News Forum - Killing off retirement opportunities in Thailand – OPINION

Thaiger

On 11/2/2021 at 3:02 AM, Sandbar said:

Unfortunately I find the Thai intellect and foresight fairly shallow. Their thought and decision making is very reactionary. Thier disrespect (government officials) towards foreigners is well documented and unwarranted. They have an inferiority complex against western society and it's spoils. This all due to a country that has been in conflict and turmoil with its self for years, and run by egotistical corrupt politicians. 

What you mean is they don't value your presence.  When many only complain and complain, they probably have heard enough. I'm not promilitary government and would prefer another way, but they have had minimal affect on my life, so it's not my place to complain. 

I look at my country,USA, and have more to complain about with failing policies and attempts to up taxes.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:27 PM, Soidog said:

Do you have a link to that specific insurance? I’ve looked at this company before, and while they offer some good products, I can’t find one that covers anything more than “Travel Insurance (including medical cover) up to a maximum of 56 days per trip.  

https://www.hansemerkur.de/langfristige-auslandskrankenversicherungen#section_49004

The ludicrous part is that if there really was a problem with unpaid medical bills a fee charged to each retiree would more than cover any unpaid hospital bills.  I have no idea how any can go unpaid given that whenever I show up at a hospital they require insurance and cash up front.  Usually both. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Thank you. My German is no so good but it seems you have to be a German citizen to use these policies? 

I am not sure, maybe ask per Mail?

Also you have to start the insurance before you leave. That probably means it cant be done when in Thailand already.

And they give no numbers. How high is the max amount per case or per year etc. So maybe "local prices" (quote from the page) is more like Banglamung Hospital than Bangkok Pattaya?! 🙃

3 minutes ago, Jinjok said:

I am not sure, maybe ask per Mail?

Also you have to start the insurance before you leave. That probably means it cant be done when in Thailand already.

And they give no numbers. How high is the max amount per case or per year etc. So maybe "local prices" (quote from the page) is more like Banglamung Hospital than Bangkok Pattaya?! 🙃

Thanks. I’ll look in to it further. Appreciate the link 👍🏻

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Outrageous prices compared to what? The prices in Thai hospitals are always reasonable. Can't speak for Pattaya and/or Phuket though. My root canal the other day was 6000 baht (2 visits) by a professor from CMU. Perfect and no pain. 

IMO Thai doctors are very much on a par with the US. 

Privately?

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Privately?

At a private clinic. My wife and I also had our teeth cleaned @500 baht each. My wife remarked that their equipment and care was even better than the US. I might add that we were always pleased with our dental care in US.

6 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

At a private clinic. My wife and I also had our teeth cleaned @500 baht each. My wife remarked that their equipment and care was even better than the US. I might add that we were always pleased with our dental care in US.

I've fortunately never had any real dental issues ( in over six decades, one rear wisdom tooth removed, and a few surface fillings where the enamel has been worn down by over zealous brushing) but I've always had it done privately here as the costs are minimal - and EXACTLY the same for Thais or foreigners.

As for any "outrageous prices" at state hospitals, I'm beginning to wonder if some people here were only outraged because they weren't paid for honouring the hospitals with their presence 😯.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

I've fortunately never had any real dental issues ( in over six decades, one rear wisdom tooth removed, and a few surface fillings where the enamel has been worn down by over zealous brushing) but I've always had it done privately here as the costs are minimal - and EXACTLY the same for Thais or foreigners.

As for any "outrageous prices" at state hospitals, I'm beginning to wonder if some people here were only outraged because they weren't paid for honouring the hospitals with their presence 😯.

Those from places that have socialized (free) medicine think it should be then same here. Unfortunately they don't realize they are paying a heavy price in taxes at home to cover it. Thais cover other Thais with the 30 baht plan, but non Thais are expected to pay. Although there are different tiers the prices are very reasonable. I call it being personal responsible and not taking advantage of our hosts.

56 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Those from places that have socialized (free) medicine think it should be then same here. Unfortunately they don't realize they are paying a heavy price in taxes at home to cover it. Thais cover other Thais with the 30 baht plan, but non Thais are expected to pay. Although there are different tiers the prices are very reasonable. I call it being personal responsible and not taking advantage of our hosts.

Thailand also has reciprocal health agreements (RHAs) with other countries that give them similar subsidised treatment here, instead of just at minimally low cost for foreigners.

I'm sure that if western countries were willing to reciprocate, as countries like Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar have, then Thailand would have RHAs with them too.

Instead of Westerners complaining about Thailand - and even to Thailand, as has been suggested - maybe they should be pushing their own countries to agree to RHAs with Thailand instead, and then the problem would be solved.

... and after all, there are far more retired Brits, Aussies, Yanks, etc here than there are retired Thais over there so those countries would be on to a winner if they cared about their own citizens and the taxes they'd paid ... 

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

if they cared about their own citizens

That's a bit of a stretch that is. Most countries didn't even care about their own average citizens survival in the midst of the covid pandemic when it came to covid vaccinations so I doubt very much whether they will take any interest in ensuring dental charges are reciprocated.

26 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's a bit of a stretch that is. Most countries didn't even care about their own average citizens survival in the midst of the covid pandemic when it came to covid vaccinations so I doubt very much whether they will take any interest in ensuring dental charges are reciprocated.

Well, "if"  - some reciprocal arrangements, rather than 'what's yours should be shared, but what's ours stays ours'.

If Westerners in Thailand want to share in the Thai national health system all they have to do is persuade their own countries to allow Thais to share on an equal basis in their own national health systems  -  that's what RHAs are for.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:29 AM, NidNoi said:

I am not so sure about your last statement about the GDP. The following graph seems to go the opposite way. It went down 6.1% in 2020 while Vietnam went up 2.9%. Maybe it has to do with the lack of foreign investment.  Also the graph shows the stagnation of the economy since the army is in charge.

11550C6C-2328-4132-AB34-D7CA282F17D7.png

It is not my statement that's why there is a link to the actual article.

8 hours ago, LoongFred said:

When ever I see comments like this, I have to ask?

What does your wife know about dental equipment to say it is better than the USA?

Did she make a list and compare the brands?

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, "if"  - some reciprocal arrangements, rather than 'what's yours should be shared, but what's ours stays ours'.

If Westerners in Thailand want to share in the Thai national health system all they have to do is persuade their own countries to allow Thais to share on an equal basis in their own national health systems  -  that's what RHAs are for.

Most countries do allow Thais to share on an equal basis in their own national health care systems 

If they live in a country permanently or work temporarily, most countries allow Thais to access the exact same health care as their citizens 

The issue is in Thailand, most expats aren't, what most countries would call "landed immigrants"

My wife was eligible to get her "Care Card" in Canada the minute she had her work permit 

Even in the US, with no national health system, if they are working or married they would be eligible for the same exact employer sponsored insurance as any citizen 

On 11/2/2021 at 2:56 PM, NidNoi said:

“…when the Junta is thrown out in the 2023 elections.” I’ll burn a candle for this to happen but I am not as optimistic as you are. We may have the same situation as Myanmar during the short live “democratic” attempt with the generals keeping the main ministries and a fair chunk of the parliament seats.

Yes that is a concern - they may refuse to go and decide to stay (again). 

Then it will be up to the Thai people, and the International Community.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:11 AM, yetanother said:

you are one lucky guy, having  her, AND you listen to her, good on you ;

mine is ok;

one thing all of us expats here want, a smart thai wife

But not too smart 😁     Had a smart western one once - knew everything about everything she was taught about, but knew nothing about anything she didnt learn (or want to learn) - and she had no common sense or rational reason.  

1 minute ago, AussieBob said:

But not too smart 😁     Had a smart western one once - knew everything about everything she was taught about, but knew nothing about anything she didnt learn (or want to learn) - and she had no common sense or rational reason.  

Was she a blonde 😂

3 hours ago, TukTuk said:

What does your wife know about dental equipment to say it is better than the USA?

Of course she didn’t. It’s just another example of an expat trying to justify his decision to turn his back on a country most Thais would give their right arm to be citizens of. No one likes to admit they have made a miscalculation in life and that’s why people criticise their own country and talk up a developing country like Thailand. I just don’t know why they can’t be honest and tell it how it is. 

The only things Thailand is good for better than most European or most parts of the US are (in no particular order)

You can find a woman with looks and age that you wouldn’t stand a chance with back home   

Some things are cheaper but not better value

Its warmer but overall the weather is not better

You can booze and party late if that’s your thing. Great for a holiday but not the way to live long term

You can park more easily

Food is different but no better

People are friendlier, at least superficially

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Probably more than most people here. The point is we were very pleased.

Please take it as a compliment to Thai dental care and not a point to argue

46 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Probably more than most people here. The point is we were very pleased.

Please take it as a compliment to Thai dental care and not a point to argue

I gotta put my nose in here and say I agree Fred - although Australia, not USA. The Thai wife and I always get our teeth cleaned in Thailand - and they do a far better job for far less money and use much better equipment than here in Australia. I assume the USA are the same as Aust.   If someone doesnt know it, in Thailand they regularly have their teeth cleaned and repaired - just look at all their beautiful smiles.  Thai dentists have to keep up to date and charge reasonable fees and use the best equipment, or they dont get that regular business.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I gotta put my nose in here and say I agree Fred - although Australia, not USA. The Thai wife and I always get our teeth cleaned in Thailand - and they do a far better job for far less money and use much better equipment than here in Australia. I assume the USA are the same as Aust.   If someone doesnt know it, in Thailand they regularly have their teeth cleaned and repaired - just look at all their beautiful smiles.  Thai dentists have to keep up to date and charge reasonable fees and use the best equipment, or they dont get that regular business.    

Healthcare in general is very good here. My perspective comes from >40 years in healthcare in the US. Sure some doctors/dentists are better in both places,  but overall the quality and services are first rate.