consistency of residing at the same address, as many folks in married and/or retired status tend to do anyway, year after year.

Not citizenship or permanent residency.  Rather, a "Trustee" program, like a model prisoner - which might appeal to the current lot in BKK if pitched in that context.  Name the program "Trustee in Thailand", or TiT for short.  New arrivals would look at us with envy, and aspire to become a TiT some day.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TWS60 said:

Sure would be nice to explore the idea of implementing a probation program for long-stay Non-O.  Say 5 or 7 years of consistent adherence to financials, 90-day reporting, TM forms, and perhaps added consistency of residing at the same address, as many folks in married and/or retired status tend to do anyway, year after year.

Not citizenship or permanent residency.  Rather, a "Trustee" program, like a model prisoner - which might appeal to the current lot in BKK if pitched in that context.  Name the program "Trustee in Thailand", or TiT for short.  New arrivals would look at us with envy, and aspire to become a TiT some day.

An excellent scheme, @TWS60! Just a pity it wouldn't sell to Anupong and Arkhom and co, who'd have an immediate and single response . . . "What's in it for us? . . . next Thai image-improving suggestion, please?"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

An excellent scheme, @TWS60! Just a pity it wouldn't sell to Anupong and Arkhom and co, who'd have an immediate and single response . . . "What's in it for us? . . . next Thai image-improving suggestion, please?"

"...next Thai image-improving suggestion, please?"

A new requirement that all current and future Immigration Officials must be smoking hot dancing girls with weird uncontrollable fetishes for older, fatter, middle-aged foreigners who prefer flip-flops?

It'd do for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

Give genuine remote workers with high incomes a decent long term visa, sit back and watch foreign money be sucked into and spent in Thailand. 

Would I want to put my assets into Thai bonds, cash bank accounts or other "investment opportunities" in Thailand - no way!

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

A new requirement that all current and future Immigration Officials must be smoking hot dancing girls with weird uncontrollable fetishes for older, fatter, middle-aged foreigners who prefer flip-flops?

It'd do for me.

Do they pay for beer for all their TiTs? (Trustees in Thailand) If so count me in!! ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

It'd do for me.

A new requirement that all current and future Immigration Officials must be smoking hot dancing girls with weird uncontrollable fetishes for older, fatter, middle-aged foreigners who prefer flip-flops? 8" heeled stilletos   Now that reads better.😂

1 hour ago, TWS60 said:

Excellent idea - say, after 5 years only one '180 day' report needed after six months, and after ten years none needed.

Sounds good to me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

Same old story (show your money and will be welcomed with open arms)... What's disappointing is that Thailand lacks the self awareness to recognize just how negatively these announcements are received. And that they never achieve the desired outcomes because the rich have other more rewarding places to place their money

Agreed - it never leads anywhere as there's nowhere for it to lead, and just makes some people already here or thinking about coming feel unwanted.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic sorry but no need to start a new one.....

Anyone see anything about LA and Sydney Thai Consulates upping the banked money for an OA Visa from 800k to 1.2m ? One in Canberra upped it then reverted it back to 800k.

Something in the wind perhaps?

20 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Slightly off topic sorry but no need to start a new one.....

Anyone see anything about LA and Sydney Thai Consulates upping the banked money for an OA Visa from 800k to 1.2m ? One in Canberra upped it then reverted it back to 800k.

Something in the wind perhaps?

In your PM

Can't really understand why the Thai government don't realise that backpackers who have a good experience in the kingdom will eventually start families and almost certainly bring them back to Thailand In a few years. 

• Like 3

Backpackers coming back here to start families after having a good experience?  Now that’s a scary thought.  I’m convinced comments in this forum are mostly from westerners who don’t have a pot to pi$$ in.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why on earth, would anyone want to live in Thailand, given the way that Farangs have been treated during this Pandemic?

I wounder how many who currently live here, would continue  to do so, if they could release their money from property without being seriously out of pocket?

Thailand has shown what it really thinks of Farangs of recent times, as if anyone was in any doubt.

They really should be paying us, seriously!

The country is on the bones of its arse, borrowed money upto the hilt, and still thinks that it can regain the 20% GDP from tourists that it's lost, using non tourist friendly mechanisms, that don't work all that well namely the Thailand Pass. They really think that switched on people who are live wire's are going to put their money here. 

We will see!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BIGGLES said:

Why on earth, would anyone want to live in Thailand, given the way that Farangs have been treated during this Pandemic?

I wounder how many who currently live here, would continue  to do so, if they could release their money from property without being seriously out of pocket?

Thailand has shown what it really thinks of Farangs of recent times, as if anyone was in any doubt.

The country is on the bones of its arse, borrowed money upto the hilt, and still thinks that it can regain the 20% GDP from tourists that it's lost, using non tourist friendly mechanisms, that don't work all that well namely the Thailand Pass. They really think that switched on people who are live wire's are going to put their money here. 

We will see!

May I assume you're still in the UK?

I'd say from a personal point of view that the first 14 months of the pandemic were a lot better here than in most other places in the world, with low case numbers and some 80 deaths (yes, that's the correct total for the first 14 months).

Then they made the huge mistake to allow Songkran and spread Delta all over the country. A bit like Boris' X-mas present.

The vaccination rollout was a disaster with too few doses and wrong distribution order.

But unexpected, and while staying careful, I was offered 2* Pfizer in September which is a lot better than what most Thais got, so that was a bit late but otherwise I'm very grateful.

And now they're discussing possibly new regulations for long-stayers. It would be prudent if they took into account that many are here already and may not be able to comply with new rules.

But ultimately we live in another country where we are guests and have to behave as such. Without making the effort to naturalise, they will set the rules and we will have to comply. Everyone will consciously or unconsciously balance the pros and cons on a personal level. It's as simple as that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Craig said:

Backpackers coming back here to start families after having a good experience?  Now that’s a scary thought.  I’m convinced comments in this forum are mostly from westerners who don’t have a pot to pi$$ in.  

I think the post was that backpackers come to Thailand and have a great time. They then start families (in their own country) and love to return with this family members to show their partners and children what a great place Thailand is. One backpacker becomes three or four returning in later years…

24 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

We will see!

I hate to say this as someone who has enjoyed travelling and living in Thailand for over 25 years, but I feel you are right. The only thing that keeps me going back to Thailand is the emotional connection I have and the many friends my wife and I made over the years. If I was back in my 20’s or 30’s I certainly wouldn’t even visit Thailand with the current arrangements for a basic tourist visa, let alone the Thailand Pass. If I was an older guy looking to retire and had no connection with Thailand I would feel moving there would lead to nothing but anguish and problems in later life. I hope it can change as it never use to be like this until around 2012 and certainly after the last coup.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Paco said:

They do it so wrong.. how to attract more foreigners, it is easy... stop baeing rasist and respect the foreigner for once..

I couldn’t agree more. They basically need to modernise their thinking and realise this is not 1921 but 2021. It’s utter madness in such a highly interconnected world. The Thais are happy to use all the western technology and tools in a modern society and yet still try to look down and isolate foreigners through extreme nationalism.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

But ultimately we live in another country where we are guests and have to behave as such. Without making the effort to naturalise, they will set the rules and we will have to comply. Everyone will consciously or unconsciously balance the pros and cons on a personal level. It's as simple as that. 

I agree with that @Bob20 especially the issue of naturalising and being a part of the community. When I started living for long periods in Thailand, I made it my business to learn to speak and read Thai. I’m by no means fluent and when I am away for a while my language skills fade. However, I think many more people would “make the effort” to speak Thai and fit in if they could see more reason to do so. Right now, apart from being able to ask for things and have some banter with the cops when they stop you or even have a little fun with Thais who you can catch out when they talk behind your back, there is very little advantage. If by learning the language you could get a better job,  or a job at all other than teaching, then I think more people would take it on. If you could be made to feel like there is a route to being accepted and naturalisation that leads to full integration then again I think more would do so.

After being in Thailand many years, I’ve come to the conclusion that no matter how good my Thai, how much effort I put in to fitting in, no matter how much money I am prepared to bring to Thailand, I would never ever be made to feel like I’m even close to being accepted. Discrimination would remain rife, jobs would be blocked, you would still be treated as a tourist and referred to collectively as Farang . You would remain the outsider simply because you are not Thai. They discriminate against each other enough just because you are from Issan, from the far North or from the Deep South and hence likely a Muslim. 

• Like 5