News Forum - Killing off retirement opportunities in Thailand – OPINION

Thaiger

16 hours ago, TukTuk said:

You are thinking like a foreigner.

Just because you claim to spend money, it doesn't amount to a needle in a haystack in the big picture.

GDP in Thailand is expected to reach 546.00 USD Billion by the end of 2021 (https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp)

I am not so sure about your last statement about the GDP. The following graph seems to go the opposite way. It went down 6.1% in 2020 while Vietnam went up 2.9%. Maybe it has to do with the lack of foreign investment.  Also the graph shows the stagnation of the economy since the army is in charge.

11550C6C-2328-4132-AB34-D7CA282F17D7.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gummy said:

Some excellent points you made.  However the "welcome policy" you mention appeared to me to become an "unwelcome policy" from around 2010 onwards, that is both from  business and personal  perspectives ad most certainly more acute since 2016/17.  Not of course from the normal Thai people as nothing has changed, their always welcoming, but the Thai government has certainly introduced some measures, official and unofficial that gives one the opinion that the trend to deter foreigners was and still is unspoken policy irrespective of the fact that many of us have been here years with Thai families.

Fair enough. And yes, fairly reducing some of those restrictions and being more open would help in boosting a recovery and aid myself if I need to leave and return to the country at some stage.

In my experience, a more restrictive style is not uncommon with ex-military governments. Perhaps it is a trust and secrecy thing drilled into them as officers. Letting go of such beliefs would seem to be challenging but definitely would also help! 

However I accept and live with the fact that the most of what I can do is offer an opinion, live with the requirements and deal with them as quickly as possible (like doing my extension right now). All so I can continue as much of the life I chose by marrying my Thai wife and choosing freely to live in this beautiful country.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AussieBob said:

The post is very accurate and a true reflection of the ever increasing bad news for Expats since the Junta took over.  Many Expats who are currently living in Thailand on a marriage visa and supporting a Thai family, came over as a Retiree.  Those Expats will not come in the future - not just because of the insurance, but because of the Junta.   Remember when PM Prayut said: "Good Guys In, Bad Guys Out" ?   What has happened since then has clearly shown that the translation from Thai to English was wrong.  The correct saying has been shown to be : "Expats Out, Rich Tourists In". 

As my Thai wife says, whenever the Military take over in Thailand, things go bad for the average poor Thai person, and go very good for the wealthy ones.  I am somewhat reluctant to even visit Thailand over the next few years, because that actually supports the Junta.  The less people that visit Thailand in 2022/23, the better off the average Thai person will be when the Junta is thrown out in the 2023 elections. 

“…when the Junta is thrown out in the 2023 elections.” I’ll burn a candle for this to happen but I am not as optimistic as you are. We may have the same situation as Myanmar during the short live “democratic” attempt with the generals keeping the main ministries and a fair chunk of the parliament seats.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, at least we don't have to pay over 100,000 baht just to change the visa which is what a Thai on a family visa would have to pay in the UK if they didn't have a right to remain and their British  husband / wife died... plus another 100,000 baht each for any kids also on a family visa 😯

I know nothing about the UK and that system, but after just looking it seems probable that the married Thai after spending time (2 yrs) with her husband or his wife would already easily have a PR administered rather than not. The small fee money is irrelevant as their family visas are 5 years and quite easy to extend once you have them. I will read more into it, but it looks like comparing UK apples with Thai shriveled prunes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Fair enough. And yes, fairly reducing some of those restrictions and being more open would help in boosting a recovery and aid myself if I need to leave and return to the country at some stage.

In my experience, a more restrictive style is not uncommon with ex-military governments. Perhaps it is a trust and secrecy thing drilled into them as officers. Letting go of such beliefs would seem to be challenging but definitely would also help! 

However I accept and live with the fact that the most of what I can do is offer an opinion, live with the requirements and deal with them as quickly as possible (like doing my extension right now). All so I can continue as much of the life I chose by marrying my Thai wife and choosing freely to live in this beautiful country.

We may have reason to complain from time to time but there is one thing the Thai government can never change - the beautiful weather 

1 hour ago, farang said:

one other thing about the insurance.most all of the 70 plus age retired guys already have insurance in their home country that pays as well in thailand,some cases you pay the bill in thai and get it  paid back to you in your own country.but most thai embassies wont accept it.so that puts most older tourtist haveing to pay  two  insurances.and thats quite a chunck of cash.so yes i think a 1,000 baht fee paid on arrival would be a great way to cover it and drop the insurance required to buy in thai.ive used my usa at least 3 times over the years and paid there got my stamped paid bill and turned it in when back in usa.and as far as any skiping out on a hospital bill,just turn it in to immigration with a flag on it and the guy has to pay it to leave on his flight.easy fix. chock dee to all.

Sounds like you should get travel insurance that covers your stay here. The new directive does indicate they accept foreign policies so that may work. Good luck.

I too have compressive insurance in the US but have always paid because it hasn't been worth the hassle to get a refund. 

1 hour ago, NidNoi said:

I am not so sure about your last statement about the GDP. The following graph seems to go the opposite way. It went down 6.1% in 2020 while Vietnam went up 2.9%. Maybe it has to do with the lack of foreign investment.  Also the graph shows the stagnation of the economy since the army is in charge.

11550C6C-2328-4132-AB34-D7CA282F17D7.png

Yes this I saw often that some clowns not can read numbers and don't know what a contraction means. Some gave me this number and thought it is the economy grow. Also this clowns not understand that yearly state household deficits and private households debts of 98 % without possibility to compensate that creates a huge liquidity shortage. But he really doesn't it what this means, so I asked if you have to pay every month from your monthly income interests and your debts , you have more money every month to spend for shopping or less? Guess what he really needed time to think about.

1 hour ago, gummy said:

We may have reason to complain from time to time but there is one thing the Thai government can never change - the beautiful weather 

Thats true. And the beautifull Thailand deserve something better as all this mess they created.

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Some excellent points you made.  However the "welcome policy" you mention appeared to me to become an "unwelcome policy" from around 2010 onwards, that is both from  business and personal  perspectives ad most certainly more acute since 2016/17.  Not of course from the normal Thai people as nothing has changed, their always welcoming, but the Thai government has certainly introduced some measures, official and unofficial that gives one the opinion that the trend to deter foreigners was and still is unspoken policy irrespective of the fact that many of us have been here years with Thai families.

2016 and 17 you could experience the exodus of people and businesses mistly to Vietnam, Singapore. It was shocking and I thought now they should understand what mess they are creating but Clowns are not able to reflect and have no competence to understand circumstances. All failed many maybe forgot already utapao hub (Airbus) or Thailand 4.0 etc etc. And they have zero knowledge about economy or even to count or understand numbers. Even in this forum there was one poster who is thinking a contraction of almist 7% means the economic growth, unbelievable but they are really dumb like hell and seams to be like brainwashed maniacs who cannot reflect anything and thinking they are the good ones and smart.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jojo said:

I have visited Thailand on several occasions and I have seen how tourists and retirees help the poorer people of Thailand by spending money on street food and have a drink in the bars and on the beaches. By buying the locally made souvenirs and using local transport. A lot also use hotels and apartments and use all the services that the locals provide. I made several friends and acquaintances in Thailand. When Covid came and most had their livelihoods vanished  I was asked to help. I sent money to some for food and for rent. 
I can not think why the Thai government wants to make it harder to visit Thailand or to retire in Thailand. A small levy on tourists could easily replace the huge cost to the health insurance that a retire has to pay. In the end when the retire passes on his or her money can be made to remain in Thailand. 
it is not to much to ask. A 100 bath levy on tourists is not going to make much difference but it will help the retirees spend their money in the local economy instead to insurance companies where it makes only the companies richer. Maybe the government itself should insure retirees at a reasonable rate and use the money for its public hospitals instead. 
Joseph

The ones in charge would allocate those funds generated to offset medical expenses for something else!

They would just institute some obscure   Law or make a new proposal that gives them permission to subvert the funds! 
Too many fingers in the Khaao niaao basket 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dirkzett said:

What the heck.
 Their country, their rules.
 Other countries also have beautiful daughters... 

If that's your criteria then ok, pack your bags and off you go. 

24 minutes ago, riclag said:

The ones in charge would allocate those funds generated to offset medical expenses for something else!

They would just institute some obscure   Law or make a new proposal that gives them permission to subvert the funds! 
Too many fingers in the Khaao niaao basket 

Yes that does make sticky fingers that are finger licken good. With a decent government, I mean a real honest government then there should be a mouse trap in that sticky rice. But I think the general consensus is just attach to a fee to the entry ticket or attach a fee to our renewals. Problems solved. For renewals it could be:

20 + 15,000 because they are more apt to get into something and hurt

30/49 10,000 and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

50 + 15,000   and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

55    17,500   and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

60 + 20,000  and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit
65    22,500  and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

70  25,000   and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit
75/100+ 30,000 and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

The medical bank deposit could be used for local fees and funeral services or extras no accounted for health services. Anything even like accident fault.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes that does make sticky fingers that are finger licken good. With a decent government, I mean a real honest government then there should be a mouse trap in that sticky rice. But I think the general consensus is just attach to a fee to the entry ticket or attach a fee to our renewals. Problems solved. For renewals it could be:

20 + 15,000 because they are more apt to get into something and hurt

30/49 10,000 and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

50 + 15,000   and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

55    17,500   and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

60 + 20,000  and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit
65    22,500  and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

70  25,000   and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit
75/100+ 30,000 and 100,000 baht medical bank deposit

The medical bank deposit could be used for local fees and funeral services or extras no accounted for health services. Anything even like accident fault.

Sounds very reasonable to me. 

26 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Sounds very reasonable to me. 

Yeah, as always said, no one wants anything for free and this way everyone could be covered and not worry about any preconditions or age or dealing with the insurance agencies tread mill. It would make the government in a sense the primary health care giver and they would probably make a boat load of money on it. Ofcourse some conditions so it cannot be abused should apply. But it should cover dental as well and medical predicaments, but all with in reason and not subject to how insurance companies deny you.

They could also attach a physical and doctor visit are not covered as these never cost that much at all.

This would be very reasonable and a win for them and a win win for all of us expats who are lifers here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

2016 and 17 you could experience the exodus of people and businesses mistly to Vietnam, Singapore. It was shocking and I thought now they should understand what mess they are creating but Clowns are not able to reflect and have no competence to understand circumstances. All failed many maybe forgot already utapao hub (Airbus) or Thailand 4.0 etc etc. And they have zero knowledge about economy or even to count or understand numbers. Even in this forum there was one poster who is thinking a contraction of almist 7% means the economic growth, unbelievable but they are really dumb like hell and seams to be like brainwashed maniacs who cannot reflect anything and thinking they are the good ones and smart.

You need to follow those "who know better" the train runs all the way to Singapore so no problem. Things are changing and not how you want.

20 hours ago, Craig said:

Nice piece but your “would of, could of, should of’s” don’t work with the way the government here sees things.  I’m retired at 50 and wouldn’t dare buy property or a wife here.  Yes, I said “buy” because you’re right- farangs are ATM’s here.  I think a soi dog has more value than farangs and even though I have the money and health insurance, I will gladly leave eventually.  Good luck to those who stay or can’t leave.  

Lol!  Maybe many farangs are ATMs, but some are lucky and find some women that are not needing farang financial assistance.  My Thai gal is a businesswoman for an international company and makes more money than my pension provides.  Also she owns a few properties, a condo in Bangkok, and a few months back completed construction on a new house for her parents all on her own baht (dime 🤣).  Several years ago she was a high school teacher at an international high school and a radio DJ host while in college and a few years after college.  Neither careers paid good salaries and her friend recruited her into her current business, which is headquarters based in Canada.  We split our daily expenses 50/50 and take turns paying for international travel (not recently due to restrictions), so she isn’t my ATM either.  So I am fortunate and don’t have to buy her property and a house since she already took care of that which is a lucky bonus.  Also her being well educated is intellectually challenging for me.  When we do get married, it will cost me more “Sin Sod” dowry when “I buy her 😂” due to her higher education and status in Thai society.  We end up getting the Sid Sod and gold back after the ceremony, as it is symbolic and I was told her parents will return it after.  I do get what you are saying, as I have been with a couple of gals a few years prior to meeting this one and things were similar to your description.   I have learned that being an ATM is not always the case after being introduced to this young lady.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, poohy said:

Many people on pensions today in uk have to !!

Precisely!!!!, just had my state pension forecast for when reach 66yo next year, £159 pw. 

Thank goodness for my private pension....... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billyburi said:

Precisely!!!!, just had my state pension forecast for when reach 66yo next year, £159 pw. 

Thank goodness for my private pension....... 

And they no doubt will be kind enough to give you the opportunity of paying tax on your private pension if combined they are over the personal allowance.

44 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Lol!  Maybe many farangs are ATMs, but some are lucky and find some women that are not needing farang financial assistance.  My Thai gal is a businesswoman for an international company and makes more money than my pension provides.  Also she owns a few properties, a condo in Bangkok, and a few months back completed construction on a new house for her parents all on her own baht (dime 🤣).  Several years ago she was a high school teacher at an international high school and a radio DJ host while in college and a few years after college.  Neither careers paid good salaries and her friend recruited her into her current business, which is headquarters based in Canada.  We split our daily expenses 50/50 and take turns paying for international travel (not recently due to restrictions), so she isn’t my ATM either.  So I am fortunate and don’t have to buy her property and a house since she already took care of that which is a lucky bonus.  Also her being well educated is intellectually challenging for me.  When we do get married, it will cost me more “Sin Sod” dowry when “I buy her 😂” due to her higher education and status in Thai society.  We end up getting the Sid Sod and gold back after the ceremony, as it is symbolic and I was told her parents will return it after.  I do get what you are saying, as I have been with a couple of gals a few years prior to meeting this one and things were similar to your description.   I have learned that being an ATM is not always the case after being introduced to this young lady.

I think I’ve seen you before mate. Is this you? 

13DE1104-21E8-4A3E-9FE9-A5ED3ADDD2A9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

I think I’ve seen you before mate. Is this you? 

13DE1104-21E8-4A3E-9FE9-A5ED3ADDD2A9.jpeg

Certainly a few people on here are keener on promoting their own back story rather than contributing to the actual  topic, by the way do you think he irons his own shirts or is that a silly question as now we will  get song and verse of how his wife owns a chain of laundrettes ?🙃

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

Certainly a few people on here are keener on promoting their own back story rather than contributing to the actual  topic, by the way do you think he irons his own shirts or is that a silly question as now we will  get song and verse of how his wife owns a chain of laundrettes ?🙃

Good question. I’m assuming like me they have “Staff” to do the ironing? I’ll ask my “Shirt ironing supervisor” when she arrives at Soidog Manor 🙃. They cleared security at the Gatehouse about 15 mins ago and on their way to the main house now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faraday said:

I expect the TT George Clooney also flies First Class too.

😂

Do you mean TT's George Clooney or was it TT's cloned Walter Mitty ? 😂

4 hours ago, gummy said:

Especially from November to February.

• Like 4