Next Newcastle United manager?

King Cotton

Now then footie fans . . . 

With the next Magpies’ manager picture changing almost daily – first, it was Conte, until Spurs snapped him up, then Unai Emery was supposedly (though not actually, it appears) having talks, while another early favourite, former Roma manager Paulo Fonseca, ‘has held talks with Newcastle but has not heard from the club this week (BBC)’ and for the money now falling towards Eddie Howe – maybe there’s more than enough expert opinion, here on TT, and some member two-penneths could be interesting, if not downright debatable 😠.

To help things along and for my two-penneth, a couple of observations:

1. Re yesterday’s falling-off of Unai Emery interest, Spanish football expert, Guillem Balague, has commented, "And then there was the lack of a clear vision from the club. If you want him, do you approach him in such a rushed way, without an official offer and with it coming out from the English side that it is all practically done? . . . . . Also, the different number and style of the candidates being considered appears to be a sign of a confused vision. That was a concern to some of those involved in conversations with the club hierarchy." Hmm . . . rather damning words from the Emery camp.
  2. Re the current Eddie Howe interest, although my gut-feeling says ‘no’, at least he’s a Brit and, from almost 30-yrs-worth of past records and by a very short margin of 1%, British managers have more than held their own at St James’ Park, in terms of the vital matches won percentages. Here are the stats . . .

1. Kevin Keegan             England           Feb 92 to Jan 97 (5 yrs)           win %   54.98
  2. Kenny Dalglish           Scotland          Jan 97 to Aug 98 (1.6 yrs)                     38.46
  3. Ruud Gullit                 Neth                 Aug 98 to Aug 99 (1 yr)                         34.62
  4. Bobby Robson           England           Sep 99 to Aug 04 (5 yrs)                       46.67
  5. Graeme Souness       Scotland          Sep 04 to Feb 06 (1.4 yrs)                    44.83
  6. Glenn Roeder             England           Feb 06 to May 07 (1.3 yrs)                   45.83
  7. Sam Allardyce             England           May 07 to Jan 08 (0.7 yrs)                    33.33
  8. 6 very short-term appointments       Jan 08 to May 09 (1.3 yrs)                   21.67
  9. Chris Hughton            Ireland             May 09 to Dec 10 (1.6 yrs)                  59.38
  10. Alan Pardew                England           Dec 10 to Dec 14 (4 yrs)                      38.38
  11. Steve McClaren           England           Jun 15 to Mar 16 (0.7 yrs)                   22.58
  12. Rafael Benitez             Spain               Mar 16 to Jun 19 (3.3 yrs)                    42.47
  13. Steve Bruce                  England           Jul 19 to Oct 21 (2.25 yrs)                   28.87

British managers’ average win % 39.6            

Foreign managers’ average win % 38.5

I have to say that I warm to the ‘Brit for The Toon’ concept, especially the Steven Gerrard type of Brit.

Any further two-penneths, before our footie-fanatic @BigHewer comes along with his inevitable ten-penneth? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

With the next Magpies’ manager picture changing almost daily – first, it was Conte, until Spurs snapped him up, then Unai Emery was supposedly (though not actually, it appears) having talks, while another early favourite, former Roma manager Paulo Fonseca, ‘has held talks with Newcastle but has not heard from the club this week (BBC)’ and for the money now falling towards Eddie Howe – maybe there’s more than enough expert opinion, here on TT, and some member two-penneths could be interesting, if not downright debatable 😠.

1. Re yesterday’s falling-off of Unai Emery interest, Spanish football expert, Guillem Balague, has commented, "And then there was the lack of a clear vision from the club. If you want him, do you approach him in such a rushed way, without an official offer and with it coming out from the English side that it is all practically done? . . . . . Also, the different number and style of the candidates being considered appears to be a sign of a confused vision. That was a concern to some of those involved in conversations with the club hierarchy." Hmm . . . rather damning words from the Emery camp.
  2. Re the current Eddie Howe interest, although my gut-feeling says ‘no’, at least he’s a Brit and, from almost 30-yrs-worth of past records and by a very short margin of 1%, British managers have more than held their own at St James’ Park, in terms of the vital matches won percentages. Here are the stats . . .

1. Kevin Keegan             England           Feb 92 to Jan 97 (5 yrs)           win %   54.98
  2. Kenny Dalglish           Scotland          Jan 97 to Aug 98 (1.6 yrs)                     38.46
  3. Ruud Gullit                 Neth                 Aug 98 to Aug 99 (1 yr)                         34.62
  4. Bobby Robson           England           Sep 99 to Aug 04 (5 yrs)                       46.67
  5. Graeme Souness       Scotland          Sep 04 to Feb 06 (1.4 yrs)                    44.83
  6. Glenn Roeder             England           Feb 06 to May 07 (1.3 yrs)                   45.83
  7. Sam Allardyce             England           May 07 to Jan 08 (0.7 yrs)                    33.33
  8. 6 very short-term appointments       Jan 08 to May 09 (1.3 yrs)                   21.67
  9. Chris Hughton            Ireland             May 09 to Dec 10 (1.6 yrs)                  59.38
  10. Alan Pardew                England           Dec 10 to Dec 14 (4 yrs)                      38.38
  11. Steve McClaren           England           Jun 15 to Mar 16 (0.7 yrs)                   22.58
  12. Rafael Benitez             Spain               Mar 16 to Jun 19 (3.3 yrs)                    42.47
  13. Steve Bruce                  England           Jul 19 to Oct 21 (2.25 yrs)                   28.87

I have to say that I warm to the ‘Brit for The Toon’ concept, especially the Steven Gerrard type of Brit.

Any further two-penneths, before our footie-fanatic @BigHewer comes along with his inevitable ten-penneth? 🤔

Seems it's all down to Eddy Howe I cant find any other news, have to wait until later catch up with the Toon Review see what they have to say

• Cool 1

Mike Bassett .? If Norwich don't get him first .. on a more serious note , a bit of a conundrum is this .. N U F C are a big club undoubtedly and now have considerable financial backing but it's a question of perception of image in trying to attract a successful manager as Newcastle is not seen in the same light as London and the North West .. personally whoever is calling the shots on the next Man needs to go to town on selling the vision of what Newcastle is and what Newcastle United can be .. don't see Eddie Howe as the answer , he's average and N U F C need more than average to get where they want to be now .. 

IMG_20211104_080112.jpg

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, Dedinbed said:

Mike Bassett .? If Norwich don't get him first .. on a more serious note , a bit of a conundrum is this .. N U F C are a big club undoubtedly and now have considerable financial backing but it's a question of perception of image in trying to attract a successful manager as Newcastle is not seen in the same light as London and the North West .. personally whoever is calling the shots on the next Man needs to go to town on selling the vision of what Newcastle is and what Newcastle United can be .. don't see Eddie Howe as the answer , he's average and N U F C need more than average to get where they want to be now .. 

IMG_20211104_080112.jpg

Don't joke about Norwich. Delia has offered a free supply of her special dishes and a lifetimes supply of Colman's mustard if they ( Newcastle) take Daniel Farke of her hands. Not only will it be a free transfer but also a commitment to sell draught Newcastle Brown in the clubs bar.

8 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

IMG_20211104_080112.jpg

Too true, @Dedinbed! I fully empathise with your 'N U F C need more than average to get where they want to be now .. ' . . . great comment, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Seems it's all down to Eddy Howe I cant find any other news, have to wait until later catch up with the Toon Review see what they have to say

Thanks, @Lowseasonlover!   A real case of watch this space! Looks like we'll have to wait till next week, with Graeme Jones looking set to be in the dugout this w/e.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Graeme Jones looking set to be in the dugout this w/e.

He's getting a good slagging off all over Newcastle, nothing different to Brucy 

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

He's getting a good slagging off all over Newcastle, nothing different to Brucy 

Aren't those Toon fans more than a bit of hard work. What the hell can they see Jones to have done wrong since being thrown into the lion's den? Poor guy! . . . and I guess it more than emphasises that the NU directors will need to be quite canny in who they next speak to - someone who can realistically keep them in the PL and perhaps finish the season approaching, if not reaching, mid-table and, after a further five years, maybe look for a bigger name to take them into the CL potential ranks. And, like I said in my OP, I do have this gut-feeling that a Brit would be the best bet with that rationale in mind. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Listening to Trevor Sinclair talk about football is like me talking about Quantum Physics'

A TalkSport fan, eh? I packed that in about 2 yrs ago, when I found Jim White just that little too 'fizzy' to help my beer down. Might well be worth tuning in again, now, though 🤔!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

A TalkSport fan, eh? I packed that in about 2 yrs ago, when I found Jim White just that little too 'fizzy' to help my beer down. Might well be worth tuning in again, now, though 🤔!

He has Simon Jordan on his show now who knows what he's talking about when it comes to business side of football but Jordan must feel like a master Swiss watch craftsman being asked to put a battery in a Casio with some of the questions White puts his way ..  Lowseasonlover is bang on about Sinclair .. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

He has Simon Jordan on his show now who knows what he's talking about when it comes to business side of football but Jordan must feel like a master Swiss watch craftsman being asked to put a battery in a Casio with some of the questions White puts his way ..  Lowseasonlover is bang on about Sinclair .. 

Yes, can't that Jordan guy just rabbit on a bit! Like you say, though, he was always (going back to my TS days) well worth listening to, with his hard-earned experience of club ownership and any other footie money-matters. Maybe it was JW that suggested that SJ should run for prime minister and, given the present incumbent, I have to nod my head, there 😏!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, can't that Jordan guy just rabbit on a bit! Like you say, though, he was always (going back to my TS days) well worth listening to, with his hard-earned experience of club ownership and any other footie money-matters. Maybe it was JW that suggested that SJ should run for prime minister and, given the present incumbent, I have to nod my head, there 😏!

I dont think he likes Amanda

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, King Cotton said:

You’ve put the pressure on me there, KC… I am still digesting the reality of it to be honest. I like the idea of Lampard because he places a lot of trust in young players, though I think now we need a motivator… Gerrard or Zidane. Even Shearer. Howe is all about establishing a playing style and culture, and that could be a disaster in the current climate. 

Whoever the next manager is, it’s going to be an interim job. Get through the season, get some backing in January, stay up. 

(to be continued 😁)

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Big Sam is saying it's a good job for Lampard 

Oh yes, Big Sam, one of the lowest % winners in the club's last 30 years . . . he should know (facetious comment, there 🤭!)

As much as I liked Lampard, both as player and personage, his disappointing  spell at Chelsea more than tells me he's not 'big' enough for The Toon. The dressing room will be more than aware of their manager's history and I believe that this will have a silent but telling effect on the way they listen to him and, more crucially, perform for him. Just a feeling!

Rafael Benitez is the obvious choice to rejoin as Manager, big name and will attract good players in January to sign for Newcastle.

• Cool 1

An interesting choice, @Andrew Reeve, for Rafa, now well into his assignment with Everton, a rock solid pillar of the PL, to consider the riskier challenge that NUFC may offer. Another week, maybe, and we'll all know . . . maybe!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Next up for Everton is Spurs and another defeat for Everton could push him closer to the exit door and Newcastle.

Hmm . . . maybe, but I do hope NOT 😥!

Villarreal manager Unai Emery turned down a move to Newcastle because the club wanted a clause in his contract which would allow them to sack him if the Magpies are relegated at the end of the season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Most of the sites I visit refer to them as "Talkshite". Maybe you haven't missed much.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

That is so often the way. Interesting guests being bombarded with asinine questions.

• Cool 1

15 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Just to add weight to your English Manager theory, it is noteworthy that the most successful manager in your list, Chris Hughton, was born in Forest Gate, London. He qualified for Ireland through his mother.

If you factor that in, English managers rise to 41.38 against 36.41

• Cool 1