News Forum - PM Prayut urges a new Thailand focused on tourism, sustainability

Thaiger

As the reopening of Thailand cranks the doors open wide to international travellers after cracking it open with Sandbox schemes over the past 4 months, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha is focusing on tourism in reimagining Thailand moving forward. PM Prayut has called for all sectors of the nation to come together to transform the country in the “new normal” with tourism as a main tenet of the new, improved Thailand. Looking to piggyback on the reopening to forge a new path for Thailand, the prime minister directed government agencies at a CCSA meeting to look for immediate changes that could be […]

The story PM Prayut urges a new Thailand focused on tourism, sustainability as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Article quote: Then they marched out the usual trope they’ve been proclaiming for years: Thailand needs to stop worrying about bringing in the most travelers and instead focus on quality tourists, leaning again on the government’s penchant for attempting to wrangle a few rich tourists instead of millions of backpackers and travelers they consider low-quality.

The sooner all of these Junta jerks, the elite, the hob knobbing Thai socialites, the convicted drug trafficker, and silver spoon engineer moonlighting as a Health minister are made to leave, the sooner Thailand can recover and get back to its normal way of life. There is nothing new and positive being pushed, but just the contrary as negative and destructive. One would consider them to be low quality snobs.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

He's been allowed on a school trip to Glasgow ☺️ now he learned the word sustainability 😉

Don't worry, it's another one day wonder and will soon be forgotten once they realise it costs money.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

If they think the super rich want to visit or live in Thailand, they're smoking something they need to share with the rest of the population. The NATIONAL economy will benefit from low-mid class travelers who will spend money at more diverse locations than the rich would. Lower the complexity of tourist travel and restrictions if TOURISM is really that important.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

PM Prayut urges a new Thailand

Ok, so when are the elections?

I'd be careful with that 'cos you don't get to vote and the outcome may not be as cut and dried as you wish.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

12 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

He's been allowed on a school trip to Glasgow ☺️ now he learned the word sustainability 😉

Don't worry, it's another one day wonder and will soon be forgotten once they realise it costs money.

It's probably really only about the PR photos he takes with the famous and high ranking people on trips or when they visit Thailand that he gets to put on his wall. Except on this trip he looked like a gushing little man when standing with Biden and Prince Charles

image.png.cbb55000b54438726d0a9a0cba8979ad.pngimage.png.377d5116ba025b0b9ceb42bbf53ab4c6.png

• Cool 1

Come on, Mr. PM, how are you going to focus on international tourism if your CCSA & MOPH are still panicking on another surge of COVID-19 cases & being pessimistic. "New Thailand"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

... with tourism as a main tenet of the new, improved Thailand. .... leaning again on the government’s penchant for attempting to wrangle a few rich tourists instead of millions of backpackers

It's hard to imagine how any "leader" could be more out of touch with their people.

Many Thais, even in Phuket and Pattaya, have realised the complete opposite over the last year or more: 

that i) outside the tourist centres, tourists aren't the be-all and end-all of their existence after all, and that ii) the ones they need aren't the big spenders who come in limited numbers and pay big bucks to a few up-market approved hotels and restaurants, but the complete reverse - ones who are happy to spread their money around to all levels that everyone can profit from.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Maybe but more likely he is just confused with that other buzzword/phrase  that has died of death and thinks it is the same thing , you know the one  "Sufficiency  Economy" where loosely interpreted means "Do as I tell you , not as I do, and never try to better yourself"

28 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

It's probably really only about the PR photos he takes with the famous and high ranking people on trips or when they visit Thailand that he gets to put on his wall. Except on this trip he looked like a gushing little man when standing with Biden and Prince Charles

image.png.cbb55000b54438726d0a9a0cba8979ad.pngimage.png.377d5116ba025b0b9ceb42bbf53ab4c6.png

Joe is apparently 1:82 metres, so uncle is a midget, by comparison.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

Bringing in Quality tourists is mentioned as opposed to the quantity of tourists

Whew, glad I retired here before they checked my background and spending habits 555

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

I'd be careful with that 'cos you don't get to vote and the outcome may not be as cut and dried as you wish.

TRUE. 

Do you lock yourself in a dark room being careful or do you try to see a way forward for the betterment of the people and have a go.

It's a bit like marriage "for better or worse" most of us had a go at that too. You wear the result.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Joe is apparently 1:82 metres, so uncle is a midget, by comparison.

Yes but as he wanted to fit in and even though he didn't know what its true meaning was, you could here him saying to Joe: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes but as he wanted to fit in and even though he didn't know what its true meaning was, you could here him saying to Joe: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

"By George, I think you've got it" 😂

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Faraday said:

"By George, I think you've got it" 😂

Now once again, where does it rain?
On da plane! On da plane! 🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sarisin said:

40 million tourists a years was never sustainable, what's the PM's number?

UP . . . I pray

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

TRUE. 

Do you lock yourself in a dark room being careful or do you try to see a way forward for the betterment of the people and have a go.

It's a bit like marriage "for better or worse" most of us had a go at that too. You wear the result.

No, I just know when I'm beating my head against the wall. It hurts so I stop.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

I have some very basic advice for the PM (not that he's asking for it), but he's getting it anyway.

First, let me say I hope you had an enjoyable school trip to Glasgow for COP (CRAP)26.

Secondly,if you really want the return of 20% of your countries GDP, then stop making it difficult for the tourist to come to Thailand. 

Thirdly, get rid of all those who run the joke shop, aka the TAT.

Fourthly, forget this nonsense of high class, high spending tourist. They are not the ones who made your 20% of GDP contributions, concentrate on what works!

Finally, accept only fully vaccinated tourists, with proof of negative PCRtest, then issue visa on arrival.

Get rid of the crap restrictions of entry, open the bars, restaurants etc, and try offering real incentives for tourists to come and spend.

Try the Malta idea, they pay tourists to visit.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

I have some very basic advice for the PM (not that he's asking for it), but he's getting it anyway.

First, let me say I hope you had an enjoyable school trip to Glasgow for COP (CRAP)26.

Secondly,if you really want the return of 20% of your countries GDP, then stop making it difficult for the tourist to come to Thailand. 

Thirdly, get rid of all those who run the joke shop, aka the TAT.

Fourthly, forget this nonsense of high class, high spending tourist. They are not the ones who made your 20% of GDP contributions, concentrate on what works!

Finally, accept only fully vaccinated tourists, with proof of negative PCRtest, then issue visa on arrival.

Get rid of the crap restrictions of entry, open the bars, restaurants etc, and try offering real incentives for tourists to come and spend.

Try the Malta idea, they pay tourists to visit.  

Incentivise the Gogos and short time bars with government financial support, buy one get one free - just an idea

Like it or not, the Thai Government (military junta) is in charge. Military are drilled and disciplined, used to strict protocol, ranks, responsibilities and ultimately to repel an invasion or put down insurrection that threatens public order. If you think that makes for a free, open, democratic government....really?? Of course not!. Most of the comments are the result of people who come from open, democratic, societies and look at what goes on in Thailand through that lense. 

As for your desire to sow the seeds of dissent. That's all well and good, but that is the right of the Thai People. It isn't my right in their country. When I visit, I am a guest of the country. I live in accordance with Thai Law and respect their culture and beliefs. If I became a Thai citizen, different story. That gives me a voice along with everyone else. And yes, I would be active in trying to restore democracy. 

I don't think General Prayut cares much about what we say. Democracy needs to work it's way back into Thailand as a grassroots movement. And it needs to do a better job of managing the country than it did last time. 

• Like 1

First off get a real PM not a junta general!

Second, Get rid if the 3 world status 

Thrid stop charging extra ?for falangs !

Last, stop the covid fees !

• Like 2