Next Newcastle United manager?

King Cotton

42 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Eddie Howe hoping to be named Newcastle United manager

The former AFC Bournemouth boss has held positive talks with the new United board

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-eddie-howe-talks-22073435

Eddie Howe was well liked at Bournmouth and in the early days there did well on a limited budget, something I suspect will not now be an issue at Newcastle. I think it could either be a big opportunity to prove  his managerial abilities further or else just be a poisoned chalice.

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

Just to add weight to your English Manager theory, it is noteworthy that the most successful manager in your list, Chris Hughton, was born in Forest Gate, London. He qualified for Ireland through his mother.

If you factor that in, English managers rise to 41.38 against 36.41

Thanks, @JohninDubin, but Hughton's excellent 59% was, in any event, included in the British managers' average figure.

16 minutes ago, gummy said:

Eddie Howe was well liked at Bournmouth and in the early days there did well on a limited budget, something I suspect will not now be an issue at Newcastle. I think it could either be a big opportunity to prove  his managerial abilities further or else just be a poisoned chalice.

If he does get the job he's in for a tough time Im just looking at the league table, I dont see Newcastle getting a win at Brighton and if Leeds Aston Villa and Watford all win that puts Newcastle 9 points adrift and December look a tough fixture list

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

If he does get the job he's in for a tough time Im just looking at the league table, I dont see Newcastle getting a win at Brighton and if Leeds Aston Villa and Watford all win that puts Newcastle 9 points adrift and December look a tough fixture list

Well history does repeat itself and 2015/16 both Newcastle and Norwich were both relegated

Looks like we’re moving towards Howe. I always liked him as a manager, positive on and off the pitch. 

The Toon supporters will give him time. I think if he can secure safety and get them playing for him, it could turn out all right. 

The question is then, which players are going to fit in with his playing style? I can see Shelvey and Joelinton becoming more influential under Howe, but worry for Saint-Maximin.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I just realised in the Newcastle team are 3 players from Bournemouth   Callum Wilson, Ryan Fraser and Matt Ritchie, 

Fraser especially has been used very sparingly since but was trusted a lot more as a distributor by Howe.

I can see Newcastle going for one or two Bournemouth players in January or after the Cherries are promoted at season’s end. Cahill in January, Billing for next season.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

15 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Fraser especially has been used very sparingly since but was trusted a lot more as a distributor by Howe.

I can see Newcastle going for one or two Bournemouth players in January or after the Cherries are promoted at season’s end. Cahill in January, Billing for next season.

United will pay you 5 million to take Phil Jones 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Looks like we’re moving towards Howe. I always liked him as a manager, positive on and off the pitch. 

The Toon supporters will give him time. I think if he can secure safety and get them playing for him, it could turn out all right. 

The question is then, which players are going to fit in with his playing style? I can see Shelvey and Joelinton becoming more influential under Howe, but worry for Saint-Maximin.

Howe was always a personable guy, as you intone, @BigHewer, but my prime reservation re his Toon-fit is whether or not he, the players and the fans will be able to readily delete his Cherries relegation history, only 2 seasons ago. It was a serious fail, IMO, whichever way you look at it and one which Howe, especially, will take a long time to forget . . . not exactly the confidence booster that he could do with at the start of a new and very BIG challenge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

United will pay you 5 million to take Phil Jones 

That one must sting a bit, paying those big wages to a kit bag guy. Hasn’t he got years left on his contract?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Howe was always a personable guy, as you intone, @BigHewer, but my prime reservation re his Toon-fit is whether or not he, the players and the fans will be able to readily delete his Cherries relegation history, only 2 seasons ago. It was a serious fail, IMO, whichever way you look at it and one which Howe, especially, will take a long time to forget . . . not exactly the confidence booster that he could do with at the start of a new and very BIG challenge.

Howe just went stale at Bournemouth, just like Monk at Swansea and Nuno at Wolves. Hopefully he fares better with a fresh start than the other two chaps.

With the personnel he had, he should never have gone down, agreed. 

• Cool 1

24 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

That one must sting a bit, paying those big wages to a kit bag guy. Hasn’t he got years left on his contract?

'Kit bag guy' . . . love it 😄But he still gets the occasional praise for a well-timed tackle and managing not to be red-carded. Still sting a bit, though!

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

'Kit bag guy' . . . love it 😄But he still gets the occasional praise for a well-timed tackle and managing not to be red-carded. Still sting a bit, though!

Yes KC, the training atmosphere is very positive in the under 23s, with copious praise handed out on training days to boost player self-esteem. Apparently he’s also an ace with the bowline and clove hitch knots favored by the Man U kit men.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

He's been working in the Museum 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Yes KC, the training atmosphere is very positive in the under 23s, with copious praise handed out on training days to boost player self-esteem. Apparently he’s also an ace with the bowline and clove hitch knots favored by the Man U kit men.

Okay, @BigHewer, maybe my 'occasional praise' remark was from a season or two ago. Seems like only yesterday . . . boy, don't those years just fly by when you get to 50 :classic_sad:!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

80 grand a week I think 2 years left on his contract, but I dont think that was down to Ole

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Perhaps the new Ownership are already conceding this season and they foresee Newcastle being relegated.

I can’t see them not investing in January. Venky’s let Blackburn go down with a whimper but I think this Saudi mob will flash the cash a bit in the next window.

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I can’t see them not investing in January. Venky’s let Blackburn go down with a whimper but I think this Saudi mob will flash the cash a bit in the next window.

You may be right and will possible kill for a big signing 😂

18 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Perhaps the new Ownership are already conceding this season and they foresee Newcastle being relegated.

Jeeze, @Lowseasonlover . . . you've gotta be joking! 28 more games to be played and the January transfer window only a couple of months away . . . if the new owners aren't serious about a top-half-of-the-table finish, this time around, they need a long, hard talk to Sir Alex F or someone of similar persuasion to help them see the daylight from the darkness.

Ah, now I get it . . . you were joking. Why do I always take things so literally 🤔?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, gummy said:

You may be right and will possible kill for a big signing 😂

I see the other day Coutinho on loan from Barca, really?

• Cool 1

E H will likely be officially appointed later according to all the media .. not overly convinced that he is the guy for Newcastle .. in the short term he's gotta galvanize a team 6 points adrift already but his win rate at Bournemouth left a lot to be desired when they were relegated a couple of season's back .. and don't overlook that his stint at Burnley was not productive with less than 40% of games won .. but working on the principle that he does avoid relegation what comes later in the long game .? He hasn't got the experience to take them into the top bracket which is ultimately where they are aiming to be .. Man City  used up Hughes , Mancini , Pellegrini before convincing Pep' to arrive who has elevated them into that exclusive top echelon club .. but that has taken near 10 yrs .. for the Toon to achieve the goals that the new owners aspire to they need a stronger more charismatic appointment with a record of success at the top table .. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dedinbed said:

E H will likely be officially appointed later according to all the media .. not overly convinced that he is the guy for Newcastle .. in the short term he's gotta galvanize a team 6 points adrift already but his win rate at Bournemouth left a lot to be desired when they were relegated a couple of season's back .. and don't overlook that his stint at Burnley was not productive with less than 40% of games won .. but working on the principle that he does avoid relegation what comes later in the long game .? He hasn't got the experience to take them into the top bracket which is ultimately where they are aiming to be .. Man City  used up Hughes , Mancini , Pellegrini before convincing Pep' to arrive who has elevated them into that exclusive top echelon club .. but that has taken near 10 yrs .. for the Toon to achieve the goals that the new owners aspire to they need a stronger more charismatic appointment with a record of success at the top table .. 

Yep next we will hear is that Roy Hodgson is being tempted out of retirement, he has all the credentials.