News Forum - Killing off retirement opportunities in Thailand – OPINION

Thaiger

<content deleted and warning to desist from further snide remarks - what did you hope to achieve by digging up aa 6-day old comment?  -  Anymore nonsense may earn a holiday>

Edited by KaptainRob
Perhaps we are fed up with your negativity and nonsense. 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:20 PM, harry1 said:

having retired here 20 years ago,l have no rights here at all,mostly repetitive paperwork,although thailand claims to be digital 4.0 ? the 90 days website havent worked from day 1 unnecessary more documentation why cant the authority give out foreign ID status and be done with buearocracy .allow freehold retirement status.over recent years has been a decline in welcoming expats with dinosaur rules.in my country when a thai is allowed to live or work ,they are given same status as everyone else.for the first in 20 years l feel intimidated and unwelcome.perhaps it different in up country and more friendly,but where l live its become more hostile.l have invested and support local charities,but to the present authorities,it means nothing ? hugely disappointed as l have integrated and supported local businesses ,lm considering my options

For someone so unhappy being here, it seems insanity to stay. Time to apply your options or stop complaining. Being negative and bitter only makes you age faster. 

isn't it reported in THAIGER the health insurance premium for.OA visa has to.go.up to 3 million soon? (from inpatient 400000 orginally)

having lived in thailand for two years or so, it seems to me Nike's motto JUST DO IT is popular here for public policy making! but it is doubtful what discussed in media channel has any real impact or big effect, as.evident all along

In a way, taking a positive view and look at the harsh realities now (especially when the prospect retiree has other alternative as he is still not too old) is better than finding out or facing even more unfavourable situation in the mid or longer term future, when it is really too late to plan otherwise or leave

On 11/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, longwood50 said:

As I have read the news very little is lost by the hospitals for unpaid medical bills.  I know this if retirees at normal retirement age look at Thailand and they say in a few years I won't be able to obtain insurance, they will eliminate Thailand as a retirement choice. 

Also those already living here whether rentals, or ownership of a condo/home will have to leave that property.  That will further depress the rental market and with more properties for sale depress the condo/home market even more. 

Personally, I don't see how this can be a problem When I go to a hospital they require both insurance and/or payment up front.  If I don't pay, I don't get service.  

i think what you said could be correct but the government claimed that expats defaulted big amount of hospital bills unpaid and that's why mandatory health insurance introduced for OA retirees

Honestly it is difficult to.comprehend why this (clever trick)could solve the unpaid bill problem as most insurers do not cover pre-existing condition (which could likely cause.major health problem and large bill for the insured)

Hospitals could simply charge expats a lump sum beforehand and return the unused portion to the patient and problem solved, or immigration help to blacklist those in default, so the mandatory health insurance is simply an ineffective way supposed to help recovering hospital loss but create big burden shared by honest longstay retirees, which is not very justifiable, and the premium could escalate further as the default getting more severe

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, Soidog said:

a few litres of unleaded petrol to burn them when they die !!

No way they burning me  wit that  filth, I want  full benzene 95.....personall y dont think they think anything about foreigners, probably  get  blanketed  in with migrant workers

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

Lest we  forget those who shelled  out  a  million or  more with "elite" to now  be told they must insure  also.

Bigger fools them, just so many of them could say " Look at me"

20 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

No way they burning me  wit that  filth, I want  full benzene 95.....personall y dont think they think anything about foreigners, probably  get  blanketed  in with migrant workers

Foreign workers have more rights, they are allowed to work and don't go through all the crap a farlung cops.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:32 AM, Changnam43 said:

A very well written opinion.

I am under 70 but it is impossible for me to get medical insurance due to a medical condition.

In the event that I required expensive medical treatment here I could and would pay for the treatment required from my savings which are way over US$50,000.  

Sadly that counts for nothing as far as Thai immigration are concerned.

Can you get travel insurance? I was never really asked any questions for travel insurance

Edited by dj230

2 hours ago, ken said:

i think what you said could be correct but the government claimed that expats defaulted big amount of hospital bills unpaid and that's why mandatory health insurance introduced for OA retirees

Well according to this article the normal amount unpaid by all foreigners both those living in Thailand plus tourists amounts to about 450 million baht per year.   They don't break down how much is expatriates and how much tourists,  There are approximately 38 million tourists in a normal year so for a 100 baht fee, it would raise 4 billion that could be put into a fund to cover unpaid expenses.  Even if all of the unpaid expenses were due to expatriates which number 70,000 a fee of 6,000 baht would cover any unpaid amount.  Some combination of a fee to incoming tourists and expatriates would seem reasonable since tourists must in part have some of the unpaid expenses and if you are never a tourist, you likely will never be a retiree in Thailand.  

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/destitute-foreigners-in-thailand-and-unpaid-hospital-bills-360259

image.thumb.png.61451c32dfb98490f3a520ba7f67f823.png