News Forum - PM Prayut urges a new Thailand focused on tourism, sustainability

Thaiger

19 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Although I agree with your quoted difference in net-income between China and the west, backpackers aren't for the most part working people, but gap-year takers and/or folk being supported by parents or savings.

But that still doesn't change the fact that little Chinese money goes into the local economy.

I agree but remember the time before covid khao san road the islands with the full moon parties you saw restaurants, bars, clubs full packed and spending money. So I was referring what we experienced in Thailand and compare the spendings to this bus tours we experienced.

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Not sure if they are the lowest quality, but I get what you mean. So yes them and then them who are on other group types of tours who do spend a little bit. For CM, the Chinese folk who are staying here do seem to have money and are probably inline as all the expats with money. When I was a young about mid 20's kid, I probably spent a thousand USD a week here. And that is on top of the airfare to get here. Do they not ever think that airfare is also money spent to get here? I never ever ever was a burden and paid my own way more than my share.

And Thailand has a festival culture full moon parties, all these Isan festivals where you see a lot of Thai and foreign backpackers who like to enjoy and spending money. I guess many would be surprised how much money comes in festivals or where these crowds are. It must be people who not know a lot about Thailand and what business they make and they woukd surprised how much money they spend in Khao san road and daily full packed that it was difficult to walk through because of the amount of people there. The Bangkokians know what I am talking about.

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

And Thailand has a festival culture full moon parties, all these Isan festivals where you see a lot of Thai and foreign backpackers who like to enjoy and spending money. I guess many would be surprised how much money comes in festivals or where these crowds are. It must be people who not know a lot about Thailand and what business they make and they woukd surprised how much money they spend in Khao san road and daily full packed that it was difficult to walk through because of the amount of people there. The Bangkokians know what I am talking about.

I agree. The contribution of all tourists on all levels is very important. But I would probably say that the tourists and people they are trying to alienate are the ones who spready the most wealth around to most of the Thai on mid to lower levels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I agree. The contribution of all tourists on all levels is very important. But I would probably say that the tourists and people they are trying to alienate are the ones who spready the most wealth around to most of the Thai on mid to lower levels.

Exactly because of the infrastructure of Thailand, how you to change it into a high end in the size of Thailand and the huge amount of hotels, restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, vendors etc into high end and where you get that huge amount of high end tourists to fill the whole tourism infrastructure in Thailand? Who will transform them all into 5 star hotels and restaurants who will develop the infrastructure and in what time and where comes the money for that etc etc. If somebody not lost his mind is aware of that. Sure it is only a widespread tourism in all categories possible in Thailand. And if somebody anounce now we are a high end destination like it will fall from the sky and tomorrow we wake up in a high developed infrastructure like Singapore must be really a Clown, because nobody who not lost completly lost his mind would anounce such nonsense.

23 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Exactly because of the infrastructure of Thailand, how you to change it into a high end in the size of Thailand and the huge amount of hotels, restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, vendors etc into high end and where you get that huge amount of high end tourists to fill the whole tourism infrastructure in Thailand? Who will transform them all into 5 star hotels and restaurants who will develop the infrastructure and in what time and where comes the money for that etc etc. If somebody not lost his mind is aware of that. Sure it is only a widespread tourism in all categories possible in Thailand. And if somebody anounce now we are a high end destination like it will fall from the sky and tomorrow we wake up in a high developed infrastructure like Singapore must be really a Clown, because nobody who not lost completly lost his mind would anounce such nonsense.

The day they change here into a Singapore is the day I look for a second place to call home and just come and go seeing my family here. But it plainly is not possible and thank Buddha on that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I don't see backpackers spending any sizeable abount of money. There nature is to spend as little as possible,  if there are high end backpackers,  I've never seem them.

They come back some years later when they get their university degrees and high paid jobs. Stay in 4 Star hotels with their families and spend lots of money. Well they do if they were welcomed to Thailand when they were backpacking. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

They come back some years later when they get their university degrees and high paid jobs. Stay in 4 Star hotels with their families and spend lots of money. Well they do if they were welcomed to Thailand when they were backpacking. 

That's your belief, but I don't buy it.

On 11/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, Bob20 said:

He's been allowed on a school trip to Glasgow ☺️ now he learned the word sustainability 😉

Don't worry, it's another one day wonder and will soon be forgotten once they realise it costs money.

What is that demented Junta clown doing mixing with actual educated politicians? I wonder if he has the brass neck to open his mouth and say something with his Military Academy education and probably with an low IQ like his fellow countrymen.

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Good riddance for Khoa San. It was a den of crooks and schemes. 

Just now, LoongFred said:

Oh you must have been there a lot then. I hadn’t realised you were so expert on the place. Post some pictures please… 

Were you referring only to Khao San or the whole of Thailand when you say it’s a den of crooks and schemes? 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:40 PM, DiJoDavO said:

PM Prayut urges a new Thailand

Ok, so when are the elections?

This unelected PM has Thailand under a Junta dictatorship, doesn't need any elections when he can rule this country at the point of a gun along with the rest of his soldiers.

On 11/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, Bob20 said:

He's been allowed on a school trip to Glasgow ☺️ now he learned the word sustainability 😉

Don't worry, it's another one day wonder and will soon be forgotten once they realise it costs money.

or figure out a way to line their pockets with it:)

21 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Oh you must have been there a lot then. I hadn’t realised you were so expert on the place. Post some pictures please… 

Were you referring only to Khao San or the whole of Thailand when you say it’s a den of crooks and schemes? 

Never stayed or visited it, but I know a lot from my Thai friends. 

I live in the far north and there isn't a lot of crooks and schemes.  Maybe a hit man if needed, but I have no experience. People here are very honest and true. They are also very prosperous as a whole. Most of the younger people are busy getting a university education, so there is a hole in the demographics from 18-25. However they return and visit us during break. Covid changed that but they are gone again. 

Thanks for asking.

49 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

You for sure not know Bangkok or anything about tourism in Thailand.

7 hours ago, TukTuk said:

There are ~5+ times as many Thai's living in the States, than western expats living in Thailand. Do you ever wonder why so many Thai people left and can afford to live in the USA?

No.

7 hours ago, Thommo said:

This sounds ike you! a person characterized by or showing prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group

Did you miss 'woefully mis-informed' off your list?

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

Chinese visitors in Thailand 

Chinese visitors have an average length of stay of 8 days and spending per person of up to 41,390 Baht or 1,100 euros.   

Welcome to the present day. 

Correct, @Poolie, times change.

The Chinese aren't the most popular tourists anywhere, except maybe in China, but they spend as much here as many Westerners and busloads of Chinese on 'zero dollar' tours following someone with a flag round Lotus and Boyztown gawping at the sights in Pattaya for the day make up a tiny part of that.

8 hours ago, Poolie said:

I'd be interested to learn how they qualified for residency..

Me too.

I was in Chinatown in Orlando, Florida the other day.

Asian Grocery the size of Tesco Lotus Super Store

Except for the cashiers, no one speaks a word of English.

They have live seafood section.

Older Chinese all they do is cut and clean fish all day for customers.

What kind of VISA allows that?

11 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

Me too.

Maybe they don’t want to talk to you. They are busy working.

6 hours ago, Stardust said:

I agree but remember the time before covid khao san road the islands with the full moon parties you saw restaurants, bars, clubs full packed and spending money. So I was referring what we experienced in Thailand and compare the spendings to this bus tours we experienced.

Also flowing with drugs, I think. Is this a benefit for Thailand?

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Also flowing with drugs, I think. Is this a benefit for Thailand?

Ask the ex minister about flour but he was definetly not a backpacker. By the way khao san is the tourist epicenter at the songkhran festival. But I no more answer because you not know anything about Bangkok or Thais.

1 hour ago, TukTuk said:

Me too.

I haven't a clue. Never needed one.

18 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I think he would be telling someone to say that for him.

Ur right..I forgot about his nephew Somchai....