Next Newcastle United manager?

King Cotton

3 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Have to agree every word, there, except for the 'poisoned' chalice. With The Toon's past managerial history, many manager prospects may well start to take that negative view. For the right man, though, I'd like to compare the NUFC challenge with the Glasgow Rangers challenge that Gerrard took on, almost like a duck to water . . . little relevant coaching experience, but a KINGSIZE heart!

More a challenging chalice, I reckon . . . for the man with a big enough heart.

Some fellas are immune to poison, KC. Your man Gerrard is one such character, agreed.

• Like 1

Looks like a done deal according to the Toon Army, he 2 weeks to kick this lot into shape his first game is Brentford good luck with that

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gummy said:

So he may be interested in Norwich, fingers crossed Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Well too late now he signed for Newcastle. Never mind Norwich are in talks with Frank Lampard and some Norwegian most of the world has never heard of. Apparently he has a great home record as a Husky sled driver so guess they will go for him as his win bonuses need only be a couple of seals.

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Looks like a done deal according to the Toon Army, he 2 weeks to kick this lot into shape his first game is Brentford good luck with that

Thanks for that early news, @Lowseasonlover. . . I'm sure you're right with your good luck wishes. Sceptical regarding his suitability or not, I do now give him my best wishes, too, to get this great club back into shape.

Let's look ahead to Christmas and the Jan transfer window and see what Howe's first six weeks have done for The Toon.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 2:53 PM, King Cotton said:

Now then footie fans . . . 

With the next Magpies’ manager picture changing almost daily – first, it was Conte, until Spurs snapped him up, then Unai Emery was supposedly (though not actually, it appears) having talks, while another early favourite, former Roma manager Paulo Fonseca, ‘has held talks with Newcastle but has not heard from the club this week (BBC)’ and for the money now falling towards Eddie Howe – maybe there’s more than enough expert opinion, here on TT, and some member two-penneths could be interesting, if not downright debatable 😠.

To help things along and for my two-penneth, a couple of observations:

1. Re yesterday’s falling-off of Unai Emery interest, Spanish football expert, Guillem Balague, has commented, "And then there was the lack of a clear vision from the club. If you want him, do you approach him in such a rushed way, without an official offer and with it coming out from the English side that it is all practically done? . . . . . Also, the different number and style of the candidates being considered appears to be a sign of a confused vision. That was a concern to some of those involved in conversations with the club hierarchy." Hmm . . . rather damning words from the Emery camp.
  2. Re the current Eddie Howe interest, although my gut-feeling says ‘no’, at least he’s a Brit and, from almost 30-yrs-worth of past records and by a very short margin of 1%, British managers have more than held their own at St James’ Park, in terms of the vital matches won percentages. Here are the stats . . .

1. Kevin Keegan             England           Feb 92 to Jan 97 (5 yrs)           win %   54.98
  2. Kenny Dalglish           Scotland          Jan 97 to Aug 98 (1.6 yrs)                     38.46
  3. Ruud Gullit                 Neth                 Aug 98 to Aug 99 (1 yr)                         34.62
  4. Bobby Robson           England           Sep 99 to Aug 04 (5 yrs)                       46.67
  5. Graeme Souness       Scotland          Sep 04 to Feb 06 (1.4 yrs)                    44.83
  6. Glenn Roeder             England           Feb 06 to May 07 (1.3 yrs)                   45.83
  7. Sam Allardyce             England           May 07 to Jan 08 (0.7 yrs)                    33.33
  8. 6 very short-term appointments       Jan 08 to May 09 (1.3 yrs)                   21.67
  9. Chris Hughton            Ireland             May 09 to Dec 10 (1.6 yrs)                  59.38
  10. Alan Pardew                England           Dec 10 to Dec 14 (4 yrs)                      38.38
  11. Steve McClaren           England           Jun 15 to Mar 16 (0.7 yrs)                   22.58
  12. Rafael Benitez             Spain               Mar 16 to Jun 19 (3.3 yrs)                    42.47
  13. Steve Bruce                  England           Jul 19 to Oct 21 (2.25 yrs)                   28.87

British managers’ average win % 39.6            

Foreign managers’ average win % 38.5

I have to say that I warm to the ‘Brit for The Toon’ concept, especially the Steven Gerrard type of Brit.

Any further two-penneths, before our footie-fanatic @BigHewer comes along with his inevitable ten-penneth? 🤔

So that's the next NUFC manager issue all done & dusted after quite an 'interesting' 5 days. No need for me to attempt to justify Eddie Howe's appointment or to condemn it, since Google will provide ample scope for that.

What I want to mention, though, is that Howe's football league record, from League 2 upwards and with an eye on the above percentage-win numbers, stands at a creditable 42% . . . better than most, but lower than six of them, with Ireland's Chris Hughton (59%) and England's very own Kevin Keegan (55%) the two clear top performers.

In a word (or two) then, Howe has it all to do and there'll be 40 to 50 thousand pairs of 'Toon' eyes keeping a very close watch. All the best, EH!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

So that's the next NUFC manager issue all done & dusted after quite an 'interesting' 5 days. No need for me to attempt to justify Eddie Howe's appointment or to condemn it, since Google will provide ample scope for that.

What I want to mention, though, is that Howe's football league record, from League 2 upwards and with an eye on the above percentage-win numbers, stands at a creditable 42% . . . better than most, but lower than six of them, with Ireland's Chris Hughton (59%) and England's very own Kevin Keegan (55%) the two clear top performers.

In a word (or two) then, Howe has it all to do and there'll be 40 to 50 thousand pairs of 'Toon' eyes keeping a very close watch. All the best, EH!

Also Lee Charnley has had his contract terminated 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Also Lee Charnley has had his contract terminated 

Looks like the new owners have adopted the motto . . . 'Good guys in, bad guys out!'

Hmm . . . where have I seen that before? 🤔

I'm not a Newcastle fan but I can't for the life of me understand why EH took this job ( other than the money). On the face of it their entire philosophy is utterly different to what he was used to at Bournmouth.  I now he has a decent contract but can't help thinking that given next Summer the new owners will have had time to scout around for a more renowned manager and then dump EH at the end of the season. Obviously any termination penalties will be a drop in the bucket for the Saudi's.

NUFC Fixtures before the New Year Break and January transfer window (H - home, A - away):

Brentford (H)

Arsenal (A)

Norwich (H)

Burnley (H)

Leicester (A)

Liverpool (A)

Man City (H)

Man U (H)

Everton (A)

Southampton (A)

What’s going to be an acceptable return for Howe on those 10 games? They’ll need 13-15 points to be out of the bottom three by then, no guarantees there.

That Norwich game looks like a big’un.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

11 hours ago, BigHewer said:

NUFC Fixtures before the New Year Break and January transfer window (H - home, A - away):

Brentford (H)

Arsenal (A)

Norwich (H)

Burnley (H)

Leicester (A)

Liverpool (A)

Man City (H)

Man U (H)

Everton (A)

Southampton (A)

What’s going to be an acceptable return for Howe on those 10 games? They’ll need 13-15 points to be out of the bottom three by then, no guarantees there.

That Norwich game looks like a big’un.

Nice one, @BigHewer!     That stark, black & white visual of the NUFC task, over the next 6 weeks, makes it truly look like a task-and-a-half. Even drawing each game, for a point apiece, looks like wishful thinking, let alone averaging the 1.3 to 1.5 pts per game that you outline.

I can see The Toon's training ground and dressing room being fairly lively places for the coming months.

41 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Nice one, @BigHewer!     That stark, black & white visual of the NUFC task, over the next 6 weeks, makes it truly look like a task-and-a-half. Even drawing each game, for a point apiece, looks like wishful thinking, let alone averaging the 1.3 to 1.5 pts per game that you outline.

I can see The Toon's training ground and dressing room being fairly lively places for the coming months.

Yes KC. I think there’s a solid chance they’ll still be in the bottom three when the transfer window opens. I’m wondering what the response will be and what say Howe will have in the transfers.

• Cool 1

59 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Yes KC. I think there’s a solid chance they’ll still be in the bottom three when the transfer window opens. I’m wondering what the response will be and what say Howe will have in the transfers.

Wasnt he one of EH players Nathen Ake? doing nothing at city maybe could take him on loan

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

56 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

' . . . what say Howe will have in the transfers.'  A worrying issue, for sure, @BigHewer, that makes me recall that infamous Director-of-Football appointment (Jan 2008) by Ashley & co, when they put Dennis Wise in that seat, a situation that the returning Kevin Keegan was outspokenly unhappy about and which led to Wise's equally unhappy departure 14-mths later, publicly admitting that "it has all had a damaging effect on my career". Whether or not the ego-centric Wise sensed the smiles on many thousand Toon fans' faces as he trudged down those famous steps, was clearly of little concern to them.

Them were t'days, when t'gaffer were t'gaffer, IMO, with no upper-office meddling in key player recruitment matters. Just my two-penneth as this thread refuses to be drawn to a close 🤔.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

' . . . what say Howe will have in the transfers.'  A worrying issue, for sure, @BigHewer, that makes me recall that infamous Director-of-Football appointment (Jan 2008) by Ashley & co, when they put Dennis Wise in that seat, a situation that the returning Kevin Keegan was outspokenly unhappy about and which led to Wise's equally unhappy departure 14-mths later, publicly admitting that "it has all had a damaging effect on my career". Whether or not the ego-centric Wise sensed the smiles on many thousand Toon fans' faces as he trudged down those famous steps, was clearly of little concern to them.

Them were t'days, when t'gaffer were t'gaffer, IMO, with no upper-office meddling in key player recruitment matters. Just my two-penneth as this thread refuses to be drawn to a close 🤔.

We'll switch it to Ole out next

• Cool 1

34 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Okay then, @Lowseasonlover. Do you fancy setting-up a 'How long for Ole?' thread? . . . A sure-fire winner, I'd say 🤗!

Should have been a Manager Sack Watch,

I guess with all the noise around Newcastle nobody has mentioned Chris Wilder to Boro 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Should have been a Manager Sack Watch,

I guess with all the noise around Newcastle nobody has mentioned Chris Wilder to Boro 

And now, @Lowseasonlover, Villa looking at Gerrard . . . 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/09/aston-villa-want-steven-gerrard-next-manager-plan-rangers-approach?utm_term=618b51d3c5feb6af7286ccd7f02db1bf&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

Watch this space . . . it's getting exciting!

• Like 1