News Forum - Killing off retirement opportunities in Thailand – OPINION

Thaiger

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Heard you say this many times before. Easier said than done for their criteria they set, and as for other countries a piece of cake compared to here. That is what I am getting at. The odds are against you even if you are married.. And whom and how many do you know applied and won? It is not just that simple and easy to do for most.

Actually quite a few, but more to the point I don't know anyone who's persevered and been turned down.

The criteria can be met by a lot of people relatively easily, but many seem to give up because of the "burden of proof", and TBH most visa agents aren't really interested as it would be killing the geese that lay the golden eggs that keep them in business.

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I know nothing about the UK and that system, but after just looking it seems probable that the married Thai after spending time (2 yrs) with her husband or his wife would already easily have a PR administered rather than not. The small fee money is irrelevant as their family visas are 5 years and quite easy to extend once you have them. I will read more into it, but it looks like comparing UK apples with Thai shriveled prunes.

It's just one of many examples, @HolyCowCm.  I'm not suggesting that two wrongs make a right or trying to play down the issues, some of which are very true (and some of which aren't!), but just to put some perspective on a rather one-sided assault.

I've never come across so many people who are supporting Thailand so much financially, paying so much in taxes,  contributing so much to the Thai economy and keeping so many Thai businesses going but who are so unhappy about it 😂!

• Like 1

having retired here 20 years ago,l have no rights here at all,mostly repetitive paperwork,although thailand claims to be digital 4.0 ? the 90 days website havent worked from day 1 unnecessary more documentation why cant the authority give out foreign ID status and be done with buearocracy .allow freehold retirement status.over recent years has been a decline in welcoming expats with dinosaur rules.in my country when a thai is allowed to live or work ,they are given same status as everyone else.for the first in 20 years l feel intimidated and unwelcome.perhaps it different in up country and more friendly,but where l live its become more hostile.l have invested and support local charities,but to the present authorities,it means nothing ? hugely disappointed as l have integrated and supported local businesses ,lm considering my options

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

So you'll stop complaining until February.  

Maybe a winge or two during the hottest weeks or if new flood risks next year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, harry1 said:

why cant the authority give out foreign ID status and be done with bureaucracy.

They do "give foreign ID status" (the 'pink' ID card) but as it doesn't make any difference at all to the bureaucracy I've never bothered with it - like most people 😯.

... mostly repetitive paperwork,although thailand claims to be digital 4.0 ? 

... and after twenty years you believed them 😂?

the 90 days website havent worked from day 1 unnecessary more documentation

Well, when you first retired here it didn't exist, so at least it hasn't got any worse 😢.

in my country when a thai is allowed to live or work ,they are given same status as everyone else.

Well, if you were expecting to vote or buy land you came to the wrong place, but they hardly kept that a secret 😕.

... for the first in 20 years l feel intimidated and unwelcome.perhaps it different in up country and more friendly,but where l live its become more hostile.

That I'm genuinely sorry to hear, as I have to be honest and fair and to say that I hear that increasingly from the friends we left behind in and around Sin City where we'd lived very happily.  

Twenty or thirty years ago, even ten, nobody I knew wanted to be anywhere else.

We moved up country as it was simply the right time for a change for a multitude of reasons - which didn't include feeling intimidated or unwelcome.

I doubt it would suit any of my old friends up here, but despite the minor frustrations such as the annual trip to immigration it couldn't be more idyllic and we couldn't be happier.

It's not perfect, but nowhere is and on balance there's nowhere else I'd rather be and nobody else I'd rather be with by a country mile, but we all have a different take on what's important and what's acceptable in that balance 😇.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gummy said:

Certainly a few people on here are keener on promoting their own back story rather than contributing to the actual  topic, by the way do you think he irons his own shirts or is that a silly question as now we will  get song and verse of how his wife owns a chain of laundrettes ?🙃

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Good question. I’m assuming like me they have “Staff” to do the ironing? I’ll ask my “Shirt ironing supervisor” when she arrives at Soidog Manor 🙃. They cleared security at the Gatehouse about 15 mins ago and on their way to the main house now. 

Wow rough crowd on this forum.  I was only commenting on @Craig’s comment about farangs being ATM’s here in Thailand.  No commenting allowed unless one is a long term member on this site.  Not sure about the “Clooney” photo, but I guess it goes along with snarky remarks on ironing own shirts and a chain of launderettes plus “Staff”.   That part is funny though.

• Like 2

In many ways he has a point.

Many who intend to retire think about living costs, insurance, etc. If you look at, for example, Vietnam, Cambodia, the Philippines, Indonesia, etc., it has a lot to offer pensioners but also families with children, etc.

Doubtful if this is the right way. It was seen before Covid when the exchange rate became high and prices rose by 30% in a 3 years period that many chose other destinations.

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

You need to follow those "who know better" the train runs all the way to Singapore so no problem. Things are changing and not how you want.

You think this is good for Thailand. I guess you have no Thai family and no children. You not care about anybody expect yourself and living in your box. Sure you will never understand people who have to care for others or have to care for a business, company and the staff. The type of people who only think the whole about themself, the me me me type. Sure for me alone it is easy and very easy to go everywhere and live everywhere, but there are people they have to take care about families and have responsibilities but not to take any responsibility seams now the "new normal" . Because you are living that style you wrote it is not like I want was the sign you didn't got it. Your comments about the economy or  companies here I knew you never worked or saw one her from inside and even have any knowledge about the eastern corridor Chonbury (Banglamung) . I guess you don't even know that Pattaya belong to Banglamung. For sure the big companies and investors are not stupid and for sure they know it better than you . 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Admin: If you would please delete my comment since there is not delete of edit , as what I wrote did not contribute to this topic.

Just teasing mate. Don’t take it so seriously. The topic was about retirement opportunities being killed off which then went off topic to lifestyles in Thailand. 

Many long term visitors and expats in Thailand will know that it is entirely possible to meet decent hearted and hard working women in Thailand. However, for every one like that, there are perhaps 10 where the opposite is true. Much of that is down to the silly old guy who rocks up aged 60+ with beer belly and balding and actually believes the 22 year old beauty in the bar actually loves them. At best those relationships become more symbiotic in that the man provides the cash and the woman provides the sex (once a month), and at worst end up in a total disaster and even violence.  

You clearly have found a decent lady as many have. My own experience is that genuine Hi-So professional women (not teachers and nurses or civil servants£ would not go near a foreigner unless they are of a similar age and at least the same wealth. My cheeky jibe was to suggest that unless you look like George Clooney you would have found it difficult. 

Applogies if I offended and went too far, especially if you are relatively new to the forum. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

It's just one of many examples, @HolyCowCm.  I'm not suggesting that two wrongs make a right or trying to play down the issues, some of which are very true (and some of which aren't!), but just to put some perspective on a rather one-sided assault.

I've never come across so many people who are supporting Thailand so much financially, paying so much in taxes,  contributing so much to the Thai economy and keeping so many Thai businesses going but who are so unhappy about it 😂!

It's not about being unhappy, it's about the uncertainty of not always knowing where one stands and goal posts being moved inch by centimeter for most. For me I seem to be on pretty solid as can be ground for the time being and have money. But always looking for a better plateau to see the angle as things move. I think most foreign folk can take a small slap and say: thank you sir, can I have another!, but I most certainly say that unless you do have a PR or citizenship then everyone could be up on the chopping block for one reason or the other unless you have plan B. Never say never until; the fat j u nta bloke sings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harry1 said:

having retired here 20 years ago,l have no rights here at all,mostly repetitive paperwork,although thailand claims to be digital 4.0 ? the 90 days website havent worked from day 1 unnecessary more documentation why cant the authority give out foreign ID status and be done with buearocracy .allow freehold retirement status.over recent years has been a decline in welcoming expats with dinosaur rules.in my country when a thai is allowed to live or work ,they are given same status as everyone else.for the first in 20 years l feel intimidated and unwelcome.perhaps it different in up country and more friendly,but where l live its become more hostile.l have invested and support local charities,but to the present authorities,it means nothing ? hugely disappointed as l have integrated and supported local businesses ,lm considering my options

The 4.0 flops. Yes they think if they anounce something then it is done before even started like it fall from the sky. Bosch, siemens etc etc had their shocking moments about incompetence never seen before anywhere.

29 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

It's not about being unhappy, it's about the uncertainty of not always knowing where one stands and goal posts being moved inch by centimeter for most. For me I seem to be on pretty solid as can be ground for the time being and have money. But always looking for a better plateau to see the angle as things move. I think most foreign folk can take a small slap and say: thank you sir, can I have another!, but I most certainly say that unless you do have a PR or citizenship then everyone could be up on the chopping block for one reason or the other unless you have plan B. Never say never until; the fat j u nta bloke sings.

Agreed absolutely, @HolyCowCm, but what rock solid guarantees are there?

Some countries (no names 😂) no longer give "retirement visas" and some are even taking away citizenship ...

49 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Agreed absolutely, @HolyCowCm, but what rock solid guarantees are there?

Some countries (no names 😂) no longer give "retirement visas" and some are even taking away citizenship ...

Not many. But I am not on a retirement, and there is no clear answer. But it does look like a foreigner retirement culling. Happy I have kids and a 10 year younger wife that will more than likely outlive me and can figure it out from there. And am not on a marriage renewal either. So I kind of stand in a different area. Maybe can also have my kids flip it and do it another way. On the books that is.
What I am saying is they should find a more suitable way as retiree definitely contribute here more than their far heads will ever know. Talk about culling, if it was reversed I know who the majority of Thai would point to be terminated. Now probably all the small and medium Thai business people here who rely on tourism and sales day by day. It is just not the foreigners up in arms. Is it? Just waiting for that proverbial straw to break the good Thai people’s backs. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Just teasing mate. Don’t take it so seriously. The topic was about retirement opportunities being killed off which then went off topic to lifestyles in Thailand. 

Many long term visitors and expats in Thailand will know that it is entirely possible to meet decent hearted and hard working women in Thailand. However, for every one like that, there are perhaps 10 where the opposite is true. Much of that is down to the silly old guy who rocks up aged 60+ with beer belly and balding and actually believes the 22 year old beauty in the bar actually loves them. At best those relationships become more symbiotic in that the man provides the cash and the woman provides the sex (once a month), and at worst end up in a total disaster and even violence.  

You clearly have found a decent lady as many have. My own experience is that genuine Hi-So professional women (not teachers and nurses or civil servants£ would not go near a foreigner unless they are of a similar age and at least the same wealth. My cheeky jibe was to suggest that unless you look like George Clooney you would have found it difficult. 

Applogies if I offended and went too far, especially if you are relatively new to the forum. 

OK I get your G. Clooney gig now.  I wasn’t sure of your meaning as he certainly would be able to get the ladies on just his looks, but in the States he can be extremely politically offensive on certain issues to some, so could have two meanings.  I get your opposite analogy of the 60+ old balding beer belly foreigner believing “I love you no S*&%” as long as the ATM is kicking out the baht.  Not just here, but in other countries like here, as I had a few years overseas in the military and seen it before.  

Not offended, just realized it is a tougher crowd here and to watch out what I reply too in the future. It has been a while since I had my chops busted as a boot camp.  I get it that my comment was off topic from the OP.  My sarcastic brain kicked in and was laughing inside when I saw the ATM comment that I lost focus and stupidly made a comment on it.  

I don’t have the movie star looks as George C.  Just average farang with a head full of hair and no beer belly yet.  You are correct that professional women do not usually go near foreigners!  We had a mutual Thai friend that introduced us a couple years back when I was recovering from knee surgery or we probably would have never crossed paths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

It's not so bad.  We just have to wear this six pointed star now.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

It's not so bad.  We just have to wear this six pointed star now.

Yeah sort of like building them the pyramids and then being stepped on after as being insignificant as a human being. 

17 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

OK I get your G. Clooney gig now.  I wasn’t sure of your meaning as he certainly would be able to get the ladies on just his looks, but in the States he can be extremely politically offensive on certain issues to some, so could have two meanings.  I get your opposite analogy of the 60+ old balding beer belly foreigner believing “I love you no S*&%” as long as the ATM is kicking out the baht.  Not just here, but in other countries like here, as I had a few years overseas in the military and seen it before.  

Not offended, just realized it is a tougher crowd here and to watch out what I reply too in the future. It has been a while since I had my chops busted as a boot camp.  I get it that my comment was off topic from the OP.  My sarcastic brain kicked in and was laughing inside when I saw the ATM comment that I lost focus and stupidly made a comment on it.  

I don’t have the movie star looks as George C.  Just average farang with a head full of hair and no beer belly yet.  You are correct that professional women do not usually go near foreigners!  We had a mutual Thai friend that introduced us a couple years back when I was recovering from knee surgery or we probably would have never crossed paths.

To be fair to many Thai women, at least the ones who see you as an ATM are up front about it. It’s even worse in the U.K. or US where if things don’t work out, they take the house, car, half your business and half your potential pension!! I guess men always pay for love in the end, it’s just a matter of how we go about it!! 

Keep the posts coming 👍🏻

• Like 2

Hi guys, 

I can not judge about long term insurance as I'm not planning to retire, and still in my 30s. So, sorry if this is not relevant to 90% of the posters in this topic.

But I was wondering why the author thinks this will stop backpackers from coming.

The way I read it there is a decent chance my insurance (health + travel insurance) qualifies for entry, as I am covered even for catching covid abroad. Besides that, I just checked the AXA site they try to push on you everywhere, and 30 days would be about 3000 baht.

Now I am working under the assumption that most backpackers are in a similar situation, being from western countries which often have mandatory insurance and a similar economy. Also while perhaps they spend a bit less than me (i'm more what they call a flashpacker), around €70 extra on top of your flight, does not sound like something that would deter them.

Am I incorrect about the make-up of the majority backpacker-crowd? Or are they in your experience really so cheap they would stop coming if their travels cost €2-3 more per day?

Edited by FTF020
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, harry1 said:

If you are so unhappy it might be time to change pastures.  Do you also defend ordinary Thai people by being helpful and courteous? 

15 hours ago, Stonker said:

Probably also complain about the weather from there seat at the pub. Pubs are where people go to complain, I assume.

6 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Probably also complain about the weather from there seat at the pub. Pubs are where people go to complain, I assume.

People go to pubs to solve the trickiest problems of the world.  The problem is, that tanked up, they forget the solutions and have to do the whole thing again next day. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

Wow rough crowd on this forum.  I was only commenting on @Craig’s comment about farangs being ATM’s here in Thailand.  No commenting allowed unless one is a long term member on this site.  Not sure about the “Clooney” photo, but I guess it goes along with snarky remarks on ironing own shirts and a chain of launderettes plus “Staff”.   That part is funny though.

Ignore the haters. They're loath to admit that others have it better than they do.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 1:01 AM, Stonker said:

Could you give some examples of those "outrageous prices" that you know anyone's actually paid in a state hospital?

... or the "2 tiered medical bills" in a private hospital?

Just asking, as I've never paid "outrageous prices" in a state hospital nor have I ever seen a Thai getting charged less in a private hospital.

Outrageous prices compared to what? The prices in Thai hospitals are always reasonable. Can't speak for Pattaya and/or Phuket though. My root canal the other day was 6000 baht (2 visits) by a professor from CMU. Perfect and no pain. 

IMO Thai doctors are very much on a par with the US.